move 2: U-Turn
move 3: Protect
move 4: Stealth Rock/Psychic/Thunderwave
item: Leftovers
ability: Levitate
nature: Careful/Sassy
evs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD

Set Comments

Uxie has a very unique movepool that allows it to play the role of a defensive momentum grabber. It will survive just about anything once or twice (typically more if you play it right). The idea is you bring Uxie in on something that will do pitiful damage to it (a surprisingly lot of things), Yawn, then U-turn. If they stay in, most things are faster than Uxie meaning it tanks the hit and your next pokemon comes in on a sleeping foe. If they switch, just like any other momentum grabber, you pick your best counter. Uxie is particularly effective against known u-turners and volt switchers... after the yawn, the opponent will 99% of the time use u-turn/volt switch, which Uxie protects against.

Why this set deserves to be on site

The main advantage Uxie has over offensive momentum grabbers is that Uxie is much, much safer. Offensive momentum grabbers risk taking heavy hits or outspeeding the opponent leaving the possibility of your switch-in getting hit hard. Uxie does a great job scouting attacks with protect and giving your team the perfect opportunity to take control, mitigating the total damage your team takes, grabbing the most possible momentum.

Additional Comments

The lack of reliable recovery is definitely a hindrance which can be somewhat mitigated by protect, but with 353 HP and 344 in both defensive stats, Uxie can really take a pounding. Additionally, its ability is levitate, giving it the ability to switch in on those ever so common earthquakes. Uxie is a very survivable pokemon that can grab momentum several times over the course of a match.

Beware of Status absorbers and choose your opportunities wisely. Luckily, if your opponent catches on to your Yawn games, you can U-turn right away if you smell an incoming status absorber, still gaining momentum. This build is excellent for mind-games.

Team Options

• Other U-Turners have natural synergy with Uxie, like Scizor and Rotom
  • Like most momentum grabbers, it pairs well with stat-up sweepers, particularly those who can cover Uxie's weaknesses, like SD Lucario.

• A wish passer is always welcome to keep Uxie in business longer, such as Vaporeon and Blissey.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nice beginning, Run. Under Team Options, you should mention Pokemon that can lay entry hazards, since it synergizes well with Uxie's main purpose of forcing lots of switches.

Have you tested this set at all? It seems okay but there are no evs. Maybe a log could be useful, to really prove how effective your set is.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What Sir said.

Your set doesn't seem to be solidified due a lack of set EVs and the slashitis in Uxie's last slot. Logs, more than anything else, would be ideal to show what this Uxie can do. I can see the appeal and its purpose, but just show un-cherrypicked logs of what it does in normal OU battles.

For small tidbits, delete (+SpD, -SpA) and (+SpD, -Spe), and don't get fancy with bold text.

To fix the last slot, remove the defensive screens and slash in Thunder Wave because Uxie is useless outside of Yawn (which it does once due to Sleep Clause).

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yawn turn isn't very effective in OU since scizor / rotom-w and other volt switchers / u turners are everywhere; in which clase this set is outclassed by ferrothorn at defensive hazard laying or deoxys-s at straight up hazard laying / screener.

don't think it has much of a place in ou, but provide some logs to prove me wrong!

Run

Poster of the Month
sorry was in a rush yesterday when i posted. I will get some logs out. The set is very effective.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
yawn turn isn't very effective in OU since scizor / rotom-w and other volt switchers / u turners are everywhere; in which clase this set is outclassed by ferrothorn at defensive hazard laying or deoxys-s at straight up hazard laying / screener.

don't think it has much of a place in ou, but provide some logs to prove me wrong!
I think Scizor and Rotom-W ARE the reason why Yawn + Protect are there. Uxie's place on a team is to provide offensive support rather than outright lay hazards or use screens (which evidently it does badly here, an that why I asked for it's removal).

I would actually try Momento in the last slot. Come in, Yawn. Then you can Protect and put the U-turner to sleep and Momento the switch in. BAM! Sets like these have limited use but they DO work especially if you have a HO / Baton Pass team waiting in the wings.

I guess I saw this and thought why would I use this when I can use Rotom-w and scizor instead to gain momentum? I mean, both aren't frail in their own right, and they actually do damage. Uxie just sits there, lays SR, and then puts something to sleep. However, I can see this being set up fodder for Lum DDnite, the #1 threat in OU right now, unless you run t-wave in which case you lose SR which is pretty much the only thing it has over the two.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I guess I saw this and thought why would I use this when I can use Rotom-w and scizor instead to gain momentum? I mean, both aren't frail in their own right, and they actually do damage. Uxie just sits there, lays SR, and then puts something to sleep. However, I can see this being set up fodder for Lum DDnite, the #1 threat in OU right now, unless you run t-wave in which case you lose SR which is pretty much the only thing it has over the two.
Just a nitpick but Lum Dnite doesn't setup on this Uxie.
He comes in when you Yawn and now you just U-Turn to a counter or a check while breaking MS.

He comes in when you Yawn and now you just U-Turn to a counter or a check while breaking MS.
I hardly doubt, that U-Turn will do enough damage to Dnite that it's not able to recover back to full health with Lefties afterwards, especially when MS is still active. (Not effective + non-STAB + halfed damage = ridicolously low dmg output..)

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I hardly doubt, that U-Turn will do enough damage to Dnite that it's not able to recover back to full health with Lefties afterwards, especially when MS is still active. (Not effective + non-STAB + halfed damage = ridicolously low dmg output..)
I agree but he was talking about Lum DDNite.

This set doesn't seem to do much other than provide momentum. By itself, Uxie can't really do much, thus I don't feel that it is very relevant in this meta.

I can vouch that this set works exceptionally well except run full speed+either full attack or full health, whatever you are going for.

Uxie @ Leftovers Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Yawn
- Magic Coat
- Stealth Rock

Beats deoxys-s 100% of the time... magic coat on... anything and yawn the switch. Then, u-turn out on the next switch to a counter. I use with either slowbro or quaggy as a double-yawn combo.

So that set can specifically beat Deoxys S, but it doesnt do much else. I don't see this set going anywhere tbh.

So that set can specifically beat Deoxys S, but it doesnt do much else. I don't see this set going anywhere tbh.
It is huge for grabbing momentum in any case... beating deoxy-s is just a bonus.

Magic coat if they are a non-attack lead... auto-momentum.

Yawn if they are an attack-lead or second turn of non-attack lead.

U-turn as they send in their counter (or let their pokemon sleep... either way, the momentum is greatly in your favor) and you send in something that can counter their poke.

Now you can set up, just like that.

If I'm getting this correctly, he comes in on Yawn, sets up a DD as lum berry prevents him from going to sleep, and then Uxie U-turns out to something now facing a +1 Dragonite? I don't see how this is grabbing any momentum. lol

Not to mention this is total set up fodder for Breloom of all things. -.-

Run

Poster of the Month
If your team can't handle Breloom, something is wrong besides Uxie. Though, I will admit you need to take special care of Subbers. A phazer is recommended.

This is not a standalone pokemon, it is for momentum and annoying only, without the proper team with it, it can't do much on its own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)