Urugamosu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/637.shtml

Yes, I stole this format from Rising Dusk. Feel free to recommend anything you think should be mentioned, but no Choice Band sets please. Also, notice that I've mentioned some sets in Optional Changes section that I found way too underwhelming, but if you have some positive experiences using any of them please hit me up.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

[Overview]

• One of the few Pokemon that gets Butterfly Dance, and hands down the most effective user of that move.
  • Very good stat distribution. Respectable defenses give it a good amount of durability and amazing offensive stats allow it to easily pull off a sweep.
  • Absolutely murdered by entry hazards, being vulnerable to all of them and bearing a 4x weakness to Stealth Rock.
  • Bad defensive typing and a low Attack stat hinder its respectable movepool and limit its usage to sweeping on the special side.
[SET]
name: Butterfly Sweeper
move 1: Butterfly Dance
move 2: Fire Blast / Fire Dance
move 3: Bug Buzz
move 4: Hidden Power Ground / Hidden Power Rock
item: Life Orb
ability: Flame Body
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Set Comments:

• Hits 553 Special Attack and 492 Speed after a single Butterfly Dance.
  • Impressively hard to take down after a boost if one doesn’t have an attack to hit it on the physical side, as Butterfly Dance boost its already high Special Defense to obscene levels.
  • Can setup on almost every special attacker that doesn’t have a move to hit it for super effective damage.
  • Urugamosu’s typing, although unfortunate, shields it from being revenge killed by the likes of Scizor’s Bullet Punch, Lucario’s Vacuum Wave and so on.
Additional Comments:

• Rapid Spin support is a must in order to abuse Urugamosu’s bulk when setting up.
  • Bug Buzz and Fire Blast are STABs and hit almost everything that doesn’t resist them for high amounts of damage.
  • Hidden Power Ground rounds off this set allowing Urugamosu to hit the likes of Heatran, Tentacruel, Terakion, Shandera and Blaziken for super effective damage.
  • Fire Dance can be used over Fire Blast if one is willing to trade the latter’s superior base power for Fire Dance’s higher PP, perfect accuracy and possibility of raising Special Attack.
  • Hidden Power Rock is another option if one desires to hit Flying-types that resist Fire-type attacks such as Gyarados, Aakeosu, Rayquaza and Salamence for super effective damage. The speed drop is extremely harmful to Urugamosu however, as he no longer can tie with other base 100 Speed Pokemon.
  • EVs are straightforward and boost Urugamosu’s sweeping capability to the maximum, while retaining an odd HP number.
  • Leftovers can be used over Life Orb if you want to abuse the Special Defense boost provided by Butterfly Dance, but it hinders Urugamosu’s sweeping potential.
Teammates & Counters:
  • Rapid Spin support cannot be emphasized enough. Doryuuzu makes an awesome partner not only because he’s the best offensive spinner, also for his resistances to Rock- and Flying-type attacks, while Urugamosu can take Fighting-type ones.
  • Many of Urugamosu’s counters are either grounded or weak to Stealth Rock, making it extremely beneficial to have entry hazards support. Nattorei excels at that job due to its amazing defensive stats and ability to take Water-type attacks.
  • Partners should be able to beat whatever Pokemon the Hidden Power type chosen by Urugamosu does not cover.
  • Ninetails and Groudon because of Drought.
  • Blissey walls Urugamosu to no end.
  • Bulky Water-types such as Kerudio and Kyogre can easily come in and start setting up Calm Minds alongside Urugamosu. Kyogre also comes with the bonus of Drizzle. Although it cannot do the same as the aforementioned two, Burungeru resists both STABs and has good Special Defense.
  • Other counters depend on whatever kind of Hidden Power Urugamosu is employing.
[Team Options]
  • Again, Rapid Spin support. Due to Urugamosu’s offensive nature, recommended partners include Doryuuzu and Starmie.
  • All kinds of entry hazards are appreciated, as most of Urugamosu’s counters tend to be extremely weak to at least one of them.
  • Urugamosu attracts Water-types like no one else, making Grass- and Electric-types awesome partners.
  • Empoleon and Dialga are great partners due to resisting all of Urugamosu’s weaknesses. Both of them can also support it by setting up Stealth Rock.
  • Sun erases Urugamosu’s weakness to Water-type attacks and boosts Fire Blast’s power to obscene levels, making Groudon and Ninetails good partners.
[Optional Changes]
  • Has a respectable physical movepool composed of Flare Blitz and Wild Bolt, but it's hindered by Urugamosu's paltry base 60 Attack.
  • Gets a fair amount of support moves such as Will-O-Wisp, Whirlwind and Morning Sun, but its typing discredits it as a defensive Pokemon.
  • A Choice Specs set can be used with U-turn over Butterfly Dance, but Urugamosu’s weakness to Stealth Rock severely hinders this set’s potential.
  • Hidden Power Electric can be used in order to hit Water-types that resist Bug Buzz.
[Counters]
  • Stealth Rock will constantly keep it at bay.
  • Blissey is never 2HKOed by Fire Blast, even after a Butterfly Dance, and can proceed to status it, making a sweep unlikely.
  • Kyogre can easily defeat Urugamosu with its gargantuan Special Defense and Drizzle.
  • Kerudio and Burungeru resist both of Urugamosu’s STABs, fear nothing but the odd Hidden Power Electric and fight back with their respective Water-type attacks.
  • If it’s carrying Hidden Power Ground: Gyarados, Aakeosu, Rayquaza and Salamence. If carrying Hidden Power Rock: Heatran, Terakion, Tentacruel, Blaziken, Infernape.
  • Pure Water-types that are bulky on the special side such as Vaporeon and Suicune tend to make good counters, but those that rely on special attacks to beat it should watch out for the Special Defense boosts provided by Butterfly Dance.
[Dream World]
  • Swarm isn’t overwhelming, but is easy to abuse due to Urugamosu’s weakness to entry hazards and makes blasting through bulky Water-types an easier task.

Everything looks good, except that you should link to a Pokedex page either on serebii or veekun instead of listing the movepool here. Once you do that, I'll mark this as done.

I am very sad that you got this guy instead of me. ._.

BTW, could you make the following point? I've done the calcs and playing: It's surprising how many noobs don't realize to switch to something else.

-Laughable as it may sound, Max Attack Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill deserves a mention for being the only user of priority (Aqua Jet) that can always OHKO Urgamoth from full health, 100% of the time, without needing rain. If you are worried even remotely about this fact, Burunkeru is a hard counter to it. Additionally, Sun prevents Azumarill from OHKOing without a crit, letting you hit it with Bug Buzz or a super effective Hidden Power.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Should probably mention that Ho-oh completely manhandles moth if it doesn't have HP Rock.

I think this deserves a mention, I've been testing it for some time now.

[SET]
name: Bulky BD Sweeper
move 1: Butterfly Dance
move 2: Fire Blast / Fire Dance
move 3: Bug Buzz
move 4: Hidden Power Ground / Hidden Power Rock
item: Leftovers
ability: Flame Body
nature: Timid/Modest
evs: 4 SpA or Spe/252 HP/252 Def

I've been running Ulgamoth on my team for a few weeks now and I find this set to be FAR more effective (and unexpected) than a standard sweeper spread. The bulk this spread adds makes a huge difference (as in you are almost guaranteed 2 BDs, often 3 or 4, after which the lack of investment in his offenses is pretty much moot). Ulgamoth lives much longer and the decreased damage it takes often catches opponents off guard. This set also solves the Azumarrill problem to an extent. After just 1 BD the damage from most bulky waters' Surfs and Boil Overs is pretty much negated by leftovers, whilst the EVs given more than halve the damage taken from most physical attacks compared to a sweeper spread.

Sorry for bumping this, but I'm anxious to know if anyone has any feedback/suggestions/criticism for the set I recommended. I'm still testing it and I'm having much better luck with it as opposed to a more offensive spread; you may have to keep it waiting in the wings a bit but once it comes out its very capable of clean sweeps.

If you really are going for Bulk, how effective would Morning Sun be on Ulgamoth? It gets a boost from Sun, too.

Personally I run an all-out-offense suicide Lead Ulgamoth and rely on Sash to keep it going, so it's not something I have tried.

If you really are going for Bulk, how effective would Morning Sun be on Ulgamoth? It gets a boost from Sun, too.

Personally I run an all-out-offense suicide Lead Ulgamoth and rely on Sash to keep it going, so it's not something I have tried.
Well you ought to give it a go.

And honestly, Morning Sun doesn't sound like a good idea at all. First of all you'd be losing a lot of coverage by giving up one of your attacks, and all for a move that is dead weight once the weather changes, not to mention its horrible PP and if you're running a bulky set like I do you want lots of PP because you're trying to stay in the game as long as possible.

Anyway, Ulgamoth, while undeniably terrifying in the sun, doesn't really need it to be a threat. And if you are running the sun with a set like mine, its even less of a reason to give up coverage for a crappy healing move, as you need all the super effective hits you can get due to lack of offensive investment, and the sun increases your power whilst getting rid of your weakness to Water (although you'll probably completely forget you're weak to Water after 2 BDs...), and the leftovers recovery on my set I've found to be more than sufficient whilst setting up. So even if you had 5 moveslots... it wouldn't really be necessary, just a little frosting on the cake.

So basically, if you run an offensive set with morning sun, you're just stupid, whereas a defensive set really doesn't need it (and certainly not as much as that third attack) and ultimately is weighted down by it, as after you set up you're left with two attacks that get crappy coverage. Ulgamoth can be a bulky sweeper, but to give it Morning Sun would be to treat it as a wall.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This analysis isn't purely Uber-centric and someone else has already taken an Ulgamoth analysis for OU. Locking for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)