TV & Films Recommendations

PacificMarill

vibing marill-y
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff

TV: Avatar: The Last Airbender
Genre: Animation, Action, Adventure, Family, Fantasy, Mystery,
IMDb Synopsis: In a war-torn world of elemental magic, a young boy reawakens to undertake a dangerous mystic quest to fulfill his destiny as the Avatar, and bring peace to the world.
Marill's Mind: With the Netflix series having it's round, I felt like I HAD to mention the GOAT. I imagine a lot of people have seen ATLA, but for any of those that haven't, or weren't impressed by the Netflix series, PLEASE watch it. The animated series does a lot of things that for me personally make it feel more special, nostalgia aside. The voice acting is good, it doesn't have weird CGI, and the characters feel much more fleshed out. Give ATLA a chance with the animated series if the Netflix series wasn't your cup of tea. Or if you enjoy the Netflix series, I imagine you'll get a lot out of this show too. I'll always enjoy rewatching this show.

THIS WAS FUCKING AMAZING, AN UNIQUE EXPERIENCE IN THE CINEMAS. THANKS VILLENEUVE, THANKS TIMOTHEE CHALAMET.
Film: Dune: Part Two (2024)
Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: Paul Atreides unites with Chani and the Fremen while seeking revenge against the conspirators who destroyed his family.

Movie: Away From Her (2006)
Genre: Drama/Rom
IMDb Synopsis: A man coping with the institutionalization of his wife because of Alzheimer's disease faces an epiphany when she transfers her affections to another man, Aubrey, a wheelchair-bound mute who also is a patient at the nursing home.
AAAABf1RvmHKug_IJhxT4Gkg-9HYYkYJBHJKsiV72iyD1N50h9XBZW2sCQ3bd37OsSrLmuxA5-1Z2idsNFXv5il29QSu_-...jpg

FILM: Wreck-It Ralph
GENRE: Animation, Video Games
SYNOPSIS: Within the world of an arcade's games, a disgruntled video game "bad guy" leaves his game to try and become a hero. Eventually ending up in a racing game called Sugar Rush, He befriends racer Vanellope Von Schweetz and decides to help her overthrow her game's "ruler" and regain her place within it.
vanellope.png

TV Series: Counterpart
Genre: Drama/Scifi/Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A hapless UN employee discovers that the agency he works for is hiding a gateway to a parallel dimension that's in a cold war with our own, and where his other self is a top spy. The war slowly heats up thanks to spies from both sides.
1_BRjvkH4JRKzu2XvXRPluuA.jpg

Film: Submarine (2010)
Genre: coming of age/drama/comedy
IMDB synopsis: 15-year-old Oliver Tate has two objectives: to lose his virginity before his next birthday, and to extinguish the flame between his mother and an ex-lover who has resurfaced in her life.

"I suppose it won't matter when I'm 38, but I'm still upset about it" -Oliver Tate
MV5BMTQ5ODMxNTIyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjQ1ODgyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
is a Social Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of March 17th to March 23rd

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
The Disappearance of Alice Creed (2009)
Genre: Crime, Thriller
IMDb Synopsis: A rich man's daughter is held captive in an abandoned apartment by two former convicts who abducted her and hold her ransom in exchange for her father's money.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Burn After Reading
Genre: Comedy, Crime, Drama
Description: A pair of dim-witted gym employees happen upon a disc containing secrets written by a spiteful, former CIA agent and attempt to leverage it against him for monetary gain, though they quickly find that they may have bitten off more than they can chew.

Another film by my favourite director(s) that's been on my watchlist for ages. I'm quickly catching up on their body of work, so I find myself savouring what little I've yet to see from their back catalog.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969)
Genre: Drama
IMDb Synopsis: An eccentric Scottish schoolteacher's extravagantly romantic ideas about life--and love--overly impress her young pupils and bring her into conflict with her school's conservative headmistress.

%Opple
Film:
St. Trinian's (2007)
Genre: Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: In order to save their bankrupt school, a group of troublesome girls stage a robbery with a group of geniuses on their backs.

%Zipzapadam
Film:
The Wind Rises
Genre: (Semi) Biography, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: Jiro Horikoshi studies assiduously to fulfill his aim of becoming an aeronautical engineer. As WWII begins, fighter aircraft designed by him end up getting used by the Japanese Empire against its foes.

+PYRO
Film:
Wicked Little Letters (2023)
Genre: Comedy, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: When people in Littlehampton--including conservative local Edith--begin to receive letters full of hilarious profanities, rowdy Irish migrant Rose is charged with the crime. Suspecting that something is amiss, the town's women investigate.

+Queen of Narnia
Film:
Run Rabbit Run
Genre: Drama, Horror, Thriller, Mystery
IMDb Synopsis: As a fertility doctor, Sarah has a firm understanding of the cycle of life. However, when she is forced to make sense of the increasingly strange behavior of her young daughter, Sarah must challenge her own beliefs and confront a ghost from her past.

Alyvia's Note: An Australian film starring Sarah Snook who appears in the TV series "Succession".

(Available on Max)
TIMOTHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Film: Wonka (2023)
Genre: Comedy, Adventure
IMDb Synopsis: With dreams of opening a shop in a city renowned for its chocolate, a young and poor Willy Wonka discovers that the industry is run by a cartel of greedy chocolatiers.

Movie: Inception
Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
IMDb Synopsis: A thief who steals corporate secrets through the use of dream-sharing technology is given the inverse task of planting an idea into the mind of a C.E.O., but his tragic past may doom the project and his team to disaster.
Pokemon Showdown! username: RsBro1001
Inception.jpg

PacificMarill

vibing marill-y

Godfather of Harlem

TV: Godfather of Harlem
Genre: Crime, Drama
IMDb Synopsis: The "true story" of infamous crime boss Bumpy Johnson, who in the early 1960s returned from ten years in prison to find the neighborhood he once ruled in shambles. With the streets controlled by the Italian mob, Bumpy must take on the Genovese crime family to regain control.
Marill's Mind: This show has so many great actors. Forest Whitaker is one of my all time favorites, and he does a phenomenal job. I'm a big crime show fan, and Godfather of Harlem really highlights the struggle of trying to balance a family with a life of crime. This show was a solid 9/10 for me.

1711274324225.png

TV: Young Royals
Genre: Drama, Romance
Synopsis: In its recently-released final season, Wilhelm can no longer escape from the fork in the road and must decide between the crown or the love of his life.

a/n: re-rec cuz the finale broke me frfr. stream the documentary afterwards!! (don't spoil me, im procrastinating on it </3)

SHOW: Dora The Explorer
GENRE: Children's, Educational, Animation
SYNOPSIS: Join Dora and her friend Boots the monkey as they travel about the jungle, help out various other friends, and avoid the always-persistent Swiper the Fox.
Dora the Explorer.jpg

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of March 24th to March 30th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
Thelma (2017)
Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Horror
IMDb Synopsis: A confused religious girl tries to deny her feelings for a female friend who's in love with her. This causes her suppressed subconsciously-controlled psychokinetic powers to reemerge with devastating results.

#Soft Flex
Film:
Nope
Genre: Horror, Mystery, Sci-Fi
Description: My favourite Jordan Peele film to date. If you already know the gist of the synopsis but haven't seen it, do so before anything gets spoiled for you! If you know nothing about it, I absolutely recommend going in as blind as possible. It has a simple but unique concept with an even simpler, yet excellent twist/reveal that I love.

%Zipzapadam
Film:
Anatomy of a Fall
IMDb Synopsis: A woman is suspected of murder after her husband's death; their half-blind son faces a moral dilemma as the main witness.

Television

%Queen of Narnia
Show:
Teachers (2016)
Genre: Comedy, Sitcom
IMDb Synopsis: Teachers show their hilariously warped perspective as six elementary school educators try to mold young minds although their own lives aren't really together.

Queen of Narnia's notes: Not to be confused with the 2001 British series with the same name (They are not related in any way). BE WARNED - The language the teachers talk is not appropriate for all ages!!! Otherwise, it's a pretty hilarious show.

DianaNicole
Show:
Parks and Recreation
IMDb Synopsis: The absurd antics of an Indiana town's public officials as they pursue sundry projects to make their city a better place.

Personal Notes: One of my favorite comfort shows that’s come out post the Office. Has some very witty moments and characters that work well together in a way that I find very relaxing especially in later seasons.

Last edited:

(Available on Netflix)
OMG THIS MOVIE. O, M, G. I CRIED NOT BECAUSE WAS SAD THO, BUT WAS SO FUCKING BEAUTIFUL.
Film: Marriage Story (2019)
Genre: Drama, Drama, Drama, Drama, and Romance.
Description: Noah Baumbach's incisive and compassionate look at a marriage breaking up and a family staying together.

PacificMarill

vibing marill-y

Power

TV: Power
IMDb Synopsis: "Power" is a visionary drama that straddles the glamorous Manhattan lifestyles of the rich and famous and the underworld of the international drug trade. The cast is led by Omari Hardwick as James "Ghost" St. Patrick, a man trying to escape his role as a drug kingpin for a legitimized life in the elite of NYC; Joseph Sikora as his brother in arms in the drug business, Tommy Egan; Naturi Naughton plays Ghost's fierce wife Tasha St. Patrick; and Lela Loren is his first love, Assistant U.S. Attorney Angela Valdes.
Marill's Mind: Huge fan of Power. I am a Crime TV addict as always... This show definitely highlights the duality of a public versus private facing image to save face, specifically in organized crime. Also, 50 Cent goes hard, what more needs to be said?!

1711587504940.png

Documentary: Young Royals Forever
Genre: Documentary
Synopsis: From casting to the final scene, this special shows how the cast and crew of “Young Royals” brought Wilhelm and Simon’s heartwarming journey to life.

FILM: Tremors
GENRE: Sci-Fi, Western, Monster, Comedy
SYNOPSIS: The desert town of Perfection, Nevada finds itself under attack by giant subterranean worms (Graboids) that hunt by sound and deploy snake-like tentacles to drag people under the ground to be eaten. Two handymen (Val and Earl) and a survivalist (Burt Gummer) and his wife take up arms to fight these monsters and save their town.
burt gummer.jpg

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of March 30th to April 6th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
TerrorVision (1986)
Genre: Comedy, Horror, Sci-Fi
IMDb Synopsis: "TerrorVision" is a 1986 horror / science fiction movie; telling the tale of when a family's new satellite television system starts receiving signals from another planet, and soon it becomes the passageway to an alien world.

#Soft Flex
Film:
The Cider House Rules
Genre: Drama, Romance
Description: A young man taken under the wing of an orphanage doctor/caretaker decides to uproot his humble existence and venture out to experience a small slice of the real world for the first time, both the good and the bad. Though it has its dark moments, it is absolutely a feel-good movie at its core. The acting is excellent from everyone on the cast, which is quite stacked even for back in 1999. Most of its stars went on to bolster their careers even further.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
A Little Romance (1979)
Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Romance
IMDb Synopsis: A French boy and an American girl, who go to school in Paris, meet and begin a little romance. They befriend Julius, who enchants them with his storytelling. In an attempt to ensure the teens' love forever, the three journey to Venice.

%Zipzapadam
Film:
The Holdovers
IMDb Synopsis: A cranky history teacher at a prep school is forced to remain on campus over the holidays with a grieving cook and a troubled student who has no place to go.

+PYRO
Film:
Scarface (1983)
IMDb Synopsis: In 1980 Miami, a determined Cuban immigrant takes over a drug cartel and succumbs to greed.

Television

%Opple
Show:
Mandy (2019-Present)
IMDb Synopsis: Mandy is a hapless, jobless heroine whose daft adventures mostly end in disaster. She's got Big Dreams, but can she actually be bothered?

Opple comment: This show is just plain stupid. It comments hilariously on the British psyche in episodes no longer than 15 minutes. 100% worth the watch.

%Queen of Narnia
Show:
Mr. D
Genre: Comedy, Sitcom
IMDb Synopsis: Based on Gerry Dee's real-life experiences as a high school teacher before he switched to comedy full-time, Mr. D is a story about a charming, under-qualified teacher trying to fake his way through a teaching job, just like he often fakes his way through life. The premise shines the light on teaching from the teacher's point of view, and as it turns out, teachers don't know everything, especially Mr. D who struggles to keep one step ahead of his students.

+sluffy
Show:
Maid (2021)
Genre: Drama
IMDb Synopsis: After fleeing an abusive relationship, a young mother finds a job cleaning houses as she fights to provide for her child and build them a better future.

Last edited:

Past Lives but made by spanish people and animated and without dialogues. Ye pretty authentic.
I dont know where is this available tbh
Film: Robot Dreams (2023)
Genre: Animation, Drama, Romance
Letterboxd Synopsis: Dog lives in Manhattan and he’s tired of being alone. One day he decides to build himself a robot, a companion. Their friendship blossoms, until they become inseparable, to the rhythm of 80’s NYC. One summer night, Dog, with great sadness, is forced to abandon Robot at the beach. Will they ever meet again?

PacificMarill

vibing marill-y

Elysium

Movie: Elysium
Genre: Action, Drama, Sci-Fi, Thriller, Dystopia
IMDb Synopsis: In the year 2154, two classes of people exist: the very wealthy, who live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, and the rest, who live on an overpopulated, ruined Earth. Secretary Delacourt, a government official, will stop at nothing to enforce anti-immigration laws and preserve the luxurious lifestyle of the citizens of Elysium. That doesn't stop the people of Earth from trying to get in by any means they can. When unlucky Max is backed into a corner, he agrees to take on a daunting mission that, if successful, will not only save his life but could bring equality to these polarized worlds.
Marill's Mind: This movie hits me hard. Without giving too much away, I really feel for Max and what he wants to achieve by the end of the movie.

1712480077142.png

Film: Lisa Frankenstein (2024)
Genre(s): Comedy, Horror, Romance
Synopsis: The only person Lisa Swallows could truly talk to is a man who died over a hundred years ago. But after one fateful night, he gets resurrected and the two embark on a journey to find love and happiness.

SHOW: Phineas and Ferb
GENRE: Cartoon, Spy, Adventure, Sci-Fi, Romance, Action
SYNOPSIS: Two brothers partake in all manner of crazy escapades during summer break while their big sister constantly tries to show their mother what they are up to (when she isn't chasing after her boyfriend), and their pet Platypus leads a double life as a super-spy tasked with thwarting the evil Dr. Heinz Doofenschmirtz (pictured) and his arsenal of "-inator" inventions.
dooflamingo.jpg

Toshinden

/me flexes softly
TV & Films Recommendations for the week of April 7th to April 13th

Movies

#Saburo
Film:
The Firemen's Ball (1967)
IMDb Synopsis: A volunteer fire department throws a party for their former boss with the whole town invited, but nothing goes as planned.

@ The Benz Mafia
Film:
My Favorite Year (1982)
IMDb Synopsis: An aging, dissolute matinee idol is slated to appear on a live TV variety show in 1954, and a young comedy writer is tasked with the thankless job of keeping him ready and sober for the broadcast.

Television

#Soft Flex
Show:
Blue Eye Samurai
Genre: Animation, Action, Adventure
Description: A half-white, half-Japanese warrior sets out on a quest for revenge against a group of white men illegally settled in Japan during the 17th century, one of which is presumed to be the father.

A very stylish, very well-animated new series that showcases a lot of Japanese culture as it progresses through its well-thought-out revenge plot and adventure. The entire voice cast (of which there are many notable names that I didn't realize were involved until I had completed the season) brings their A-game and I am more than ready for a season 2!

%Queen of Narnia
Show:
Criminal Minds
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery, Thriller, Police Procedural
IMDb Synopsis: A group of criminal profilers who work for the FBI as members of its Behavioral Analysis Unit (BAU) using behavioral analysis and profiling to help investigate crimes and find the suspect known as the unsub.

Queen of Narnia's Notes: One of my favourite TV series of all time and definitely not me rewatching all 320+ episodes at least 3 times now (I kinda lost track on how many rewatches I did).

%Zipzapadam
Show:
Abbott Elementary
Genre: Comedy, Mockumentary, Sitcom
IMDb Synopsis: Follows a group of teachers brought together in one of the worst public schools in the country, simply because they love teaching.

+PYRO
Show:
Bluey
Genre: Family, Animation, Comedy
IMDb Synopsis: The slice-of-life adventures of an Australian Blue Heeler Cattle Dog puppy as she has fun with her family and friends in everyday situations.

Bluey kicks ass and I will not hear a word to the contrary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)