OU Vaporeon

Made those changes, I'll try and have the write up up by Friday.

Ubers not withstanding, the tiers go in descending order, so OU first, etc, so UU analysis will come eventually.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that sun teams are basically limited to hyper offense because of the weather changes, and the best sun setter in char-y can't hold a heat rock to lengthen the sun. That vape set completely stops your momentum, which you can't afford when the center of your strategy is essentially on a 5-turn limit.
Fair enough. I have incredibly limited experience with cleric Vaporeon, so I was more speaking theoretically.

Any Hydration-using tank set is completely outclassed by Manaphy while it is in OU, so that's not included.
While Manaphy in general outclasses Vaporeon as a user of Rest+Hydration, I think you could make an argument for the set. Because of it's better special bulk, Vaporeon is a better wall vs many pokes. Additionally, because of it's greater tendency to force out special attackers, it gets more opportunities to set up acid armor or rain dance. It's definitely worth a slot on a team that already has physical defenders.
I'll try to find some calculations to back this up.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
couple of things:

Overview said:
Water Absorb also turns one of those resistances into an immunity, and makes Vaporeon a great check to Water-types, especially by turning one of the most useful moves in the game in Scald into a disadvantage for the opponent.
Last part of that sentence sounds awkward, you're turning one of the most useful moves in the game into a disadvantage for the opponent? What is being turned around? Just split it up into two sentences, one about how Water Absorb helps Vaporeon deal with certain water types, and another sentence on how Vaporeon capitalizes greatly on Scald because it can switch into things like Greninja and fire off Scalds on opposing switch-ins.

Fix up the Clefable mention in Checks and Counters, Clefable beats Vaporeon easily with the Calm Mind set, and that is usually running Moonblast + Flamethrower / Fire Blast. I don't see much reason to use Thunderbolt at all on a Clefable. Toxic is rather uncommon as well, given how the common switch-ins for Clefable include things like Heatran, Genesect, Scizor, MVenu, and a bunch of other Poison/Steel types are immune to Toxic. I'd just remove mentions of those altogether.

Mega Lucario deserves a mention as well in set-up sweepers because you pretty much have to rely on a Scald burn to neuter a free Swords Dance, and if you let Mega Lucario get a Swords Dance up that's usually game, same applies for Pinsir. I realize you have those two in the powerful hitter sections but I think those count for set-up just as much. Honestly you could probably just make do without the powerful hitters section as you have Pokemon that can be considered "powerful" hitters in other sections, just look at Thundurus and Genesect. As for other things, a mention of NP Celebi would be nice here too, as it can set up easily and even attempt to pass boosts onto a different Pokemon.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
can you make the last slot roar / toxic / heal bell. phazing is just so great, toxic is nice when you have the luxury to run it, and heal bell is good for full/semi-stall teams that lack a blob or clefable or sylveon OR (usually the case) want to do something else with those (wish blobs, cm cleffy/sylv).

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
can you make the last slot roar / toxic / heal bell. phazing is just so great, toxic is nice when you have the luxury to run it, and heal bell is good for full/semi-stall teams that lack a blob or clefable or sylveon OR (usually the case) want to do something else with those (wish blobs, cm cleffy/sylv).
do this

Jukain

!_!
can you actually slash wish in the last slot of bp? sorry for flip-flopping like this, but i've found the move really good for healing members of the team without recovery, such as mega mawile, and even stuff like roar zapdos where you have no room for recovery. there are plenty of other defense passers, anyways, like (mega)zor, mega mawile, and scolipede. honestly, i would make it first slash, it's so good.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Haze should at worst be in Moves and not OO - being able to bone Baton Pass teams and 1v1 sweepers (i.e. CM Clefable / Crocune) is very enticing and being in OO just weird because you would never want to use it on your own Baton Pass team.

All right, so the new strategy dex is going up very soon and there are several Pokemon, including this one, that do not currently have completed analyses. thedeafelectrician, if you could please try to make this look presentable within the next day, that would be helpful. Please contact user darkie once you've made it look presentable (by that I mean "acceptable to be on-site") and refer to and update this pirate pad: https://www.piratepad.ca/p/dex_skeletons

This needs to be done by tomorrow afternoon (GMT -6), so make sure you get it done! If you can't make it look presentable in the next day, please say so in the pirate pad so someone else can make a quick skeleton of it. Thanks!

IMO, Baton Pass should be the first set on this analysis. The fact that they're considering suspecting full Baton Pass teams, of which Vaporeon is a staple on, should be enough to prove my point. Wish just faces WAY to much competition from Chansey/Blissey/Sylveon...

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I agree with LightningLuxray on this.

Also I am inclined to think that Acid Armor is more worthy to be a mandatory move. Sometimes Scolipede can get pressured out of Pokemon such as Talonflame. This leaves Vaporeon to possibly do the dirty work with building Def.

Do this and I'll re-look at it for a QC 3/3...

...assuming you're still alive thedeafelectrician

Last edited:
I agree with LightningLuxray on this.

Also I am inclined to think that Acid Armor is more worthy to be a mandatory move. Sometimes Scolipede can get pressured out of Pokemon such as Talonflame. This leaves Vaporeon to possibly do the dirty work with building Def.

Do this and I'll re-look at it for a QC 3/3...

...assuming you're still alive thedeafelectrician
Yup did them, didn't overhaul the overview since pass might be tested but I can if you want. My two analysis pokes are lower on the priority scale so I'm just hangin around.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
1) Change the checks and counter formatting so that there is a colon after the counter listed and remove the line break. For example

**Ferrothorn**: Ferrothorn counters Azumarill because resists dual stab and then it punches azu in the dick with power whip

2) move OO to where its supposed to go

this is good. Hopefully BP gets the boot and we can remove the BP set, but as of now QC: 3/3, Im beating C_M on this one

Last edited:
All done, somehow I barely noticed that I had never removed genesect and m-luke mentions so that's done too. GP time I guess, although I imagine that'll wait till after BP suspect since I would have to rewrite a bunch

Amcheck!
Additions

Removals
(Comments)

Overview
########

With very few viable users of Wish in OU, Vaporeon has carved itself a niche as one of the best users of the move. Maximum HP investment allows Vaporeon to pass Wishes of 232 HP, restoring a massive chunk of any Pokemon's health, and a 110 Special Attack stat allows it to have much more offensive presence than other users of the move.. Vaporeon's mono-Water typing is solid defensively, with only two weaknesses and four resistances. Water Absorb turns one of those resistances into an immunity, and makes Vaporeon a great check to Water-types, allowing it to switch into Pokemon such as Greninja relatively safely. Water Absorb is also especially useful in discouraging the use of Scald, which is otherwise one of the safest moves in the game. Baton Pass teams are stronger than ever, and Vaporeon is still a solid member of a Baton Pass team, being able to utilizcreate large Substitutes amlong with its many support options to keep the chain going.

Not all change is are good, ands the new weather mechanics have made Hydration stalling effectively useless. Powerful new attackers such as Thundurus and Mega-Venusaur can make life hard on Vaporeon, and Vaporeonit can become a set-up bait for sweepers if it does not run Roar or Toxic. Vaporeon is not a Pokemon that can simply be thrown onto a team and expected to wall everything, but can do its job very well with proper support.

Baton Passer
########
name: Baton Passer
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Acid Armor
move 4: Scald / Roar / Wish
ability: Water Absorb
item: Leftovers
nature: Bold (EVs come before Nature)
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Def / 128 Spe

Moves
========
Baton Pass can let Vaporeon pass different types of boosts that it or a teammate has accumulated, and Vaporeon functions well as an effective early to mid chain Baton Passer (Not sure if that was necessary. If it is, it should be in usage tips). Vaporeon can pass some of the largest Substitutes in Pokemon, which canis complemented further by boosted defenses. Scald is there to prevent Vaporeon from being a complete Taunt bait, and has the added benefit of being able to burn physical attackers trying to break Vaporeon. Vaporeon's natural bulk makes it incredibly effective at increasing the chain's defense with Acid Armor, and makes its Substitutes harder to break. Roar prevents Vaporeon from being phazed out, and can be especially useful if Vaporeon has been passd recieved speed boosts, as this will allow Vaporeon's Roar to go before the opponent's Roar or Whirlwind. Wish is Vaporeon's main niche in the standard set, and can be very useful in a Baton Passs set as well, reliably healing teammates who cannot heal themselves. Aqua Ring can be used to grant the entire chain permanent extra recovery, and is the equivalent of a free Leftovers. Wish can be used to recover HP somewhat reliably and create more Substitutes if necessary, but if you're taking that much damage it's probably better to switch to a Pokemon more suitable to handle the threat. As with many Baton Pass chain Pokemon, the moves you run on Vaporeon should be suited to the team's needs. While Baton Pass and Substitute are necessary, any combination of the other listed moves is feasible if your team already has someone to pass defense boosts or has Ingrain to prevent Roar +and Whirlwind phazing.

Set Details
========

128 Speed EVs allow Vaporeon at +2 to outspeed plus nature base 130 Pokemon, which is the highest relevant non-Deoxys speed tier in OU. 244 HP allows Vaporeon to make the largest HP Substitutes that it can while maintaining an entry hazard number, which is important since Baton Pass teams dictate plenty of switching. The remaining EVs are put into its weaker physical defense stat to maximize the defensive boosts and keep Vaporeon as bulky as possible. For the same reason, a Bold nature is also used to improve physical defense. Leftovers are the obvious choice for an item, ands it helps Vaporeon make as many Substitutes as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Substitute is something that needs to be kept up at all times as the chain is setting up in order to prevent status ands well as guarding against critical hits, and. Vaporeon can make the largest Substitutes of any Pokemon that has access to Baton Pass. (I think that was a bit redundant) If, for whatever reason there isn't a Substitute up, play as though you are always going to get hit with a critical hit. The last thing you want is to lose all of the boosts you have accumulated because a random critical hit broke through something. Vaporeon can set up Acid Armor against many things that Scolipede can not, such as Talonflame and Excadrill, giving it a niche in that regard. Users of Roar +and Whirlwind users are usually predictable, i. If your opponent sends in something like Skarmory, always Roar immediately even if it means eating a Brave Bird or giving up a layer of Spikes. If Ingrain hasd been passed, Vaporeon becomes nearly impossible to phaze, asince Roar and Whirlwind will no longer work and Dragon Tail will not do enough damage to break a Substitute at +2.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Scolipede and Gliscor that can pass speed boosts are necessary in any Baton Pass team, aiding both Vaporeon and the chain as a whole. Gliscor also has access to a fast Taunt, preventing opponents from using status or phazing moves. Smeargle can pass Ingrain to prevent Vaporeon from being forced out with Roared or Whirlwinded away, or Shell Smash to increase Vaporeon's speed. Mr. Mime with Soundproof and Encore can form a Baton Passing duo with Vaporeon that can effectively neutralize any Pokemon trying to set up alongside the chain. Vaporeon can follow Scizor in a chain as it appreciates the Iron Defense that Scizor passes, and. Scizor also draws the Fire-type moves that Vaporeon can set up on. As far as Baton Pass receivers, Espeon makes a great chain receiver with Magic Bounce and Stored Power, as does an Ingrained Clefable with Magic Guard. Kyurem-B and Mega-Lucario (Mega Lucario is banned, maybe you can replace this with another example) also falls into this category, but with using overwhelming power instead of abilities.

Wish Support
########
name: Wish Support
move 1: Wish
move 2: Protect
move 3: Scald
move 4: Roar / Toxic / Heal Bell
nature: Bold (EVs come before Nature)
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

Moves
========

Wish is the main move on the set, healing either 50% of Vaporeon's health or 232 points of a teammate's health. Protect ensures that Vaporeon will be healed by its own Wish, and can be used to scout opponent's moves. Scald has an incredibly useful 30% chance to burn the opponent, and hits decently hard off of Vaporeon's base 110 Special Attack stat. Roar allows Vaporeon to phaze out potential counters or set-up sweepers, and chip away at the opponent's health with hazard support. Toxic allows Vaporeon to cripple most walls, and cause reliable damage on things it may not be able to hurt. Heal Bell can be used for a full cleric type set while helping Vaporeon no longer fearbe unafraid by Toxic, but it also makes Vaporeon an extreme set-up bait if your opponent notices you lack both Toxic and Roar. Ice Beam provides good coverage with Scald, but isn't particularly powerful without investment and can struggle to deal damage even to Pokemon that are weak to it, such as Trevanent or Celebi. Haze allows Vaporeon to stop Baton Pass teams dead in their tracks, and also has the benefit of beingis nearly unblockable, but has a tough time finding a slot in its moves.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP investment allows you to pass the largest Wishes possible, and a Bold Nature with maximum defense is used take hits from physical attackers to complement Vaporeon's naturally high special bulk. With maximum defense investment, Vaporeon can comfortably take hits from support Landorus-T and Scizor while threatening back with Scald. Leftovers is an obvious choice for a defensive Pokemon, ands it allows Vaporeon to get some extra health back as it uses Protect.

Usage Tips
========

Vaporeon attracts Toxic like a magnet, a. Avoiding it through the use of Protect and switches will go a long way in increasing Vaporeon's survivability. The use of repeated Wishes puts your opponent in a situation where they will start trying to predict your passes; pay attention to how your opponent responds after a Wish, because you don't want a Pokemon to faint on a predicted switch. Before you need to pass Wishes, Scald is the move of choice, being able to do decent damage and potentially burn anything that comes in. If you're using Toxic, determine which status between Toxic poison and Burn status would be more detrimental to your opponent's team; this can be loosely determined in the Team Preview. If you're using Roar, it's important to keep Vaporeon healthy since you have to take a hit in order to Roar an opposing Pokemon out.

Team Options
========

Mega-Venusaur resists both of Vaporeon's weaknesses, is immune to Toxic, and greatly appreciates the healing Wish provides since it cannot hold Leftovers. Ferrothorn and Heatran from an excellent Water-Fire-Grass core with Vaporeon, patching up each other's weaknesses and spreading hazards and status. Skarmory is capable of taking most physical attacks aimed at Vaporeon, and can lay down hazards or phaze opponents. Support Landorus-T functions similarly with Stealth Rock, and can use U-Turn to maintain momentum. While that group spreads hazards, Excadrill can switch in on predicted Electric-type attacks aimed at Vaporeon and proceed to Rapid Spin any hazards away. Goodra is capable of easily sponging Grass and Electric-type special moves aimed at Vaporeon, but fears Toxic just as much as Vaporeon does.

Other Options
########

Hidden Power Fire can be used to beat Ferrothorn, but has almost no use outside of that. Similarly, Hidden Power Grass helps Vaporeon get through Gastrodon or Quagsire, but both of those are vulnerable to Toxic anyway, and 4 SpAtk Vaporeon can only 2HKO, meaning you will get hit with Toxic in return. Surf can be used over Scald for the slight power boost, but Vaporeon needs the burn chance much more than the power.

Checks & Counters
########

**Status immune/resistant Pokemon**: Pokemon with high Special Defense and Natural Cure such as Blissey and Chansey leave Vaporeon unable to do anything and threaten with Toxic. Celebi also falls into theis category, and has Perish Song to completely shatter Baton Pass teams. Users of Magic Guard render Vaporeon's Scald burns and Toxic poison attempts useless, and Reuniclus can Calm Mind in Vaporeon's face while only being phazed out at best. Clefable functions in a similar way, and can use boosted Moonblasts to break through Vaporeon after a couple of boosts.

** Bulky Grass-types**: Vaporeon absolutely hates Leech Seed, as its large health total becomes a liability and allows opponents to regain large chunks of HP at once. Ferrothorn is one of the best Vaporeon switches in the game, capable of setting up hazards in its face or hitting Vaporeon with the aforementioned Leech Seed. Mega-Venusaur is immune to Toxic and, only slightly cares about burns, and can hit Vaporeon with either Leech Seed or Giga Drain to recover HP as well as heavily damage it. Poison Heal Breloom is only afraid of the uncommon Ice Beam, while Technician Breloom can easily OHKO with Bullet Seed as long as it avoids burn status.

**Electric-types**: Most Electric-types are frail special attackers, and don't particularly care about burn or Toxic. Life Orb Thundurus is strong enough to have a 75% chance to OHKO Vaporeon with Thunderbolt after Stealth Rock damage. While Rotom-W's Volt Switch does not do a lot of damage, Rotom-W can Toxic Vaporeon or use Volt Switch to gain momentum while taking pittance from any Vaporeon's moves. Zapdos also cleanly 2HKOs Vaporeon while it can only manage to Toxic Zapdos in return.

**Set-Up Sweepers**: Espeon can Calm Mind in front of Vaporeon, and cannot be Roared out due to Magic Bounce. If Vaporeon does not run Roar, then Substitute set-up sweepers become a massive problem, especially ones that resist Water, such as Kyurem-B and Gyarados. Lum Berry Haxorus can Dragon Dance against Vaporeon and then 2HKO with Dragon Claw if Vaporeon has any prior damage while having insurance against a burn. Nasty Plot Celebi can tank even super effective Ice Beams easily, Giga Drain to recover huge chunks of its health, and Baton Pass to pass on any boosts it may accumulate.
Overall, very good. There were a lot of commas though.

Copy/Paste
Overview
########
With very few viable users of Wish in OU, Vaporeon has carved itself a niche as one of the best users of the move. Maximum HP investment allows Vaporeon to pass Wishes of 232 HP, restoring a massive chunk of any Pokemon's health, and a 110 Special Attack stat allows it to have much more offensive presence than other users of the move. Vaporeon's mono-Water typing is solid defensively, with only two weaknesses and four resistances. Water Absorb turns one of those resistances into an immunity and makes Vaporeon a great check to Water-types, allowing it to switch into Pokemon such as Greninja relatively safely. Water Absorb is also especially useful in discouraging the use of Scald, which is otherwise one of the safest moves in the game. Baton Pass teams are stronger than ever, and Vaporeon is still a solid member of a Baton Pass team, being able to create large Substitutes along with its many support options to keep the chain going.

Not all changes are good, as the new weather mechanics have made Hydration stalling effectively useless. Powerful new attackers such as Thundurus and Mega-Venusaur can make life hard on Vaporeon and it can become a set-up bait for sweepers if it does not run Roar or Toxic. Vaporeon is not a Pokemon that can simply be thrown onto a team and expected to wall everything, but can do its job very well with proper support.

Baton Passer
########
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Def / 128 Spe
nature: Bold

Moves
========
Baton Pass can let Vaporeon pass different types of boosts that it or a teammate has accumulated. Vaporeon can pass some of the largest Substitutes in Pokemon, which is complemented further by boosted defenses. Scald is there to prevent Vaporeon from being a complete Taunt bait and has the added benefit of being able to burn physical attackers trying to break Vaporeon. Vaporeon's natural bulk makes it incredibly effective at increasing the chain's defense with Acid Armor and makes its Substitutes harder to break. Roar prevents Vaporeon from being phazed out and can be especially useful if Vaporeon had recieved speed boosts, as this will allow Vaporeon's Roar to go before the opponent's Roar or Whirlwind. Wish is Vaporeon's main niche in the standard set and can be very useful in a Baton Pass set as well, reliably healing teammates who cannot heal themselves. Aqua Ring can be used to grant the entire chain permanent extra recovery and is the equivalent of a free Leftovers. Wish can be used to recover HP somewhat reliably and create more Substitutes if necessary, but if you're taking that much damage it's probably better to switch to a Pokemon more suitable to handle the threat. As with many Baton Pass chain Pokemon, the moves you run on Vaporeon should be suited to the team's needs. While Baton Pass and Substitute are necessary, any combination of the other listed moves is feasible if your team already has someone to pass defense boosts or has Ingrain to prevent Roar and Whirlwind phazing.

Set Details
========

128 Speed EVs allow Vaporeon at +2 to outspeed plus nature base 130 Pokemon, which is the highest relevant non-Deoxys speed tier in OU. 244 HP allows Vaporeon to make the largest HP Substitutes that it can while maintaining an entry hazard number, which is important since Baton Pass teams dictate plenty of switching. The remaining EVs are put into its weaker physical defense stat to maximize the defensive boosts and keep Vaporeon as bulky as possible. For the same reason, a Bold nature is also used to improve physical defense. Leftovers are the obvious choice for an item as it helps Vaporeon make as many Substitutes as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Substitute is something that needs to be kept up at all times as the chain is setting up in order to prevent status as well as guarding against critical hits. Vaporeon can make the largest Substitutes of any Pokemon that has access to Baton Pass. If, for whatever reason there isn't a Substitute up, play as though you are always going to get hit with a critical hit. The last thing you want is to lose all of the boosts you have accumulated because a random critical hit broke through something. Vaporeon can set up Acid Armor against many things that Scolipede can not, such as Talonflame and Excadrill, giving it a niche in that regard. Users of Roar and Whirlwind are usually predictable. If your opponent sends in something like Skarmory, always Roar immediately even if it means eating a Brave Bird or giving up a layer of Spikes. If Ingrain had been passed, Vaporeon becomes nearly impossible to phaze as Roar and Whirlwind will no longer work and Dragon Tail will not do enough damage to break a Substitute at +2.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Scolipede and Gliscor that can pass speed boosts are necessary in any Baton Pass team, aiding both Vaporeon and the chain as a whole. Gliscor also has access to a fast Taunt, preventing opponents from using status or phazing moves. Smeargle can pass Ingrain to prevent Vaporeon from being forced out with Roar or Whirlwind, or Shell Smash to increase Vaporeon's speed. Mr. Mime with Soundproof and Encore can form a Baton Passing duo with Vaporeon that can effectively neutralize any Pokemon trying to set up alongside the chain. Vaporeon can follow Scizor in a chain as it appreciates the Iron Defense that Scizor passes. Scizor also draws the Fire-type moves that Vaporeon can set up on. As far as Baton Pass receivers, Espeon makes a great chain receiver with Magic Bounce and Stored Power, as does an Ingrained Clefable with Magic Guard. Kyurem-B also falls into this category, but with using overwhelming power instead of abilities.

Wish Support
########

Moves
========

Wish is the main move on the set, healing either 50% of Vaporeon's health or 232 points of a teammate's health. Protect ensures that Vaporeon will be healed by its own Wish, and can be used to scout opponent's moves. Scald has an incredibly useful 30% chance to burn the opponent and hits decently hard off of Vaporeon's base 110 Special Attack stat. Roar allows Vaporeon to phaze out potential counters or set-up sweepers and chip away at the opponent's health with hazard support. Toxic allows Vaporeon to cripple most walls and cause reliable damage on things it may not be able to hurt. Heal Bell can be used for a full cleric type set while helping Vaporeon be unafraid by Toxic, but it also makes Vaporeon an extreme set-up bait if your opponent notices you lack both Toxic and Roar. Ice Beam provides good coverage with Scald, but isn't particularly powerful without investment and can struggle to deal damage even to Pokemon that are weak to it, such as Trevanent or Celebi. Haze allows Vaporeon to stop Baton Pass teams dead in their tracks and is nearly unblockable, but has a tough time finding a slot in its moves.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP investment allows you to pass the largest Wishes possible and a Bold Nature with maximum defense is used take hits from physical attackers to complement Vaporeon's naturally high special bulk. With maximum defense investment, Vaporeon can comfortably take hits from support Landorus-T and Scizor while threatening back with Scald. Leftovers is an obvious choice for a defensive Pokemon as it allows Vaporeon to get some extra health back as it uses Protect.

Usage Tips
========

Vaporeon attracts Toxic like a magnet. Avoiding it through the use of Protect and switches will go a long way in increasing Vaporeon's survivability. The use of repeated Wishes puts your opponent in a situation where they will start trying to predict your passes; pay attention to how your opponent responds after a Wish, because you don't want a Pokemon to faint on a predicted switch. Before you need to pass Wishes, Scald is the move of choice, being able to do decent damage and potentially burn anything that comes in. If you're using Toxic, determine which status between Toxic poison and Burn status would be more detrimental to your opponent's team; this can be loosely determined in the Team Preview. If you're using Roar, it's important to keep Vaporeon healthy since you have to take a hit in order to Roar an opposing Pokemon out.

Team Options
========

Mega-Venusaur resists both of Vaporeon's weaknesses, is immune to Toxic, and greatly appreciates the healing Wish provides since it cannot hold Leftovers. Ferrothorn and Heatran from an excellent Water-Fire-Grass core with Vaporeon, patching up each other's weaknesses and spreading hazards and status. Skarmory is capable of taking most physical attacks aimed at Vaporeon and can lay down hazards or phaze opponents. Support Landorus-T functions similarly with Stealth Rock and can use U-Turn to maintain momentum. While that group spreads hazards, Excadrill can switch in on predicted Electric-type attacks aimed at Vaporeon and proceed to Rapid Spin any hazards away. Goodra is capable of easily sponging Grass and Electric-type special moves aimed at Vaporeon, but fears Toxic just as much as Vaporeon does.

Other Options
########

Hidden Power Fire can be used to beat Ferrothorn, but has almost no use outside of that. Similarly, Hidden Power Grass helps Vaporeon get through Gastrodon or Quagsire, but both of those are vulnerable to Toxic anyway and 4 SpAtk Vaporeon can only 2HKO, meaning you will get hit with Toxic in return. Surf can be used over Scald for the slight power boost, but Vaporeon needs the burn chance much more than the power.

Checks & Counters
########

**Status immune/resistant Pokemon**: Pokemon with high Special Defense and Natural Cure such as Blissey and Chansey leave Vaporeon unable to do anything and threaten with Toxic. Celebi also falls into this category and has Perish Song to completely shatter Baton Pass teams. Users of Magic Guard render Vaporeon's Scald burns and Toxic poison attempts useless and Reuniclus can Calm Mind in Vaporeon's face while only being phazed out at best. Clefable functions in a similar way and can use boosted Moonblasts to break through Vaporeon after a couple of boosts.

** Bulky Grass-types**: Vaporeon absolutely hates Leech Seed as its large health total becomes a liability and allows opponents to regain large chunks of HP at once. Ferrothorn is one of the best Vaporeon switches in the game, capable of setting up hazards in its face or hitting Vaporeon with the aforementioned Leech Seed. Mega-Venusaur is immune to Toxic, only slightly cares about burns, and can hit Vaporeon with either Leech Seed or Giga Drain to recover HP as well as heavily damage it. Poison Heal Breloom is only afraid of the uncommon Ice Beam while Technician Breloom can easily OHKO with Bullet Seed as long as it avoids burn status.

**Electric-types**: Most Electric-types are frail special attackers, and don't particularly care about burn or Toxic. Life Orb Thundurus is strong enough to have a 75% chance to OHKO Vaporeon with Thunderbolt after Stealth Rock damage. While Rotom-W's Volt Switch does not do a lot of damage, Rotom-W can Toxic Vaporeon or use Volt Switch to gain momentum while taking pittance from any Vaporeon's moves. Zapdos also cleanly 2HKOs Vaporeon while it can only manage to Toxic Zapdos in return.

**Set-Up Sweepers**: Espeon can Calm Mind in front of Vaporeon and cannot be Roared out due to Magic Bounce. If Vaporeon does not run Roar, then Substitute set-up sweepers become a massive problem, especially ones that resist Water, such as Kyurem-B and Gyarados. Lum Berry Haxorus can Dragon Dance against Vaporeon and then 2HKO with Dragon Claw if Vaporeon has any prior damage while having insurance against a burn. Nasty Plot Celebi can tank even super effective Ice Beams easily, Giga Drain to recover huge chunks of its health, and Baton Pass to pass on any boosts it may accumulate.

Edit: Realized something was off on the formatting of the sets. Fixed that.

Last edited:
Amateur check.

Add
Remove
Capitalization
Comments

Overview
########
With very few viable users of Wish in OU, Vaporeon has carved itself a niche as one of the best users of the move. Maximum HP investment A massive base 130 HP stat allows Vaporeon to pass huge Wishes of 232 HP(The set details section seems to be a more appropriate to talk about the purpose of HP EVs than the overview), restoring a massive chunk of any Pokemon's health, and a base 110 Special Attack stat allows it to have much more offensive presence than other users of the move. Vaporeon's mono-(Remove hyphen)(Add space)Water typing is solid defensively, with only two weaknesses and four resistances. Water Absorb turns one of those resistances into an immunity,(RC) and makes Vaporeon a great check to Water-types, allowing it to switch into Pokemon such as Greninja relatively safely. Water Absorb is also especially useful in discouraging the use of Scald, which is otherwise one of the safest moves in the game. Baton Pass teams are stronger than ever, and Vaporeon is still a solid member of a Baton Pass these teams, being able to create large Substitutes along with its many support options to keep the chain going.

Not all changes are good, and However, the new weather mechanics Drizzle nerf haves made Hydration stalling effectively useless, removing one of Vaporeon's old roles, while.(Remove colon) powerful new attackers such as Thundurus and Mega-(Remove hyphen)(Add space)Venusaur can make life hard on Vaporeon.(Add period) In addition, and it Vaporeon can becomes set-up bait for sweepers if it does not run Roar or Toxic. Vaporeon is not a Pokemon that can simply be thrown onto a team and expected to wall everything, but can do its job very well with proper support.

Baton Passer
########
ev: 244 HP / 136 Def / 128 Sped

(Remove line)
Moves
========
(Add space)
Baton Pass can let Vaporeon pass different types of boosts that it or a teammate has accumulated, and Vaporeon functions well as an effective early to mid chain Baton Passer. Vaporeon can pass some of the largest Substitutes in Pokemon the game, which can be complemented further by boosted defenses. Scald is there to prevents Vaporeon from being complete Taunt bait, and has the added benefit of being able to burn physical attackers trying to break Vaporeon it. Vaporeon's natural bulk makes it incredibly effective at increasing the chain's defense with Acid Armor, and makes its Substitutes harder to break. Roar prevents Vaporeon from being phazed out, and can be especially useful if Vaporeon has been passed Speed boosts, as this will allow Vaporeon's Roar to go before the opponent's Roar or Whirlwind. Wish is Vaporeon's main niche in the standard set, and can be very useful in a Baton Passs set as well, reliably healing teammates who cannot heal themselves. Aqua Ring can be used to grant the entire chain permanent extra recovery, and is the equivalent of a free Leftovers. Wish can be used to recover HP somewhat reliably and create more Substitutes if necessary, but if you're Vaporeon is taking that much damage it's probably better to switch to a Pokemon more suitable to handle the threat. As with many Baton Pass chain Pokemon commonly seen on Baton Pass teams, the moves you Vaporeon runs on Vaporeon should be suited to the team's needs. While Baton Pass and Substitute are necessary, any combination of the other listed moves is feasible if your team already has someone to pass Defense boosts or has Ingrain to prevent Roar and Whirlwind phazing.

Set Details
========

128 Speed EVs allow Vaporeon at +2 to outspeed plus positive nature Pokemon with base 130 Speed Pokemon, which is the highest relevant non-Deoxys speed tier in OU. 244 HP EVs allows Vaporeon to make the largest HP Substitutes that it can while maintaining an entry hazard number, which is important since Baton Pass teams dictate plenty of switching. The remaining EVs are put into its weaker physical Defense stat to maximize the effects of Defensive boosts and keep Vaporeon as bulky as possible. For the same reason, a Bold nature is also used to improve physical Defense. Leftovers are is the obvious choice for an item, and helps Vaporeon make as many Substitutes as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Substitute is something that needs to be kept up at all times as the chain is setting up to prevent status and guard against critical hits. If, for whatever reason there isn't a Substitute up, play as though you are Vaporeon is always going to get hit with a critical hit. The last thing you want is to lose all of the boosts you have accumulated because a random critical hit broke through something. Vaporeon can set up Acid Armor Defense boosts(Scolipede uses Iron Defense, not Acid Armor, so I decided to change this.) against many things that Scolipede can not, such as Talonflame and Excadrill, giving it a niche in that regard. Users of Roar and Whirlwind are usually predictable. If your opponent sends in something like a common user of these moves such as Skarmory,(AC) always use Roar immediately even if it means eating a Brave Bird or giving up a layer of Spikes. If Ingrain hads been passed, Vaporeon becomes nearly impossible to phaze as Roar and Whirlwind will no longer work and Dragon Tail will not do enough damage to break a Substitute at +2.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Scolipede and or Gliscor that can pass Speed boosts are necessary in any Baton Pass team, aiding both Vaporeon and the chain as a whole. Gliscor also has access to a fast Taunt, preventing opponents from using status or phazing moves. Smeargle can pass Ingrain to prevent Vaporeon from being forced out with Roar or Whirlwind, or Shell Smash to increase Vaporeon's Speed. Thanks to its ability, Soundproof and access to Encore, Mr. Mime with Soundproof and Encore can form a Baton Passing duo with Vaporeon that can effectively neutralize any Pokemon trying to set up alongside the chain. Vaporeon can follow Scizor in a chain as it appreciates the Iron Defense boosts that Scizor passes. Scizor also draws the Fire-type moves that Vaporeon can set up on. As far as Baton Pass receivers, Espeon makes a great chain receiver with Magic Bounce and Stored Power, as does an Ingrained Clefable with Magic Guard if it has received Ingrain from Baton Pass. Kyurem-B and Mega-(Remove hyphen)(Add space)Garchomp also fall into this category, but using overwhelming power instead of abilities.

Wish Support
########
(Remove line)

(Remove line)
Moves
========

Wish is the main move on the set, healing either 50% of Vaporeon's health or 232 points of a teammate's health for a large amount. Protect ensures that Vaporeon will be healed by its own Wish, and can be used to scout opponent's moves. Scald has an incredibly useful 30% chance to burn the opponent, and hits decently hard off of Vaporeon's base 110 Special Attack stat. Roar allows Vaporeon to phaze out potential counters or set-up sweepers and chip away at the opponent's health with hazard support. Toxic allows Vaporeon to cripple most walls and cause reliable damage on things it may not be able to hurt otherwise. Heal Bell can be used for a full to provide cleric type set support while helping Vaporeon be unafraid of Toxic, but it also makes Vaporeon extreme an set-(Remove hyphen)up bait if your opponent notices you Vaporeon lacks both Toxic and Roar. Ice Beam provides good coverage with Scald, but isn't particularly powerful without investment and can struggle to deal damage even to Pokemon that are weak to it, such as Trevanent or Celebi(<If memory serves, both of these Pokemon were rejected for an analysis, so you might want to mention others. I noticed that you mention some of said Pokemon again later on in the thread, so that' something to look at. Also, Trevenant is misspelled as "Trevanent"). Haze allows Vaporeon to stop Baton Pass teams dead in their tracks and is nearly unblockable, but has a tough time finding a slot in its moves.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP investment allows you Vaporeon to pass the largest Wishes possible, and a Bold Nature with maximum Defense is used take hits from physical attackers to complement Vaporeon's naturally high special bulk. With maximum Defense investment, Vaporeon can comfortably take hits from support Landorus-T and Scizor while threatening back with Scald. Leftovers is an obvious choice for a defensive Pokemon as it allows grants Vaporeon a source of passive recovery and also allows it to stall more efficiently with to get some extra health back as it uses Protect.

Usage Tips
========

Vaporeon attracts Toxic like a magnet.,(Remove period)(Add comma) so avoiding it through the use of Protect and switches will go a long way in increasing Vaporeon's survivability. The use of repeated Wishes puts your opponent in a situation where they will start trying to predict your passes; pay attention to how your opponent responds after a Wish, because you don't want a Pokemon to faint on a predicted switch. Before you Vaporeon needs to pass Wishes, Scald is the move of choice, being able to do decent damage and potentially burn anything that comes in. If you're Vaporeon is using Toxic, determine which status between whether Toxic poison and or Burn status would be more detrimental to your opponent's team; this can be loosely determined in the Team Preview. If you're Vaporeon is using Roar, it's important to keep Vaporeon it healthy since you because it haves to take a hit in order to Roar an opposing Pokemon out.

Team Options
========

Mega-(Remove hyphen)(Add space)Venusaur resists both of Vaporeon's weaknesses, is immune to Toxic, and greatly appreciates the healing Wish provides since it cannot hold Leftovers. Ferrothorn and Heatran frorm an excellent Water(Add space)/(Add forward slash)-(Remove hyphen)(Add forward slash)Fire(Add space)/(Add forward slash)-(Remove hyphen)(Add space)Grass core with Vaporeon, patching up each other's weaknesses and spreading hazards and status. Skarmory is capable of taking most physical attacks aimed at Vaporeon and can lay down hazards or phaze opponents. Support Landorus-T functions similarly with Stealth Rock and can use U-turn to maintain momentum. While that group spreads hazards, Excadrill can switch in on predicted Electric-type attacks aimed at Vaporeon and proceed to Rapid Spin any hazards away. Goodra is capable of easily sponging Grass-(Add hyphen) and Electric-type special moves aimed at Vaporeon, but fears Toxic just as much as Vaporeon does.

Other Options
########

Hidden Power Fire can be used to beat Ferrothorn, but has almost no use outside of that. Similarly, Hidden Power Grass helps Vaporeon get through Gastrodon or Quagsire, but both of those are vulnerable to Toxic anyway and 4 SpAtk Vaporeon can only 2HKO these targets, meaning you it will get hit with Toxic in return. Surf can be used over Scald for the slight power boost, but Vaporeon needs the burn chance much more than the power.

Checks & Counters
########

**Status immune/resistant Pokemon**: Pokemon with high Special Defense and Natural Cure such as Blissey and Chansey leave Vaporeon unable to do anything and threaten with Toxic. Celebi also falls into this category, and has Perish Song to completely shatter Baton Pass teams. Users of Pokemon with Magic Guard render Vaporeon's Scald burns and Toxic poison attempts useless and Reuniclus in particular can set up Calm Mind boosts in Vaporeon's face while only being phazed out at best. Clefable functions in a similar way, and can use boosted Moonblasts to break through Vaporeon after a couple of boosts.

** Bulky Grass-types**: Vaporeon absolutely hates Leech Seed as its large health total becomes a liability and allows opponents to regain large chunks of HP at once. Ferrothorn is one of the best Vaporeon switch-(Add hyphen)ines in the game, capable of setting up hazards in its face or hitting Vaporeon with the aforementioned Leech Seed. Mega-(Remove hyphen)Venusaur is immune to Toxic, only slightly cares about burns, and can hit Vaporeon with either Leech Seed or Giga Drain to recover HP as well as heavily damage it. Poison Heal Breloom is only afraid of the uncommon Ice Beam while Technician Breloom can easily OHKO with Bullet Seed as long as it avoids a burn from Scald status.

**Electric-types**: Most Electric-types are frail special attackers, and don't particularly care about burn or Toxic. Life Orb Thundurus is strong enough to have a 75% chance to OHKO Vaporeon with Thunderbolt after Stealth Rock damage. While Rotom-W's Volt Switch does not do a lot of damage, Rotom-W it can Toxic Vaporeon or use Volt Switch to gain momentum while taking pittance from any Vaporeon's moves. Zapdos also cleanly 2HKOs Vaporeon while it the latter can only manage to Toxic Zapdos in return.

**Set-Up Sweepers**: Espeon can set up Calm Mind in front of Vaporeon and cannot be Roarphazed out due to Magic Bounce. If Vaporeon does not run Roar, then Substitute set-(Remove hyphen)up sweepers become a massive problem, especially ones that resist Water such as Kyurem-B and Gyarados. Lum Berry Haxorus can Dragon Dance against Vaporeon and then 2HKO with Dragon Claw if Vaporeon has any prior damage while having insurance against a burn. Nasty Plot Celebi can tank even super effective Ice Beams easily, Giga Drain to recover huge chunks of its health, and Baton Pass to pass on any boosts it may accumulate.

Last edited:

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
GP Check (ofc I'm gonna GP Vaporeon :>)

Overview
########
With very few viable users of Wish in OU, Vaporeon has carved itself a niche as one of the best users of the move. A massive base 130 HP stat allows Vaporeon to pass Wishes of 232 HP, restoring a massive chunk of any Pokemon's health, and a base 110 Special Attack stat allows it to have a much higher more offensive presence than other users of the move. Vaporeon's mono Water typing is solid defensively, with only two weaknesses and four resistances. Water Absorb turns one of those resistances into an immunity and makes Vaporeon a great check to Water-types, allowing it to switch into Pokemon such as Greninja relatively safely. Water Absorb is also especially useful in discouraging the use of Scald, which is otherwise one of the safest moves in the game. Baton Pass teams are stronger than ever, and Vaporeon is still a solid member of these teams, being able to create large Substitutes along with its many support options to keep the chain going.

Not all changes are good, and the new weather mechanics have made Hydration stalling effectively useless. Powerful new attackers The popularity of Pokemon (Mega Venu isn't a powerful attacker) such as Thundurus and Mega Venusaur can make life hard on Vaporeon and it can become set-up setup bait for sweepers if it does not run Roar or Toxic. Vaporeon is not a Pokemon that can simply be thrown onto a team and expected to wall everything, but can do its job very well with proper support.

Baton Passer
########
evs: 244 HP / 136 Def / 128 Spe

Moves
========
Baton Pass can let Vaporeon pass different types of boosts that it or a teammate has accumulated, and Vaporeon functions well as an effective early early- to mid chain mid-chain Baton Passer. Vaporeon can pass some of the largest Substitutes in the game, which can complemented further by boosted defenses. Scald prevents Vaporeon from being complete Taunt bait, and has the added benefit of being able to burn physical attackers trying to break it. Vaporeon's natural bulk makes it incredibly effective at increasing the chain's defense with Acid Armor, and makes its Substitutes harder to break. Roar prevents Vaporeon from being phazed out, and can be especially useful if Vaporeon has been passed Speed boosts, as this will allow Vaporeon's Roar to go before the opponent's Roar or Whirlwind. Wish is Vaporeon's main niche move in the standard set, and can be very useful in a Baton Passs Pass set as well, reliably healing teammates who cannot heal themselves. Aqua Ring can be used to grant the entire chain permanent extra recovery, and is the equivalent of a free Leftovers. Wish can be used to recover HP somewhat reliably and create more Substitutes if necessary, but if Vaporeon is taking that much damage it's probably better to switch to a Pokemon more suitable to handle the threat. As with many Pokemon commonly seen on Baton Pass teams, the moves Vaporeon runs should be suited to the team's needs. While Baton Pass and Substitute are necessary, any combination of the other listed moves is feasible if your team already has someone to pass Defense boosts or has Ingrain to prevent Roar and Whirlwind phazing.

Set Details
========

128 Speed EVs allow Vaporeon at +2 to outspeed positive nature Pokemon with base 130 Speed at +2, which is the highest relevant non-Deoxys speed Speed tier in OU. 244 HP allows Vaporeon to make the largest HP Substitutes that it can while maintaining an entry hazard number, which is important since Baton Pass teams dictate plenty of switching. The remaining EVs are put into its weaker physical Defense stat to maximize the effects of defensive boosts and keep Vaporeon as bulky as possible. For the same reason, a Bold nature is also used to improve physical Defense. Leftovers is the obvious choice for an item, and help Vaporeon make as many Substitutes as possible.

Usage Tips
========

Substitute is something that needs to be kept up at all times as the chain is setting up to prevent status and guard against critical hits. If, for whatever reason there isn't a Substitute up, play as though Vaporeon is always going to get hit with a critical hit. The last thing you want is to lose all of the boosts you have accumulated because a random critical hit broke through something. Vaporeon can set up Defense boosts against many things that Scolipede can not, such as Talonflame and Excadrill, giving it a niche in that regard. Users of Roar and Whirlwind are usually predictable; if your opponent sends in something like Skarmory, always use Roar immediately even if it means eating a Brave Bird or giving up a layer of Spikes. If Ingrain has been passed, Vaporeon becomes nearly impossible to phaze as Roar and Whirlwind will no longer work and Dragon Tail will not do enough damage to break a Substitute at +2.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Scolipede or Gliscor that can pass speed Speed boosts are necessary in any Baton Pass team, aiding both Vaporeon and the chain as a whole. Gliscor also has access to a fast Taunt, preventing opponents from using status or phazing moves. Smeargle can pass Ingrain to prevent Vaporeon from being forced out with Roar or Whirlwind, or Shell Smash to increase Vaporeon's speed. Thanks to it's ability, Soundproof, and access to Encore, Mr. Mime can form a Baton Pass duo with Vaporeon that can effectively neutralize any Pokemon trying to set up alongside the chain. Vaporeon can follow Scizor in a chain as it appreciates the Iron Defense boosts that Scizor passes. Scizor also draws Fire-type moves that Vaporeon can set up on. As far as Baton Pass receivers, Espeon makes a great chain receiver with Magic Bounce and Stored Power, as does Clefable with Magic Guard if it has been passed Ingrain. Kyurem-B and Mega Garchomp also fall into this category, but using they use overwhelming power instead of abilities.

Wish Support
########

Moves
========

Wish is the main move on the set, healing either 50% of Vaporeon's health or 232 HP points of a teammate's health. Protect ensures that Vaporeon will be healed by its own Wish, and can be used to scout opponent's moves. Scald has an incredibly useful 30% chance to burn the opponent, and hits decently hard off of Vaporeon's base 110 Special Attack stat. Roar allows Vaporeon to phaze out potential counters or set-up setup sweepers and chip away at the opponent's health with hazard support. Toxic allows Vaporeon to cripple most walls and cause reliable damage on things it may not be able to hurt otherwise. Heal Bell can be used to provide cleric support while helping Vaporeon be unafraid of Toxic, but it also makes Vaporeon extreme set up setup bait if your opponent notices Vaporeon lacks both Toxic and Roar. Ice Beam provides good coverage with Scald, but isn't particularly powerful without investment and can struggle to deal damage even to Pokemon that are weak to it, such as Tangrowth. Haze allows Vaporeon to stop Baton Pass teams dead in their tracks and is nearly unblockable, but has a tough time finding a slot in its moves.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP investment allows Vaporeon to pass the largest Wishes possible, and a Bold Nature with maximum Defense is used take hits from physical attackers to complement Vaporeon's naturally high special bulk. With maximum Defense investment, Vaporeon can comfortably take hits from support Landorus-T and Scizor while threatening back with Scald. Leftovers is an obvious choice for a defensive Pokemon as it grants Vaporeon a source of passive recovery and allows it to stall more efficiently with Protect.

Usage Tips
========

Vaporeon attracts Toxic like a magnet, so avoiding it through the use of Protect and switches will go a long way in increasing Vaporeon's survivability. The use of repeated Wishes puts your opponent in a situation where they will start trying to predict your passes; pay attention to how your opponent responds after a Wish, because you don't want a Pokemon to faint on a predicted switch. Before Vaporeon needs to pass Wishes, Scald is the move of choice, being able to do decent damage and potentially burn anything that comes in. If Vaporeon is using Toxic, determine whether Toxic poison or Burn status would be more detrimental to your opponent's team; this can be loosely determined in the Team Preview. If Vaporeon is running Roar, it's important to keep it healthy since it has to take a hit in order to Roar an opposing Pokemon out.

Team Options
========

Mega Venusaur resists both of Vaporeon's weaknesses, is immune to Toxic, and greatly appreciates the healing Wish provides since it cannot hold Leftovers. Ferrothorn and Heatran from form an excellent Water / Fire / Grass core with Vaporeon, patching up each other's weaknesses and spreading hazards and status. Skarmory is capable of taking most physical attacks aimed at Vaporeon and can lay down hazards or phaze opponents. Support Landorus-T functions similarly with Stealth Rock and can use U-turn to maintain momentum. Excadrill can switch in on predicted Electric-type attacks aimed at Vaporeon and proceed to Rapid Spin any hazards away. Goodra is capable of easily sponging special Grass-type and Electric-type special moves aimed at Vaporeon, but fears Toxic just as much as Vaporeon does (wouldn't Latias be a better example? Goodra is so bad in the current metagame and pretty irrelevant in the higher ladder and tournaments).

Other Options
########

Hidden Power Fire can be used to beat Ferrothorn, but has almost no use outside of that. Similarly, Hidden Power Grass helps Vaporeon get through Gastrodon or Quagsire, but both of those are vulnerable to Toxic anyway and 4 SpA Vaporeon can only 2HKO these targets, meaning you will get hit with Toxic in return. Surf can be used over Scald for the slight power boost, but Vaporeon needs the burn chance much more than the power.

Checks & Counters
########

**Status immune/resistant Status-immune Pokemon (how does something resist status?)**: Pokemon with high Special Defense and Natural Cure such as Blissey and Chansey leave Vaporeon unable to do anything and threaten with Toxic. Celebi also falls into this category, and has Perish Song to completely shatter Baton Pass teams. Pokemon with Magic Guard render Vaporeon's Scald burns and Toxic poison attempts useless and Reuniclus in particular can set up Calm Mind boosts in Vaporeon's face while only being phazed out at best. Clefable functions in a similar way, and can use boosted Moonblasts to break through Vaporeon after a couple of boosts.

** Bulky Grass-types**: Vaporeon absolutely hates Leech Seed as its large health total becomes a liability and allows opponents to regain large chunks of HP at once. Ferrothorn is one of the best Vaporeon switch-ins the game, capable of setting up hazards in its face or hitting Vaporeon with the aforementioned Leech Seed. Mega Venusaur is immune to Toxic, only slightly cares about burns, and can hit Vaporeon with either Leech Seed or Giga Drain to recover HP as well as heavily damage it. Poison Heal Breloom is only afraid of the uncommon Ice Beam while Technician Breloom can easily OHKO with Bullet Seed as long as it avoids a burn from Scald.(AP)

**Electric-types**: Most Electric-types are frail special attackers, and don't particularly care about burn or Toxic. Life Orb Thundurus is strong enough to have a 75% chance to OHKO Vaporeon with Thunderbolt after Stealth Rock damage. While Rotom-W's Volt Switch does not do a lot of damage, it can Toxic Vaporeon (Rotom-W runs Toxic? O.o) or use Volt Switch to gain momentum while taking pittance from any of Vaporeon's moves. Zapdos also cleanly 2HKOs 2HKOes Vaporeon while the latter can only manage to Toxic Zapdos in return.

**Set-Up Setup Sweepers**: Espeon can set up Calm Mind in front of Vaporeon and cannot be phazed out due to Magic Bounce. If Vaporeon does not run Roar, then Substitute set up setup sweepers become a massive problem, especially ones that resist Water such as Kyurem-B and Gyarados. Lum Berry Haxorus can Dragon Dance against Vaporeon and then 2HKO with Dragon Claw if Vaporeon has any prior damage while having insurance against a burn. Nasty Plot Celebi can tank even super effective Ice Beams easily, Giga Drain to recover huge chunks of its health, and Baton Pass to pass on any boosts it may accumulate.
This is well done thedeafelectrician, long live Vaporeon!!!!

GP Approved 1/2

Last edited:

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Woohoo, tiering yay.

Okay, for now, just remove the Baton Pass set and remove mention of it from the introduction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)