The Fysical Phitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lee, thanks for the input. By shitty I mean raining, I don't like getting soaked while running, it's very uncomfortable :P. Anyway I've been doing the routine for awhile, so I think I'm going to do a 3 mile run, but run faster than usual (or should I go for distance over speed?) for a start :P.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Pfhhht rain. 3 miles is a pretty good compromise between distance and speed so you should be fine with that. Generally speaking I'd say just do as much as you're comfortable with - and then do some more. ^_^

Anyway its been ages since anybody posted a progress pic so here we go. Gonna go with the back for a change though!

Quite pleased with the back of my arms, deltoids and other shoulder muscles look good too. Back is progressing nicely...I neglected it for such a long time and have just recently started giving a damn. Tan line on my neck really seals the deal too. xD

Well, one thing with abs that a lot of people don't mention is that they come easier for those that have a lot of muscle on their body (more muscle means more fat burning anyway). But generally as a skinny guy its all about diet and interval training (at least that's what I do). Generally the extremely skinny kids can feel ab definition around the stomach but have a thin layer of fat covering it from accumulating whatever junk food they've eaten in the past. It might take anywhere from 2-6 months for you to remove that fat via diet and interval training, but it is possible of course.

As for what interval training is, I'm pretty sure you can just google it. Its basically sprinting at a high speed to maximize your heart rate for a minute or so, then slowing down and jogging/walking for around 2-3 minutes. The idea is that it burns more calories overall during the day than a straight 30 minute jog at a specified speed. You repeat this circuit anywhere from 6-12 times depending on fitness level and stuff.

I train to be in fighting shape, even though I am not a boxer or MMA fighter. I do security, when I am in school it is often at my frat's parties and when out of school I do security at the local ampitheater.

My workout usually consists of such moves as rapidly palm striking and "shield slamming" a punching bag and deflecting and dodging attacks as well as focused strength training.

I do an exercise where I take a pair of free weights in my hands and alternate swiping across in front of me. A swiping motion is my main ranged attack since I can often circumvent my foe's guard with the attack. The exercise is very effective for pitchers in baseball as well, since my swipe attack uses the same muscles as pitching.

A "shield slam", is pretty much what it sounds like, except I'm not wearing a shield when I do it. It is a similar attack to a knight or a hoplite swinging his shield to strike a foe. After I manage to get a few good hits on my foe and get in range, the shield slam becomes my primary attack because the sheer impact force from it allows me to knock foes down or make them lose their balance. It also allows me to penetrate a precision guard by simply overpowering it.

An automatic tennis ball machine makes a great piece to improve your agility. Setting a couple to fire at you and dodging them is very effective, and you can also deflect them with your palms or forearms. Pitching machines shoot baseballs instead and may cause injury, and I highly recommend wearing a cup if you are male and attempt this.

I do something I call "commando sprints" for leg strength. It comes from the maneuver that a soldier or commando might use if he has to move behind a low wall while under fire. I duck my head and bend my knees as if trying to keep my head behind the wall and run short distances that way. For sprinters, fighters, and wrestlers, it works very well and requires a lot less time than other methods of leg strength training.

My strength training involves a lot of shoulder, back, and chest exercises such as lat pulls, butterfly lifts and using the weight machines. The idea is to get as much striking power and speed behind my swipe and shield slam as possible.

I have a feeling I've posted this here before...

http://www.tmuscle.com/readArticle.do?id=1526539

There seems to be a lot of exercise 'myths' being posted here by the more 'experienced' people. There is no spot reducing (doing crunches to lose fat from your stomach), cardio is not the most effective form of burning calories (and there is no magic 'fat loss zone'), and muscle doesn't appreciably burn more calories than fat. Fat loss is just a simple eat less and/or do more. Don't starve yourself or you'll mess up your metabolism and lose muscle. You can use a BMR calculator on the internet to see how many calories you need.

Lee

@ Thick Club
I don't know if you're referring to me as I haven't said any of the example 'myths' you've posted but I wouldn't be shocked at all if there were people out there who disagree with some of the things I've said because at the end of the day, fitness is a very personal thing. Everybody who has posted in this thread trains very differently and we should be encouraged to discuss what does and doesn't work for us, regardless of whether it checks out scientifically. It's the duty of anybody who accepts the advice to do further research. If people were looking for that kind of response, they'd just google it. The fact they're asking in this thread implies they'd like to hear personal advice, not just regurgitation from a bodybuilding website.

That said, I'm not going to argue that black is white. People should be checking their sources if they're posting something they claim to be definitive.

Lee, I don't know what is it, probably your stance, but you really remind me of a Hitmonchan...

Meh. School has started, and I don't have as much time to jumprope...well, I DO, but when I leave at 6 AM and I don't get back home until 6:30 PM at the latest, I don't really feel like going back at outside at 8 PM to jump rope. :( I'll do some skips this weekend, though. Last time I jumped, though, I did do more jumps (1050 two legged, 300 one legged [horrible, I know]), so despite my gaps, I'm seeing improvement. Or at least I'm pushing myself harder.

I've already decided that I simply don't have the willpower to go running by myself in my neighborhood. Too many hills, it's too hot, I don't really have true running shoes...you know, basic excuses. As such, I've resigned to signing up for the track team at my school. I know I won't be the best, but I don't really mind; this is more of a personal fitness thing than a drive to compete with others. I don't care if I get last at every meet; as long as my endurance improves, I'll consider it a worthwile endeavor.

Too bad track season doesn't start until next semester.

Edit: Shit, I didn't even notice those veins until I scrolled back up. O_o That is nasty, man. I'm envious.

Tuck jumps etc are also an effective exercise for burning belly fat
Maybe I just misinterpreted.

I'm just posting my thoughts because people coming here posting "I want abz, wanna look like Brad Pitt in fight club" don't really know what they want or how to get there. Many posts in here, not limited to one person, see cardio and ab stuff as the ultimate level of fitness. 90% of people at my gym do this every single time I see them, and they look the same as they did a year before and the year before that. And if you do succeed, you're a skinny-fat dude with a distended stomach.

People need to be educated on diet, mostly. There's no miracle exercise routine to achieve your goal; anything works if you've got a good diet, work hard, and incorporate lifting and cardio.

People ask questions in this thread: 99% of your goals can be achieved through the following: Eat better (this can mean both more or less, no matter if you are looking to lose fat and/or gain muscle), sleep, do work son. Don't come looking for a miracle routine. Experiment on your own. Go out and run, go to and gym and just lift heavy stuff. You can poopsock about stuff later.

TL;DR (NWS language)

Well, since im still really young(13.5) and the fact that ive barely started sports, im VERY weak. So weak that i can only bench a normal 45 lb bar. I just hope i can improve. I really want to build muscle as well. Haha this thread gave me some tips to do that too!

I made these today though they kinda hurt.

300 x 5 Squat
200 x 5 Front Squat
200 x 5 Bench Press

I'm taking a little over a week off though because I hurt my back at 290 on the squat and since I made 300 I don't wanna work through it anymore.

Also nice back Lee. Whats your bf around (mine is relatively high at 5'8' 181).

Lee

@ Thick Club
The Plant said:
Also nice back Lee. Whats your bf around (mine is relatively high at 5'8' 181).
Thanks, I'm not actually sure what bf is lol but I'm just over 5'6' and 161lbs (yeah, I know I'm a dwarf).

Tayleef said:
I'm just posting my thoughts because people coming here posting "I want abz, wanna look like Brad Pitt in fight club" don't really know what they want or how to get there. Many posts in here, not limited to one person, see cardio and ab stuff as the ultimate level of fitness.
I do share your disgruntlement at the newbie fixation on abs at the expense of everything else but I did say just a few posts ago:

Lee said:
honestly wouldn't focus too much on the abs...they're one of those things that will just come in time when you reach a certain level of fitness. You'll only end up demoralising yourself if you put them on a plateau. There are many other muscle groups that are far more important to overall fitness so make sure you keep it in perspective.

But to be perfectly honest, yeah, I do see cardio as the 'ultimate level of fitness' and that's a personal thing, I wouldn't say I've been ramming it down everybodys throat for 13 pages because I appreciate the value of the other components of fitness.

Tayleef said:
90% of people at my gym do this every single time I see them, and they look the same as they did a year before and the year before that.
Anybody who's coming to a gym to do cardio obviously doesn't have the right mindset about it anyway. That's probably our conflict here if your perception of cardio is idling on a treadmill or exercise bike for 2 hours because mine's a little more like 'put 50 lbs of weight in my bergen and sprint up and down a hill until I'm too dizzy to continue.'

And I don't think anybody has came in here looking for a miracle routine - most people seem to be showing a genuine sense of commitment in their posts but maybe that's just me.

But I do agree with most of what you're saying, other than your obvious bad childhood experience with cardio.

Lee your back is fucking huge. awesome.

i have been searching for my camera for the past two weeks so i can't post up my progress pics :(. i think my book case might have eaten it or something.

i also second not worrying too much about having an 8pack or whatever you are shooting for. the belly is the main area of fat storage for males and unless you are able to cut your body fat down to about 6-8% you wont have the cheese grater abs we all want. especially if you are trying to get bigger since you have to eat so much. that being said, long distance running is one of the better ways to burn fat, anything that jacks your heart rate up for at least 20 minutes straight will burn fat really well.

on a side note, speaking of running until your dizzy i managed to nauseate myself with a new 20 minute routine i made for myself. its definitely not for the weak of heart haha

I figured I was going to eventually post in the thread, and Lee told me to do it so I guess here I am posting.

Height: 6 feet
Weight: 201 lbs

I dislike myself so much. I started out my freshman year, which was August of last year, going poorly into the season due to my huge weight (mostly fat) gain. I found weightlifting something that I could do, and it was fun. Soccer took care of the running, and I was back in pretty good shape. Of course, I love food. Couldn't put it down, was not watching what I was eating. I went from losing my gained weight to gaining even more. This isn't good.

My wants:

- To lose this newly gained fat.
- To increase my speed and endurance.
- To increase my acceleration.

I also would like to increase my upper body strength. I have no access to a gym, so I must do body-weight exercises, I suppose. Anything you can give me would be great.

Also, I want to improve my diet. Right now I just eat whatever I can find, whether that be McDonalds or a BBQ Sandwich. I don't eat that heathily and advice on this would be great. Thank you so much again, to whoever replies. I cannot wait to get back to being healthy and fit.

Edit: Lol. Posted this at 10:10:10 PM.

First and most important: food. McDonalds food is bad in a fitness sense only because it has more fat to make it tastier, and therefore its a lot more calorie dense. However, fast food owns for putting on muscle. A few dollars for 100g+ protein (throw away bun/sauces if you're eating too many carbs)? hell ya

Everything in moderation, though. Caloric split of 40protein/40carb/20fat is a fairly healthy starting point for active people looking to put on muscle and not fat. Eat your veggies and beware of all the added sugar in stuff.

Speed and endurance will come as you lose weight and run more for soccer. Just work hard.

You say you don't have a gym? You didn't say if you were in high school or college, but I'm sure you could use their gym. You'll make much better progress if you can lift heavy stuff. Whenever someone mentions acceleration, my mind always leaps to Olympic lifting. Just something to look in to.

Tayleef: decent comments but don't forget that heavily processed food like McD's has a lot of random crap in it that can REALLY throw you off if you eat it more than once or twice a week. Eat REAL food - if you want burgers, at the very least get 'em from a grill shack. One you know doesn't fry rats. :p

I haven't posted in here yet, but I'm about 5'10", about 150lbs, and trying to gain. So far so good, but I've been having shoulder and hamstring mobility problems in my lifting, and got hurt. It sucks. I'm in the process of working it out though, but it's a long haul. I feel lazy because I'm healing. :(

No pics because honestly? Scrawny chest. Still working it, my max bench is only like 130. Sucks. Once my hip heals I'm gonna push hard to hit that 200 squat though.

dude, dont eat fast food. yeah its cheap but it is so bad for your body, even if you are working out. you are better off eating nutrient and calorie packed food that doesnt have all the shit they inject into fast food.

right now i eat a ton of tuna, milk, eggs, whole grain bread and a lot of water basically. i have chicken breast at least twice a week and have a salad made of dark leafy greens and tomatos with every meal.

i would really recommend tuna actually. if you buy the little tins (which you shouldnt, the huge ones at costco are waaay more cost effective) each one has 22g of protein and is only 100 calories. i just mix in a bit of sweet relish and call it good. i usually have some before and some after each workout. (i'm seeing how well i can do without supplements haha).

healthy meals are really easy to make if you know where to buy the food. if you have any of those dollar stores (where i live they are called the Dollar Tree) you can get most of the stuff you need for super cheap.

on a side note, i have recently been doing yoga for my cardio training (i still run of course :P) and its actually really fucking hard. i am currently using rodney yee's power yoga dvd and am sweating like a stuck pig after 10 of the dvds 60 minutes. i have been at it for the last month and have noticed some serious gains in my flexibility and strength where im fully extended or at a weird angle. if you are fat or just plain dont like running/ other cardio work i would definitely recommend giving yoga a shot.

First and most important: food. McDonalds food is bad in a fitness sense only because it has more fat to make it tastier, and therefore its a lot more calorie dense. However, fast food owns for putting on muscle. A few dollars for 100g+ protein (throw away bun/sauces if you're eating too many carbs)? hell ya

Everything in moderation, though. Caloric split of 40protein/40carb/20fat is a fairly healthy starting point for active people looking to put on muscle and not fat. Eat your veggies and beware of all the added sugar in stuff.

Speed and endurance will come as you lose weight and run more for soccer. Just work hard.

You say you don't have a gym? You didn't say if you were in high school or college, but I'm sure you could use their gym. You'll make much better progress if you can lift heavy stuff. Whenever someone mentions acceleration, my mind always leaps to Olympic lifting. Just something to look in to.

I am in high-school, and they do have a gym. It is for football players only, though. No other sport, besides baseball during the last 6 weeks of spring I believe, is allowed to use it and the students are forbidden.
Yes I go to a private school.

Anyway, we don't run much in soccer, our coach is all about technique so we do mostly drills for improving technique. This is why I must run on my own. What kind of running can I do to improve my speed and endurance, though?

do hill sprints and run up and down stairs (we always used the bleachers on our field) for explosiveness/ speed. running long distance will get your endurance up. when i run long distance i like to start out at about 50% of my max speed and take it up to ~75% in the first mile. then i run at 75% for 200 yards and sprint 100, then back down to 75% for 200 then sprint the next 100 etc. i built my endurance back up (after i tore the ligament in my knee :( ) much quicker than i would have just running this way

do hill sprints and run up and down stairs (we always used the bleachers on our field) for explosiveness/ speed. running long distance will get your endurance up. when i run long distance i like to start out at about 50% of my max speed and take it up to ~75% in the first mile. then i run at 75% for 200 yards and sprint 100, then back down to 75% for 200 then sprint the next 100 etc. i built my endurance back up (after i tore the ligament in my knee :( ) much quicker than i would have just running this way
Thanks, this sounds really good. Would running on a track work for long distance or should I find another place?

i like using the track for a few reasons. first it is really easy to measure distances, second its free to use and is almost always available and third its better on your joints than running on pavement. tracks are made of rubber and therefore give a slight amount when you run on them causing less strain on your knees, ankles and hips

i like using the track for a few reasons. first it is really easy to measure distances, second its free to use and is almost always available and third its better on your joints than running on pavement. tracks are made of rubber and therefore give a slight amount when you run on them causing less strain on your knees, ankles and hips
Thank you very much. This thread has been very helpful. I will probably assemble some sort of workout and post it within the next few days and allow you all to look over it, if you would, while also adding or taking away what seems right. Thanks again.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
we have cereal oats in our house and i tried some today after discovering that they, in a sense, help burn off stored fat. is this true?

Whole grain cereal and oats have complex carbs and fiber. Complex carbs and fiber keep the insulin levels low. When insulin levels are high the body is sent a message to store fat. Oatmeal takes longer to break down resulting in low insulin levels and the body burning calories.

so in a way, a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)