US Regional Qualifier - Seattle, WA - May 8th, 2010 WON BY ZEROWING

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
I made it to round 4, but was DQ'd due to one of my leads having 514 EV's - yeah, I'm lazy. I had a great time anyway, and my wife and I had a great time rooting for Cake in Juniors (dude, why didn't you use Shadow Ball?) along with my own 3 battles. Short semi-warstory:
Round 1: Was in line in front of this fellow, and got into a conversation with him before I realized we would battle. He asked me what my team was, and I politely stated that it was a secret. Then he asked me if had any shiny pokes... well, I wrote down the URL for the RNG help thread and told him to PM me. 3-0
Round 2: This one had me lined up against a very pleasant guy who was wearing a lot of punk rock patches on his jacket. As a punk rocker, I naturally felt some solidarity, but his strategy was fatally flawed. Lesson learned: never run Scizor in VGC. 3-0.
Round 3: This was the first solid team I had seen, but I had over-predicted some on the first turn. I didn't mind, since it bought me momentum, anyway. This opponent was very emotive, and his expressions pretty much told my wife what my progress was in the game. 2-0.

I may have been the first person DQ'd in the Seniors in the US- I didn't hear anyone before me, but I was very focused, so I may have missed it. I admit that I cut corners, but that advantage of an extra stat point would not have caused me to win/lose any of the matches that led me into the finalist's lounge. In the end, I did my best, and I make no excuses for my mistakes. I'd like to give a shout out to Dr. Cossack, who helped me perfect my team through a series of grueling test battles. I'd like to think it could have progressed further in the tourney had I checked my arithmetic the night before, but whatever - it was a lot of fun! Seriously - even if you don't plan on competing, compete - a Smogoner has an instant edge on any noob from another forum, and there's 700+ slots to be had.
514 EV's. You noob! :)

Nice job otherwise though, and I'm glad I could help.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TRE, can you upload Fish vs Bug Master Marc? It was an amazing battle. Probably more exciting than even the finals.
I think you mean my friend Catherine (it starts with C)? It was nice to have met u and talked with u a bit!

I'd definitely go enter the tournament again next year if my local friends are available to accompany me (and hopefully enter also), and obviously if I have the time.

EDIT: O yeah, after the final match (between Zerowing and Fish), I was thinking... ... Shedinja could have potentially used Sunny Day / Protect a few times to hopefully stall out Sucker Punch PP and still might have had a chance to win (assuming Aboma and Top had not other moves to hit Shedinja)? EDIT:... Wait, sorry that was not the final match. Bah.
Ah yeah her. I'd have liked to talk to you more but you didn't get eliminated fast enough ;) I wanted to sit in those comfy chairs in the finalists lounge.

Hey, so I barely got back from Seattle (fun town), wasn't able to check smogon at all on my stay there. Anyways, I ended up on the top 4 and going to nationals. I lost to zerowing, good game btw. I probably fought a couple more smogonites but I couldn't tell.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
TRE, can you upload Fish vs Bug Master Marc? It was an amazing battle. Probably more exciting than even the finals.Ah yeah her. I'd have liked to talk to you more but you didn't get eliminated fast enough ;) I wanted to sit in those comfy chairs in the finalists lounge.
I'm actually uploading that now. It shouldn't take much longer for it to be up.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey, so I barely got back from Seattle (fun town), wasn't able to check smogon at all on my stay there. Anyways, I ended up on the top 4 and going to nationals. I lost to zerowing, good game btw. I probably fought a couple more smogonites but I couldn't tell.
Ah I didn't know you posted here too. Smogonites swept Top 4. Not bad. Guess the site is becoming the premier destination for Doubles / VGC Play as well as Singles =)

oh man... in just 1 tourney we owned the top 4?!?!
I think this does prove that we have the best battlers... now lets hope this progresses the same way in nationals and then worlds.

Ah I didn't know you posted here too. Smogonites swept Top 4. Not bad. Guess the site is becoming the premier destination for Doubles / VGC Play as well as Singles =)
Yeah, don't really post often, and this is the first tournament I've ever entered

This is the first tournament I've been able to go to. It was neat to see everyone's teams, and I learned some better strategies for next year. Maybe I'll get to have a rematch with the Mighty Duck that beat me in the second round. ;)

*sigh* I was there, I made it to round 3 but lost to I think it was Articuno, it was all because of one poor choice on my part, I should have been conservative but I got a little to anxious :/ O well, maybe next year.

EDIT: It was him, duck shirt and all.

Even one from the other Pokémon? That's useful to know, thanks.

Though he could also have Sunny Day stalled the Sucker Punches a little more...

Team Rocket Elite

For future reference, Sucker Punch always fails if the user is hit by a first-strike move before using Sucker Punch.
IIRC that's not quite right. Sucker Punch fails if you move after your target. It doesn't matter if you get hit or not and it doesn't matter which Pokemon the target of Sucker Punch is attacking.

After looking at the final and semifinal battles, it appears that Fish's full team is Abomasnow/Dialga/Groudon/Rotom-F/Kyogre/Hitmontop. I thought you could have no more than 2 ubers on your entire team, regardless of which 4 you bring into a battle... am I missing something here?

Team Rocket Elite

Bish vs Fish Senior Quarterfinal match:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvljZN-px8E

Junior Division Final match:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjlqlkB25dY

I think I also have a Junior division quarterfinal and semifinal match on video. I might upload them later if anybody wants them.

After looking at the final and semifinal battles, it appears that Fish's full team is Abomasnow/Dialga/Groudon/Rotom-F/Kyogre/Hitmontop. I thought you could have no more than 2 ubers on your entire team, regardless of which 4 you bring into a battle... am I missing something here?
You can only use 2 restricted Pokemon in a battle but you can have up to 4 on your team sheet. Naturally, you need a minimum of 2 unrestricted Pokemon on your team sheet.

You can have only 2 IN BATTLE, not per team. You can have up to 4 on a team and the other 2 you must use in all your battles.

Yeah, I know there were things that could have been done...
But of course, that's entirely my fault, hahah.
Regret is always going to be there, but I'm just glad I was able to make it this year.
Thanks to everyone who I talked with, and everyone I battled.
This tournament was awesome, I was really amazed by how many folks showed up.
I hope I can start being more active on smogon, so that next time more of you actually know I've got an account here.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
wait.. you lost to zerowing in the top 4?? he said he beat the guy who beat me in the top 4 and that the guy who lost stormed out before getting his prizes.

since he was so cocky "i've seen this team before i have this won" then he got 3-0'd lol.

is your name edgar ?_?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)