The Jackal and Ape Together?!

The Jackal and Ape Together?!(OU RMT)

Introduction

So I've been wanting to do an RMT for a while, so when it came time for me to build my next team i thought it'd be the perfect opportunity to do one. This team has been doing pretty well, but it just doesn't feel complete, which is why I thought this would be the perfect team to put up. All ideas are appreciated!

Team At A Glance and The Building Process

So I was going to base this team off of the idea of a mix agility Lucario, but while i was researching, I found that Infernape was a better mix sweeper, but I didnt quite want to give up on using Lucario, so I decided to use both.

I chose to continue to use agility Lucario, but instead of mix i was gonna use a physical one, and i turned to Infernape to be my mix attacker. I knew there was a glaring weakness to ground already, so i knew i had to be careful with my team building. I knew that a Rotom would work well in this team, covering all but one or two weaknesses between my two fighters.

I don't really know why I use a normal Rotom, I could use one of the appliances, but normal Rotom is faster, so it can do it's job a bit more effectively. Because I pack Will-O-Wisp on it, a physical bulk is added, but i was still lacking in the special wall category, after testing quite a few water types to put into this category, I settled on Ludicolo, who is a great special wall that I've used previously in Uber's matches.

Now that I had all these put down, i knew i needed a steel, preferably one that could lay down rocks. I almost decided to use my lead Scizor that I've been using recently, but then I remembered Bronzong, which just turned out to be a poke that I had wanted to use for quite a while.

Bronzong is a great all around wall, and can set up rocks, so it was an added bonus. The only thing I needed was a lead, and it wasn't that hard of a choice. I went back to a lead I hadn't used for a while, Dragonite.

After taking some advice i decided to take out Rotom and Ludicolo (who I figured would probably be switched out anyways) and replace them with Rotom-C and Vaporeon. I'm using the same set for Rotom-C that I used for Rotom, and while I do miss the SubSeed from Ludicolo, Wish is pretty nice to have.

Here is the finished product.

In Depth

Dragonite@Life Orb
Inner Focus
~ Draco Meteor
~ Fire Blast
~ ExtremeSpeed
~ Earthquake
Quiet Nature
252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe

Dragonite is a reliable lead. Draco Meteor for stab, comes close to K.O.ing most leads, then using Extremespeed to finish weak things off. Fire Blast for the steels not named Heatran, and then Earthquake for heatran or fire types. Inner Focus is great for those Fake Out leads, ignoring the flinch and OHKOing or bringing them down to their sash. Dragonite get's most of the time at least one kill, machamp is a problem, but Draco Meteor does about 90% to it, letting something like Rotom to come in for the kill or Sub.

Bronzong@Macho Brace
Levitate
~ Trick
~ Gyro Ball
~ Earthquake
~ Stealth Rock
Sassy Nature
0 Spe IVs
252 HP / 84 Atk / 80 Def / 92 SpD

Bronzong just about always gets up rocks, and then my options open up. Earthquake is for those electrics that think they can switch in to Bronzong. Gyro Ball does a good chunk to a lot of pokes, and to pokes that can be a problem like Suicune, I've can trick the macho brace, stealing leftovers and crippling the other poke.

Rotom-C@Leftovers
Levitate
~ Substitute
~ Will-O-Wisp
~ Discharge
~ Shadow Ball
Timid Nature
252 HP / 68 Def / 188 Spe

I should of used this to begin with, but i just liked normal Rotom, but Rotom-C does the job better. I decided to keep the Defensive Sub set because it is just such a great set. Will-O-Wisp to cripple all those physical attackers that think they can switch into Rotom-C and crunch or Pursuit. Substitute is to block status and heal back HP from Leftovers. I put in Discharge over over Thunderbolt for that chance to paralyze, and Shadow Ball is there for STAB and to round off the coverage.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Water Absorb
~Wish
~Surf
~Protect
~Toxic
Bold Nature
188 HP / 252 Def / 68 Spe

Vaporeon was added over Ludicolo from advice, and it's worked very well. As much as i loved SubSeed, Wish is very valuable on my team. Coupled with Toxic and Protect causes some major stallage and makes Vaporeon a great wall. Surf is for stab and hits Heatran and the likes of Infernape for Super Effective damage. The Resistance to fire is also really helpful.

Infernape@Life Orb
Blaze
~ Hidden Power(Electric)
~ Fire Blast
~ Close Combat
~ Grass Knot
Naive Nature
64 Atk / 252 SpA / 194 Spe

The first "star" of the team. I decided on Nasty Plot MixApe because he is a great wallbraker. Fire Blast and Close Combat for STAB. Grass Knot is for those waters that try to switch in. Nomrally running Nasty Plot I found that most of my pokes cant handle Gyarados, so I decided to give this guy Hidden Power Electric to take care of the weakness, plus doing a good amount of damage to Salamence as well.

Lucario@Life Orb
Inner Focus
~Agility
~Crunch
~Close Combat
~Ice Punch
Adamant Nature
128 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 126 Spe

The guy that started it all. Agility Lucario is a great sweeper, beating Swords Dance's counters, and being able to out speed quite a lot of pokes. Close Combat is for the obvious STAB and wrecks quite a few pokes. Crunch is for Ghosts who switch in to take the CC, and Ice Punch is for Gliscor and Salamence. unfortunately Lucario has the same problem as Infernape in Gyarados. So I'm thinking about switching out Ice Punch for Stone Edge, which keeps my move to beat Mence, but loses my Gliscor coverage.

Conclusion

The main problem with this team is Gyarados, who I can now sort of check with Hidden Power Electric on Infernape. If you notice anything, please don't hesitate to tell me. Rates are very much appreciated!

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You say you use normal Rotom for speed, but what does that Rotom outspeed? I recommend simply using an appliance as they are bulkier, and have more power then regular Rotom. Also you may want to try Pain-Split on Rotom if you are going to use Sub. At this point you have attempted to combine a bunch of different purposes for Rotom trying to let it sub, sweep, and spread status, which I think spreads its moveslots to thin, so you should pick one set and just use it. Maybe Pain Split set with Will-o-Wisp over one the attacking moves if you still want it?

Quick Rate.

While reading this, I saw a glaring fire weakness and the only one that resists it is Infernape(not counting nite since leads die fast). Scarf heatran deals serious damage on this team, possibly sweeping and also Mixape would tear most of it apart. I suggest a Vaporeon to counter aforementioned threats and pass wishes onto your team that lacks recovery.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold
188 Hp/252 Def/68 Spe
-Wish
-Surf
-Protect
-HP Electric/Toxic

Wish support is obvious. Surf to beat infernape and heatran. The last move is preference. Gyarados is a problem and Rotom is the only one that can stop it reliably. Toxic helps kill of walls to help Infernape and Lucario sweep.

Good Luck.

You say you use normal Rotom for speed, but what does that Rotom outspeed? I recommend simply using an appliance as they are bulkier, and have more power then regular Rotom. Also you may want to try Pain-Split on Rotom if you are going to use Sub. At this point you have attempted to combine a bunch of different purposes for Rotom trying to let it sub, sweep, and spread status, which I think spreads its moveslots to thin, so you should pick one set and just use it. Maybe Pain Split set with Will-o-Wisp over one the attacking moves if you still want it?
as I said.. i didnt really know why i used lead rotom... i think it was mainly just for fun... i grabbed the defensive sub set off of rotom-c's analysis... so ill pick out one of the appliances and ill try that out..

EDIT: @Tyranitar
so would the idea be to use that vaporeon set over ludicolo?

also forgot ludicolo takes neutral from fire...

as I said.. i didnt really know why i used lead rotom... i think it was mainly just for fun... i grabbed the defensive sub set off of rotom-c's analysis... so ill pick out one of the appliances and ill try that out..

EDIT: @Tyranitar
so would the idea be to use that vaporeon set over ludicolo?

also forgot ludicolo takes neutral from fire...
Yes, ludicolo doesn't pack all the spe def to take fire blasts all day

"Faster" and less bulky than it's formes.
First, I don't even know what Rotom does in this team. It kinda feels like dead weight.
I don't know what can go in that slot, but I'd prolly replace it with SubSplit Gengar if you want a ghost:

Gengar @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spd/4 HP
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

This set also works great since it lures in Tyranitar, which is possibly pursuiting you. Lucario can switch in and set up Agility. Sub also means you aren't pursuit bait.

I'd also replace Rotom with one of it's formes if you insist on it. Rotom-H is a fantastic bulky Pokemon that can cripple physical attackers too.

I dislike special Infernape (aka "oh i beat blizzey!!!! then sweep is ruined becaz of 85% accuracy). I'd prolly go for a physical based set. Use Thunderpunch > HP Elec, and use HP Ice > Ass Knot so you are not Salamence fodder.
This is an old set I used not long ago, and it works quite nicely. I've seen quite a few Salamence going in to die to HP Ice.. (99.1% - 117.2% to mence with no SpA and -SpA nature)

Infernape @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Jolly
- Thunderpunch
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Now it means you can kill Gyarados (-1 TPunch VS offensive DD: 88.2% - 105.1%, VS bulky DD: 71.4% - 84.3% aka good chance to OHKO with SR.) HP Ice also deals nicely with damned things like Gliscor (88.1% - 104% on defensive Glis) etc. Mainly mence which comes in and setup fodders you and goes lololol at you as it DDs and KOs you with EQ. Flare Blitz nails defensive skarm too (79% - 93.4%) which means Lucario can sweep more easily with skarm dented.

Second you miss a scarfer, which is bad today (aka revenge killers). Choice Scarf Heatran / Jirachi are great revenge killers. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT SCARF ROTOM it's a horrible pursuit bait which is lol.

I in all honesty don't like that Lucario. That's all.
It seems an inferior SD Luke imo. Hell even CM luke seems better.

@Tyranitar
You get a +1 from me about Vappy, gives recovery. Ice beam can go on the last slot, I think vappy gets roar too but I never tested it or it's probably useless or something.
One thing though, 252 HP/252 Def lets it handle Mixape better.

Kinda tired so I think this would be it. I think I have some leftovers in this post so if something's out of place.

EDIT: Seems like you made the changes.. nicely done. I prefer tboly > discharge though. Bold nature too.

@BloodyRoutin
if you didnt notice my update...i siwtched rotom out with Rotom-C... while keeping the old set... it does just what that gengar does... except instead of recovery from painsplit, i opt for will-O-Wisp to cripple things like tyranitar and scizor...

Infernapes primary job isnt sweeping... its wall breaking.... and mence takes 34.4% - 40.5% from HP electric, with an extra 25% because of stealth rocks... but Infernape is special because if i want to go physical lucario is what i go to...

and i know i dont have a scarfer... but ive got enough bulky pokes where i can make up for it... plus lucario can take a neutral hit and set up an agility and can outspeed quite a lot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)