[UU Beta] A New Era (peaked #6)

A New Era
Introduction:
I created this team to try the new Generation VI UU metagame (still unofficial). I played several games with it and I got surprisingly good results, reaching #6 on the new ladder with a record of 23 wins - 2 losses. So, I wanted to share the team and I'm open to suggestions to improve it.
Note: I built this team and laddered with it before the Kyurem-b / Manaphy ban.

#6-uubeta.PNG

Teambuilding Process:
I didn't put that much thought into building the team, but I tried to select pokemon that had good synergy together and filled some specific roles, which I will specify in each pokemon's set comments. This is what the initial team looked like:
I only made one significant change in the team, which was to remove zygarde. I had a specially defensive coil set, but it lacked power and wasn't doing much for the team. I changed it for a more offensive EV spread but it still wasn't effective. At this point, I thought about changing zygarde to a dragon dance set, but I decided to replace it instead, by bisharp.
The Team:
(Changes will be in Bold)

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind​

Hippowdon is a vital member of this team and it does a great job at supporting it. The EVs and nature increase Hippowdon's physical bulk so it can serve as a physical wall and the SDef investment allows it to take some special hits more confortably.
Stealth Rock is a very important move for the team (and for most teams in general) because it wears down every member of the opposing team and, as long as it is on the field, my opponent can't switch so freely. Slack Off is a method of reliable recovery that extends Hippo's longevity. Earthquake is a strong and accurate STAB move. Whirlwind prevents opponents from setting up and whatever pokemon comes in will take SR damage.
The item choice is obvious: Leftovers slowly heals Hippowdon's precious health. The ability, Sand Stream, is useful for canceling rain and for its passive damage, but it's not the reason to use this pokemon.
Hippowdon's job is to set up SR and tank hits for the team, and it does it very well.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 236 SDef / 252 HP / 20 Spd
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Recover
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

I chose specially defensive Celebi because it is a special wall that has good synergy with Hippowdon.
Celebi's only STAB move is Psychic and not Giga Drain because of the extra power and it hits neutrally pokemon like Thundurus-t. Recover keeps Celebi alive and allows it to take small hits indefinitely. U-turn maintains momentum by letting me switch after my opponent. Thunder Wave cripples any sweeper that isn't immune to it.
Celebi's role is to check special attackers, provide paralysis support and absorb status (with Natural Cure). It is also essential to handle rain teams.​

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse (Scald)
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Rapid Spin

I hate the idea of using a teamslot only for Rapid Spin / Defog support. In this case, however, not only Mega Blastoise is extremely effective in that role, but he is also very useful outside of it. Blastoise provides good synergy by resisting Ice and Fire. Its EVs and Nature maximize its SAtk and bulk, which are naturally good.
Scald is a moderately strong, accurate STAB move, with a good chance to cause a burn. Water Pulse can be used instead, but the power difference isn't that big. Dark Pulse and Aura Sphere are boosted by Mega Launcher and have great coverage together along Scald. Dark Pulse also destroys any Ghost-types that might come in to prevent me from spinning. Rapid Spin is a great move that clears all hazards on my side of the field; for example, it renders hazard-setting Deoxys-s/-d almost useless. This team isn't in desperate need of spin support, but it is very nice.​

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 204 Spd / 252 Atk / 52 HP
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute​

Bisharp is the only member that wasn't on the team initially, but it didn't disappoint. It is incredibly powerful, its STAB moves have good coverage and it's got strong priority. Its ability, Defiant, takes advantage of Intimidate and Defog. The speed EVs are to outspeed base 95 pokemon with no investment.
Knock Off is an amazing move this generation. It's powerful and anything that tries to switch in loses its item (except Mega pokemon). Iron Head is a secondary STAB move that hits most pokemon that resist Dark. Sucker Punch is very strong priority and makes up for Bisharp's unimpressive speed stat. In the last slot, Substitute takes advantage of switches Bisharp causes and eases prediction with Sucker Punch.​

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

Choice Band Metagross is here because of its power, bulk and priority. It can punch holes in the other team earlier in the game and clean up later with Bullet Punch. Speed EVs to outspeed bulky Mega Heracross.
Meteor Mash hits incredibly hard everything that doesn't resist it and has a chance of further boosting its attack. For most things that do resist it, Earthquake takes care of them. Zen Headbutt is a secondary STAB move that hits Fighting-types and stuff that resists Steel and isn't weak to Earthquake, like Thundurus-t and Zapdos. Bullet Punch is strong and has priority, and helps cleaning up late-game.

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

The last member is Scarf Rotom-Heat. It is an effective revenge killer and each of its moves has utility.
Volt Switch hits hard and maintains momentum. It can be used to revenge kill and the opponent can't take advantage of you becoming locked into a move, but the user must be cautious when the other team has an Electric-immune pokemon. Thunderbolt is strong STAB move with no drawbacks and can be used to finish weakened teams. Overheat is a very high-powered STAB that has decent coverage with Thunderbolt. Trick is very useful because it can cripple a defensive pokemon for the entire game.

Conclusion:
I hoped you liked this RMT and any feedback is appreciated.
If you want to see this team in action, here are some replays; or, if you want to try it yourself, just copy the importable.

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Rapid Spin

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 236 SDef / 252 HP / 20 Spd
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Recover
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 204 Spd / 252 Atk / 52 HP
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute

Last edited:
I'm not terribly active in the UU beta (waiting for it all to settle a bit, but it looks like sub-calm mind gardevoir-M could give you some trouble. I'm not sure about celebi as the premier special wall because of how dangerous fairy-types are in the meta. Anyway, congrats on the ranking, cheers!

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
I've played this team several times. (I peaked #20 on the ladder). I think I mainly just did a number on it with Bulky Mega Heracross. Once I finished Rotom and Metagross off, it was GG. Nothing on your team can switch into it and it just wrecks in general. I would say Doublade over Bisharp. It walls Mega Heracross to death (Max 10% from any move except EQ) and can use the turn to set up an SD. Even Zapdos takes 60% from this things +2 Gyro Ball. It can also clean up end game with +2 Shadow Sneaks.

2 things.

The team is real weak to dark hits.

LO + Sub is usually not a fantastic idea. SD or even rock polish would be a better option on the bisharp, imo.

Other than that, pretty scary, bulky looking team :]

Scald is a moderately strong, accurate STAB move, with a good chance to cause a burn. Water Pulse can be used instead, but the power difference isn't that big.
Mmmmmmmmmmm a 12.5% difference is quite significant. As an offensive Rapin Spinner, I would definitely recommend using Water Pulse.

As starmaster said, your team gets wrecked by M-Heracross, so i suggest putting Set-Up Skarmory over Bisharp/Metagross.

I'm not terribly active in the UU beta (waiting for it all to settle a bit, but it looks like sub-calm mind gardevoir-M could give you some trouble. I'm not sure about celebi as the premier special wall because of how dangerous fairy-types are in the meta. Anyway, congrats on the ranking, cheers!
Yes, Celebi can't handle SubCM M-Gardevoir but Metagross OHKO's with Bullet Punch and can take a Shadow Ball in case Garde has put up a sub. It does threaten my team, so I must play carefully.

I've played this team several times. (I peaked #20 on the ladder). I think I mainly just did a number on it with Bulky Mega Heracross. Once I finished Rotom and Metagross off, it was GG. Nothing on your team can switch into it and it just wrecks in general. I would say Doublade over Bisharp. It walls Mega Heracross to death (Max 10% from any move except EQ) and can use the turn to set up an SD. Even Zapdos takes 60% from this things +2 Gyro Ball. It can also clean up end game with +2 Shadow Sneaks.
I didn't run into many M-Heracross, but I admit it gives a lot of trouble (also, I would always save Rotom-H if I see a Heracross). Doublade would solve that but I'm afraid it increases my weakness to Dark-types. Perhaps if I replace Metagross instead it could work. I'll test Doublade today.

2 things.

The team is real weak to dark hits.

LO + Sub is usually not a fantastic idea. SD or even rock polish would be a better option on the bisharp, imo.

Other than that, pretty scary, bulky looking team :]
Yes, the team has some trouble with Dark-type pokemon, but Mega-Blastoise can defeat them with Mega Launcher Aura Sphere.
Initially I wasn't sure if I should run Substitute or Swords Dance on Bisharp, but Sub has actually worked quite well.

Mmmmmmmmmmm a 12.5% difference is quite significant. As an offensive Rapin Spinner, I would definitely recommend using Water Pulse.
What I meant was that the burn was more valuable than the extra power, but you're probably right, Water Pulse is the best choice.

As starmaster said, your team gets wrecked by M-Heracross, so i suggest putting Set-Up Skarmory over Bisharp/Metagross.
Skarmory is OU.

Take whimsicott in example. B2/W2. SubLeech Set is ubers. but other sets are ou.
In whimsicott's analysis, there is a set (SubSeed) that is in the Ubers section. This means that the set is viable in the Ubers metagame. But if you check that same page, you'll see that Whimsicott's tier is RU.

In whimsicott's analysis, there is a set (SubSeed) that is in the Ubers section. This means that the set is viable in the Ubers metagame. But if you check that same page, you'll see that Whimsicott's tier is RU.
So you just agreed that pokemon's set basically means its tier. Cool.

So, I have tried doublade and I wasn't very happy with it. I think the team is better as it is. I'm also swapping Scald for Water Pulse on Blastoise.

Okay, I tried explaining but you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Just drop it.

*facepalm*

Pokemon are put in tiers based on their usage. Skarmory is currently an Over used Pokemon, meaning it is on the ban list for any lower tiers (UU, RU or NU) and Skarmory as a Pokemon cannot be used in anything lower than OU.

A Pokemon from a lower tier can however be used in a higher tier. For example I could use Magikarp in Ubers, if I so desired, not that it would be viable. However some Pokemon maintain viability in higher tiers, lets take Whimiscott as it was the example that you used. It is the only Pokemon to boast Prankster Leech Seed, giving it a nice niche which can be used in Ubers to some success. But over all as a Pokemon, it isn't much better than RU (well at least for last gens sake).

I hope this clears a few things up, and if doesn't I suggest PMing a mod to clear it up for you before you post in another RMT like that.

Apologies pipasonze. Looks like a solid team though, although Heracross can punch holes, as long you can keep Rotom-H alive it should be able to deal with it quite well, as I think everyone else seems to be underestimating this teams chances of dealing with it..
252 SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Heracross: 350-414 (96.1 - 113.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
But it does have to watch out, as if Overheat misses or you are already at -2...
252+ Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-H: 380-450 (157.6 - 186.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
...it isn't all pretty.

Metagross can also deal with it without being OHKOed while OHKOing it back
252+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Heracross: 392-464 (107.6 - 127.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So you do have a fighting chance against it, but all your other team members get destroyed by it, and nothing can afford to switch into it. This is even scarier, as because you cannot choose to switch so easily it could choose to get a Moxie boost instead on that turn, and if Rotom-H is gone, that could mean serious problems as M-Heracross still outspeeds Metagross. Although I personally thing that you could leave it covered at that, it might not be too bad an idea to put a few speed EVs onto Metagross so that it has just enough to outspeed uninvested M-Hera, if you are having troubles with it.

Otherwise looks like a solid team.

Apologies pipasonze. Looks like a solid team though, although Heracross can punch holes, as long you can keep Rotom-H alive it should be able to deal with it quite well, as I think everyone else seems to be underestimating this teams chances of dealing with it..
252 SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Heracross: 350-414 (96.1 - 113.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
But it does have to watch out, as if Overheat misses or you are already at -2...
252+ Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Rotom-H: 380-450 (157.6 - 186.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
...it isn't all pretty.

Metagross can also deal with it without being OHKOed while OHKOing it back
252+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Heracross: 392-464 (107.6 - 127.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So you do have a fighting chance against it, but all your other team members get destroyed by it, and nothing can afford to switch into it. This is even scarier, as because you cannot choose to switch so easily it could choose to get a Moxie boost instead on that turn, and if Rotom-H is gone, that could mean serious problems as M-Heracross still outspeeds Metagross. Although I personally thing that you could leave it covered at that, it might not be too bad an idea to put a few speed EVs onto Metagross so that it has just enough to outspeed uninvested M-Hera, if you are having troubles with it.

Otherwise looks like a solid team.
Thanks for the rate. I agree with everything you said. The team can handle Mega Heracross, but I have to sac something to bring a revenge killer safely. Metagross only needs 44 EVs to outspeed min Speed Mega Heracross, so it's probably worth it.

Yes, Celebi can't handle SubCM M-Gardevoir but Metagross OHKO's with Bullet Punch and can take a Shadow Ball in case Garde has put up a sub. It does threaten my team, so I must play carefully.

I didn't run into many M-Heracross, but I admit it gives a lot of trouble (also, I would always save Rotom-H if I see a Heracross). Doublade would solve that but I'm afraid it increases my weakness to Dark-types. Perhaps if I replace Metagross instead it could work. I'll test Doublade today.

Yes, the team has some trouble with Dark-type pokemon, but Mega-Blastoise can defeat them with Mega Launcher Aura Sphere.
Initially I wasn't sure if I should run Substitute or Swords Dance on Bisharp, but Sub has actually worked quite well.

What I meant was that the burn was more valuable than the extra power, but you're probably right, Water Pulse is the best choice.

Skarmory is OU.
You could run sucker punch/iron head/sub/sd with lefties ofcourse, it has been working really well for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)