The Ultimate Combination (peaked at #2)

The Ultimate Combination

INTRO

Hi, my name is ABfloww on PS. I started playing ubers a couple of weeks ago with a friends team, and i was doing decent with that. I have been playing competitive Pokemon for quite a while now and i do believe that i am fairly decent player. This is the first Uber's team I've made. i tried get as much balance and variety in this team, hope you take your time reading this and give back some feedback as i spent quite some time writing this :p and if you like it or want to use this team, pls leave a Like/ Luvdisc. :))

TEAM BUILDING PHASES
(please read, important)

Before making this team the first thing i thought i should have is a designated defensive and specially defensive wall. And after a few minutes i came up with the best 2 i could think off: being Lugia and Giratina. Giratna being my defensive mon and lugia the specially defensive. I will explain more on this later.

now i added Ferrothorn solely to set up hazards and for an extra defensive poke.

Now this decision was hard. But after a long time thinking, i finally came up with the decision to have The Electric form of arceus, mainly becuse of how common water types are in ubers, Specifically KYOGRE. the most commonly used uber.

Looking at Kyurem white's BST (700), and in particular its special attack stat (170), its really hard to leave it out of my team, especially seeing how powerful a draco is from this thing.

With one spot left, i tried to find a flaw in my team. and what i noticed is that i dont have any Physical attackers. Looking for one, many came to mind, but i made a desicion to choose Zekrom.

I used a choiced Zekrom for a few matches, but i didnt really like it, as it didnt really have that "X-factor" it didnt really do big damage and seemed to die easily. hence i chose Rayquaza as my physical attacker, also having an enormous physical attack stat (150) and how dangerous it can be after a Dragon Dance. here i also put a choice Scarf onto Kyurem-W.

As you might notice, i team is very Vulnerable to entry hazards, in particular Stealth Rock's. with 3 mon's taking 25% upon switching in and almost all taking damamge from Toxic spikes and spikes. And thats why i put in forretress, because i need a rapid spinner. I really didnt lik ethis desicion because i compltely prefer Ferrothorn over forretress, but i had no choice. THIS IS WHERE I NEED HELP. what pokemon should i have? i need a rapid spinner and something to set up hazards, and the thing with forretress is that majority of pokemon in ubers are special attackers, and forretress inst really known for its SpD stat. (base 60) please suggest any alternatives to this.

But this is how it looks at the moment and its doing quite good actually. But i really feel it has potential and can improve.

The team

In Detail:

Lugia @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Aeroblast
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Roost

As i mentioned in my "team building phase's" Lugia is my designated Special wall. Lugia has a very, very high special defense at 154. And not only can it take special hits, Lugia has 106, 130 and 154 defenses. I am fully invested specially and with a calm nature hence having 447 as its Special defense. Just an example of how well it can take hits:

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Multiscale Lugia: 81-96 (19.47 - 23.07%) -- possible 6HKO

or without Multiscale:

252 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lugia: 161-192 (38.7 - 46.15%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Now, mewtwo's attacks aren't usually easily taken and appreciated, and Lugia takes even a Super effective hit quite well from a Pokemon that has base 154 Spec attack. Once, i was even able to toxic stall out a Mewtwo while he was continuously spamming Ice beams.

Moves
: I have a fairly common set, Roost obviously for recovery, Toxic, Aeroblast for an attacking STAB move, and Substitute, to avoid being status'd, leech seeded etc.

Giratina @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dragon Tail

Giratina being my Physical wall, with base 150, 120, and 120 defenses, is very hard to take down let it be on the physical or special side, it can take hits and rest of the damage. I put this thing on my team after playing against it with my other team and i seeing how well it takes attacks.

Moves:
i've got the standard set consisting of Rest, Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers and to get residual damage and Sleep talk. Now I'm not sure if i should have Dragon tail or Roar as i 4th move, but most people seem to have Dragon tail. Im saying this because Dragon tail usually isn't capable of breaking subs, and people can easily set up behind a sub while Giratina is in. At the moment, ive got Dragon Tail, but please leave a comment below saying what you prefer.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SDef / 140 Def
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Rapid Spin

(Note: replaced Ferrothorn)
Now, if you've read my Team building phases above, you would have read that i originally had ferrothorn and i took it out because i needed a spinner due to the stealth rock weakness my team has. I also told you i had trouble choosing a spinner and that i preferred Ferrothorn over forretress. But currently I've made a decision to use Forretress.

Moves:
the moveset on forretress is the usual one, with Stealth Rock, Spikes as my hazards Rapid Spin to spin the hazards on my side away and Gyro Ball, as my only attacking move.

PLEASE LEAVE A SUGGESTION ON THIS, I REALLY NEED HELP ON A SPINNER AND A HAZARD SET UP POKEMON(S)

Arceus @ Zap Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Choosing the type of Arceus wasn't an easy decision as i said above, but looking at how common water types are in the uber metagame, in particular Kyogre having around 40% usage in ubers, i felt like the Electric type "god of pokemon" would be best suited for my team. I also made a decision have an offensive variant of it, knowing that arceus is extremely versatile, judging from its movepool.

Moves:
First move is no surprise in Judgment, I've got Ice beam to cover ground types and Calm Mind and Recover as last two moves.

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Trait: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

(note: this is a replacement for Zekrom)

When people think of a threatening Pokemon that can devastate teams in a matter of seconds, Rayquaza immediately comes to mind. With base offenses of 150 each, Rayquaza is by far one of Uber's most threatening wallbreakers and sweepers. Its great offensive typing coupled with boosting moves such as Dragon Dance and Swords Dance make Rayquaza an even bigger threat in seconds. If you thought having two of the most useful boosting moves as well as some of the best attacking stats in the game was threatening enough, it also gets an expansive movepool which includes the best priority move in the game, ExtremeSpeed.This is my physical attacker and really can win the match for you if played right.

Moves:
I've chosen 3 attacking moves and Dragon Dance. DD, with the combination of Outrage, Extremespeed, and Earthquake has a cery high potential to sweep. I put Outrage as a powerful STAB move, Earthquake to cover steel types, and Extremespeed as priority. The reason i dont have V-Create as a move is because even though it is a very powerful move with base 180 power, i dislike the Defense, SpD, and Speed drop. Also since i dont have a weather inducer, and rain is very common, i had decided to not have it on my Rayquaza.
Once again
leave your thoughts on this below.

Kyurem-White @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Turboblaze
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast

Kyurem-W's overpowering base 170 Special Attack and usable base 95 base Speed make it a decent Choice Scarf user. The reason i put a Scarf on Kyurem-W over Choice Specs, Life Orb or whatever, is because its speed isnt the "best' in uber standards at base 95, and with quite a lot of things out-speeding it, and along with a bad defensive typing i felt like it needed a scarf on it.

Moves: 4 different types of moves for coverage being Ice Beam, Draco Meteor (powerful moves with STAB and an amazing Special attack) and Earth Power, Focus blast as the last 2 moves for additional coverage.

Thank you all for reading, please leave a comment on this team, anything would be appreciated as i spent a very long time writing this.

And if you liked this team or want to use it please leave a like/ Luvdisc :p

Let me start by saying that there's a couple of things that I like on this team. I like your use of Timid Scarf Kyurem-W since I always felt that it could bring more to a team than Specs could, but I am wondering why you aren't running Fusion Flare. It's a great move, it lets you OHKO all the Forretress that are running Custap Berry right now which helps alleviate your team's weakness to hazards, and it's just generally a good move. You also shouldn't be running 4 HP EVs on it since that gives it an HP stat that's divisible by 4, which you don't want because it means you'll only be able to switch into Stealth Rock 3 times before it dies. Put those EVs into Def or SpD or something. I'm also probably the only one who's going to say this, but I like Extremespeed on DD Rayquaza. On a team I commonly use, I've gone back and forth between SDQuaza and DDQuaza and I eventually came to the conclusion, as you did, that DD is a better set overall but priority is too good to give up. However, I really think that you should run Overheat or Fire Blast over Earthquake on Rayquaza so that you can use him as an answer to Excadrill, who commonly runs Air Balloon and will pretty much be impossible to deal with if you don't break the Balloon before bringing in Rayquaza. Giratina and Arceus are also fine and don't really need to be changed.

One thing I don't get about Lugia, moreso even than the lack of Multiscale, is your decision to run Aeroblast over either Ice Beam or Dragon Tail. You could benefit so much more from running either of those moves than from running Aeroblast. They have more PP, they hit more pokemon in the tier for super effective damage, and they just generally fit your gameplan a lot better than Aeroblast does. My recommendation is to run Careful nature and Dragon Tail over Aeroblast on Lugia.

As for your spinner, I really think that Forretress is the best option. Your only other viable options are Espeon, Excadrill, Tentacruel, and Cloyster. Your team is already running several pokemon with Dark and Ghost weaknesses and it doesn't need something that can't actually set up hazards on its own, so Espeon is out. You don't have the rain support and Toxic Spikes aren't that beneficial beyond nailing CM Arceus (and Lugia can do that on its own), so Tentacruel is out. Cloyster could work, but it can't set up Stealth Rock and it shares weaknesses with Kyogre, which every team is prepared for, meaning it will likely get killed fairly easliy. Excadrill is a steel type who can spin and set up Rocks, but it's the most frail out of all of the options I mentioned, so it would likely be a liability to run. You can try any of these options if you want, but I really feel that no matter which of them you try, you'll end up going back to Forretress.

Team seems solid overall. Congratulations on the ladder peak.

The reason i dont have V-Create as a move is because even though it is a very powerful move with base 180 power, i dislike the Defense, SpD, and Speed drop. Also since i dont have a weather inducer, and rain is very common,

VCreate isn't even effected by rain because Rayquaza has Air Lock. If you're not going to run a weather you pretty much have to use Scarf Rayquaza. I've seen Scarf Kingdras a few times and you have to risk the speed tie because Rayquaza is pretty much the only thing that can stop the weather abusers without changing the weather.

Rayquaza @ Choice Scarf Trait: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- V-create

This is the set I've been using since I stopped using weather a few months ago. Draco Meteor is required because Omastar can tank an Earthquake/Outrage and Shell Smash in your face and then you lose. Earthquake beats Kabutops and Excadrill. Outrage beats Kingdra and it's also good for revenge killing other dragons. Outrage also works against nearly every Lati@s because most people don't expect a Scarfquaza and Ohkos are fun. V Create is for breaking steel types and it also beats Excadrill/the occasional Venusaur.

If you're going to run this Rayquaza set you might want to make Kyurem specs because two Scarfers isn't always the best. I hope this helps.

hi, thank you for your opinion. what ive done is this:

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Trait: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Dragon Dance
- V-create

Dont you think that DD might be a bit more useful for sweeping purposes as if needed you can switch up moves. The thing is that after a single DD,not only does it boost your speed (as a scarf does) but the attack is greatly increased. Eg. after a DD, an outrage does 55% to ferrothorn (2HKO's) o and yeah thanks for pointing the air lock ability out! :p

And what do you think about the rest of my team?

Dragon Dance is definitely better for sweeping but I can't ever get a DDquaza to fit on my team =(. My favorite part about your team is that it's weatherless. I've been using weatherless teams for a few months now because I like the challenge. I like how you used Arceus Electric as well because I don't see very many of those. It's a good team and your Pokes seem to work well together. The only thing I don't like about it is that it has three Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock. There are a few Pokemon that could give you trouble though.

I think Ferrothorn could possibly be a problem for your team because he can paralyze Rayquaza and do some good damage to Kyurem W with Gyroball but obviously your team can handle him. I think Darkrai is a big threat to your team because he can beat both of your walls. The Sub Nasty Plot set can pretty much destroy your entire team if he gets set up. Banded Zekrom is also a problem for your team because he can Ohko Lugia and Giratina with Outrage after they take hazard damage.

252Atk Choice Band Teravolt Zekrom (+Atk) Outrage vs 252HP/252Def Giratina (+Def): 90% - 107% (458 - 540 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 43% chance to OHKO.

252Atk Choice Band Teravolt Zekrom (+Atk) Outrage vs 252HP/0Def Lugia (Neutral): 68% - 81% (286 - 337 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

Rayquaza and Kyurem can both revenge kill him though so he shouldn't be able to break both of your walls.

Zekrom and Darkrai are the only big threats to you but your team is pretty prepared to take them out. Congrats on getting #2 on the ladder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)