The Single Battle Metagame (GBU)

lol actually I faced somebody that's greeting was, "Sorry, but CONNECTION is NERVOUS." Of course, I lost, so I didn't get to see if she'd actually D/C.

I'll probably change mine to be something about connections now that you mention it...

lol actually I faced somebody that's greeting was, "Sorry, but CONNECTION is NERVOUS." Of course, I lost, so I didn't get to see if she'd actually D/C.

I'll probably change mine to be something about connections now that you mention it...
I changed mine to "CONNECTION is actually WEAK." lol

Also, has anyone noticed how almost every Japanese player follows a "fad-phrase" for their greeting? Like twice (at different times), I've seen maybe ~20 Japanese people's greetings revolving around Garbodor, then another night they were all about Absol, etc..

Another interesting one:

"My HOBBY is HEROINE."

I find it funny how they have "Heroin" (Female Hero), but not the word "woman".

Another interesting one:

"My HOBBY is HEROINE."

I find it funny how they have "Heroin" (Female Hero), but not the word "woman".
Mine used to be "Want to trade HEROINE? Here's a hint: MONEY!" when I used to use GTS Negotiations, lol

Anyways, I like how gimmick sets/Pokés actually work most of the time.

That's one of the reasons I like Random matches; the gimmicks. Since the battles are shorter, it's harder to catch on before something does "too much" damage to your team.

Besides, I come from Serebii; I have to keep some of that "Smogon/Standard movesets are B.S." thought process.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT: Gimmicky success vs. 1000+ wins

[74-88678-44367]

Throh (N.N.: Judo Chop!) @Lefties
~Guts
~252 HP/252 spD
-Bulk Up
-Circle Throw
-Payback
-Attract (fer teh lulz)

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I EV trained an Audino for shits and gigs. But now I actually want to use it.

I was thinking Double-Edge, Wild Charge, Work Up and Flamethrower (Regenerator ftw). But I need something to pass Defense boosts to. Would Drifblim be good? I was thinking Jolly with Unburden @Flying Gem and Acro, BP, Stockpile and some filler move.

I used to use Driftblim for passing Stockpiles; it worked fairly well. You just have to be very cautious, because if you decide to Stockpile on the first turn as opposed to Acrobat-ing, then any strong attacker with high speed will only burst your bubble (/badpun) and inflict massive damage and potentially KO before you can BP out. If you do decide to Acrobat on the first turn, then you may not have good enough defenses on the first and second turns to get up a Stockpile (assuming you don't KO). Of course, this is all assuming you're going up against an attacker, not a wall.

In 4th gen, I used to run a similar set, however, I used the high-risk high-reward Chesto-Resto strategy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT:

Somebody, please tell me why Throh is such a professional.

[58-25016-13260]

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Just had a match against a Japanese where the VGC "self KO Clause" activated and gave me a win. The opponent had the upper hand on me for a while, knocking out Ferrothorn and Rotom-W, but was turned around when Blaziken took charge. However, Blaziken killed itself on the final turn (with Flare Blitz. I felt like hitting myself at that time since he could have avoided suiciding if I had HJKed one of the targets before it came down to Uxie), and the result screen showed up 0-0 with me winning.

Today's log wasnt interesting:
- Ran into a Mono Dark Team (person DCed)
- Faced a few "UU" teams
- Current record: 32-5
- Disconnect count: 8 -.-

- Ferrothorn seems to have disappeared (it still works well don't get me wrong). Only saw one out of my 37 battles.
- Garchomp is everywhere
- Rotom-formes are very common still. Wash is still the most common forme, but I've been seeing Mow, Heat, and in one instance, a Scarfed Fan Rotom...
- Weather user count:
Out of 37 matches (if it's seen in team preview, it counts)
- Tyranitar: 4
- Abomasnow: 4
- Politoed: 1
- Ninetales: 0

I EV trained an Audino for shits and gigs
Back then I faced an Expert Belt Audino with Fire Blast/Ice Beam/don't remember the other two moves, and Regenerator. It was annoyingly difficult to take out and nearly killed my entire team until Gliscor set up SD on another mon and prevented it from causing more mess.

Ive been using infernape....its fucking amazing! even without any special attack evs it still rapes shit. only problem is that every person i fight has a fucking latios who rofl stomps life with draco metor.

gliscor and wash rotom and being used WAAAAAAYYYY to much, neither of them are THAT useful (in my opinion anyway) and are all really prediactable. i will admit that gliscor with sub protect gillotine(spelling fail) and earthquake screws me over...rotoms just crap,well wash rotom is crap i havent seen ANY of the others.

shell break cloyoster @focus sash is cheap and irritating.
Nidoking has been a dissapointment so far, its just so slow...

final note: ferrothorn is...gone, i havent seen one in like forever! I used to use one but then came arcanine, whos an asshole but like starmie and gengar isnt overused to the point that i hate cant stand the sight of it.

I've been finding Terrakion a bit disappointing. He has so many common weaknesses that anything he can't OHKO spells doom for him. I've been using Fighting Gem over Life Orb though, so maybe once I switch it over, he'll produce a bit more.

One of the more unique and successful sets I've see is a Substitute-Disable Gengar. With so many physical Pokemon only likely to have one move to hit Gengar, it works quite well.

Just tried this today, 4 wins and 1 loss (although one of the wins was against a poor guy with level 20s), and it's pretty great. Mixed Thundurus has been doing incredibly. I've also seen three Scrafty and nearly got swept by one.

I also learned that my (lv. 37) Escavalier was doing so poorly because it doesn't bump up Pokemon below level 50 like with the aforementioned guy.

Green Thunder, I too got owned by Sash Shell Break Cloyster. If only I'd Taunted it like my gut said to...

Last edit to this post: My guess for a reason Ferrothorn is rare is because Spikes are somewhat less valuable in 3 v. 3?

I've been finding Terrakion a bit disappointing. He has so many common weaknesses that anything he can't OHKO spells doom for him. I've been using Fighting Gem over Life Orb though, so maybe once I switch it over, he'll produce a bit more.

One of the more unique and successful sets I've see is a Substitute-Disable Gengar. With so many physical Pokemon only likely to have one move to hit Gengar, it works quite well.
I used to use Terrakion as a sashed lead, and it worked pretty well most of the time.

Somethings I've noticed recently while playing:
- Less weather teams and more "good stuff" teams. It may be just me, but in the 40 battles I've played this past week, only 3 or so were against sand teams, 2 were against sun teams, and none of them were against rain or hail teams. Instead, I'm seeing a lot of Zoroark, Haxorus (one guy ran a counter-sash set), Darmanitan and, of course, Garchomp.
- A lot of gimmicks, mostly from Japanese players. One interesting gimmick was a Trick-Full Incense Gardevoir. My Terrakion missed a Stone Edge, and got tricked the Full Incense, which I had to look up to find out that it makes the holder go last. Things went downhill from there.
- OHKO Moves, again mostly from Japanese players. I swear, they can abuse RNG in battle somehow. Those Guillotine Gliscors/Gligars are ridiculous, and the players using them have high win records as well. One guy I faced had a poor team, but managed to come back with 3 straight Guillotine hits from his Gliscor.
- Oddly enough, I saw very little Latios and Rotom, and no Blaziken or Ferrothorn.

These are just my observations though I guess 40 battles isn't that much. Also, here's a rather hilarious battle I had:

54-24022-19959
The notable parts:
- Opponent overpredicts a Scizor switch in and Fire Blasts my Latios
- His Latios survives my Blaziken's HP Ice with ~1% HP, making the battle come down to a speed tie between our Latios'
- His Latios wins the speed tie only to miss with Draco Meteor, giving me the win

every other battle my opponent has a latios, every other battle i lose...
ciccinos tail slap misses more then stone edge....
all japenese people have hacked pokemon...
Ferrothorn is dead...
Zoroark is to popular and isnt all that good...
in game teams always disconnect...
good players always have boring teams...

: reasons i hate random battle. -_-

infernape has been doing pretty well. sadly,hes reallly weak without a life orb.

Somethings I've noticed recently while playing:
- Less weather teams and more "good stuff" teams. It may be just me, but in the 40 battles I've played this past week, only 3 or so were against sand teams, 2 were against sun teams, and none of them were against rain or hail teams. Instead, I'm seeing a lot of Zoroark, Haxorus (one guy ran a counter-sash set), Darmanitan and, of course, Garchomp.
- A lot of gimmicks, mostly from Japanese players. One interesting gimmick was a Trick-Full Incense Gardevoir. My Terrakion missed a Stone Edge, and got tricked the Full Incense, which I had to look up to find out that it makes the holder go last. Things went downhill from there.
- OHKO Moves, again mostly from Japanese players. I swear, they can abuse RNG in battle somehow. Those Guillotine Gliscors/Gligars are ridiculous, and the players using them have high win records as well. One guy I faced had a poor team, but managed to come back with 3 straight Guillotine hits from his Gliscor.
- Oddly enough, I saw very little Latios and Rotom, and no Blaziken or Ferrothorn.
Seriously? I am so out of the loop that I didn't know you can also abuse the RNG in battle. That's just very unfair if this is the case.

every other battle my opponent has a latios, every other battle i lose...
ciccinos tail slap misses more then stone edge....
all japenese people have hacked pokemon...
Ferrothorn is dead...
Zoroark is to popular and isnt all that good...
in game teams always disconnect...
good players always have boring teams...

: reasons i hate random battle. -_-

infernape has been doing pretty well. sadly,hes reallly weak without a life orb.
What do you mean they have hacked Pokemon? What did they use?

I see a lot of teams TTar/Excadrill and I always lose to it. I really need to find something to counter them.

@Green Thunder - Ironically, I faced someone who led with a Cinccino and disconnected after Tail Slap missed my Latios...and I agree that Zoroark is too popular.

@wDro - I don't know if it's even possible to abuse RNG in battle. However, the Japanese sometimes seem to have a substantial amount of luck, particularly with OHKO moves. There was also that VGC player last year who was incredibly lucky with Sheer Cold.

What do you mean they have hacked Pokemon? What did they use?
shiny *insert pokemon here* with perfect ivs (or near perfect with hidden power *insert type here*).

Rem;3553273[B said:
]@Green Thunder - Ironically, I faced someone who led with a Cinccino and disconnected after Tail Slap missed my Latios...and I agree that Zoroark is too popular.[/B]

@wDro - I don't know if it's even possible to abuse RNG in battle. However, the Japanese sometimes seem to have a substantial amount of luck, particularly with OHKO moves. There was also that VGC player last year who was incredibly lucky with Sheer Cold.
it wasnt me, i use uturn on latios, they scare me to much to risk a tail slap

@Green Thunder

How do you have so much trouble with Latios? It's relatively easy to "counter", anything faster with a SE move and it's GG. (Scarf Latios DM is set-up fodder in my case anyways.)

@Green Thunder

How do you have so much trouble with Latios? It's relatively easy to "counter", anything faster with a SE move and it's GG. (Scarf Latios DM is set-up fodder in my case anyways.)
ambipom, starmie, gengar, and cinccino are the only pokes i have that outspeed (gengar usually speed ties). tbh my horrible prediction is what makes them a problem for me, the ones i think have choice items dont and vice versa. i think try using blissey(who i havent seen in a LOOOOONNNNGGG time).

ambipom, starmie, gengar, and cinccino are the only pokes i have that outspeed (gengar usually speed ties). tbh my horrible prediction is what makes them a problem for me, the ones i think have choice items dont and vice versa. i think try using blissey(who i havent seen in a LOOOOONNNNGGG time).
Ah. That makes sense.

As for me, the biggest threats are:

-Vaporeon (assuming Conkeldurr isn't in use/fainted)
-Poison Heal Gliscor w/Sub and Guillotine (Assuming Nidoking is either fainted or Gliscor has a sub up when it comes in)
-TR Teams
-Volcarona (Darn you, Flame Body... Why must you /always/ burn Honchkrow?)
-Drizzle teams w/SwSw (Assuming they aren't low enough for Honchkrow's SP to KO.)
-Multi-ScaleNite (Something usually has to be sacrificed)
-(Occasionally) Speed Boost Blaziken
-Wobbufet
-My own over-predictions

Not a "huge" list per se, but one really can't counter everything on a single team.
By the way, a list of things that are fairly surprising:

-Ferrothorn, Chansey, and Blissey are non-existent
-Few Arons on SS teams
-Rise in UU teams
-In-Game teams are virtually gone
-Many more American players
-Getting easier to find a battle (Free Mode anyways)
-"Strategy" usually seems to fail for me (I.E. my Dual Screen team was successful, however, it hasn't done as well as my 6randompokesthrowntogetherandcalledateam-team.)
-P-2 is the premier wall
-Few Genies
-Terrakion, Virizion, and Cobalion are rare sights
-Kingdra is (usually) the only SwSw-er in existance
-Metagross is quite common
-Archeops has gone from "on every other team" to "a rare sight"
-Shell-Break Cloyster is less common
-No Smeargle
-No Baton Pass
-I'm still amazing at making lists.

shiny *insert pokemon here* with perfect ivs (or near perfect with hidden power *insert type here*).
minus the shiny part, I thought 99% of all competitive players use pokemon with perfect ivs because of RNG and Pokesav legal hacks.

i haven't played enough single battles recently and there are so many threats to consider. It's hard to make a team of 3 that checks for everything. Hmm.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
People do this all the time by RNGing lol

(and hacking)

But it really makes no difference

My threat list:
- Cloyster (if it sets up)
- Zoroark (JUST BECAUSE)
- Regenerator Teams
- Cursed Body Jellicent
- Thundurus

Ah. That makes sense.

As for me, the biggest threats are:

-Vaporeon (assuming Conkeldurr isn't in use/fainted) havent seen vappy that much this gen
-Poison Heal Gliscor w/Sub and Guillotine (Assuming Nidoking is either fainted or Gliscor has a sub up when it comes in) same here
-TR Teams They still exist!?...i need to play more
-Volcarona (Darn you, Flame Body... Why must you /always/ burn Honchkrow?) Agreed
-Drizzle teams w/SwSw (Assuming they aren't low enough for Honchkrow's SP to KO.) ive only seen 1,got raped by poliwrath...
-Multi-ScaleNite (Something usually has to be sacrificed)dragons are evil. Period.
-(Occasionally) Speed Boost Blaziken seen one azumarril with mystic water powered aqua jet raped it.
-Wobbufet never saw one
-My own over-predictions I think this applies for everyone

Not a "huge" list per se, but one really can't counter everything on a single team.
By the way, a list of things that are fairly surprising:

-Ferrothorn, Chansey, and Blissey are non-existent yes
-Few Arons on SS teams yes
-Rise in UU teams i see the same standard shit every day
-In-Game teams are virtually gone lol no!
-Many more American players lol no!
-Getting easier to find a battle (Free Mode anyways) YESYESYES!
-"Strategy" usually seems to fail for me (I.E. my Dual Screen team was successful, however, it hasn't done as well as my 6randompokesthrowntogetherandcalledateam-team.) very true,very sad.
-P-2 is the premier wall yeah, that basturd..
-Few Genies yes,
-Terrakion, Virizion, and Cobalion are rare sights and yes
-Kingdra is (usually) the only SwSw-er in existance ???
-Metagross is quite common true...but why?
-Archeops has gone from "on every other team" to "a rare sight"
-Shell-Break Cloyster is less common NONONONONO! a thousand times no!
-No Smeargle HOORAY!
-No Baton Pass meh
-I'm still amazing at making lists. you most certainly are.
comments in bold...like i really need to type that.

i seen more flareon then salamence....somethings wrong with that.

It's hilarious because right after I typed that list, I saw (and got raped by) just about every threat I listed, as well as seeing many of the pokes I said were uncommon.

And I also should have probably mentioned Eeveelution teams as overly common for how terrible they are, as well as Tauros as a threat (Damn you, Conkeldurr. I would have won if you hadn't flinched...)

It's hilarious because right after I typed that list, I saw (and got raped by) just about every threat I listed, as well as seeing many of the pokes I said were uncommon.

And I also should have probably mentioned Eeveelution teams as overly common for how terrible they are, as well as Tauros as a threat (Damn you, Conkeldurr. I would have won if you hadn't flinched...)
Tauros..........ive only seen 1....and that was two years ago on PBRs random battles.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)