ORAS OU The King of Kill Belly Drum chesnaught peaked #31 ladder 1804

explodingdaisies

What's the point of talking if nobody ever listens
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Welcome to my bulky offense team based around my favorite pokemon: belly drum chesnaught! The names are based off my favorite anime: Gintama. Please bear with the thread since I'm not used to posting >.<

Proof of peak

The team

First off I want to give a shout out to blazelatias and sonired who helped me while I was building this team

Here he is in all his shelly glory: chesnaught

Kintoki (Chesnaught) (M) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Overgrow
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Belly Drum
- Substitute
- Seed Bomb

I picked chesnaught since I love his design and he's 1 of only 2 viable mons that have access to belly drum and drain punch. The other being slurpuff. Now I know what your thinking: Belly drum Chesnaught?!?! OMG he's meant to be a tank, hes so slow etc. Yes he is but with the right support and effort he can shine. I was using bulletproof with stone edge over seedbomb and overgrow from luring in birdspam I opted for overgrow and seedbomb. I use 12 EVs in HP so that he can hit the 25% health mark and proc Salac berry after a sub and belly drum. The rest I poured into atk and speed. Here are some calcs of the explosive power he possesses

+6 244 Atk Overgrow Chesnaught Seed Bomb vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 370-436 (115.9 - 136.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 244 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 298-352 (99 - 116.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

+6 244 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 255-300 (85.2 - 100.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+6 244 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 177-209 (49.3 - 58.2%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO

+6 244 Atk Chesnaught Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 241-285 (72.1 - 85.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+6 244 Atk Overgrow Chesnaught Seed Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Altaria: 311-366 (106.8 - 125.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Now for my next mon I needed something to cover up some of chesnaughts weaknesses (bird spam). The best mon for that is heatran

Kyubei (Heatran) (F) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon

I chose heatran to be my rock setter since he has perfect synergy with chesnaught. Covering many of his weaknesses. The spread is basic 252 atk/spe with 4 in atk to give me a slightly higher chance to KO bulky talon. I run Stone Edge over say toxic is because I need him to lure talon in. With stone edge he has a 31% chance to OHKO bulky talon and guarantee OHKO on non-invested talon even with being timid. I ran flash cannon over earth power since I need something to deal heavy damage to clefable which is one of the bigger threats to this team.

Next up is my mega. Enter scizor.

Tsukuyo (Scizor) (F) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

I wanted a mega that was bulky but could also have the immediate power to deal damage. He's also my alternate fairy check and my primary wincon (one of the best wincons in ORAS imo) once his check are weakened/gone. With his bulk he can laugh off hits and set up SD then proceed to sweep. I opted for knock off over superpower since its more spammable with no drawbacks and utility and over bug bite since it has average coverage. Sonired and blazelatias gave me this spread over the usual bulky spread since the extra defense provides more cushion and therefore more setup opportunities for him.

Now I needed a keldeo and Yzard and mega venusaur check so naturally I chose Latias

Kagura (Latias) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

I chose latias since I was in need of a solid Yzard and keldeo check. I wanted to go with latios for memento and give one of my sweepers a good opportunity to set up but I opted for Latias with healing wish. It gives one my weakened sweepers another opportunity to come in. EVs are standard. 72HP to hit the 319 while max speed allows to speed tie with other 110 speed tier mons

Now I needed another bird spam check and also something with a bit more speed off the bat so I chose Raikou.

Takasugi (Raikou) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Calm Mind

With thunderbolt and HP ice raikou gets great boltbeam coverage. Mono electric typing makes him only weak to ground. Also an extra talon check and water check. I went with the CM over say specs mostly since I dislike being locked into a move as it leaves you susceptible to being set up on if you predict wrong. I chose volt switch over say extrasensory or shadowball for the momentum it grants me on the switch. Extrasensory would provide me with another way to check mega venusaur and alleviate some of the pressure from latias but the switch initiative was a bit too much to pass up on.

Now for my last choice I needed a ground mon that could keep me alleviate some of my crippling weakness to zardX so I chose lando-t

Sadaharu (Landorus-Therian) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 56 HP / 220 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

I went with the double dance Yache set since at +2 speed he can outspeed adamant excadrill in sand. Classic EdgeQuake coverage will hit almost all the meta for at least neutral damage. And even a neutral Earthquake from lando-t hurts alot, and at +2 deals massive damage. I was thinking of going with smackdown over stone edge for rotom-w and skarm as those are the usual switching to lando but the raw power from stone edge can't be ignored. I chose Yache since it'll let him outlive even an icicle crash from weavile and KO back with earthquake after LO recoil.

If anyone has any critiques or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

Edit: forgot threatlist

CharX is a big threat to this team once he sets up DD but then again most teams are charX weak lol.

Unaware Clefable. Earthquake can 2HKO with some prior damage but then clef will PP stall with wish and protect.

Taunt: with 4 setup sweepers Taunt can shut them down.

Last edited:

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
To better deal with bird spam, a scarf tran is more optimal, U can keep rocks or swap them for Earth power if you do change to scarf tran

Hello user: explodingdaisies

Your team is very offensive and I like how you use BD Chesnaught.

Since your team is very offensive and your Latias doesn't even have Roost, I feel like Mega Scizor sucks too much momentum out of this team. So, I recommend changing Mega Scizor into 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe and Adamant Nature with Swords Dance / Bullet Punch / Bug Bite / Superpower to match your team's momentum and offensive pressure. This is even better at sweeping and you can perhaps get past Heatrans thanks to the max speed.

Other than that, I personally like Earth Plate > Yache Berry on Landorus-T since it can give it amazing power to get past defensive teams that pack things such as Slowbro, Hippowdon, Ferrothorn, Chansey, Amoonguss, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)