SM OU This Team

Hi, I did some teambuilding and came up with this team a few weeks ago. I've managed to win most of the battles I've played, and it would be nice if I could have some feedback and suggestions on how to improve this team.

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump

So, this Greninja is usually my lead, and is able to land a ko or two in the match. Focus sash is to guarantee it at least a turn of damage. Water shuriken is for priority, dark pulse and hydro pump are its 2 main attacks, and gunk shot is to deal with fairies and special walls, which usually hits them hard enough. Protean gives greninjas moves STAB, and also because I could not find a Greninja with Battle Bond, but this was more than good enough for me.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Ice Punch
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Mawile is my Mega for the team, as it has a thumping attack stat and huge power doubles this giving it insane power. Mawile can also easily switch in to some physical attackers due to its ability intimidate, its decent base defence, and its many resistances as well as 2 immunities. Play rough and Iron Head are its 2 main STAB attacks, Ice punch is for coverage, and sucker punch is to have some priority. I gave it 92 hp evs because its hp is rather poor and needed a little extra, and the 164 in speed lets it outspeed some slower pokemon in the tier which could otherwise threaten it.

Rotom-Wash @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Now we have Rotom. Rotom is my main defogger, as it has levitate, making it immune to spikes, toxic spikes, and spider web, while taking less damage to rocks. Hydro Pump is its main hard-hitting STAB move, volt switch is to pivot and give the rest of the team momentum, will o wisp is to cripple any physical threats, which couples nicely with its high defence stat, and defog is of course to remove hazards. 56 speed evs are to give is a little boost. 200 DEF as i previously mentioned, goes with will o wisp, helping rotom as a physical wall, and max hp is because it has a low base hp stat and it needs all the health it can get especially when tanking hits. Wiki berry is for recovery as rotom doesn't have very reliable recovery options.

Tornadus-Therian @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Defog

This, is Tornadus, My Z-Move user and secondary defogger for the team. I chose Tornadus because it has good speed and a pretty decent spatk stat. Hurricane is its main STAB, and can also cause confusion which is very handy, knock off is to scout for Z-Crystals and to get rid of other items such as leftovers or berries etc. Focus Blast allows tornadus to hit ice and rock types hard, and provide it with a powerful Z-Move. And Defog is of course to remove hazards, but it is my secondary defogger due to it taking more damage to rocks than Rotom. The main problem with this set is the low accuracy moves, but I'm always willing to test my luck. I think the EVs are fairly obvious.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Protect

Here we have Heatran, the MVP of the team, this lad has won me so many battles because of its large number of resistances, good defences, and absolute henchness. He has lava plume as the main STAB move, which also has a nice chance to burn which has been extremely useful. Earth power is to counter other Heatrans and provide a bit of coverage. Toxic allows me to stall out any bulkier opponents who take my 2 attacks well, and protect is to scout for ground type moves and other moves in order to check heatrans threats. It also grants me leftovers recovery. I gave the lad max SpDef to make it very bulky to any powerful special attacks, as well as its resistances. 212 Health is to give it some longevity coupled with leftovers, and the rest went into speed to let it outspeed some slower mons.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Finally we have Tangrowth, who completes the Fire Water Grass trio within the team. Tangrowth is my defensive and special wall, and is able to switch into many things, as well as having reliable recovery in Regenerator. Giga Drain is its main STAB and gives it healing, Knock off is to scout for crystals and remove items, aswell as coverage, HP Ice is also for coverage against Pokemon like Garchomp and Zapdos, and Earthquake is a surprise attack I put on him to hit other annoying Pokemon such as Diancie, Heatran, and Magnezone. I was having a bit of 5th move syndrome with Tangrowth as he has a vast movepool and I had other good move options such as Sludge Bomb, Rock slide, and even Toxic, but this is what I decided on. Assault vest is to boost his otherwise mediocre SpDef, I gave him max Special Defence to get over this, and then 248 hp for bulk and longevity, and 8 hp for a little more Physical Defence.

Well, thats about it, I look forward to seeing feedback I suppose.

Well pretty standard team with six popular pokemons in OU tier. However, your greninja set is not appreciated here somehow. The shuriken on greninja-protean is really unstable, being not able to kill anything without choice specs, and it can be walled by magearna, ferrothorn or pex.

Yes I realized that your team seems cannot deal with pex at all, allowing it to spam toxic on your rotom/tang/tournadous, burn your mawile and slowly weaken your whole team. At least you should bring thunder punch on mawile to play with pex, or use groundium z on greninja.

Your team lacks fast pokemons. Once heatran is weakened, some fast pokemons like alakazam can easily break your whole team.

There are actually many similar teams with your team. For example,
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-volt-switch-mega-maw-offence.3603639/page-32

Hello, let's just jump right into the rate here.

Major changes

-->

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 6 Spe
- Heart Swap
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

The first major change is changing your defensive Steel-type. The original was quite weak to Tapu Lele, Magearna with Calm Mind, and Double Dance Reuniclus. Swap Split Magearna can solve these problems, and can further check Mega Alakazam and take on Fightinium Z Tornadus-T. It also provides a decent Dark-resist to help against Greninja, and has slightly better longevity than Heatran as a Psychic and Fairy check with Pain Split. Volt Switch is also a great positive, as your Magearna will be able to pivot out and let a teammate come in safely.
Wait, you may ask, doesn't Mega Mawile kind of do this already?
Well, no. Mega Mawile takes around 60% from Choice Specs Psychic and is OHKOed by +1 Shattered Psyche, and cannot use Sucker Punch on Tapu Lele, and since you don't have Swords Dance or Knock Off, Reuniclus can actually beat you 1v1 unless you crit or something. It also is definitely not a switch-in to Choice Specs Greninja, as Dark Pulse does more than 30% minimum and Hydro Pump has a high chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock.

-->

Garchomp @ Rockium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
This is just a standard Rockium Z Garchomp, and is also kind of your Heatran check alongside Rotom-W. You had no Stealth Rock user on your team, which is just a big no-no. I was considering changing Heatran to something else and using Ferrothorn as the Steel-type, but Garchomp fits much better by bringing a great offensive presence while being one great Stealth Rocker because it can pressure common Defoggers and really do some work on the opposing team to give its other teammates an easier time. Having a decent speed tier is also nice because the team doesn't have a Scarfer, and Tangrowth will just make the team even slower.

Smaller changes
-->

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes
- Water Shuriken

The original set was really weird because you had a sort of Ash-Greninja moveset, and then your ability and item don't really fit with the set, so I changed it to a more standard Ash-Greninja.

move change
Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Fang
AoA Mega Mawile usually doesn't require both its STAB moves, and Play Rough is always used on Mega Mawile. Thunder Punch is really nice for weakening Toxapex for Ash-Greninja and deals decent damage to anything neutral like Heatran. Fire Fang just snipes Ferrothorn and weakens opposing Magearna, to allow your Greninja to break through them more easily and also ease the pressure on your Magearna to check opposing offensive Magearna.

And to fit with our newly added members
EV spread change
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
Because we got rid of Tangrowth, the team will be quite weak to Ash-Greninja and Tapu Koko, so to compensate we will have to make Rotom more specially defensive. I took this spread from a really similar build by Finchinator, and afaik it allows Rotom to avoid the 3HKO from Choice Specs Greninja's Hydro Pump and Modest Heatran's Magma Storm, and always avoid the 2HKO from Choice Specs Greninja's Dark Pulse, although you are always OHKOed by Bloom Doom from Heatran no matter how much SpDef you run. The rest is just put into Defense to better help against Stone Edge Landorus-T, Sand Rush Excadrill, Mega Swampert, and Gyarados. If you want, you can run Will-O-Wisp + Thunder Wave over Pain Split and use a Wiki Berry for more speed control.

-->

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Defog
To better help against Tapu Bulu and Kartana, Tornadus-T is now using a bulky spread. This allows you to break through Grass-types easier and is a great Defogger as well. Knock Off + Taunt decimates a lot of defensive cores like CelePex, which really don't like Taunt and Celesteela despises Knock Off, or just Chansey.

183801 <<- click on this for Importable!

Now this new team is a bit weak to some Pokemon, so here is a threatlist.

heatran.png
(Bloom Doom Heatran) Big threat because Rotom-W is OHKOed by it and Garchomp gets severely chipped. You should scout for this if you think the opponent has it (like if your oppo really hates Fini and you don't really see anything that can really break it) or if there's a Tapu Bulu.

(Psychic spam) They can overwhelm Magearna easily and stops Sucker Punch from Mega Mawile, so you should play a bit more aggressively against these and pressure them, and keep Magearna healthy with Pain Split and not taking unnecessary damage.

(strong wallbreakers) Everything is 2HKOed by Band Wood Hammer, and Tornadus takes like 95%. You can't hope to play defensively against this, again it requires some doubles to keep in check. I guess you could also like, sack Garchomp and make it take 50% recoil in return, but you should always try to pressure it instead of letting it pressure you. Medicham actually just claims a kill per switch-in, so either you bring it down to Sucker Punch range / Water Shuriken range chipping w/ Rocks and Rocky Helmet, or just keep doubing into Tornadus-T whenever you expect it to come in.

(Tapu Koko) Like mentioned above, this is actually a pretty big threat, especially Choice Specs sets, since nothing really outspeeds and Garchomp is smashed by Dazzling Gleam / HP Ice. Much predictions is required to beat it, or you can just weaken it with Will-O-Wisp and hazard damage.

There are certainly a lot of threats than this, but remember that this is an offense team, so pressuring the opponent by making double switches is important.

e1: p.s. and this looks super like the team from the break this team project :smogthink:

e2: feel free to use hydro pump over surf on ash-greninja if you want

Hello, let's just jump right into the rate here.

Major changes

View attachment 183748 --> View attachment 183750
Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 6 Spe
- Heart Swap
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

The first major change is changing your defensive Steel-type. The original was quite weak to Tapu Lele, Magearna with Calm Mind, and Double Dance Reuniclus. Swap Split Magearna can solve these problems, and can further check Mega Alakazam and take on Fightinium Z Tornadus-T. It also provides a decent Dark-resist to help against Greninja, and has slightly better longevity than Heatran as a Psychic and Fairy check with Pain Split. Volt Switch is also a great positive, as your Magearna will be able to pivot out and let a teammate come in safely.
Wait, you may ask, doesn't Mega Mawile kind of do this already?
Well, no. Mega Mawile takes around 60% from Choice Specs Psychic and is OHKOed by +1 Shattered Psyche, and cannot use Sucker Punch on Tapu Lele, and since you don't have Swords Dance or Knock Off, Reuniclus can actually beat you 1v1 unless you crit or something. It also is definitely not a switch-in to Choice Specs Greninja, as Dark Pulse does more than 30% minimum and Hydro Pump has a high chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock.

View attachment 183749 --> View attachment 183751
Garchomp @ Rockium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
This is just a standard Rockium Z Garchomp, and is also kind of your Heatran check alongside Rotom-W. You had no Stealth Rock user on your team, which is just a big no-no. I was considering changing Heatran to something else and using Ferrothorn as the Steel-type, but Garchomp fits much better by bringing a great offensive presence while being one great Stealth Rocker because it can pressure common Defoggers and really do some work on the opposing team to give its other teammates an easier time. Having a decent speed tier is also nice because the team doesn't have a Scarfer, and Tangrowth will just make the team even slower.

Smaller changes
View attachment 183743View attachment 183753 --> View attachment 183754
Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes
- Water Shuriken

The original set was really weird because you had a sort of Ash-Greninja moveset, and then your ability and item don't really fit with the set, so I changed it to a more standard Ash-Greninja.

View attachment 183747move change
Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Fang
AoA Mega Mawile usually doesn't require both its STAB moves, and Play Rough is always used on Mega Mawile. Thunder Punch is really nice for weakening Toxapex for Ash-Greninja and deals decent damage to anything neutral like Heatran. Fire Fang just snipes Ferrothorn and weakens opposing Magearna, to allow your Greninja to break through them more easily and also ease the pressure on your Magearna to check opposing offensive Magearna.

And to fit with our newly added members
View attachment 183745EV spread change
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
Because we got rid of Tangrowth, the team will be quite weak to Ash-Greninja and Tapu Koko, so to compensate we will have to make Rotom more specially defensive. I took this spread from a really similar build by Finchinator, and afaik it allows Rotom to avoid the 3HKO from Choice Specs Greninja's Hydro Pump and Modest Heatran's Magma Storm, and always avoid the 2HKO from Choice Specs Greninja's Dark Pulse, although you are always OHKOed by Bloom Doom from Heatran no matter how much SpDef you run. The rest is just put into Defense to better help against Stone Edge Landorus-T, Sand Rush Excadrill, Mega Swampert, and Gyarados. If you want, you can run Will-O-Wisp + Thunder Wave over Pain Split and use a Wiki Berry for more speed control.

View attachment 183744View attachment 183755 --> View attachment 183756
Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Defog
To better help against Tapu Bulu and Kartana, Tornadus-T is now using a bulky spread. This allows you to break through Grass-types easier and is a great Defogger as well. Knock Off + Taunt decimates a lot of defensive cores like CelePex, which really don't like Taunt and Celesteela despises Knock Off, or just Chansey.

View attachment 183801 <<- click on this for Importable!

Now this new team is a bit weak to some Pokemon, so here is a threatlist.

View attachment 183748View attachment 183804 (Bloom Doom Heatran) Big threat because Rotom-W is OHKOed by it and Garchomp gets severely chipped. You should scout for this if you think the opponent has it (like if your oppo really hates Fini and you don't really see anything that can really break it) or if there's a Tapu Bulu.

View attachment 183805View attachment 183806(Psychic spam) They can overwhelm Magearna easily and stops Sucker Punch from Mega Mawile, so you should play a bit more aggressively against these and pressure them, and keep Magearna healthy with Pain Split and not taking unnecessary damage.

View attachment 183807View attachment 183808View attachment 183810(strong wallbreakers) Everything is 2HKOed by Band Wood Hammer, and Tornadus takes like 95%. You can't hope to play defensively against this, again it requires some doubles to keep in check. I guess you could also like, sack Garchomp and make it take 50% recoil in return, but you should always try to pressure it instead of letting it pressure you. Medicham actually just claims a kill per switch-in, so either you bring it down to Sucker Punch range / Water Shuriken range chipping w/ Rocks and Rocky Helmet, or just keep doubing into Tornadus-T whenever you expect it to come in.

View attachment 183809(Tapu Koko) Like mentioned above, this is actually a pretty big threat, especially Choice Specs sets, since nothing really outspeeds and Garchomp is smashed by Dazzling Gleam / HP Ice. Much predictions is required to beat it, or you can just weaken it with Will-O-Wisp and hazard damage.

There are certainly a lot of threats than this, but remember that this is an offense team, so pressuring the opponent by making double switches is important.

e1: p.s. and this looks super like the team from the break this team project :smogthink:

e2: feel free to use hydro pump over surf on ash-greninja if you want
Thank you for your rate!
Also, thanks for listing the teams threats as well, its given me a better picture of how to use the team.

The Magearna I have has similar EVs but not the exact same, will it suffice? ( 252HP, 252SPDEF, 4SPATK, Sassy nature)
Also, why 6 speed ivs?

The Tangrowth to Garchomp Change makes a lot of sense, giving me more speed on the team and more offensive presence as you have said, as well as a more offensive Z-move user and rocks setter as I forgot about hazards.

And, I looked at the team project. and it is quite similar, but I promise you I haven't copied that team.
Thanks for your advice!

Well pretty standard team with six popular pokemons in OU tier. However, your greninja set is not appreciated here somehow. The shuriken on greninja-protean is really unstable, being not able to kill anything without choice specs, and it can be walled by magearna, ferrothorn or pex.

Yes I realized that your team seems cannot deal with pex at all, allowing it to spam toxic on your rotom/tang/tournadous, burn your mawile and slowly weaken your whole team. At least you should bring thunder punch on mawile to play with pex, or use groundium z on greninja.

Your team lacks fast pokemons. Once heatran is weakened, some fast pokemons like alakazam can easily break your whole team.

There are actually many similar teams with your team. For example,
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-volt-switch-mega-maw-offence.3603639/page-32
I understand where you're coming from, however most of the time i've been able to weaken pex quite nicely, with eq from tang and earth power from heatran, which usually takes scald from it decent thanks to the spdef. Another person who replied suggested to change tang for garchomp which is good because it gives me more speed and lets me counter pex more effectively. I have also put t-punch on Mawile.
Thanks for the advice!

The Magearna I have has similar EVs but not the exact same, will it suffice? ( 252HP, 252SPDEF, 4SPATK, Sassy nature)
Also, why 6 speed ivs?
From the analyses I took this set from, the given Defense investment allows it to survive an Earthquake from offensive Landorus-T and High Jump Kick from Mega Medicham from full. 6 Speed IVs allows you to underspeed Celesteela, basically meaning Leech Seed will not be chipping away Magearna if you Volt Switch on the turn it uses Leech Seed. This set doesn't need the 36- Speed like AV does because it can deal with Calm Mind Clefable just fine

Last edited:
Ah ok I see what you mean. That’s a little bit surprising that it couldn’t live either of them, even with max health and it’s nice base def.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)