The Everything NFL Thread - 2009

it's all semantics DM

obviously the vikings probably would have won without all those turnovers, but the fact is that they DID have all of those turnovers and thus did not play well enough to win. you can't just ignore the turnovers and look at the total yards stats and say "oh, the vikings obviously played better" because turnovers are so fucking important. stop making excuses.

Again, im not making excuses.... I realize we lost, but anybody watching that game can see the Vikings were outplaying the Saints. If the Vikings win the coin flip, or Superstar Farve doesnt go back to old Brett and they win then nobody would be saying anything... Yes, turnovers are imporant and reflect bad play, but the Vikings held the best offense to under 300 yards and forced the best offense to punt it 7 times. My whole point is that you can outplay a team and lose, but nobody seems to realize this lol

Again, im not making excuses.... I realize we lost, but anybody watching that game can see the Vikings were outplaying the Saints. If the Vikings win the coin flip, or Superstar Farve doesnt go back to old Brett and they win then nobody would be saying anything... Yes, turnovers are imporant and reflect bad play, but the Vikings held the best offense to under 300 yards and forced the best offense to punt it 7 times. My whole point is that you can outplay a team and lose, but nobody seems to realize this lol
This..

The saints certainly didn't outplay the vikings.. but the season is over with. So who cares? =/

Maybe Saints will sign him for the hell of it? After all, he and Brees are good buddies, would be fun to see them on the same team again.

I haven't really been following the NFL news since the Superbowl, why would SD let him go? Couldn't justify his salary with his diminished numbers this year?
Pretty much. That and of course, he's now over 30, which makes him ancient in NFL standards apparently, so there's the whole risk there of him getting more injured over the next seasons.

anyone hear anything about julius peppers yet?

i dont know many teams really in need of a RB, so LT might not end up with a team that has a shot at a ring, like he said he wanted.

BGrifter, apparently the Chargers just really, really want to not win a Super Bowl, seeing as they let their other talented running back go! Teams like Cardinals or the Patriots should be drooling over picking up either if salary could work out.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Why does everyone keep saying the Pats should pick up LT? Is it because they pick up every single other garbage, old, washed-up player that goes across the UFA wire? Is it because they have become the team where old players go to die?

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
LT is not garbage, and he has some good years left in him if he gets behind a solid O-line like New England or Indianapolis. What most people haven't realized is that the Chargers O-line has declined a bit in performance over the last few years, and is not opening up holes for LT like it used to. I think a team with a good O-line like Indy, NE, or even the Saints would do well to pick up LT.

On running backs, I also predict Willie Parker will be let go by the Steelers pretty soon since (I believe) his contract is up. He also has several good years left in him, and could flourish in an environment where the line is actually doing work for him. Perhaps LT or Parker could end up in Philly if Westbrook retires?

EDIT: Holy shit, the Jets got rid of Thomas Jones? Are they insane?

eh i don't think there's that much of a difference between LT and Thomas Jones. Jones is probably on his last legs. could do well splitting time with someone but seeing how well he performed last year, he's probably not going to settle for that...

and yeah, parker should be released soon.

Because the Patriots are always willing to try and roll the dice with guys they know can do some more work, DM? They picked up Corey Dillon and he did nicely enough.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, and for every Corey Dillon (average RB performance), there is a Fred Taylor (mostly ineffectual) or Joey Galloway (lol).

the chargers let go of both LT and sproles. lol.

mcnabb trade talks yet again? why is it always mcnabb in that conversation?

Any reason why the Chargers are picking now to start blowing up the team? I mean, they were pretty much only a corner away from getting to at least the championship round.

And the Jets were smart to cut Thomas Jones. The only reason he's been performing the way he has is because of the Jets O-Line. Which - as long as Faneca and Woody hold up - could possibly make Shonne Greene into a 2000 yard rusher. Or something closer to Michael Turner's 2008 form.

Also I hope Marshall gets signed to a good team. McDaniels wants to paint him as some kind of sociopath. I hope he gets out and shines (He's actually a really good guy).

Though the Jets O-Line is very good, Thomas Jones is nowhere near useless. What was his salary for the '10 season? And you are going to put the load on the back of Shonn Greene and Leon Washington? I just don't see the rushing attack as efficient, and it needs to be, because QBs tend to struggle in their second years as well.

Shonn Greene is not going for 2k, there is absolutely no way. You have to be REALLY special to do something like that.

My favorite team is Atlanta, and injuries decimated our year. I hope we can take the NFC South crown back from the Saints, whom I have hated more than any team for many years. Of course, the year all of the experts picked us, they win the Super Bowl -.-

Though the Jets O-Line is very good, Thomas Jones is nowhere near useless. What was his salary for the '10 season? And you are going to put the load on the back of Shonn Greene and Leon Washington? I just don't see the rushing attack as efficient, and it needs to be, because QBs tend to struggle in their second years as well.

Shonn Greene is not going for 2k, there is absolutely no way. You have to be REALLY special to do something like that.

My favorite team is Atlanta, and injuries decimated our year. I hope we can take the NFC South crown back from the Saints, whom I have hated more than any team for many years. Of course, the year all of the experts picked us, they win the Super Bowl -.-
I too hate the Saints, but that chant is fucking catchy hehe.

The Falcon's season was also ruined by Matt Ryan's sophomore slump, Turners terrible start and injuries, and bad pass defense in the middle of the season. The only thing I would worry about is the pass defense. Maybe pick up Darren Sharper (he's a free agent now right?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)