Trick Rain Storm

Thats right its a Trick room team with a side order of Rain dance. I came up with this Trick room, that has a few other pokemon that do well in the rain and in trick room at the same time. After some looks in my trade I have made some changes in red. Now lets get down to business.

Team Building
When building this team, I wanted to make a team that was capable of abusing rain, while also being labeled as a Trick Room Rain team.

And obviously, every rain team needs Politoed

The toad was my starting point, but before even starting to construct this team, there were 2 pokemon I wanted to use no matter what.

I've always used Slowking on rain teams b/c it's STAB Surf in the Rain is a beast which is a great thing. When its new ability came out Crawdaunt would shine on the team and because the CB makes him more of a beast. Not to mention that Crawdaunt has near perfect coverage only missing Toxicroak, and Heracross.

The next guy is a pokemon I saw on other rain dance teams, and how he inflicts damage to other teams is so amazing, I wanted to try him.

I've been wanting to try for some time b/c of its low speed and new abilities and move, Hurricane, that would do great on Trick Room and Rain, not to mention he is a great wallbreaker. Kindgra could only dream of, with two 100% accuracy that does hell to teams in the rain Dragonite is a beast.

Now people who use Trick Room know you can't win a match with only one Trick Roomer, I decided I needed a good wall, that could sponge a lot of attacks and laugh at them. This is how I came up with Bronzong.

With no weaknesses at all in the Rain, and with stellar defenses I love using Bronzong on any team I have, its annoyer.

With Scizor running around in the OU, and in the rain this can cause my team a lot of problems but luckly, I found this guy that resist Scizor STAB moves and his does great outside of Trick Room

Toxicroak is great, and with Sucker Punch being deadly to many opponents, and Scizor being no longer a problem and with Dry Skin in the Rain, its looking good for him.

The Lead

Politoed @ Choice specs
Quiet Nature
Evs: 252 Speed, 126 Sp Atk, 126 HP
0 Speed Ivs
Scald
Hydro Pump
Hypnosis
Ice beam

I chose Politoed as my lead for infinite rain, but I have notice other leads can be a problem with the other Leads. To somewhat solve this problem, to ensure long lasting Rain just incase I run into Ninetails and Tyraintar and Hippodowon. Its not the best lead but its the only Infintie Rain summoner besides Kygore, so I still more help on Politoed. Just wish it had Magic Coat. i gave him 0 speed ivs to outrun any other weater starters I might run into, and it works under Trick Room.

The Pokemon with NO WEAKNESS ( In the Rain)

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
Evs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Trick Room
Stealth rock
Hypnoise
Gyro Ball

The Wall Pokemon, its job is to set up the rocks, Trick Room, and hypnoise to force a switch out. With heavy investment in SDef, it will not be 3HKOed by Hurricane coming from Specs Tornadus. And this thinks walls a lot of pokemon with no weaknesses.

The Rain Abuser

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Brave Nature
Adaptability
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def
Waterfall
Crunch
Superpower
Return

This generation has been great for Crawdaunt, with Adaptability this thing can probably OHKO a lot of pokemon or come close to 2HKO pokemon. With Dark/Fighting combo this thing gets near coverage and back with Choice Band this Lobster is a beast. Waterfall is a deadly STAB move with Adaptability, and Choice Band and in the Rain, there is nothing else to say about Crawdaunt.

The Second Trick Roomer

Slowking (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp Atk. 6 def
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Surf
- Psyshock

Slowking is my favorite Pokemon in the whole game and it works well in the Rain. But people have been degrading him, but they forget with a STAB Surf and in the Rain and don't say I don't get a NAsty Plot up that means sweeping. With Regenerator, Slowking is usually the one I use to setup TR multiple times and switch out. As such he is usually my last poke standing. i chose Psyshock for dealing with special walls that tank Surf. ANd Surf is his main STAB and in the Rain it will do a ton of damage.

The Best Sweeper in the Rain

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
Multiscale
Evs: 4 Hp, 252 Atk 252 sp atk
Hurricane
Thunder
Outrage
Aqua Tail

This set circles around Dragonite"s STAB moves and moves that have 100% accuracy in the Rain, that does massive damage to teams. Not only that it hits pokemon from special to physical. Outrage is to hit those Blisseys and Chanseys. Aqua Tail is to get a Rain boost. I did change it to a MixNite for more KOs and from some good advice Pocket. He also serves as my wall-breaker.

The Bulky Sweeper

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
Dry Skin
Evs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def
Swords Dance
Substitute
Ice Punch
Sucker Punch

Toxicroak has great typing, the Fighting/Poison combination give it a bunch of useful resistances including Rock, Fighting, Dark, Bug, Poison, Grass, and in tandem with Dry Skin, a Water immunity. Ilike the Life Orb because it gives me a real \boost to Attack, 30% exactly, and not only that but I can heal off the recoil in the Rain. Sucker Punch is the main selling point b/c I can pick a lot weak or fraile sweppers off very easily.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Your team really needs Politoed. All this Damp Rock - Rain Dance hassle is inferior to just sticking Politoed. Especially since you're lacking Swift Swimmers to abuse the Rain Dance to its fullest. If you want this team to be competitive, you need Politoed. I suggest removing Metagross for DrizzleToed, since I feel it is least important to this team.
ScarfToed

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
8 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 244 Spe | Timid Nature
~ Scald
~ Hydro Pump
~ Ice Beam
~ Hypnosis

ScarfToed will not only provide you with PERMANENT rain, but will offer you a valuable revenge killer to check dangerous threats when Trick Room wears off, most notably DDNite, Terrakion, and Tornadus. Hypnosis comes in handy to cripple a mon so that your TR Sweepers can come in for free, dishing hard damage even without Trick Room up. Scald is there for the consistency and burn chance. It has enough Speed to outrun Starmie, Scarftar, Dugtrio, and Dragonite at after a Dragon Dance.

Good start on the Dragonite set. It can be even more dangerous with Aqua Tail > Dragon Pulse. Dragon Pulse is walled by the same thing as Hurricane, and does not offer any useful coverage, whereas Aqua Tail lets Dragonite hurt Steels and Rock Types that resists Hurricane. You obviously need to invest in its Atk to make Aqua Tail hurt. ExtremeSpeed, especially with Life Orb provides a tremendous revenge-killing utility move, so I suggest using it over Thunder, since Hurricane + Aqua Tail covers most threats. If you really want Thunder, it'll have to go over Roost.
Rain MixNite

Dragonite @ Life Orb
252 Atk / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef | Quiet / Brave Nature
~ Hurricane
~ Aqua Tail
~ ExtremeSpeed
~ Roost / Outrage / Thunder

NOTE: Outrage is useful for Gastrodon, Rotom-W, and Chansey that can survive 2 hits of Hurricane - Aqua Tail - ExtremeSpeed, and offers a good answer against Drought Teams. Thunder is if you want to make use of its paralysis chance and to hit Water Types harder.

And also I suggest Double-Edge over Knock Off on your Escavalier - Iron Head and Megahorn provides poor coverage, leaving you walled by many things, including Tentacruel, Gyarados, Ninetales, etc. Double-Edge provides some useful coverage - it takes out Infernape for instance.

Empoleon can't hold two items. Empoleon's 111 SAtk won't let it muscle through Ferrothorn, Tentacruel, and Chansey. I suggest a much more terrifying Rain Trick Room Sweeper - CB Crawdaunt. Thanks to Adaptability, the lobster's rain-boosted Crabhammer and Crunch destroys everything. A resisted Rain-boosted Crabhammer from Crawdaunt OHKOs Virizion and choice Rotom-W with Rocks, for instance.
TR CB Crawdaunt

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def | Brave Nature; 0 Spe IVs
~ Crabhammer / Waterfall
~ Crunch
~ Superpower
~ Double-Edge / Body Slam / Frustration

CB Crawdaunt in the Rain is a beast. No better way to abuse it than with Trick Room. Crabhammer and Waterfall is preference. You may give it Life Orb, but Crawdaunt doesn't really need to switch moves that often (it should pretty much be spamming its Water STAB), so CB is preferred for the extra power and durability.

If you're building a Rain Team, you need to be prepared for Rain threats, such as Starmie. Specially-defensive Celebi patches this up. I also recommend Bronzong to be more specially-defensive, too, to take Hurricanes from Tornadus better. I would give Bronzong Earthquake > SR, so that it can also deal with Rain Rachi and Magnezone. Also Explosion is a good way to switch in your TR Sweepers unscathed. TR Celebi can have SR instead, and Celebi should go over Slowking.
Trick Room Celebi

Celebi @ Leftovers
252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SDef | Calm Nature
~ Giga Drain / Leaf Storm
~ Psychic
~ Stealth Rock
~ Trick Room

Celebi checks Water types for the team; Psychic comes in handy against Toxicroak, Tentacruel, and Conkeldurr.

TR Bronzong

Bronzong @ Leftovers
252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef | Sassy Nature, Spe IVs 0
~ Gyro Ball
~ Earthquake
~ Trick Room
~ Explosion

With heavy investment in SDef, it will not be 3HKOed by Hurricane coming from Specs Tornadus.

I hope these suggestions lead your team to a good start. Good luck, and have fun.

Your team really needs Politoed. All this Damp Rock - Rain Dance hassle is inferior to just sticking Politoed. Especially since you're lacking Swift Swimmers to abuse the Rain Dance to its fullest. If you want this team to be competitive, you need Politoed. I suggest removing Metagross for DrizzleToed, since I feel it is least important to this team.
ScarfToed

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
~ Scald
~ Hydro Pump
~ Ice Beam
~ Hypnosis

ScarfToed will not only provide you with PERMANENT rain, but will offer you a valuable revenge killer to check dangerous threats when Trick Room wears off, most notably DDNite, Terrakion, and Tornadus. Hypnosis comes in handy to cripple a mon so that your TR Sweepers can come in for free, dishing hard damage even without Trick Room up. Scald is there for the consistency and burn chance. It has enough Speed to outrun Starmie, Scarftar, Dugtrio, and Dragonite at after a Dragon Dance.

Good start on the Dragonite set. It can be even more dangerous with Aqua Tail > Dragon Pulse. Dragon Pulse is walled by the same thing as Hurricane, and does not offer any useful coverage, whereas Aqua Tail lets Dragonite hurt Steels and Rock Types that resists Hurricane. You obviously need to invest in its Atk to make Aqua Tail hurt. ExtremeSpeed, especially with Life Orb provides a tremendous revenge-killing utility move, so I suggest using it over Thunder, since Hurricane + Aqua Tail covers most threats. If you really want Thunder, it'll have to go over Roost.
Rain MixNite

Dragonite @ Life Orb
252 Atk / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef | Quiet / Brave Nature
~ Hurricane
~ Aqua Tail
~ ExtremeSpeed
~ Roost / Outrage / Thunder

NOTE: Outrage is useful for Gastrodon, Rotom-W, and Chansey that can survive 2 hits of Hurricane - Aqua Tail - ExtremeSpeed, and offers a good answer against Drought Teams. Thunder is if you want to make use of its paralysis chance and to hit Water Types harder.

And also I suggest Double-Edge over Knock Off on your Escavalier - Iron Head and Megahorn provides poor coverage, leaving you walled by many things, including Tentacruel, Gyarados, Ninetales, etc. Double-Edge provides some useful coverage - it takes out Infernape for instance.

Empoleon can't hold two items. Empoleon's 111 SAtk won't let it muscle through Ferrothorn, Tentacruel, and Chansey. I suggest a much more terrifying Rain Trick Room Sweeper - CB Crawdaunt. Thanks to Adaptability, the lobster's rain-boosted Crabhammer and Crunch destroys everything. A resisted Rain-boosted Crabhammer from Crawdaunt OHKOs Virizion and choice Rotom-W with Rocks, for instance.
TR CB Crawdaunt

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def | Brave Nature; 0 Spe IVs
~ Crabhammer / Waterfall
~ Crunch
~ Superpower
~ Double-Edge / Body Slam / Frustration

CB Crawdaunt in the Rain is a beast. No better way to abuse it than with Trick Room. Crabhammer and Waterfall is preference. You may give it Life Orb, but Crawdaunt doesn't really need to switch moves that often (it should pretty much be spamming its Water STAB), so CB is preferred for the extra power and durability.

If you're building a Rain Team, you need to be prepared for Rain threats, such as Starmie. Specially-defensive Celebi patches this up. I also recommend Bronzong to be more specially-defensive, too, to take Hurricanes from Tornadus better. I would give Bronzong Earthquake > SR, so that it can also deal with Rain Rachi and Magnezone. Also Explosion is a good way to switch in your TR Sweepers unscathed. TR Celebi can have SR instead, and Celebi should go over Slowking.
Trick Room Celebi

Celebi @ Leftovers
~ Psychic
~ Stealth Rock
~ Trick Room

Celebi checks Water types for the team; Psychic comes in handy against Toxicroak, Tentacruel, and Conkeldurr.

TR Bronzong

Bronzong @ Leftovers
~ Gyro Ball
~ Earthquake
~ Trick Room
~ Explosion

With heavy investment in SDef, it will not be 3HKOed by Hurricane coming from Specs Tornadus.

I hope these suggestions lead your team to a good start. Good luck, and have fun.
Thank for the great advice. I did take out the Damp Rock on Bronzong and added Politoed. My concerns are the Mix Dragonite and Escavalier. Adding 252 atk evs wouldn't that make it less bulky or should this be an all out Dragonite b/c of its natural base defenses. On Escavalier, he does have poor coverage, but what other Trick room pokemon that would do good in the Rain? The Metagross I have hits 13 of the 17 types supereffectivily. what other physical attacker would hit the other 4 types super effectivily?

I would recommend putting 252 EVs in SpA for Dnite instead of Atk
Why? I trying to KO certain pokemon like Chansey, Blissey and other special defensive pokemon that will wall Dragonite. Putting Evs into attack ensure 2HKOs to most of those pokemons

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If u want a physical dnite then forgo hurricane and thunder for eq and dragon dance as special attacks coming from a dnite with no spa investments does very little

edit: sorry i did not notice that dnite had 252 spa evs, i assumed it was the normal 252 atk/252 spe investments. I would definitely recommend putting dragon dance on it to increase his speed as he is your sweeper. Personally i would either go for either a physical dnite or a special not a mixed but its up to you

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Did you open the hide tags on my post? I virtually supplied all the answers to your question in those tags :d

If u want a physical dnite then forgo hurricane and thunder for eq and dragon dance as special attacks coming from a dnite with no spa investments does very little
I do have 252 sp atk Evs. What are you talking about? And remember this is a Trick Room Team that just has a Politoed for Permanent Rain. But I see where u are going on the Dragon Dance, for a late game sweeper

Your carrying too many steels, so I suggest you switch out one of them for gastrodon, it can even abuse the rain by spamming rain boosted scalds as and is slow enough for trick room. It also counters opposing rain sweepers

Bobtheball4

CAP Playtesting Expert
Not much to change, as pocket suggested useful changes to about your whole team. Only one comment. How about changing the metagross set to an effective mixed attacker. Tntunderplex battled me with it on the ladder, and it nearly swept my whole team. The set is metagross @ expert belt, 252 attack, 252 special attack, 4 hp, with a quiet nature. Meteor mash, grass knot, hp ice / hp grass / hp fire and earthquake.

Alright guys, made some big changes to the team, thanks to Pocket for his brilliant advice. Now is there anything else I can change or modify for this Trick Room Rain Dance Team?

Psychic on Slowking works much better IMO. Metagross should either be holding an Iron Ball(faster under TR) or an Air Balloon(no weaknesses in rain). None of your pokes can function very well outside of TR. Maybe add a scarfer in case something goes wrong. I like this team. Was thinking about making one similar. :)

hey man , I have tried like you to build a rain room team long ago , but thundurus was such a bother that I abandonned the idea , anyway here's my opinion about your team .

first , you lack any way of stall breaking , except dragonite but still , it won't get past classic Rain stall teams , and with SR and LO , it won't live long , bronzong is begging ferrothorn / forretress to come and lay hazards , and trick room actually help them .

scizor is a big threat too , it's pretty simple , SD scizor 6hko , bander can spam u turn on half your pokemons , and rotom volt switch his way out of metagross / bronzong ...etc

no offense but i don't see this team holding it's own against any standard team in this meta .

now for changes , replace metagross and ampharos , both are really meh in a trick room team , you wanna hit hard from the bath , i suggest something like toxicroak , it brings useful resistances to dark and bug attacks , likes rain and hits hard with a SD set , and he has PRIORITY , wich is reaaly important in a TR team .

I suggest also a jellicent , one of the best checks to scizor , you can go with an offensive set with Hpump / Shadow ball / trick room / recover , or the standard defensive . both are just fine .

why not run an offensive politoad ? spec in rain is really frightening if you can't outspeed it ..

there's just the issue of rotom , he's an annoying piece of **** , maybe try replace slowking with celebi or sthg .

hope this helps .. good luck .

Hey Slowking, this team isn't that well developed as your other team. This team looks like you just made up on the spot.

I agree with the people who have commited on this. Change Amphorus to Crawdaunt remember this is a RAIN TEAM. WATERFALL is a Base 160 with adapt and not to mentioning in the Rain it probably is at 200 BP. Choice Band is the best item.

Next Change politoed to Modest and put a Specs. And if you want him to be bulky make his Evs 252 speed 126 Sp Atk, 126 HP. STAB Water types moves are needed in rain. I know he is your lead but he has some natural bulk. You want politoed to outspeed the other weather starters and hit extremely hard.

Now for Metagross get him off. Switch him for a Cursed Body Jellicent, if you put Crawdaunt on your team you need someone to check his and Slowking's Bug weakness and Crawdaunt's fighting weakness. I would suggest the defensive since your Slowking is offensive. Probably the Evs for Jellicent is slighty for defensive maybe run a Sassy nature with a lot of defensive EVs.

On Slowking, I know you aren't going to switch him for another pokemon since he is your favorite. I think it's fine where it is just be careful off is goofy looking sibling Slowbro cause he walls u like crazy.

Hope this help man. And I wouldn't mine battling u just PM me.

Pocket

Trick Room Celebi

Celebi @ Leftovers
~ Psychic
~ Stealth Rock
~ Trick Room

TR Bronzong

Bronzong @ Leftovers
~ Gyro Ball
~ Earthquake
~ Trick Room
~ Explosion

IMO, I prefer Politoed to be scarfed, since it can check threats when TR is not activated:

ScarfToed

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
~ Scald
~ Hydro Pump
~ Ice Beam
~ Hypnosis

pocket if you havn't notice he's not gonna switch Slowking out for celebi.

He would lose a special attacker, and Slowking is a check to Toxicroak, Tentacruel, and Conkeldurr already.

Why not he switch out Jellicent for Celebi?

Or maybe add Sniper Kingdra for sweeping after trick room is over?

Jellicent is his only solid check to Scizor, and Celebi over Slowking still gives him a lot of firepower - Slowking usually doesn't get off Nasty Plot boosts that either, meaning that the power will sometimes or often be the same. It's also his only spinblocker and you beat any tentacruel 1v1 anyways if they aren't running Hex. Conkeldurr is checked by Dragonite even when Multiscale isn't active due to hurricane - Toxicroak is also checked by Dragonite but only when Multiscale is active.

Pocket

Thank you, Zurich. How does Slowking counter Toxicroak any better than Celebi? SD + 3 Atk is hard-countered by Jellicent anyways.

There's also no point in X-scissor on Crawdaunt when Crunch would be hitting most Grass and Psychic Types harder anyways. I'd replace X-Scissor for Double-Edge / Return / Body Slam to hurt Toxicroak on the switch.

Alright, so if he decides not to switch out Slowking for Celebi, what pokemon will need to be taking out? I mean he needs Bronzong for his wall.

But why would he need two special defensive walls. Shouldn't he make celebi physical defensive?

Slowking has enough power to OHKO Toxicroak, and other threats. ANd you keep forgetting Celebi and Slowking have the same base Sp attack of 100. So they both do the same amount of damage with and without Nasty Plot +
This is an unboosted Pyshic to Toxicroak 249.4% - 293.5%
This is an unboosted Pyshic to a Support Tentacrual 51.1% - 61%

Slowking's STAB Surf is deadly in the Rain as well. It can 2HKO Bronzong Tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)