UU Retirement

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I was new to UU once (1 month ago) and was surprised at how fun it was when I first tried it, so I kept going. Basically, this is the first UU Team I had ever made and it's probably not the best, but I had some good times with it. Now I am posting this team since it's retired and I have made more teams and well I feel this one deserves a retirement RMT. (what a gay paragraph)

Swellow (M) @ Flame Orb *** Minokawa
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Quick Attack
- Brave Bird
- Facade

I never really found this pokemon very useful in my team other than scouting, it was a basic filler since I didn't know what were the standard leads in UU, but it helped me out alot with U-Turn and was a pretty good physical attacker after the Flame Orb activation. I runned Jolly because of the fear of lead Scarfers, such as Hitmonchan and such and the Flame Orb boost was gave me enough attack.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb *** Huo Yuanjia
Ability: Limber
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Mach Punch

Hitmonlee, one of my top 5 pokemon of the UU metagame. This set has the most potential with my team, Mach Punch hitting things first and killing them off. I really don't know what to say here, a staple on alot of my recent UU teams, I love this.

Poliwrath (M) @ Leftovers *** Vato Musculoso
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Hypnosis
- Waterfall
- Brick Break

This is my answer to Rain Dance teams, a Bulky ass pokemon with alot of potential. I do realize I run 2 Fighting types, but it really doesen't matter, like Hitmonlee, Poliwrath helps me with Rain Dance teams who are deadly and capable of destroying teams with ease if not ready for them, and Pilowrath is the hero of the team. I run Bulk Up + Hypnosis as I found it a very useful combo, sleeping and a free turn of Bulk Up. Waterfall and Brick Break are for STAB.

Rotom @ Choice Scarf *** Candy Wrapper
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Shadow Ball
- Sleep Talk

Scarf Rotom is here because this team kinda lacked Speed, and Rotom is always a awesome pokemon to scarf. HP Grass is for those Quagsires and Gastrodons who tried to predict a Thunderbolt and switch in and ended up with a HP Grass killing them, leaving me to Thunderbolt without fear. Shadow Ball is for STAB and for other Rotoms that don't expect my Rotom to be scarfed, and Sleep Talk on a Choiced User is always fun.

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers *** Maria la Del Barrio
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Softboiled
- Ice Beam
- Seismic Toss

Very useful pokemon, I have alot of success with her in my first try. Stealth Rock on Clefable seems pretty lol, but it actually helps me alot more than expected and it works on her. Seismic Toss always helps me with other Clefable or Bulky Pokemon that I have trouble taking down, and Ice Beam is to hit random things like Specs Altarias and Rotoms, Softboiled for recovery.

Claydol @ Leftovers *** Cuatro Caras
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SAtk
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earth Power
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

This is my Hitmonlee and Fighting pokemon counter, and it works wonders. I don't run Stealth Rock here, because I find Psychic and Earth Power a useful combination for taking down things like Hitmonlee and Drapion and such, and Ice Beam always works to take down Altarias and such. Rapid Spin is for taking out Spikes and other things that can trouble my team.

This is probably and isn't the best team out there, but this team brought me up in Tournaments such as Team Trials and such, again not the best and has flaws, but it's something special for me.

A note on your Claydol: you're running a relaxed nature when you lack any physical moves--you don't need to sacrifice the speed and you should just go bold instead.

The first thing I noticed (and wanted to comment something on) was the 2 moves you had for Poliwrath. I was thinking Water + Fighting isn't extremely good coverage. So, I did a quick check, and yeah, that combo is resisted by all grass/poison in UU, Mantine, Jumpluff, Toxicroak, Parasect and a few other not very common UUs like Tropius/Wormadam/Surskit... and Shedinja of course. On the other hand Water + Normal is resisted only by Shedinja in UU.

So yeah, I think Body Slam over Brick Break is probably better. Body Slam because Poliwrath can make use of the paralysis (assuming your opponent switches out the sleeper of course), and Waterfall works well with paralysis. Paralysis also doesn't interfere with the rest of your team either (i.e. no other status inducer other than Hypnosis, but then of course there's sleep clause). Otherwise Return is all right too. Of course you do lose STAB, but really for neutral damage Brick Break's base power is 75 * 1.5 = 112 while Return's is 102, so not a huge difference. Body Slam would be less of course, but Poliwrath, Hitmonlee (since it's adamant and not scarfed), Clefable, and Claydol can all benefit at least slightly from paralysis. That's all.

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I would say it's worth considering going with Sub > Hypnosis on Poliwrath, seing as something like Rotom can come in and just WoW/Thunder Wave you essentially making you useless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)