ORAS NU This Throwback Tho

Where do I begin? This team isn't actually too old, just something I had for a long time.

Intro:

Ok, maybe it is old, because the only replay of this team that exists dates back to July 12, 2015, and we in November.

That ain't the point. Basically, here's le team.

I wanted to see if I could change this team to fit the current meta without changing any mons. All I did was change a few movesets, but after a lot of tests, the team proved to still be solid. And without further ado, let's just get right into it.

The Team:

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

3 of the 6 members on this team kept their original sets, and Pawn is one of the 3. Pawn's a pretty cool set-up mon with Swords Dance. Strong priority is nice as well. Iron Head is a good STAB move too, and Knock off is just one of the best moves in the game. Pawn is one of 2 set-up pokes on the team, the set is pretty much standard, so there's not much to say about it.

Lilligant @ Lum Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Rock is my favorite Hidden Power to run with Lilli. This set also remained the same as on the original team. While I normally use Life Orb, when I originally made this team, I wanted to try out Lum Berry as the item. The berry rarely does anything, but it has its uses occasionally. The team's other set-up sweeper, the first one was described in the first description of this RMT.

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Signal Beam
- Energy Ball
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

This set is definitely different from the original team, so so far we got 2 sets that stayed the same and 1 different one. Remember, 3 sets are the same while the other 3 are different. Speed is enough for neutral natured base 70 mons like Ludicolo and Samurott. I'm not sure if that's too slow or not, but it's been able to do stuff. Has trouble dealing damage to most steel types, but it's still aight. I could probably fit HP Ground on the set if I wanted to, but I don't know.

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 196 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake

The last set that stayed the same as the original team, so Garb and Lanturn turned out being something different. Hazard setter with the rocks, the pretty cool Rock/Ground coverage with Rock Slide and Earthquake, and last, but definitely not least, the one, the only, Thunder Wave. A.K.A. Yellow Magic. A.K.A. One of the best moves in the game. A.K.A. Slow down (and potentially immobilize) a dude's Pokemon for free. Thunder Wave and Rock Slide also form the infamous ParaFlinch strat, although that's far from my original intention with the set. Just a reliable Stealth Rocker and check to stuff in general.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 204 SpD / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Scald
- Volt Switch

This Lanturn has literally turned into the only Lanturn I use whenever Lanturn is on my team. I'm still not even sure what my plans are here. I have Hidden Power Fire because Lanturn is pretty good at luring in Ferroseed, something this team practically loses to thanks to the lack of fire or fighting coverage. I don't know. The EVs and other moves are stuff that I always have on this set, I saw that on the analysis somewhere and made it work for me. Spreads status with T-Wave and Scald, which is pretty nice. Pivots out with Volt Switch too, as from what I've seen most peeps won't switch Electric resists right into it, unless their Electric resist is their own Lanturn.

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Def
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

The original team had a much more offensive variant of Garb rather than this set that I've also been using quite a lot. I have literally no idea what these EVs do, but I threw it on once a while ago and it worked since. It allows me to do more damage to Klinklang with Drain Punch and just generally do more damage with my attacks. Dual Spikes is good too, even though I don't have a spin blocker, but I can still deal with most Defog users by either straight-up attacking them with other stuff, or just going Pawn and proceeding to go ham with the Defiant boost. Rocky Helmet and Aftermath is a pretty cool combination if I'm sacking Garb to a contact move or something. Not much to say but I managed to say a lot.

Outro and Cool Stuff

Sleep. Lilligant especially when my Thunder Wave mons are weak to Grass. Vivillon and Jynx are easier to para though, but this is assuming I get the Thunder Wave off in time. However after the Para they're extremely easy to handle.

Stockpile Confuse Ray Cradily. Almost took an L to a Stockpile Confuse Ray Cradily because if I set up my Pawn alongside it I had a chance to kill myself in confusion. I was able to use Lilligant to set up alongside it though. It took a long time but that battle ended in a 6-0.

Hax + Rhydon. Rhydon doesn't actually set up on much but if it haxes me it wins.

People who don't forget me in their shoutouts.

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Lilligant @ Lum Berry
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Signal Beam
- Energy Ball
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 196 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake

Lanturn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 204 SpD / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Scald
- Volt Switch

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Def
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

Replays:

I lied. There are actually 2 existing replays. Both are hella old but they're still decent representations of how this team plays.

[replay]nu-249402312[/replay]
Extremely close match, now I remember that on the old version of the team Mesprit had HP Fighting on it. Pretty sure Pawn was pretty common back then, and the team took a major L to it because offensive Garb didn't like taking Sucker Punches.

[replay]nu-249137060[/replay]
Me getting rekt.

Hey Marcu5,

Nice team! It seems to be fairly well rounded in terms of what it deals with and your analysis of what it struggled with seems to be fairly on point! :}

For changes I think could help dealing with the problems you mentioned I would recomend Piloswine > Regirock. While this opens you up to being weaker to fire types like pyroar and magmortar I feel piloswine creates less opportunities for rhydon, ice shard piority for the frail sleep setters, and a nice stab physical ice mon to hit cradily and make it regret coming in vs your team.

After that you could benifit from a Magmortar > Lilligant/Mesprit. This lets you have a firm switchin to sleep since your team is slow and doesnt revenge kill easily. Problem is mesprit fills a role of being a secondary sawk check after garb and being the needed response to malamar. At the same time lilligant seems to be a well supported sweeper (and quag counter) on your squad that might not want to be replaced. Personally I see Magmortar > Lilligant as the better switch option.

If you do get a magmortar on the team I think you could potentially replace hp fire on lanturn with a more consistant move unless you really enjoy. Ice beam and heal bell come to mind tho heal bell isnt that great on offensive lanturn. If you do switch moves the defensive spead would probably serve you better.

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Lanturn @ Leftovers
EVs: 40 HP / 220 Def / 208 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

Last edited:

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
SD Pawn / QD lilli / Offensive Colbur Mesprit / Sp def regirock / Offensive Lanturn / Spikes Garb

Howdy MARCU5theBAW5, Sick team that you have here. As I'm sure you know, spike stack tends to be a really deadly playstyle in NU since most of our hazard removal is quite lame. I only have a few recommendation that would help to make this team function a bit better overall.

On Lilligant, I'd recommend using Life Orb over Lum Berry. The one-time protection to things like para is cool and all, but Lanturn already makes clicking t wave a risky proposition and the extra power is preferable since you're kinda forced to run timid in this meta which can make Lilligant's attacks come up short if unboosted.

Another thing I would suggest is to run HP Ground or HP Fire over HP Rock. You said the team is an older one you remade and honestly I don't really see the point in running HP Rock at the moment since you really only hit Xatu. Hidden Power Ground, on the other hand, helps to dispatch of Skunktank which the team certainly appreciates so that Pawn doesnt get aftermathed and Garb can set t spikes with no worry. HP Fire is also cool for hitting ferroseed which is always detrimental to a Lilligant sweep if you lack a way to hit it.

Lilligant @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Ground]

>

I would suggest that you replace Mesprit with Mismagius. This doesn't take away anything that mes offers as you still have a fighting check, a malamar check, ground imuniity, rhydon check, etc but also adds a spin blocker to help keep hazards on the field. Here is the set I'd recommend for your team:

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot / Memento
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hex

You play the tier quite regularly so not gonna spend a ton of time what it does. Overall it is An offensive set that performs different tasks depending on what you use for the first slot. Nasty Plot gives you another win con but I realize that might be excessive considering you have two other sweepers. Because of that I also suggest you try out Memento as that can be a valuable asset in securing a sweep with Lilligant or Pawniard late game. Wisp burns common switch ins to whittle them down, d gleam is great coverage alongside your ghost stab, and Hex pairs well with wisp and can really pack a punch if Toxic Spikes are up.

All being said, the changes make the team a bit more offensive, but spike stacking lends itself well to that style of play so it shouldn't be a huge problem. Also for whats worth, that addition of Missy + rocks should give enough of a chance to play around common sleepers in the tier. Hope I've helped n_n

ok i found two big weaknesses that werent really mentioned befor. At first, the standard-Archeops-attacker just destroys u. Eq Hits regi and garb and lanturn and pawn, acro hits lilli and mesprit. Ur only way of dealing with it is to fear it out with sucker punch from pawn after a sac. So i'd change regirock to pilloswine just as Dentricos suggested. Aqua tail isnt that common and u have ice shard to revenge frail flying types and if u dont kill fast mons in general with it because of the missing attack u weaken them at least.
Next thing is Malamar. Ur mesprit is the only way of dealing with it and even tho colbur berry its not rly a Switchin. Also if u lose ur colbur berry too early u lose ur Sawk check. So id suggest u a defensive one with uturn/twave/psyshock/hwish. I can add an evspread later. This shud help u a lil bit with strong physical attackers and u get switch-momentum with uturn which is rly good for your lilligant+pawniard.

Well then i hope i helped and sry if i fucked my sentences up, im tired af haha

ok i found two big weaknesses that werent really mentioned befor. At first, the standard-Archeops-attacker just destroys u. Eq Hits regi and garb and lanturn and pawn, acro hits lilli and mesprit. Ur only way of dealing with it is to fear it out with sucker punch from pawn after a sac. So i'd change regirock to pilloswine just as Dentricos suggested. Aqua tail isnt that common and u have ice shard to revenge frail flying types and if u dont kill fast mons in general with it because of the missing attack u weaken them at least.
Next thing is Malamar. Ur mesprit is the only way of dealing with it and even tho colbur berry its not rly a Switchin. Also if u lose ur colbur berry too early u lose ur Sawk check. So id suggest u a defensive one with uturn/twave/psyshock/hwish. I can add an evspread later. This shud help u a lil bit with strong physical attackers and u get switch-momentum with uturn which is rly good for your lilligant+pawniard.

Well then i hope i helped and sry if i fucked my sentences up, im tired af haha
Regirock is fine vs Cheops, EQ really doesn't do much. But of course, Piloswine has an even better matchup vs it, and rhydon n shit too
252 Atk Archeops Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Regirock: 112-134 (30.7 - 36.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)