Ultimate Favorite Pokemon Picker!

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi, I'm Corthius aka pablo aka Eure Exzellenz.
If you're somewhat like me than...I'm sorry. Anyway, if there is one thing I can't do, then it is picking one favorite of something. That's especially annoying when I want to contribute for threads that focus around e.g. "How did you favorite pokemon become your favorite". There is of course nothing wrong with those, but for someone like me, it is hard to determine just one, and going on a full monolog about all the mons you like is also not ideal. An improvement is the "Favorite pokemon by each type" thing that is probably as old as pokemon itself too, but that didn't cut it for me either. Today I found a solution that I can mostly live with - It's called Ultimate Favorite Pokemon Picker and allows you to pick your favorite pokemon by type within each generation! (It offers so much more too, you'll see it once you visit the site)
If there is something I like to read more than fleshed out NP thread posts about metagames I enjoy, it is reading about peoples emotions about their favorite pokemon, and why they like them so much; whether it is because of "looks cool bro" or "literally has the most emotional story that puts every drama on netflix in the dumpster". It's like an addiction for me.
Anyway, the website Ultimate Favorite Pokemon Picker allows me to pick A LOT more pokemon to talk about and displays my enormous obsession with dinosaur-like pokemon.

You can find the link here: https://cajunavenger.github.io

As an example of how it could look like, I will present mine and talk about (probably all) the picks I've made:

download(1).png

First things first: I did leave out a lot intentional. For some I just don't feel particular strong about any of the available pokemon. As I said earlier, I am terrible at picking one particular favorite most of the time, and having a whole section of that below is not helping. Also I could NEVER shorten my list of mons to just 6....now lets dive in!

The ones that I like simply because I like how they look (this list is long):
:Houndoom: :Jumpluff: :Celebi: :Tyranitar: :Murkrow: :Ludicolo: :Groudon: :Tropius: :Deoxys-Attack: :Armaldo: :Aggron: :Mawile: :Kirlia: :Medicham-Mega: :Purugly: :Palkia: :Toxicroak: :Skuntank: :Hippowdon: :Giratina-Origin: :Darkrai: :Simisage: :Zekrom: :Scolipede: :Stunfisk: :Sigilyph: :Yamask: :Mandibuzz: :Bisharp: :Delphox: :Clauncher: :Pikachu-PhD: :Amaura: :Chesnaught: :Zygarde: :Yveltal: :Hoopa-Unbound: :Tyrunt: :Sableye-Mega: :Pangoro: :Blaziken-Mega: :Toucannon: :Litten: :Pyukumuku: :Dhelmise: :Golem-Alola: :Crabominable: :Buzzwole: :Muk-Alola: :Mudbray: :Necrozma: :Araquanid: :Blacephalon: :Zygarde-Complete: :Guzzlord: :Obstagoon: :Sizzlipede: :Palkia-Origin: :Sirfetchd: :Overqwil: :Moltres-Galar: :Indeedee-F: :Orbeetle: :Nickit: :Impidimp: :Decidueye-Hisui: :Lechonk: :Iron Moth: :Palafin-Hero: :Capsakid: :Miraidon: :Cetoddle: :Iron Valiant: :Toedscool: :Slither Wing: :Nacli: :Walking Wake: :Brute Bonnet: :Kingambit: :Fidough:

I like all of these for their design, but for different reasons. I can probably sort these into either "badass-looking dinosaur creature", "cute" or "silly/goofy-looking". Some that pretty much fall into the same category are :Exploud: :Noibat: :Obstagoon: :Toxtricity:. They all share the "loud music noise" theme which perfectly represents my taste in music. I love my death metal pokes.
With those out of the way, lets focus on those for who I can provide more than just "I think they look cool" (which is fair enough of a reason though!). I won't be sorting these in any meaningful way, but rather from left to right and top to bottom.

The ones that have more or less reason that I want to express myself about:
:Parasect:
I am the most anti-genwunner someone can be. I have not played pokemon up until generation 4, which is shown in my lack of favorites in generations one and two (I played HGSS, but not the originals.) However, when I was little, my paternal aunt used to visit us, or we'd visit her a lot. Since I was obsessed with pokemon cards, I had a huge collection, off of which I told her to pick her favorite pokemon. It so happened to be Paras (and Parasect) and after I knew that I collected both cards from the same series and gifted it her (It was the best present I could afford as a kid (technically my parents bought the cards)). Ever since those two cards are pinned on the refrigerator in my aunts house, and Parasect has stayed meaningful to me ever since.

:Qwilfish:
Qwilfish has more "recently" grown onto me, due to my involvement in the ZeroUsed community. I have always been a huge fan of metagames which lean to be more hazard centric, and Qwilfish was and still is one of the best hazard setter the tier had to offer. Swords Dance sets have picked up a lot in the more modern SS ZU, and it only adds to my enjoyment. It really is that simple, but I can't look at it and deny my enthusiasm for it and its playstyle.

:Ho-Oh:
Remember when I said I only played HGSS? Yea, to be exact, I bought a HG from Amazon and played that version. Now a little bit of shiny hunting lore of myself, I used to only shiny hunt via masuda method or by resetting your game infront of a overworld legendary (probably the most iconic way to shiny hunt). I have only accomplished that once though (my patience isn't the best.....) and even weirder is that it was Ho-Oh. Now the weird or rather funny and incredibly lucky part is, that it was, and I'm not lying, the first encounter I ever had with a wild Ho-Oh....I didn't even fully decided whether or not I wanted to shiny hunt it or not, but destiny took matters into its own hands and made the decision for me. I was baffeled, crying and so incredibly happy, I couldn't believe what just happened. Ever since that, Ho-Oh, and especially shiny Ho-Oh hold a special place in my heart, as the currently only overworld legendary I got in shiny.

:Kyogre:
Much to the surprise of myself who is usually the fan of big menacing dinosaur pokemon, Kyogre holds more value to me than Groundon. I have, again, not played this generation, and I can't really explain why, but I enjoy a lot of designs from the generation three pokemon, despite them usually not holding up much memorical value. I don't recall which year it was, but I was very young and didn't understand what opportunities open up by connecting your DS to the WI-FI. It was the son of my mothers friend that had introduced myself to the "Konnext Klub" (I can't bother to look up how it's called in english), which was the feature you could use to trade pokemon for online in generation 4. I had never seen something like that and was stunned, I still recall seeing a lot of goofy ones that wanted to trade a Bidoof for a Palkia etc. But there it was, staring at me. The sprite of a Kyogre. For context, I have NEVER seen a Kyogre ingame before, and it so happened that the person wanted to trade their Kyogre for a Dialga. And I was playing Diamond. I was too stunned to even think about the trade, I just...did it. Up to this day, I remember staring at my screen, and being fascinated by Kygore, how majestic, yet menacing it looked.

:Makuhita:(:Heatmor:)
This pokemon is tied tightly to Heatmor (shiny too). They were the first ever pokemon I shiny hunted via masuda method, back in generation 5. Ider which I got first, nor where I got the pokemon from another country, but I was in love with red shinies and fsr, these two were the ones I started to go for. They always say you will never forget your first, and it certainly hold up for these two. It doesn't help, that both of these happened in a time where I wasn't in the best conditions, so they have only grown more to me as they brough a lot of joy compared to the rest of my social life. I still have both of these (same for the Ho-Oh mentioned earlier, which happened just 2-3 years after, where I was in better shape again).

:Dustox:
This is a simple one. I always liked Dustox' design, and when I played Legend Arceus, I happened to encounter a wild shiny Wurmple. Obsessed like I am with shinies, I had to use it, even though my understanding for competitive has improved so much with Sun and Moon, and I knew Dustox isn't what you'd consider a great pick for your team. That's all of the reason really.

:Crawdaunt:
Crawdaunt has been at one point my favorite pokemon. So much so, that I must've encouraged my brother to trade in his class to get me a holo Crawdaunt card. It wasn't a necessary special card by any means, but it holds its value by the sheer emotion I feel whenever I think about it. My brother means everything to me and is by far the most important person in my life, so them doing this without me asking for it just holds a lot of memory and value. Also Crawdaunt still looks badass af.

:Infernape:
I was very addicted to pokemon cards and because my parents where rather wealthy and generous with their kids (bless them to haven for their hustle and dedication towards their kids) I was able to start collecting cards very early on. One day I would come home with a booster pack, not thinking too much, I only recently started getting these in the first place. I ripped it open and saw one of the cards must be a Lv. X, as they were called back in the day. And it was! It was a Lv. X Infernape! I was screaming in the house for my mom to look at it and was jumping in joy. I can't underestimate the value this Infernape card holds to me. Sadly I must've traded it away or lost it idr, but I will probably rebuy it for the sake of it. For anyone wondering, the Infernape card in question is this one.

:Turtwig:
My first ever pokemon and probably favorite starter of all time. It is so cute, round and perfect. I wish I could 100% say this was my first ever pokemon ingame, but I am having trouble to remember whether it was Chimchar or Turtwig (this uncertainty might be worse for Turtwig, but adds to Infernape's value). Regardless, my MAIN playthrough I can actively remember was with Turtwig/Torterra. I have ever since cherished this little tortoise as my favorite starter of all time. Whenever I got the chance, I picked it as my starter, be it for new replays of DPP or BDSP.

:Rotom: :Spiritomb:
Both of these have a very similar, if not identical story. Their way of being obtained in the games was too complicated for my little sponge brain. What annoys me the most about Spiritomb, is that I did have a friend who was playing Pearl and we were having so much fun in the underground, but clearly I either didn't talk to them 20 times or did it on a different save file. Anyway, both have hold a seemingly legendary status for little me, basically the same status that Darkrai, Shaymin and Manaphy had. Nowdays I appreciate their designs in addition to the story they share. (They are also viable in SS ZU, which is a bonus)

:Skorupi:
Ah yes, the safari zone in DPP. The hardest challenge for my little sponge brain at the time. I was very interested in obtaining one of these, and their only habitat was the safari zone. The battle system there was too much for me, I was way overburdened with it and was just randomly running through the divisions of it without much thought. At some point I found these binoculars which, iirc, you also had to pay for, in order to see where a pokemon lives. Skorupi's base flee chance of 47% and rarity in even encountering it didn't do it any favoures either. The difficulty to obtain it and frustration I had doing so gave this pokemon a special place in my memory and its desing is great too. One of the best generation 4 pokemon imo. Also it has a red shiny!

:Cranidos:
Cranidos has been my favorite fossile ever since I saw it in the Oreburgh City arena as Roark's ace. I encountered it when I was in my all-time dinosaur obsession-high. I love it. Its battle cry is one of the cutes I have ever heard and it is just so incredibly cute and perfect. I also dig its old gen shiny so much, the saturated dark red looks so incredibly good, it is a shame they changed how good many of the colors look with the 3d sprites (2d supremacy!!!!). It is just one of these pokemon that I really like for its design and first-sight impact they had on me as a kid.

:Dialga:
First ever game was Diamond, first ever legendary I caught was Dialga. That's it. Well, I do enjoy its dinosaur look (I swear I'm not a dinosaur nerd) and being the ruler of time has to be the most badass thing ever. I always liked the idea of manipulating time and wished I had a Dialga to visit ruins when they were in their prime to see how they looked. It is probably the legendary I have the most memories of using it and its in the top 3 of favorite legendaries of all time. Its typing is also amazing, especially for the gen it came out.

:Volcarona:
when I'm talk about fake legendaries (Rotom, Spiritomb), Volcarona can not be left out. It is more intentionally made to look like a legendary, as you have to maneuver through the quick sand and fairly strong wild pokemon at the bottom of the ruin. I played BW/BW2 more than DPP, and it was still in a time where I didn't really know how to google for information, or didn't care enough, I don't remember. I do remember though, that it took me AGES to capture it. I didn't really have a good strategy back in the day, I think I only put them into red-health range, but my god it took me so many tries. But it is not just the way it's being presented ingame, but also just its appearance. It just looks so good, unless you have a big fear for bugs in general, I can't see how anyone dislike it.
Slither Wing and Iron Moth are a byproduct of my Volcarona obsession - though I actually tend to prefer Slither Wing over regular Volcarona.

:Kyurem:
Another pokemon that has an amazing appearance in a frosty, snowy cave in BW, and an even cooler introduction in BW2. Catching this in BW was even harder than Volcarona and I was actually in fear after encountering it. The music in generation 5 is so iconic to my ears, and the theme of this fight probably played for hours, with me trying to catch it. The idea of a pokemon fusion is cool, and I like that they didn't overdo it by making it a main gimmick, but rather Kyurem's speciality. Kyurem-White and -Black are also really sick, especially their shinies in the 2d sprites (honestly, screw 3d sprites).

:Emboar:
Don't get tricked into thinking I have a shiny Emboar, I just love its shiny form. I already said that I've played BW/BW2 more than DPP, and my go-to starter has been Tepig. I did play with all of them at some point, but I am one of the million people that started their first playthrough with the fire pig named bacon. Emboar is also just so intimidating looking. It is also the only starter that has the new feature, where pokemon of a certain weigh throw up dust when hitting the battle field. I know it gets a lot of hate for being the third Fire/Fighting starter, but I can't say that I truly dislike that, since I have at least two of them in my top15 of pokemon I like. Epic pig.

:Tornadus:
Haha this one is the single most rememberable encounter I ever had in a pokemon game - I played Black, if I would've played White, same story would've happened for Thundurus. You see I wasn't all that great at remembering story lines and such things, especially when I played across multiple days. Anyway, you have the first encounter after that old lady talks to you on Route 7, which is also the first time you get a glance at it, but only its mini-sprite. I was already impressed, generation 5 also had the different weathers on the routes, but I haven't seen anything like the storm that is summoned by Tornadus. After the encounter Tornadus flies off, and is rather quickly forgotten by me. I didn't pay attention to these boards you had in the route buildings, so I never read where the massive storm occurred. In fact, I only found it by random and went into the grass. And then it happened. A short moment of silence, a sharp sound, followed by the battle theme that still brings chills down my spine. And there it was, mencingly, strong and sort of majestic. I was overstimulated by the encounter, so much so that in all of my panic, I used my Master Ball on it. Yes, I catched Reshiram with Ultra Balls, because I "wasted" my Master Ball on Tornadus. I didn't even knew it was one of the wandering pokemon that just flee when you don't catch them. I can remember this encounter like it was yesterday, and due to this, Tornadus is probably my favorite pokemon? I can't decide...But it has to be in the top 3. I also like its design, it's a buffed Lakitu (not really but meh). Love this pokemon.

:Genesect:
This doesn't have a whole lot of a story besides I think it looks cool. It was the first mythical pokemon I ever had. I sadly wasn't able to optain it in a BW playthrough, but just having it was enough for me. It has been my favorite pokemon at one point as well (Yes I used that term very very losely, but hey, thats why I am now happy to make this list). The idea of a modernized fossile is also really unique and cool. Red shiny as well!

:Hydreigon:
I think everyone who has went through the pain of evolving their Zweilous into Hydreigon has this pokemon in a special place in their rankings, either very low because it was frustrating, or very high because of how rewarded you feel after the procedure. For me it is the second. I so happen to like dinosaur-dragon pokemon, and I have always been enjoying the hydra design (I adore King Ghidorah). Dark has been one of my favorite typings for a long time (I was/am so edgy lol) and a Dragon that shares this typing was insane to me. I also like that the english names have the german numbers Ein(s), Zwei and Drei in it.

:Trevenant:
I only like this pokemon because of its amazing shiny. Literally a perfect shiny. There is no room for negative criticism. It is perfect.

:Aggron-Mega:
Aggron has been a pokemon I always liked because of its design (surprising, right?). The introduction of mega evolution was great and added a ton of sick-looking pokemon, among those Mega Aggron. It is a direct upgrade in my eyes, not only competitively. It looks so massive and tanky, exactly the way it is supposed to look. It is easily my favorite mega evolution of them all. I like dinosaurs.

:Floette-Eternal:
It really is simple. I have tears in my eyes everytime I listen to the story behind this pokemon. The idea of losing your "best friend and partner" because you are lost in grudge and spite towards the ones who hurt them, only to become just like them is very unsettling. I can only imagine it feeling similar to finally reuniting with a pet you've had for a long time (obviously that isn't the same, but I emotionally picture it very similar). It is such a sad story with a happy ending. Additonally, it just looks so cool with its unique black and red flower. Very cool pokemon and origin.

:Tapu Bulu:
Bulu is my favorite Tapu. I have always liked cows and cow pokemon. Its design stands out compared to the other ones we already have, and with a unique ability (at least for the time of its release) it was special enough to impress me to the point that I really like it. Idr exactly how you obtained the Tapus, but iirc you had to wander to the end of a desert for this (or a different one) and I struggled a lot trying to find it on my own. All the Tapus are pretty cool though, especially their shinies.

:Thwackey:
PABLO! If there is one pokemon that has grown to me SOLEY because of competitive play, it is Thwackey (Okay, not soley, I have always liked monkey pokemon and it was my favorite starter for generation 8, but the majority of my love for it comes from comp). I wasn't the first Thwackey enthusiast per se when I joined the ZU community, but I surely know I was one of them. The combination of terrain support + you get a prio move in the terrain you set for yourself is just so incredibly unque and fun to use. Competitively I was very sold on Thwackey, so I spammed it whenever I could. It has remained a top force in the metagame, though you see less of the fun set (Choice Band) and more of the less cool, but still very cool set (Evio pivot). It really doesn't have the most outstanding design, and I would generally prefer Grookey because it is so adorable, but I can't deny my competitve "success" and love I have for this.

:Kleavor:
And finishing off the pokemon that I have something to say about, Kleavor is my favorite new hisui introduction. It looks so intimidating, it makes Scizor and Scyther look like plushies (in my eyes). Big AXES as hands????? Idk what GF was smoking but I'm certainly all here for it. I only recently looked more into the hisui pokemon, because I kinda pushed them aside, for w/e reason? I probably don't like pokemon from "side games" or w/e. Anyway, I was stupid and hisui pokemon are incredible!

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
1681986692541.png

Curious results. Still couldn't pick a "favourite of favourites" though.

Idk who finds this interesting, but some things that jumped out at me doing this:

• More legendaries than I expected, shame on me. I tend to think it's kind of lazy/obvious to go straight for the legendaries/mythicals. Guess I'm a basic bitch too.
  • That said, hard to pick a favourite legendary in a lot of cases, though. Like, obviously Suicune. Always liked (shiny) Reshiram and Tapu Lele a lot, and Kalos doesn't have much choice. But for I, III, IV, VIII, and IX? Ehhh.
  • I like a lot of the Gen IV mons a lot less than I would have assumed, very hard picking favourites there
  • Conversely, with Gen V there's often a clear favourite among each type for me.
  • Very few purely Galar species among Gen VIII - there's a big overrepresentation of Hisuian/Galarian forms and cross-gen evolutions
  • A lot of the Gen IX picks were arbitrary as there's a massive amount of designs from that gen I'm not keen on. That was initially the case with others too before they grew on me, so maybe that'll happen eventually with this one
  • It's striking how many of the later-gen species I greatly prefer when they're shiny (Aurorus, Oricorio, Zeraora, Tapu Lele, Runerigus, H-Zoroark, et al) vs species older generations. I suspect because it's far, far easier to get shinies in later generations, I'm more inclined to becoming attached to those straight off - I could have someone trade me a shiny Amaura straight away when I played XY, so no need to bother with a "regular" one. Given that the standard model with cover legends over the last few generations is to shiny-lock them and then make us wait for an event that distributes them as shiny, I tend to find them more appealing - not that keen on Zacian, but I do like that shiny... Ugh, I've just realised that's me confessing that marketing works.
  • Surprisingly few of the Gigantamax and Mega forms appeal to me that much. Mega Kanga has always been a favourite, but moreso in concept than design. Like, I don't think many of the Pokemon that have them lose much by no longer having access to them.

Oooooh I've always wanted to do one of these!
download.png

Pretty sure this adds up to my other favorites list. Same "only fully evolved mons but taking pre evos into account" philosophy that I used there too! Overall, quite the eccentric list!

Also I didn't know missingno was a dark type who knew...

Edit: Well after considering it for a little, I decided to do as the op and add explanations!

:sv/inteleon: :sv/falinks: :bw/rapidash: :bw/mothim: :bw/honchkrow: :bw/porygon-z: :bw/serperior: :bw/jellicent: :bw/crustle: :bw/scrafty: :bw/reuniclus: :sv/skeledirge: :sv/tatsugiri-stretchy: :sv/arboliva: :sv/clodsire: :sv/lokix: :sv/kilowattrel:

I already liked a lot of these design wise, but after using them in game I grew to love them even more! Whether it be getting me out of tight spots (like :arboliva: using walking wake's sun against them to set up growth and then smack them around), pulling off amazing sweeps (like :scrafty: demolishing whole teams with moxie), have minor but impressive feats (:mothim:'s 1v2 vs a magmortar and electivire that he somehow won) or epic climactic battles (:inteleon: finishing off leon's charizard as well as all my paldea team beating something in the true final battle in scarlet).

:bw/pelipper: :bw/lunatone: :bw/kecleon: :bw/volcarona: :bw/floatzel: :bw/galvantula: :sv/arctozolt: :bw/leafeon: :sv/gallade-mega: :sv/beedrill-mega: :bw/masquerain: :sv/vivillon-savanna: :sv/araquanid: :sv/spidops: :sv/gholdengo: :sv/ribombee: :bw/celebi: :sv/flapple: :sv/appletun:

I've enjoyed all of these primarily in competitive for varying reasons. :Masquerain: :ribombee: :galvantula: :araquanid: and :spidops: for being decent to great sticky web setters, :pelipper: for salvaging my first (terrible) competitive team ever (and a ton of other reasons I detailed in other threads), :vivillon-savanna: for somehow keeping up with the boxart legends with the lack of a sleep clause (like fr they literally put everything to sleep), :gallade-mega: and :beedrill-mega: for being nuke megas that also provided VERY useful buffs, :volcarona: and :gholdengo: for being massively destructive after even a single setup turn, :floatzel: for having such a glowup as well as being a very capable rain sweeper, :celebi: for being an RNG god in metronome battles and finally :lunatone: :leafeon: :flapple: :appletun: and :kecleon: for having been fun to use in their respective lower tiers.

All the other ones are either due to just liking their designs or having not much choices to choose from.

Man this was way longer than I thought it'd be...

Also also, shout outs to :whiscash:! Would've totally been here if two of my all time favorites hadn't hijacked them.

Last edited:
1681997889498.png

Restricted myself from duplicates in the main block (types and gens). Had to reshuffle gen 6 a bit as a result, I almost had Lucario-mega as the only remaining Steel.

Doesn't quite collapse to the general list by type found in my signature for one main reason and a few minor ones. Fristly, since it pulls only from the list above, lack of duplicates changes the order around somewhat (for example, I can no longer use Klinklang as the pure Steel rep since the Steel slot is the only location with Skarmory). Choosing between evolutions of the same line and walrein/cloyster/cryogonal is always a toss-up. Finally, because I like Mawile because of my headcanon regarding its mega, it gets used as just the gimmick slot instead of Fairy as well. I might actually need to slot in Valiant and Revavroom, though.

Gen 1:
  • Just to be clear, because the sprite sure isn't, that's 'M (index 0) in the list, not just missingno.. Same spirte/stats/typing/ability to duplicate items, but a cooler internal number and the ability to evolve into Kangaskhan at level 0 and Clefairy at level 128. I considered 'M (index FF) as well, but it didn't have a sprite available.
  • Congratulations to Venusaur for being the only starter I didn't have to rack my brain for. I often mentally associate the role of 'starter' with whatever the ace/early mon of a playthrough is, but because I've been playing an increasing percentage of games with team restrictions, this continues to drift out of the standard mons. If the site let me, I probably would have included the likes of Roserade, Rampardos, Vikavolt, Magnezone, and Gardevoir. (Though if you're going to include legend forms from PMD and XD, I feel that the extra starters from PMD and Colosseum should also be available).
  • Zapdos makes it all the way to general favourite Legendary off of my experience with it in PMD. First legendary I ever obtained, and was the main mon used for all of the postgame I managed to get to as a kid.
  • Ninetales is the first example of me defaulting to a field setter when I have no other opinions.
  • The first 3-4 gens were before I really settled into my current criteria for cuteness, and there are a couple remnants from that period. Here, it's the two NFE fossils. Hey, I never said my previous sensibilities were mainstream either.
  • Justice for Porygon
  • Starmie's a newcomer to the list, based on its performance in the Emerald Frontier
Gen 2:
  • You might think that with PMD being so formative, that it would be the reason for Xatu's inclusion. Nope, it's here for being a key player in my first run of HGSS.
  • Funny stall mons all around
Gen 3:
  • Taillow's here because I enjoy the idea of FEAR with Scrappy.
  • Corphish, Cacnea, and Anorith are here because of my old ideas for cuteness again.
  • With how much stuff there's been since gen 3 around berries and forms, Tropius deserves a serious revisit.
  • There's actual selection for Dragon now, but I've already noticed it's hard to get excited about the type.
  • Aggron and Claydol are the two contenders for 'first chosen mon.' Claydol as a card before I got into the games, aron (and evolutions) from my first PMD playthrough
Gen 4:
  • Here we start transitioning to my love of objectmons, with Bronzor, Drifloon, and Rotom being mons I liked both then and now.
  • I don't think of myself as having been that edgy, my interest in Darkrai leant more into its personality once you got past the whole giving everyone nightmares thing. I maintain that Explorers badly mischaracterizes them
Gen 5:
  • Chargestone Cave has one of the highest densities of mons I like in the entire series.
  • Cobalion did compete with Virizion here. I had actually failed to catch Cobalion my first time through, so Virizion became the first of the set for me. I also had as the legendary substitute for the team I was going to try to PvP with at the time, replacing the nonlegendary Grass-type ...Ferrothorn. Yeah, I didn't know what I was doing yet.
Gen 6:
  • I maintain that Charizard is a special attacker first and foremost.
  • Noibat is at least something I can appreciate compared to most Dragons, even if that's because it bucks having balanced or (for noibat particularly) good stats.
Gen 7:
  • As a starter (of my first playthrough being mono-bug), Vikavolt has managed to be the only mon to unseat a UB. I guess there's Magearna in the legend slot if you count the main trio, but the site doesn't.
  • Every type that can have an inorganic/artificial/UB mon does so. I know what my interests are.
  • Ninetales is once again the default as a weather setter.
Gen 8:
  • I have very little experience with gen 8, so there's an awful lot of default 'uhh...field effect' and even more 'uhh... hazards'
  • Every gen 8 mon I've ever used is here: Eternatus, Copperajah, appletun, Arctozolt, Drednaw, and Dragapult. No, seriously.
Gen 9:
  • Credit must be given to Garganacl and Orthworm for beating out future paradox mons. Garganacl especially for not being metallic on its own. Salt Cure really is just that good.
  • Moth and Leaves didn't have it easy though, as I'd rate their type's Treasures of Ruin pretty highly as well. Not Chien-Pao though, the sword pieces are too small compared to the rest of the mammalian body.
  • Sandy Shocks is notable as the only past Paradox, while also beating both Treads and Ting-Lu for the ground slot (causing the latter to displace the other Treasures in Dark). Questions of reality aside, I really like how something like magneton is at least perceived to be natural enough to have been around prehistorically.
  • Revavroom has met my standards for Steel/Poison. I considered said standards to be pretty high
Misc:
  • Zigzagoon's nostalgia from starting in Emerald, Jolteon's from my playthroughs of PMD and Conquest, and Mimikyu's the only one that isn't using up a valuable Electric typing on just another mammal. Everything else in the selection appears in the grid.
  • I just hit "random" a few times for Spinda.
  • The team was originally made in ORAS, as a compilation of mons that I felt were significant to my growth as a player. It's part of why I chose to lean into Monotype:
    • Aggron, my first game mon and a usual on my various teams
    • Aegislash, first mon to be consiously EV'd
    • Ferrothorn, first defensive moveset
    • Heatran, where I figured out catching technique
    • Excadrill, it took me this long to notice different physical/special attacks
    • Skarmory, first time I consider myself to have actual team synergy
    • I've thought about adding Celesteela as a main mon for when I was getting into Showdown, but haven't ever figured out what to replace.

JonAmon 25

Letting the days go by, water flowing underground
is a Pre-Contributor
This is split into 2 images cuz I did it on mobile a month ago and am too lazy to redo it. I have a few different opinions (like Guzzlord as gen 7 dark or Klinklang not being my favorite Steel) but for the most part it’s probably fine.
F273DF8D-4EDD-459E-8CB0-C426FD8039B7.jpeg
4CB295CD-F016-4DD2-97B4-AEF7BC437613.jpeg

plznostep

Flittle Fanatic
is a Community Contributor
download.png

I'm not sure how popular my opinions are but here ya go :3

✨:sv/flittle:
955.png
:sv/flittle:✨
I love Flittle so much, and it is currently my favorite Pokemon ever. There is just something that speaks to me on another level when i see Flittle and its amazing. I need more of this Pokemon in the future.

:combee: :sv/yanma:
250px-0193Yanma.png
:sv/yanma: :combee:
Yanma is also a Pokemon dear to my heart, as I absolutely love its design so much. It's just a lil dragonfly and its amazing, I love it.
(also i got reqs for kingler suspect test using Yanma which was incredibly fun)

❄:sv/delibird:
250px-0225Delibird.png
:sv/delibird:❄
⠀⠀Delibird is another cute mon, I love birds so much and Delibird just hits for me. I love it.

Last edited:

Mex

The last ace in a lost hand
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Screenshot 2023-02-28 22.10.46.png

usual stuff like tried to not repeat within gens, at least for type. I like quick ball and nobody can convince me otherwise. Iron Valiant is a mon i like way more than i expected.

Made this a couple months ago, i dont think my opinion has changed much, if at all

Gen 5 was surprisingly hard for me to choose, i just dont care a ton for a lot of its new mons all things considered.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Didn’t choose a team, didn’t choose Megas/Gigantamax unless prompted/no other options. Stuck to fully evolved mons in general, some exceptions were made - mainly Pokemon that received later gen evos. Didn’t care about repeat mons. Fun exercise!

4151BFA1-731C-4B73-AEA0-6DE7904CF7CC.png

Am a little sad I think every Gen except Gen 1 is represented under type favourites. Though 6 doesn’t really count with just the Mega.

This took a while, because I decided I wanted to put regional forms in with the generation their base form was introduced, so I had to fill in the text-based overrule mode. :P This gave more options in some places (e.g., steel, dark, and fairy in gen 1), but left a couple of spots with limited options (e.g., only gen 7 ice option becomes Crabominable, which does not make the list).

In general I tried to avoid megas outside of the gimmick slots unless I really didn't like the other options. I also only counted megas/primals/ultra/gigantamax for gimmicks, not regionals or fake regionals.

Here or there I opted to avoid duplicates to add in more mons, but in many cases I like the mons so much I am happy to have them in the grid many times over.

Once DLC comes out, Terapagos will surely make the list somewhere.

Obvious takeaways:
  • Dominated by ghost types. Despite ghost being my favorite type, there are lots of slots in the overall favorites that go to mons of other types
  • A fair number of Mythicals and Lgendaries. I don't mind picking lots of legendaries, because they are generally pretty well designed.
  • Some eclectic picks here or there.
FAVORITESGRID_2023.png

# Don't like my choices? You can overrule them here!

# Write Code will put a text version of the grid here,

# Then you can edit the names and Import Code to replace the images.

# Most Pokemon are just their named capitalized, like SWELLOW.

# Alternate forms have specific tags, like MEOWTH_2 for Galarian Meowth.

# You can also use this to keep backups

,MARSHADOW_1,FLUTTERMANE,DRAGAPULT,ZOROARK_1,AEGISLASH,GENGAR,CORVIKNIGHT,RATICATE_1,SCOLIPEDE,DRAGAPULT,MIMIKYU,SYLVEON,KABUTOPS,ZOROARK_1,BLASTOISE_2,LUNALA,MARSHADOW_1,NAGANADEL,FLUTTERMANE,Ghost,BeastBall,SPINDA,VIVILLON_3,ALCREMIE_56,,,,,,,,,,

,RATICATE_1,CHARIZARD,BLASTOISE,BULBASAUR,ZAPDOS,NINETALES_1,ZAPDOS_1,GENGAR,NIDOKING,AERODACTYL,MEWTWO,VENOMOTH,KABUTOPS,GENGAR,DRAGONITE,RATICATE_1,SANDSLASH_1,NINETALES_1,BLASTOISE,BLASTOISE_2,MEWTWO,MEWTWO,

,DUNSPARCE,HOOH,MANTINE,MEGANIUM,AMPHAROS,SNEASEL,HERACROSS,CROBAT,DONPHAN,XATU,XATU,SCIZOR,TYRANITAR,MISDREAVUS,KINGDRA,UMBREON,SCIZOR,GRANBULL,MEGANIUM,SCIZOR_1,HOOH,MISDREAVUS,

,ZIGZAGOON_1,BLAZIKEN,KYOGRE,CACTURNE,MANECTRIC_1,WALREIN,BLAZIKEN,SEVIPER,FLYGON,RAYQUAZA_1,METAGROSS,ARMALDO,SOLROCK,BANETTE,FLYGON,CACTURNE,METAGROSS,MAWILE,BLAZIKEN,KYOGRE_1,KYOGRE_1,FLYGON,

,ARCEUS,HEATRAN,GASTRODON_1,TORTERRA,ROTOM,WEAVILE,LUCARIO,DRAPION,GARCHOMP,DRIFBLIM,GALLADE,VESPIQUEN,RAMPARDOS,GIRATINA,GIRATINA_1,DARKRAI,LUCARIO,TOGEKISS,TORTERRA,GALLADE_1,DARKRAI,DARKRAI,

,ZORUA_1,CHANDELURE,CARRACOSTA,FERROTHORN,GALVANTULA,DARMANITAN_3,SCRAGGY,SCOLIPEDE,GOLETT,SIGILYPH,REUNICLUS,VOLCARONA,GIGALITH,ZOROARK_1,HYDREIGON,ZOROARK,GENESECT,WHIMSICOTT,OSHAWOTT,GARBODOR_1,GENESECT,ZOROARK_1,

,HELIOLISK,CHARIZARD_1,GRENINJA,TREVENANT,HELIOLISK,AURORUS,HAWLUCHA,DRAGALGE,ZYGARDE,NOIVERN,MEWTWO_2,SPEWPA,TYRANTRUM,AEGISLASH,TYRANTRUM,GRENINJA,AEGISLASH,KLEFKI,GRENINJA,DIANCIE_1,XERNEAS,AEGISLASH,

,TOUCANNON,BLACEPHALON,WISHIWASHI_1,DECIDUEYE,ZERAORA,,MARSHADOW,NAGANADEL,PALOSSAND,MINIOR,LUNALA,BUZZWOLE,LYCANROC_2,MARSHADOW_1,NECROZMA_3,GUZZLORD,NECROZMA_1,MIMIKYU,DECIDUEYE,NECROZMA_3,MARSHADOW_1,MARSHADOW_1,

,WOOLOO,CENTISKORCH,BASCULEGION,RILLABOOM,DRACOZOLT,ARCTOZOLT,GRAPPLOCT,TOXTRICITY,RUNERIGUS,CORVIKNIGHT,HATTERENE,FROSMOTH,DREDNAW_1,DRAGAPULT,DRAGAPULT,GRIMMSNARL,CORVIKNIGHT,ENAMORUS_1,SOBBLE,TOXTRICITY_2,CALYREX_2,DRAGAPULT,

,FARIGIRAF,CERULEDGE,PALAFIN_1,WOCHIEN,IRONTHORNS,IRONBUNDLE,KORAIDON,IRONMOTH,GREATTUSK,IRONJUGULIS,ARMAROUGE,SLITHERWING,GLIMMORA,FLUTTERMANE,MIRAIDON,CHIYU,GHOLDENGO,FLUTTERMANE,MEOWSCARADA,,KORAIDON,FLUTTERMANE,

,ZORUA_1,CERULEDGE,BLASTOISE,DECIDUEYE,IRONTHORNS,IRONBUNDLE,MARSHADOW,GENGAR,FLYGON,CORVIKNIGHT,MEWTWO,VOLCARONA,TYRANTRUM,MARSHADOW_1,DRAGAPULT,DARKRAI,AEGISLASH,FLUTTERMANE,BLASTOISE,BLASTOISE_2,MARSHADOW_1,MARSHADOW_1,

spindaspots,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,

Attachments

Doing this is always very fun... and very hard, since there are so many Pokémon I like. But I definitely prefer doing it this way of instead of through the Dragonflycave version.

Notes:
I tried to avoid duplicates just to make it harder (and so I could feature more Pokémon), I think I succeeded but I was too tired to check one final time.
I avoided specific forms outside of the "Gimmick Form" field. This made it pretty difficult for Gen 6 since it has so few regular Pokémon.
I'm not really sure if Venusaur is my favorite Kanto starter anymore. I have been thinking about it lately and perhaps I actually like Blastoise better. Not sure though.
I have a very strong bias to the newer generations (as you can see on my overall favorites) while the early generations (Gen 1 in particular) has very many Pokémon I just don't care much for.
Never realized this before, but Unova doesn't have a lot of Poison-types.
The team I chose in the end are six of my top favorites from the latest generations.
Didn't include shinies since I couldn't bother (and I don't care much for shinies in general).
The Spinda pattern is an easter egg that someone should be able to figure out if you give it a try.

Did this twice: once with repeats and once without repeats and the two turned out way, way different. Turns out you have to think much harder when you can't simply pick Marshadow and Moltres-Galar for 6 boxes each. Ultimately think the second is more accurate.

Screen Shot 2023-04-21 at 2.19.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-21 at 3.39.16 PM.png

Lots of Dark/Ghost/Psychic among my favorites. Selection is ultimately pretty varied with a good mix of fan favorites (though I wonder how much perception swerved me away from Lucario which I actually do like all things considered). Recurring trends seem to be a really strong like of wraith--like though not necessarily edgy designs (Marshadow, Goltres, H-Zoroark, Darkrai) and more svelte looks (Suicune, A-Ninetales, Milotic, Absol, H-Zoroark again, Tapu Fini). Most difficult boxes for me were by far Gen 2 Dark, Gen 8 Dark, Gen 3 Dragon, and Gen 3 Legend. with the vast majority of my favorite designs coming from Gens 1, 2, 3, and 9. Team isn't necessarily my favorite 6 but the mons I think I'd go for if I were a trainer.

Having neither Kyogre nor Groudon on my grid feels criminal but tried to make up for it by getting Groudon in despite Rayquaza just inching out the other 2 covers. Where I couldn't get in an absolute favorite I tried to get it represented by having another form/evolutionary line member in for it elsewhere e.g Sneasel/Weavile, Gligar/Gliscor. Only absolute favorite I couldn't get in was Honchkrow.

Interesting note is that a disproportionate amount of my favorites are only found in in-game desert regions: Flygon, Darmanitan, Krookodile, Scrafty, Volcarona, and then others that just didn't quite make the cut like Baltoy and Cacturne.

Last edited:

Corthius

diehard hockey fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
UPDATED: ULTIMATE FAVORITE POKEMON PICKER FROM ME
download.png

Not gonna lie, I felt like a complete clown that no one else was really into just doing the ones they really call their favorites. In order to redeem myself, I made a FULL list, not including the gimick forms because I can. There were actually quite some changes I did that I am happy about for now.

90% of the two low rows is changing on a daily basis, especially the Team. Enjoy this update!

von seraphina.png

EDIT: There was an update that allows you to add your favorite baby pokemon!! I also switched up some pokemon because I can, and I will never be 100% satisfied with my answers anyway.
download.png

download.png

Last edited:
ooh fun. Here I go
5897270A-D17F-4286-80C2-779AC63EEC7E.jpeg

The biggest surprise I think was that my favorite is Breloom. Mega Mawile showed up a whole lot, as did Garchomp. I also hadn’t considered Mega Lucario to be as high as it is. Anyways, here’s my list:
#5) :bw/Milotic:
#4) :bw/volcarona:
#3) :bw/Weavile:
#2) :bw/skarmory:
#1) :bw/breloom:
It goes on from here.

download(4).png
Okay, not really "torture" per se; most of these were actually pretty easy choices. It was deciding which six to put on my team that nearly drove me berserk. I knew I wanted my two definitive favorites (Volcarona and Alolan Ninetales), but narrowing down the other four was a real headache. Besides the ones I settled on, I also considered Hisuian Samurott and Zoroark, Morpeko, Meowscarada, Sharpedo, Eelektross, Kabutops, Skarmory, Garchomp, Dragapult, Hawlucha, Palafin, Starmie, Grumpig, and Sneasler - and even considered swapping Volc out for Iron Moth. But despite that, Umbreon has been a favorite of mine for so long now, and Lumineon has grown on me so much in 3 years (for reasons I've mentioned elsewhere in this forum), that I simply couldn't pass up either. As for Ursaluna and Miraidon, both played key roles in my playthroughs of my two favorite Pokemon games to come out since Gen 5 - the former wrecked almost everything it battled in Legends Arceus and has the cutest happy dance you'll ever see for something its size when it finds an item, and the latter became impossible for me not to bond with after the Path of Legends and Way Home story arcs - not to mention how utterly asinine it is in battle as well (although that's not exactly surprising since it's a mascot legend).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)