The server has a big perception problem.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Unfortunately the JoinServer window (the one that shows the server welcome message) uses a JTextArea to display the text. That widget can only display plain text. The only way to change it, is if Colin implements a different widget in the main Shoddy Client. I cannot affect this window from the server.

Do something like Colin does with the Official Server when something is up.

! **** ! ! **** ! ! **** ! ! **** ! ! **** !
PLEASE READ ALL OF THE FOLLOWING!
! **** ! ! **** ! ! **** ! ! **** ! ! **** !

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
In my personal opinion, the welcoming message could use a tune-up in its design. As of now, we've got this:

This is a modified server created by DougJustDoug for the purpose of play-testing new pokemon created in the Smogon Create-A-Pokemon project. To load the new pokemon sprites, and for general information about this project, visit:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38360

Please use English in the main chat area.
Have fun!
This is probably a bit too long and bulky for the average newcomer to immediately look through. So, maybe put this at the top, instead:

If this is your first time on our modded server, please visit here for relevant information: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38360
It gets most of the the needed information out a bit faster, at any rate.

If it's really needed we could try to abridge the first paragraph a bit:

Modified server created by DougJustDoug to playtest Pokemon created in Smogon Create-A-Pokemon project.
And even though it's somewhat redundant, especially when paired with the rest of the rules:

English only in Mainchat. Have fun!
The "Have fun!" was added in because it's very decorative.

So, the abridged message ends up becoming:

If this is your first time at this modded server, please visit here for relevant information: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38360

Modified server created by DougJustDoug to playtest Pokemon created in Smogon Create-A-Pokemon project.

I dunno, it may help, or it may not. But streamlining things to make it readable for the short attention span couldn't altogether hurt.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
In my personal opinion, the welcoming message could use a tune-up in its design.
<snip>
So, the abridged message ends up becoming:

If this is your first time at this modded server, please visit here for relevant information: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38360

I dunno, it may help, or it may not. But streamlining things to make it readable for the short attention span couldn't altogether hurt.
I agree that is a better welcome message. I'll change it on the server. I've got some other new features I plan to make later that will also help solve this problem. But, right now, my top priority is getting Revenankh implemented.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
It is now possible to use HTML in the welcome message (you do not need to put your text in <p>...</p>, however), which might let you spruce things up, Doug. (See the Official Server's welcome message, for example.)

Java's implementation of HTML is a bit iffy but I am sure you are familiar with this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)