The Next Type (Current Types: Dinosaur, Light, and Space)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like dino too, but Archeops should be Dino/Flying IMO. And seconding removal of the Grass's weakness to Dino.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Does every starter need the retyping? I'm pretty sure Venus likes its good actually good typing than to cause its mega form to lose its best asset.
VenuSAUR just seemed like a good candidate for a retyping, but you make a solid point. Changed.

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Since Aggron was changed, what happens to its mega? It usually becomes just Steel, so I assume the same thing would happen here.

Also, I don't think it is too good of an idea to change a retyping just because of one or two posts. I mean, for now it's fine, since it's not playable yet, but once it is, I think there should be a council of some sorts to vote on major things (mostly retypings and the next type). There's still plenty of time, but just something to think about.

2 common weakness for 4 common resistances ?
ANOTHER weakness for the poor Grass & Bug ? and 4 effective types for 3 resists. And another resist to Fire and Steel ? Fire will become the perfect defensive type with resistances to Bug, Fairy, Dino, Fire, Grass, Ice, Steel !
Seems like flavor always comes before fairness and balancing. Alien, cosmic, LIght, Bomb Energy, Sound.. t least half of those will resist grass and bug AND have S.E on them.

Valmanway

Since Aggron was changed, what happens to its mega? It usually becomes just Steel, so I assume the same thing would happen here.

Also, I don't think it is too good of an idea to change a retyping just because of one or two posts. I mean, for now it's fine, since it's not playable yet, but once it is, I think there should be a council of some sorts to vote on major things (mostly retypings and the next type). There's still plenty of time, but just something to think about.
Mega Aggron will stay pure Steel, yes. I actually did like the ideas posted here, so I went along with them, but a council of sorts would be nice for decision making.

*Edit

Just so you all know, I changed it so Grass isn't weak to Dino.

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.
The following are Eevee's ideas on other Pokemon that might fit the Dino type:
  • Golem - Dino/Ground (not its prevos, those stay Rock/Ground)
  • Slowbro - Water/Dino (Slowking stays Water/Psychic)
  • Cubone/Marowak - Dino (they fit with the prehistoric theme imo)
  • Dunsparce - Normal/Dino (what the hell is that anyway?)
Just suggestions. What do you think?

Valmanway

The following are Eevee's ideas on other Pokemon that might fit the Dino type:
  • Golem - Dino/Ground (not its prevos, those stay Rock/Ground)
  • Slowbro - Water/Dino (Slowking stays Water/Psychic)
  • Cubone/Marowak - Dino (they fit with the prehistoric theme imo)
  • Dunsparce - Normal/Dino (what the hell is that anyway?)
Just suggestions. What do you think?
Not sure why Golem would be Dino, but I can definitely see Slowbro being Dino. Cubone/Marowak is a little odd, but not too out there. I'll think about it. And Dunsparce would be a land snake, credit goes to Dex.

EV

Banned deucer.
Not sure why Golem would be Dino, but I can definitely see Slowbro being Dino. Cubone/Marowak is a little odd, but not too out there. I'll think about it. And Dunsparce would be a land snake, credit goes to Dex.
Golem's head kind of looks dinosaurish lol. Cubone/Marowak are kind of like cave things with dino skulls. Dunsparce was just for variety (though its new type doesn't really do it any favors.)
I think Water/Dino is a baller type combo so I'm glad Slowbro might get it. He'll now resist Bug, Flying, and Dark and x4 resist Water. Only weak to Electric and Grass (normal water weaknesses anyway.)

Valmanway

Golem's head kind of looks dinosaurish lol. Cubone/Marowak are kind of like cave things with dino skulls. Dunsparce was just for variety (though its new type doesn't really do it any favors.)
I think Water/Dino is a baller type combo so I'm glad Slowbro might get it. He'll now resist Bug, Flying, and Dark and x4 resist Water. Only weak to Electric and Grass (normal water weaknesses anyway.)
Gonna have to say no to Golem. Cubone/Marowak I think I'll approve. Slowbro says hello to Talonflame.

Reactions: EV
What if Genesect were Dino/Bug? I mean it is a few hundred million years old, within the range. After all, if Aero, a pterasaur (an archosaur, but not quite dino) is on, then why not?

It'd probably be better named as ancient or something less... limiting?

In any case, type charting is not easy to do. There is a certain sense of balance needed.

This is the type chart from the Pokemon Red romhack known as Brown/Rijon region. It's... not very good.

It's bad... unbalanced and that 3x stuff makes me cringe... but it could always be worse.

This isn't some really old thing either, what with Fairy taking center stage.

Look at that light type. It's... bad. Terrible. 3 Immunities in BOTH categories. I don't think that worn out office clip of the many shouted "NO"s would do any justice. Wood is, however the worst with 7 SE hits offensively and defensively, Electric still doesn't get any more weaknesses. Flipside, Ice gains 0 resists and enjoys 3 new weaknesses. I hope you hated Magcargo, because now it enjoys yet ANOTHER quad weakness. IMHO, 2 4xs is the most any type should ever have. Ice/Grass gains 4x weak to Abnormal(seriously, that's a thing) and Wood (thanks Aboma)

Actually wood and abnormal are terribly done in general sharing 5 super effective types between them... and to any who ever thought ground/fight coverage or grass/water overlapped far too much...

Sound is also ONLY resisted by normal. Sound/Fight=Perfect neutral coverage unless you have a ghost/normal.

This is bad type charting 101... 102, and possibly even 301 and I know we're more advanced than that, which is another reason something being SE vs both bug and grass simultaneously is VERY bad. I'm glad it changed.

I'm sorry I went on a rant, but I hope this helps.

I mean no shame upon who worked ON the type chart, but they needed to work HARDER and think... would this be fun?

Last edited:
What if Genesect were Dino/Bug? I mean it is a few hundred million years old, within the range. After all, if Aero, a pterasaur (an archosaur, but not quite dino) is on, then why not?

It'd probably be better named as ancient or something less... limiting?

In any case, type charting is not easy to do. There is a certain sense of balance needed.

This is the type chart from the Pokemon Red romhack known as Brown/Rijon region. It's... not very good.

It's bad... unbalanced and that 3x stuff makes me cringe... but it could always be worse.

This isn't some really old thing either, what with Fairy taking center stage.

Look at that light type. It's... bad. Terrible. 3 Immunities in BOTH categories. I don't think that worn out office clip of the many shouted "NO"s would do any justice. Wood is, however the worst with 7 SE hits offensively and defensively, Electric still doesn't get any more weaknesses. Flipside, Ice gains 0 resists and enjoys 3 new weaknesses. I hope you hated Magcargo, because now it enjoys yet ANOTHER quad weakness. IMHO, 2 4xs is the most any type should ever have. Ice/Grass gains 4x weak to Abnormal(seriously, that's a thing) and Wood (thanks Aboma)

Actually wood and abnormal are terribly done in general sharing 5 super effective types between them... and to any who ever thought ground/fight coverage or grass/water overlapped far too much...

Sound is also ONLY resisted by normal. Sound/Fight=Perfect neutral coverage unless you have a ghost/normal.

This is bad type charting 101... 102, and possibly even 301 and I know we're more advanced than that, which is another reason something being SE vs both bug and grass simultaneously is VERY bad. I'm glad it changed.

I'm sorry I went on a rant, but I hope this helps.

I mean no shame upon who worked ON the type chart, but they needed to work HARDER and think... would this be fun?
For Genesect, that logic could apply to all fossil pokemon and Bug/Steel fits it too perfectly. Your idea was reasonable though.
The types should be limiting IMO since we're going to be adding more and we only have 721 pokemon to work with.

Hey, can you check these out?
  • Saur Shock 10 PP, 75 Power, 95% Acc., [Special] 25% chance to paralyze the opponent and 20% chance to flinch the opponent
  • Flare 5 PP, 40 Power, 100% Acc., [Special] +2 Priority +20 Damage for each stat boost the opponent has
  • Ancient Strength 20 PP, 90 Power, [Physical] 90% Acc., No extra Effect; Makes contact
  • Dino Lick 15 PP, --- Power, 100% Acc., [----] 70% chance to put the foe to sleep and has a 30% chance to do 100 - 200 damage; Makes contact
  • Prehistoric Trap 15 PP, 50 Power, 100% Acc., [Physical] Power doubles if the opponent switches (The opponent can't switch until the user switches)
  • Roar Bell 5 PP, 80 Power, 85% Acc., [Special] No extra effect
How do these sound? I thought of these off the top of my head, so they might not be all that good. They might have been suggested already, but I don't know. Thank you for reading!

Valmanway

Hey, can you check these out?
  • Saur Shock 10 PP, 75 Power, 95% Acc., [Special] 25% chance to paralyze the opponent and 20% chance to flinch the opponent
  • Flare 5 PP, 40 Power, 100% Acc., [Special] +2 Priority +20 Damage for each stat boost the opponent has
  • Ancient Strength 20 PP, 90 Power, [Physical] 90% Acc., No extra Effect; Makes contact
  • Dino Lick 15 PP, --- Power, 100% Acc., [----] 70% chance to put the foe to sleep and has a 30% chance to do 100 - 200 damage; Makes contact
  • Prehistoric Trap 15 PP, 50 Power, 100% Acc., [Physical] Power doubles if the opponent switches (The opponent can't switch until the user switches)
  • Roar Bell 5 PP, 80 Power, 85% Acc., [Special] No extra effect
How do these sound? I thought of these off the top of my head, so they might not be all that good. They might have been suggested already, but I don't know. Thank you for reading!
Saur Shock - Either get rid of paralysis or flinch, and it looks good.

Flare - We already have a Dino-type priority move. Any more would be excessive.

Ancient Strength - We already have an attack almost exactly like this.

Dino Lick - If this is going to deal fixed damage, then I can see this just being the Dino-type Seismic Toss.

Prehistoric Trap - I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'll think about it.

Roar Bell - We already have a move like this.

Some of these are good ideas, and I can see some of them working out. But I'll have to think about them.

dodrio seems like a good candidate on that score, especially seeing as it doesn't have wings so flying type makes no sense.

I was going to suggest Archeops but it might be better off as Rock/Flying to give it some distance from Aerodactyl. Maybe Normal/Dinosaur for Kangaskhan? I know it's not a dinosaur but it kinda resembles one.

Before talking about new Dino Pokemon, can we give the general idea of the type ? All the "Dino" Pokemon + all the fossils ? Then balance the type, then retype the old pokemon !

EV

Banned deucer.
Yeah I'd suggest Dodrio to be a Normal/Dinosaur type and Archeops a Flying/Dinosaur type, though still maintaining the Stealth Rock weakness.
Dodrio is kind of ostrich-y. Flying was built off birds (for the most part) so it makes sense to have it stay Flying. That being said, it would be cool to give Dodrio a niche because right now it's overshadowed by almost all the other Normal/Flying types. If it were Dino/Flying it would be slower than Aero/Arhops, but hit harder than Aero and be more reliable than Arhops.

Yes, let's nerf bug even more than it already is! And let's also give it Ice type weakness because it's obviously the worst type because of all of the weaknesses it has! Oh, and don't forget we need to make one of the already best defensive typings, steel, even better than it should be! Though the type sounds cool, you fucked up the type chart so badly. And 19 types is kind of stupid because of how perfect a number 18 is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)