The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanna see Bridgewater,Carr,and Bortles improve next year. Vikings,Jags,and Raiders need to draft them weapons to truly see the young QB's potential.
On the other hand I predict Winston will be the flop of the draft. Mariota will be the next Russell Wilson.He'll fall way back in the draft but will end up as the best pick

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Colts should not void Richardson's contract because his wife had pregnancy complications or whatever. They should void his contract because HE SUCKS AND ISN'T WORTH EVEN KEEPING ON THE PRACTICE SQUAD.

Why are they making it so complicated and dramatic? They literally have a perfectly good and defensible reason to drop him already without that stuff.

Also Brad Wing for best punter because 1) Australian and 2) last name is Wing ffs

Colts should not void Richardson's contract because his wife had pregnancy complications or whatever. They should void his contract because HE SUCKS AND ISN'T WORTH EVEN KEEPING ON THE PRACTICE SQUAD.
Agreed. I just hate how this was overexaggerated. Honestly, it's not a big deal. Typical Patriots fans look for something to be mad at the Colts for(2006 AFC championship aside) D'Qwell Jackson ,though, is a serious issue.

Why are they making it so complicated and dramatic? They literally have a perfectly good and defensible reason to drop him already without that stuff.
the issue is that it's $3+ million in guaranteed money that's being voided, aka money that would be paid to him if the Colts were to just drop him.

it's easy to view the situation as the Colts looking for a reason to suspend Richardson for something minor, then abusing the wording of his contract to void it simply because he's been terrible for them. that's not necessarily the case, but from the outside it seems pretty scummy.

Winston is far from a polished product himself. Everything is pointing toward him being a massive bust.
this is pretty ignorant, considering that without the character issues he's probably the #2 or #3 QB prospect in the past decade after Luck + RG3/Newton/Stafford.

and let's be honest, no one can fairly say anything about Winston's issues because we don't know the entire story for anything he's done. he's a dumb kid that's made some dumb mistakes, but that doesn't mean he can't grow up and play in the NFL.

they're hyping up this dez bryant video like its a new album or something
I haven't seen a source for this that wasn't the equivalent of TMZ, so I wouldn't expect the "rumors" to be true (but am prepared to eat my words :toast:)

Do you guys think Dez Bryant,Randall Cobb,DeMarco Murray and Demaryius Thomas will go anywhere else? If so then where? Biggest free agents of this coming season
Murray is most likely to leave (Cowboys can't afford him and Dez), followed by DT (Manning might command too much of the salary cap if they don't restructure).

the Packers desperately want to keep Cobb, but if he doesn't sign soon and decides to "test" the FA waters, he'll be as good as gone.

this is pretty ignorant, considering that without the character issues he's probably the #2 or #3 QB prospect in the past decade after Luck + RG3/Newton/Stafford.

and let's be honest, no one can fairly say anything about Winston's issues because we don't know the entire story for anything he's done. he's a dumb kid that's made some dumb mistakes, but that doesn't mean he can't grow up and play in the NFL.
You can't just throw out the character issues then call me ignorant for it. It is what it is. Also, if you've watched him, his decision-making (football-wise) needs work. All things considered, that's a huge risk if you're an owner trying to use the top pick in the draft to get a prospective franchise QB. Nobody's denying he has the talent to be taken #1 overall, and of course he could change his ways, but those risks give him significant bust potential, no?

your post literally said "everything" points towards him being a bust. character issues are just one of the demerits on a list of cons that are probably far outweighed by the list of pros in Winston's case.

my point was not that Winston doesn't have issues (he does, but whoever interviews him/the FSU coaches/his teammates while scouting him over the next two months will know a lot more abou that than I do), my point is that all things considered he is still a pretty damned good prospect that shouldn't be written off because he's maybe a bit over the top crazy.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think we're overestimating Winston's talent here a bit. Or, rather, we're underestimating the talent level of most big school QBs coming out of college. Almost every QB that gets drafted into the NFL has the "talent" to become a star, but so few of them actually make it. Talent is only a small piece of the puzzle, whereas character and work ethic are vastly more important. Granted, character and work ethic WITHOUT talent won't help you much either, but I believe you have a better chance to be a star with average talent and excellent character/ work ethic than you would if you had excellent talent and average work ethic/character. Jameis Winston, like most hyped draft prospects, is loaded with talent. But his character and work ethic are abysmal, and that is a clear recipe for bust in the NFL. Find me a QB in the NFL past that had bad character and poor work ethic yet still was a superstar and I'll gladly rescind my statement. I won't have to do that because there literally has not been a single one.

tl;dr - Winston needs to change his character and work ethic before he can have a legit shot in the NFL. He'll certainly get drafted, but he's not worth the #1 pick at this point in time.

I think we're overestimating Winston's talent here a bit. Or, rather, we're underestimating the talent level of most big school QBs coming out of college. Almost every QB that gets drafted into the NFL has the "talent" to become a star, but so few of them actually make it. Talent is only a small piece of the puzzle, whereas character and work ethic are vastly more important. Granted, character and work ethic WITHOUT talent won't help you much either, but I believe you have a better chance to be a star with average talent and excellent character/ work ethic than you would if you had excellent talent and average work ethic/character. Jameis Winston, like most hyped draft prospects, is loaded with talent. But his character and work ethic are abysmal, and that is a clear recipe for bust in the NFL. Find me a QB in the NFL past that had bad character and poor work ethic yet still was a superstar and I'll gladly rescind my statement. I won't have to do that because there literally has not been a single one.

tl;dr - Winston needs to change his character and work ethic before he can have a legit shot in the NFL. He'll certainly get drafted, but he's not worth the #1 pick at this point in time.
Super Bowl Champion Legarrette Blount: Punching a dude in the face>Stealing Crab Legs
Lol but you do have a good point.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

One of the major pluses to signing Winston is is huge potential. Mariota has focused on being a QB since high school and has spent every off season perfecting his skills. Winston on the other hand spent his off season playing baseball. I honestly hope that Winston doesn't get drafted by a team that needs a QB right now, he needs a bit more time to perfect his game unlike Mariota who already has his game figured out and just needs to adapt to the pro level.

but yeah work ethic is one of the main things that turns top picks into stars.

Michael Vick

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
JackTheGordie and some hero - Neither of those two players are what I would consider "superstars". They've seen some success, but it wasn't prolonged and it certainly wasn't amazing in any way. I don't know if you intended it this way, but your examples actually further bolstered MY point. LeGarrette Blount is pretty much a textbook example of where boatloads of talent can be absolutely wasted by a lack of character. The guy has played for three different teams (one of them twice), and only got the Super Bowl ring through sheer luck.

Leonard Williams to the Jags and i'm happy.

Someone said Jags need to draft weapons for Bortles? They did that. Those weapons just need to develop.

Everything hinges on Bortles developing.

Also i do not want to talk about punters.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
yeah I can't even pretend to ironically hype up some random ass punter... Maybe I could do it for "best linebacker corps" "best dtackle" hell even "best left tackle" or some bs... But punters? Fck that noiz.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Find me a QB
Clearly some people are not reading :(

You can get away with a little more at other positions, especially WR. Randy Moss and Terrell Owens were other character cases who turned out to be stars, but they weren't QBs. It's much more important when you're the team's leader.

EDIT: Stallion I think I laughed a lot harder than I should have at your post, hahahaha

Last edited:

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Leonard Williams to the Jags and i'm happy.

Someone said Jags need to draft weapons for Bortles? They did that. Those weapons just need to develop.

Everything hinges on Bortles developing.

Also i do not want to talk about punters.
We have the weapons. There has also been talk of attempting to get Justin Blackmon back, which would be amazing because its a low risk possibly high reward scenario. If he still has problems the Jags lose very little if they get him back now, so I really think Blackmon can be a key for Bortles to develop. At the receiver position in general, the talent is there. Allen Hurns has a very high ceiling, when he isn't dropping balls he has the combination of speed, quickness, and instincts to get open when needed while maintaining a deep threat. His instincts are what impress me, to be honest, because he has really good receiver reactions (such as the "stab" catch). Marquise Lee can be dynamic, although he is a bit undersized. When he learns to run through arm tackles and get his feet untangled from defenders, he has the talent to be a major factor in the offense. He does need to work on his route running and getting open, however. The Jags do lack a true No. 1 receiver at the moment, which will hinder bortles for the time being. If blackmon comes back, however, goodbye to that. Also important is the Tight End position, where an upgrade to Lewis is needed. Lewis can be a great tight end, he has power and good hands (most of the time), but we need a guy who will be consistent with similar attributes. Lewis reminds me a lot of a slightly slower, more powerful Antonio Gates when he is playing well.

The Jags significantly need a back to complement Denard Robinson, and while Storm Johnson could develop its hard to forsee him being a nice counterpart. A Todd Gurley in the second round (he could very well slip that far) would do wonders for the offense, although bolstering the OL is top priority.

Like you said, It hinges on bortles developing, however that could be significantly hindered without a #1 receiver, or hugely bolstered if Justin Blackmon returns.

Leonard Williams would be nice, but I would love to trade back and pick up some OL or maybe even an Amari Cooper if Blackmon doesn't come back. Granted you can't guarantee trading back, but Williams has the comparisons enough to get the attention. If he shows as good as he has been in workouts, as well as how well he has played on film, I would definitely want the JJ Watt type lineman. I am not too concerned with the DL, however, because in fact they look very good. The secondary is young and developing (plagued by injuries last year), and the DL couldn't stand out, but they already have solid depth, speed, and size, the big 3. Williams could put the group over the top, but there are other needs that should be filled first, such as RB, OL, And FS / CB.

You're a Jags fan, I daresay you'd be more qualified to talk about punters and the art of punting in general than most of us here.
Well I can talk about our punter, Brian Anger, who is absolutely ridiculous. I wish they didn't try to change his technique, because when he just goes after it he easily booms off 50+ yard punts. He had more 60+s than Ive ever seen out of one punter in a season, regardless of how often the team was punting. That man is a weapon.

You're a Jags fan, I daresay you'd be more qualified to talk about punters and the art of punting in general than most of us here.
you missed the joke.

We have the weapons. There has also been talk of attempting to get Justin Blackmon back, which would be amazing because its a low risk possibly high reward scenario. If he still has problems the Jags lose very little if they get him back now, so I really think Blackmon can be a key for Bortles to develop. At the receiver position in general, the talent is there. Allen Hurns has a very high ceiling, when he isn't dropping balls he has the combination of speed, quickness, and instincts to get open when needed while maintaining a deep threat. His instincts are what impress me, to be honest, because he has really good receiver reactions (such as the "stab" catch). Marquise Lee can be dynamic, although he is a bit undersized. When he learns to run through arm tackles and get his feet untangled from defenders, he has the talent to be a major factor in the offense. He does need to work on his route running and getting open, however. The Jags do lack a true No. 1 receiver at the moment, which will hinder bortles for the time being. If blackmon comes back, however, goodbye to that. Also important is the Tight End position, where an upgrade to Lewis is needed. Lewis can be a great tight end, he has power and good hands (most of the time), but we need a guy who will be consistent with similar attributes. Lewis reminds me a lot of a slightly slower, more powerful Antonio Gates when he is playing well.

The Jags significantly need a back to complement Denard Robinson, and while Storm Johnson could develop its hard to forsee him being a nice counterpart. A Todd Gurley in the second round (he could very well slip that far) would do wonders for the offense, although bolstering the OL is top priority.

Like you said, It hinges on bortles developing, however that could be significantly hindered without a #1 receiver, or hugely bolstered if Justin Blackmon returns.

Leonard Williams would be nice, but I would love to trade back and pick up some OL or maybe even an Amari Cooper if Blackmon doesn't come back. Granted you can't guarantee trading back, but Williams has the comparisons enough to get the attention. If he shows as good as he has been in workouts, as well as how well he has played on film, I would definitely want the JJ Watt type lineman. I am not too concerned with the DL, however, because in fact they look very good. The secondary is young and developing (plagued by injuries last year), and the DL couldn't stand out, but they already have solid depth, speed, and size, the big 3. Williams could put the group over the top, but there are other needs that should be filled first, such as RB, OL, And FS / CB.

Well I can talk about our punter, Brian Anger, who is absolutely ridiculous. I wish they didn't try to change his technique, because when he just goes after it he easily booms off 50+ yard punts. He had more 60+s than Ive ever seen out of one punter in a season, regardless of how often the team was punting. That man is a weapon.
i agree with most of this obviously, but you forgot Allen Robinson, who i think really could be a #1-type guy. big, strong, makes contested catches. obviously Blackmon would be huge for the team in general, but i treat that possibility like the Jags are: a luxury not to be counted on. reports seem to be pretty positive though, and there seems to be a good chance he suits up at some point this year. hopefully he's maintained himself through all the rehab. a pass-catching TE is absolutely a must-get, but i think they'll try for Julius Thomas or Jordan Cameron instead of the draft. Lewis is an Elite blocker, and showed promise as a weapon, but his hands but be bricks because he can't seem to hang on to anything. not a good trait for a 6'6 guy you throw it up fro them to make a play on.

as far as RB, i haven't written off Gerhart completely. when he got blocking he showed promise, but that happened very little and he got hurt. Todman also showed spurts of good things. i think the Jags have needs far more pressing to go RB in the 2nd...but i trust Caldwell and if he sees a star and wants Gurley, i won't bitch too much. sadly, i don't think Storm will be on the team next year unless he can develop on special teams.

while trading down always talked about, it seldom happens. if there is a guy worth trading up for, a guy you like, just take him. trading needs a partner, and there's probably not going to be a QB left at #3 a desperate team might pay for. the Jags DL was solid-to-good the second half of the year, but Marks going down is a big blow. its my opinion you can never have too many pass rushers, and its an area thats been a glaring weakness for so long that it made this year seem surreal as fuck, and it was with a bunch of "solid" guys, not elite.

and i really hate talking about Anger. he's not versatile. sure he can boom the ball, but he outkicks the coverage most of the time and it gets returned. he can't adjust for field position, he just kicks the shit out of it. when this team actually starts moving the ball with regularity, there won't be room on the field for a 60 yard punt. but mostly i don't like talking about him because he was a third fucking round pick. fuck you Gene. fuck. you.

JackTheGordie and some hero - Neither of those two players are what I would consider "superstars". They've seen some success, but it wasn't prolonged and it certainly wasn't amazing in any way. I don't know if you intended it this way, but your examples actually further bolstered MY point. LeGarrette Blount is pretty much a textbook example of where boatloads of talent can be absolutely wasted by a lack of character. The guy has played for three different teams (one of them twice), and only got the Super Bowl ring through sheer luck.
Yeah I wouldn't either. Just brought him up to see if anyone would have an insightful comment. But Michael Vick, in his prime? He was one of the league's elite without question, so obviously no argument about LGB, but Vick you can make one

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Yeah I wouldn't either. Just brought him up to see if anyone would have an insightful comment. But Michael Vick, in his prime? He was one of the league's elite without question, so obviously no argument about LGB, but Vick you can make one
Vick was never elite. He was a dangerous running threat, but his accuracy has always been terrible and his other stats were subpar as well. He never even sniffed the top 10, let alone achieved Elite status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)