UU Snake Draft IV - Commencement Thread

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader

Thanks to the wonderful lydian for this art!
This thread is for anything miscellaneous so enjoy posting but please keep it civil :toast:

Team A: Tohjo Falls Dragonites - Indigo Plateau and Accel
Team B: Violet City Vtubers - Bouff and umbry
Team C: Dragon's Den Dragonairs - Sage and Monky25
Team D: Lake of Outrage Sandacondas - avarice and Highways
Team E: Ceruledge of Tomorrow - dunoks and jeza.p
Team F: Paniola Primarinas - Lily and Queen of Bean
Team G: Wild Wordle Wurmples - bb skarm and DugZa
Team H: Ascovillains - Askov and hariyana grande

The tiers in this tournament are:

4 SV UU / 1 SS UU / 1 SM UU / 1 ORAS UU / 1 BW UU / 1 DPP UU / 1 ADV UU (ft. Lapras) / 1 GSC UU (ft. Aerodactyl and Muk) / 1 RBY (ft. Sleep)

This may be reduced to 10 slots depending on player signups, which would result in the cutting of 1 SV slot and 1 RBY slot, or both of GSC and RBY.

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
OFFICIAL (not) MANAGER PRs

1. Sage + Monky25
- Unsure how tight these two are generally speaking, and I think this could be a hot take to put them at one? honestly not sure. Mainly because the manager cores directly beneath this one have a very high potential ceiling… but I personally am putting these hooligans at number one because I think it’s a perfect mesh. Monky’s raw activity and enthusiasm for the tier and Sage’s experience managing and playing will balance out nicely. Sage has for the most part drafted decent teams as far as I can recall, and I think monky easily has what it takes to help out his co manager a lot. I am hoping monky ends up truly getting a foundation of confidence under his feet to stand on for this tournament and the future as a manager and player, even though i’m assuming he doesn’t plan to play.

2. Bouff + umbry
- Why I like this duo a lot is pretty similar to the one above, I think it’s a potentially even better mesh of activity and raw competitiveness, whatever that means. I think umbry is as of a good r1 pick as almost anyone can get, and Bouff can solo support most of the slots in the tour, especially some of the more niche metas that umbry doesn’t have as much experience supporting. Honestly the only reason I put this duo below the number one slot is because I feel like their draft will be more predictable, not that that’s necessarily a bad thing, I guess what i’m saying is I see Sage + monky having potentially a better understanding of the wider UU player base, and being able to min max their slots better, while umbry and Bouff’s draft will probably end up being similar to a combination of users we’ve seen on their respective teams before.

3. Indigo Dickhead + Accel
- Could certainly be number one but these guys are fuckin boomers let’s be real here. Surely if they were both omega invested and rly on top of everything I would’ve put them one just due to friendship, synergy, and success. But Indigo pphead just came out of retirement and Accel is a valorant main, Accel especially can still give anyone a run for their money but I think IP still barely knows what mons aren’t ass. We shall see maybe they get some omega carry r1 or smth to make up for their shortcomings as decrepit old men, but idk who that would be, if this person does exist, they can get them w the first pick (rigged), so that’s good

4. Lily + corn on the qob
- Any combo w Lily only has a floor that can be so low due to her commitment to the tier and familiarity with the player base. That being said it doesn’t necessarily mean the ceiling is above and beyond, though of course there’s potential for it to be. I think piggybacking off of a UUPL victory is big time and would make me easily rank her in the top 3 or 2 any other year. This year has a nice manager lineup, and her comanager is definitely worthy of being her comanager, but also isn’t a name that holds enough weight yet for me to easily allow this duo to soar up the rankings. I think qob is a really good presence and is the perfect candidate for a comanager due to her raw activity and willingness to play and build the tier, but I also think managing isn’t so simple sometimes and her effectiveness as support will depend at least a bit on the team they end up with. The ceiling for this duo IS 1, and I think there’s a small jump between this duo and 5, these top 4 are strong.

5. Askov + franklish joshua
- Good users good players big fan of both for sure, their lack of combined or individual success as a manager successfully is what puts them this low. My main memory of askov managing is the commanders with Jade and that team completely sucking ass, even prior to the season ending or starting, during the draft you could tell the draft sucked and they missed any opportunities for good players. Not 100% on Askov’s shoulders to burden that blame but still that’s all I can really think of when it comes to him in a managerial role. Not sure how much managing experience franklin has but hoping for a fire showing regardless, my DMs are open if you want to leak your whole draft plan to me I will be down to shadow draft even if i’m not in the draft plan aha

6. avarice + highways
- The more I think about it these guys should be maybe a slot higher. But here I am being too lazy to think hard enough to change it. I think the floor is really low for these two and the ceiling is very high. Could end up winning the whole thing or could be dead last not even remotely close to competing with a bunch of hooligans. Avarice support matters a lot if it’s with the right people, if he gets some goblins to pilot his stuff happily without any sense of self sufficiency they might all just x-0 and the team will walk straight into a free trophy ring. Not sure what highways is up to these days but I was really high on his SS, anyways though like I said these guys will either ball or be garbo so we’ll see what’s poppin after the draft.

7. bb skarm + dugza
- Could also be higher just because I don’t think these two are worthy of being seventh if there was no other context, but these manager sign ups were way stronger than usual imho. Usually we’re really scraping the bottom of the barrel every year w the last few slots. bb skarm + dugza I think similarly to the team above can have both a high ceiling and a low floor, I have no real clue as to how these two will do, dugza’s success with row definitely says smth and does matter, and bb skarm has managing experience, i don’t recall how his team did last UU Snake, but I recall feeling it was pretty strong, being able to land both pdt and rob in the early rounds, which does give me hope in a potential draft plan that these two can come up with. I just think in UU specifically these two aren’t as proven as managers above them in this PR.

8. dunoks + jeza.p
- Definitely the stinker of the bunch, at points in time I would consider myself a dunoks fan, but I feel like he has rarely been all that active in team chats i’ve had with him, and maybe that’s just bc his homies aren’t there with him?? but I can’t imagine a team of his homies is crushing the competition in this tour where he ends up with a ring. Idk much if anything at all abt jeza, maybe they are god tbh. So that’s on me, but with what I do know these two are the worst manager duo pretty easily to me. There is a chance they ball out and prove me wrong for sure, but I don’t think it’s smart to put any money on it.

1695495984969.png

Dragonites
SV: Booty
SV: Sage
SV: Feliburn
SS: avarice
SM: Lyssa
ORAS: lax
BW: Eternal Spirit
DPP: HSOWA
ADV: Hantsuki
GSC: Holly
RBY: MrSoup
Subs: Rasche, Tree64920, Le Don, damien the genius, Melt Gibson

vtubers
SV 1 - zs
SV 2 - Leni
SV 3 - ojr
SV 4 - Mossy Sandwich
SS - Justfranco
SM - Amukamara
ORAS - Xrn
BW - Goldcat
DPP - Heysup
ADV - Fatty
GSC - Kaori
RBY - Fc
Goated bench: THE DripLegend, tri-lingual Sirwings, djdibdab breloominati, and then Azick

Sandacondas
SV1: TPP
SV2 : vivalospride
SV3 : Chaos23333
SV4 : dex
SS : Liz Angeles
SM : etern
Oras : Dugza
BW : Fakee
DPP : hariyana grande
ADV : Cam
GSC : MR.378
RBY : Sablette
Sub : Metallica126, basaninho, mimilimi, autumn

Tomorrow
SV ciro napoli
SV Javi
SV BlackKnight_Gawain
SV rae
SS udongirl
SM punny
ORAS mada
BW Monai
DPP micciu
ADV yokoisop
GSC inder
RBY spellcaster
subs corvere haxlolo Bella yokoisop

Primarinas
SV Lily
SV Notily
SV Andyboy
SV Alkione
SS Attribute
SM robjr
ORAS Gondra (with Pak in team cord)
BW choolio
DPP Elf
ADV LpZ
GSC col49
RBY Amaranth
bench: phoopes, celebiii, the strap, raahel

ascovillains
sv mncmt
sv passion
sv hs
sv parpar
ss moutemoute
sm pdt
oras dingbat
bw corperate n
dpp tnunes
adv zerkas
gsc cherrybong
rby justdrew
subs: floss thatoneapple goombatower69 superkernel44

Last edited:
View attachment 554610

Dragonites
SV: Booty
SV: Sage
SV: Feliburn
SS: avarice
SM: Lyssa
ORAS: lax
BW: Eternal Spirit
DPP: HSOWA
ADV: Hantsuki
GSC: Holly
RBY: MrSoup
Subs: Rasche, Tree64920, Le Don, damien the genius, Melt Gibson

vtubers
SV 1 - zs
SV 2 - Leni
SV 3 - ojr
SV 4 - Mossy Sandwich
SS - Justfranco
SM - Amukamara
ORAS - Xrn
BW - Goldcat
DPP - Heysup
ADV - Fatty
GSC - Kaori
RBY - Fc
Goated bench: THE DripLegend, tri-lingual Sirwings, djdibdab breloominati, and then Azick

Sandacondas
SV1: TPP
SV2 : vivalospride
SV3 : Chaos23333
SV4 : dex
SS : Liz Angeles
SM : etern
Oras : Dugza
BW : Fakee
DPP : hariyana grande
ADV : Cam
GSC : MR.378
RBY : Sablette
Sub : Metallica126, basaninho, mimilimi, autumn

Tomorrow
SV ciro napoli
SV Javi
SV BlackKnight_Gawain
SV rae
SS udongirl
SM punny
ORAS mada
BW Monai
DPP micciu
ADV yokoisop
GSC inder
RBY spellcaster
subs corvere haxlolo Bella yokoisop

Primarinas
SV Lily
SV Notily
SV Andyboy
SV Alkione
SS Attribute
SM robjr
ORAS Gondra (with Pak in team cord)
BW choolio
DPP Elf
ADV LpZ
GSC col49
RBY Amaranth
bench: phoopes, celebiii, the strap, raahel

ascovillains
sv mncmt
sv passion
sv hs
sv parpar
ss moutemoute
sm pdt
oras dingbat
bw corperate n
dpp tnunes
adv zerkas
gsc cherrybong
rby justdrew
subs: floss thatoneapple goombatower69 superkernel44
I made a lineup for the mocc dragonairs:
SV: TJ/691/TyCarter/devin
SS: BFM
SM: Xiri
ORAS: Chait
BW: Finch
DPP: Beraldo
ADV: Amity
GSC: FV13 (real)
RBY: royz

Melt Gibson

planting gardens in the potholes
is a Forum Moderator
you should draft me for uusd because i am swag and cool and a good friend to all :3

jokes aside im very hyped for this tour, a lot of friends managing and shifts coming soon for SV/suspect conditions in oldgens are bound to make this interesting :)

EllingtonReborn

I'm Amity
is a Pre-Contributor
Why I should get drafted in UUSD:

:rb/lapras: :gs/lapras: :rs/lapras: :dp/lapras: :bw/lapras: :xy/lapras: :sm/lapras: :ss/lapras: :sv/lapras:
DONT FAIL ME NOW LAPRAS I NEED YOU I LOVE YOU I GOTTA HAVE YOU IN THIS METAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA <333333333

However I got into the hyper-specific oldgen lower tier that is ADV UU is beyond me, but I have some experience in this tier and it seems like I have active discussions about it daily, I want what's best for this tier and I think me participating in a suspect test will help us know what we need to do with Lapras. I have been drafted for UUFPL and I've had tournament wins in both UU and NU. Because I was drafted in UUFPL, I have some experience playing in a Lapras meta and have built multiple Lapras teams with Glue. I know some ins and outs about what type of meta Lapras would tend to provide, and I can eek out some knowledge on how to provide whatever team I get drafted in to success. If you draft Amity, you won't be disappointed!

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
you should draft me for uusd because i am swag and cool and a good friend to all :3

jokes aside im very hyped for this tour, a lot of friends managing and shifts coming soon for SV/suspect conditions in oldgens are bound to make this interesting :)
you should draft him for uusd because he am swag and cool and a good friend to all :3

It was a harrowing day in UU... The fourth edition of the fabled Snake Draft tournament was soon to begin, and panic filled the streets. The tournament managers scrambled, attempting and failing to find the key player who could potentially turn the tides of the whole tournament. When all hope seemed to be lost, the sleestacks signal was cast into the sky...

worry signal.png

Managers, players, and spectators. Drafting me for UUSD will be no mistake. Take a look:
I may even edit this section and add more replays in tomorrow! Wowza!

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1944599014 (team used: https://pokepast.es/1155f3c5eb2d7124) - I correctly identify hisuian arcanine as my biggest threat, bring it in ASAP, and even weaken chesnaught for an alternative wincon of a quaquaval sweep (although it wasn't needed here).

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1855587404 (team used: https://pokepast.es/ba8a06135f8fec6a) - an old replay but a good one. making a few good reads lets me keep hazards up, which puts a whole lot of pressure on the enemy team and lets me break through the tera-ghost wo-chien which I have an awful matchup against especially after I accidentally sac gyarados to foul play.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1943804679 (team used: https://pokepast.es/c97c639a2d483c77) - matching up with HO into lokix? and it has knock off for my klefki's light clay too? here I realize that I have to win very fast before lokix just claims a kill with every switchin, so I force a kill on bellibolt with SD haxorus to break with thundurus-therian and clean with my own lokix at the end. pretty clean planning and execution.

EDIT: Another replay!!!!!

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-1953050076 (team used: https://pokepast.es/67c73eb1feef9be9) - baiting out the chesnaught tera with my tauros to let bellibolt have a truly fantastic volt switch, and preserving the tauros to click trailblaze in the lategame for a mostly clean, certainly planned win.
Screenshot 2023-09-17 at 12.58.05 AM.png

my current UU ladder peak, achieved this about a week ago pre-quaquaval/ceruledge ban with this: https://pokepast.es/284be668598ba1a5.
1. I can build quite well! With the new Gen 9 DLC meta coming up, things will change very quickly, and I'll be able to quickly adapt and build with what's new. For example, earlier today, I built this pretty creative build for the post-quaquaval ban meta and won some matches around 1550 with it: https://pokepast.es/a76a70d3884ba50b.

2. I love being active and talking to others in general - see all my activity in PIA for example. I guarantee that I'll post some good builds in the team discord, as well as being pretty friendly and enthusiastic when it comes to everything else.

3. I have a ton of meta knowledge of gen 9 UU in general. Even if the meta shifts super drastically on October 1st, I know what works currently and I will be ready to adapt old styles and Pokemon into a new format.
This would be my second tournament and first team tournament, so I'm very excited for whatever happens. Thanks for taking a look at this post, and I'm happy to even be considered for any team in UUSD!

Last edited:

Aqua Jet

Boba Bitch
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Since I'm not managing this time around I figure I'd help to give some people looking to play in the tournament an edge, so I present you to:

⭐Aqua Jet's Super Amazing Guide on How to (probably) get drafted⭐

DO's
1) Sell yourself
sleestacks did a great job of this in the post above this one. I'm gonna break this down into several subsections because its a lot.

1a) Accomplishments
If you have playing accomplishments, now's the time to show them off. This proves that you have good piloting skill, assuming you're hoping to start or be an emergency sub.

1b) Reputation
Having a good reputation is vital. When I managed UUFPL last year, I drafted Totomon, who proved to be extremely active and did very well. With this performance in mind, as well as consideration towards his past accomplishments such as beating adaam in ORAS CUP the year before that, I knew I wanted him on my UUSD team, where he proved vital in supporting our SS slots. Another good example is Queen of Bean - she was active in the room and proved to be competent which (I assume? Feel free to correct me @ zoe) was the reason the Idols picked her up in UUPL, a tournament in which she worked very hard to ensure the dominance of the Idols' SV core. QoB then was chosen for UUWC, during which she did much of the same (as well as playing and winning several games, if my memory serves me correctly). While she is managing this tournament, if she chooses not to manage UUPL next year I assume she'll be going for 7.5k+ due to her sheer dedication to the tier as well as her great attitude. The final example is starbitstorm, a relatively unknown name at the beginning of this past UUPL who had earned the respect of my co-manager. He was described as being "extremely dedicated to improving and learning the tier", so we decided to pick him up, a decision which we didn't regret as he was one of (if not the most) active in SV building during the tournament. These three examples are just a handful of many that proves that doing well in a tournament, even if in a supporting role, will lead to many benefits down the road.
Even if you've never participated in a team tournament before, just proving competence is a good step, which leads me to my next point.

2) Be involved in the community
Last UUSD I also wanted to draft Monky (but he was robbed from me by a certain Indigo Person that shall go unnamed). This was because of the following reasons:
- He was a very active forum poster - in every (or at least the vast majority of) suspect thread, he posted his thoughts. He was also very active in forum projects, which is where I got my start in the tier.
- C&C Member - This was essentially a recommendation that proved he had a good grasp of the meta, as his checks were consistently of high-quality.
- Active - helps to contribute to the community and tier
- He's a good person, I like him a lot even if we disagree on most (every?) thing

3) Try out
If a manager team is doing tryouts, take them up on it! It shows that you're eager, which (to me at least) is an indicator of a hard worker.

4) Diverse Skill set - see Togkey's post here

5) Get on good terms with the managers
People are going to want to be around people who they like (or at least don't hate), and managers aren't an exception to this. If a manager doesn't like you, you probably aren't getting picked up by them. It is because of this that it is important to have a decent at worst relationship with as many managers as possible. As objective as a manager tries to be, skill level is subjective, and if choosing between someone they're familiar with or someone who the manager doesn't know very well, the manager will very likely choose the familiar person.

DON'T's

1) Be annoying

Conversely, people (managers included) don't wanna be around others they don't like. This especially includes saying stuff like "I'm ass" or "I'm so bad, I should just quit".

I'll add more as it comes to me

I'm not managing and obviously can't guarantee anything. but this is generally what I looked for when I was managing in the past so hopefully this helps some of you.

E: also I forgot but dont make a youtube video set to drake (?) - under the sea edition
ur dog is very cute tho Rae

Last edited:

Queen of Bean

is a Community Contributor
UUPL Champion
DON'T's

1) Be annoying

Conversely, people (managers included) don't wanna be around others they don't like. This especially includes saying stuff like "I'm ass" or "I'm so bad, I should just quit".
1695731917974.png

E: also I forgot but dont make a youtube video set to drake (?) - under the sea edition
Dont listen to the haters Rae this only made me want to draft you more

Since I'm not managing this time around I figure I'd help to give some people looking to play in the tournament an edge, so I present you to:

⭐Aqua Jet's Super Amazing Guide on How to (probably) get drafted⭐

DO's
1) Sell yourself
sleestacks did a great job of this in the post above this one. I'm gonna break this down into several subsections because its a lot.

1a) Accomplishments
If you have playing accomplishments, now's the time to show them off. This proves that you have good piloting skill, assuming you're hoping to start or be an emergency sub.

1b) Reputation
Having a good reputation is vital. When I managed UUFPL last year, I drafted Totomon, who proved to be extremely active and did very well. With this performance in mind, as well as consideration towards his past accomplishments such as beating adaam in ORAS CUP the year before that, I knew I wanted him on my UUSD team, where he proved vital in supporting our SS slots. Another good example is Queen of Bean - she was active in the room and proved to be competent which (I assume? Feel free to correct me @ zoe) was the reason the Idols picked her up in UUPL, a tournament in which she worked very hard to ensure the dominance of the Idols' SV core. QoB then was chosen for UUWC, during which she did much of the same (as well as playing and winning several games, if my memory serves me correctly). While she is managing this tournament, if she chooses not to manage UUPL next year I assume she'll be going for 7.5k+ due to her sheer dedication to the tier as well as her great attitude. The final example is starbitstorm, a relatively unknown name at the beginning of this past UUPL who had earned the respect of my co-manager. He was described as being "extremely dedicated to improving and learning the tier", so we decided to pick him up, a decision which we didn't regret as he was one of (if not the most) active in SV building during the tournament. These three examples are just a handful of many that proves that doing well in a tournament, even if in a supporting role, will lead to many benefits down the road.
Even if you've never participated in a team tournament before, just proving competence is a good step, which leads me to my next point.

2) Be involved in the community
Last UUSD I also wanted to draft Monky (but he was robbed from me by a certain Indigo Person that shall go unnamed). This was because of the following reasons:
- He was a very active forum poster - in every (or at least the vast majority of) suspect thread, he posted his thoughts. He was also very active in forum projects, which is where I got my start in the tier.
- C&C Member - This was essentially a recommendation that proved he had a good grasp of the meta, as his checks were consistently of high-quality.
- Active - helps to contribute to the community and tier
- He's a good person, I like him a lot even if we disagree on most (every?) thing

3) Try out
If a manager team is doing tryouts, take them up on it! It shows that you're eager, which (to me at least) is an indicator of a hard worker.

4) Get on good terms with the managers
People are going to want to be around people who they like (or at least don't hate), and managers aren't an exception to this. If a manager doesn't like you, you probably aren't getting picked up by them. It is because of this that it is important to have a decent at worst relationship with as many managers as possible. As objective as a manager tries to be, skill level is subjective, and if choosing between someone they're familiar with or someone who the manager doesn't know very well, the manager will very likely choose the familiar person.

DON'T's

1) Be annoying

I'll add more as it comes to me

I'm not managing and obviously can't guarantee anything. but this is generally what I looked for when I was managing in the past so hopefully this helps some of you.

great guide aqua jet. has this been used to get into smogon champions league?

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
as someone whos been very involved w c&c and team tours i guarantee u writing analysis will help u as much with getting drafted as playing magic the gathering will help u with getting girls

TyCarter

Tough Scene
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Fuck the haters AJ, networking and getting to know people can maybe improve your chances as there's a drive into deep left field by Castellanos, it will be a home run. And so that will make it a 4-0 ballgame. I don’t know if I'm gonna be putting on this headset again.

Edit: jokes aside, at least give Luirromen his dues consider he wrote the original guide on PIA.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)