The Dragons of Hoenn

Basically, with the advent of gen 5, something really good happened :

Flygon dropped to UU.

Finally, a chance for the dragon to show its power in the tier where it really belongs, I thought. What better way to have a glimpse of its capabilities than to build a team around it?

But wait! Somehow I got reminded of the other dragon of Hoenn. No, not the fatass that is Salamence, but Altaria. Poor fluffpudge has been stuck in UU for so long, and I didn't even think of it right from the start! Feeling sorry for fluffykins here, I decided that Flygon shall have a dragon partner, and thus the main idea for the team was created.

The team itself has been experiencing limited success, with a win ratio at about 50% on various POL servers including Smogon. I belief that this team can be optimized further, and therefore I am asking you team raters to help me patch up holes in the team~

Without further ado, team building process :

The two less-than-OU-material dragons of Hoenn region are the core of the team. Can't do without them.

Both are quadruply weak to ice, so I added Milotic, who can tank ice attacks aimed at my precious dragons.

Since Milotic already functions as a general special attack sponge outside of blocking ice moves, I added Donphan for general physical walling purposes. The reason why I chose Donphan was because it's ability to set up SR and spin hazards rolled into one.

My team lacked a pokemon that can reliably function as a general lead outside of specific situations, so I turned to the age-old tested lead Ambipom to fill in that function.

Right now the team is very physically oriented, so I added another special attacker in Jolteon, who is now down in UU as well.

Since then the team members have not changed, but their sets have.

Now let's go in-depth, shall we?

THE LEAD

Jolly / Technician @ Life Orb
4HP/ 252Atk/ 252Spe
Fake Out
U-Turn
Low Sweep / Low Kick
Pursuit

More or less the same old Ambipom from last gen. Is fast, hits decently hard, and has a form of priority for free damage. Usually used to scout early game when the opposing team does not immediately show a tendency to follow a certain strategy, such as the lack of a weather inducer. Near late game, Ambipom is usually used as death fodder. I usually use Low Sweep because it's boosted by Technician and slows the opponent down to allow my slower mons to take care of it, but Low Kick appears to be somewhat better at dealing damage, especially to heavy walls like Registeel so I use that every once in a while.

THE DRAGON CORE

Jolly / Levitate @ Life Orb
4HP/ 252Atk/ 252Spe
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
U-Turn
Roost

This Flygon set aims for damage and longevity. Flygon's defenses are not the best, but it can take NVE hits every now and then. That is helped by Flygon's excellent list of resistances. Roost also helps mitigate Life Orb damage, allowing Flygon to attack without needing to worry of killing itself with recoil. Dragon Claw is chosen over Outrage because of this set's goal. Locking oneself into outrage does not bode well for the dragon's longevity. Earthquake is a very nice STAB with high power, and U-Turn is a staple on all Flygon sets, allowing me to scout effectively by continuously U-Turn/VoltSwitching between Ambipom, Flygon, and Jolteon.

Natural Cure / Impish @ Leftovers
244HP/ 136Def/ 116SpDef
Dragon Dance
Roost
Heal Bell
Dragon Claw

This is the bulky cleric mono-attacking set, whose set up is nigh unstoppable because of roost and heal bell. Once the opponent's offensive threat has been neutralized, Altaria becomes the end-game cleaner, setting up with impunity in the face of defensive and support mons, and even quite a few offensive ones too. Nothing is immune nor 4x resist dragon-type, so Dragon Claw as its mono attack is logical. At +6 Altaria can topple any defensive pokemon with brute force combined with Roost and Heal Bell. Either it one-shots them or it outlasts them, in the end it will usually win.

THE REST OF THE TEAM

Marvel Scale / Modest @ Leftovers
212HP/ 44Def/ 252SpAtk
Hydro Pump
HP Grass
Recover
Dragon Tail

Offensive Milotic, something that is rarely used for a reason : Milotic is more capable defensively, which gives this Milotic a surprise value. Stuff switching in expecting a Scald and perhaps a burn will be greeted with the much more powerful Hydro Pump. HP Grass takes care of the annoying Quagsire, which I very much hate. Recover is there to take advantage of Milotic's natural bulk, and Dragon Tail to remove stuff that sets up. It has enough natural SpDef to survive quite a lot of things and just enough Def to not die at the slightest touch of a powerful physical move.

Sturdy / Adamant @ Leftovers
252HP / 252Atk/ 4Def
Rapid Spin
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Ice Shard

Mainly a physical attacker and sponge, packing a priority for revenge killing a few things such as other Flygons, Donphan also sets up Stealth Rock to help nab KOs and keeps the hazards away from my side of the field. Not much to say here. Toot toot, moving on~

Volt Absorb/ Modest @ Choice Specs
4HP/ 252SpAtk/ 252Spe
Thunderbolt
Volt Switch
Shadow Ball
HP Ice

The cleaner once all heavily specially defensive pokemon and resists have been weakened sufficiently and all ground types are eliminated. Thunderbolt spamming shall commence, and with modest nature and specs, this fella hits hard. When Jolteon isn't doing the wipe-up though, his task is to scout with Volt Switch along with Flygon and Ambipom, although I have to be more careful about using Jolteon since Ground types mess up his scouting. The other two moves are for just in case, as in when predicting a switch to dragons.

----------------Threat list on next post--------------------------

Offensive

-Abomasnow - Ambipom takes care of it with Fake Out / Low Sweep, although the permanent hail is annoying.
-Aerodactyl - Donphan can take anything Aero throws at it and retaliate with Ice Shard, although Milotic can scare it out if I can get it in without getting hit by Stone Edge. Stealth Rock are taken care by Donphan.
-Alakazam - Milotic sponges the attacks and sends it flying with Dragon Tail, or maybe kill it with Hydro Pump.
-Ambipom - Donphan and Altaria can stop it.
-Arcanine - Walled by Donphan as well, and Milotic can take Flare Blitz somewhat well, as well as Altaria.
-Azelf - After the set has been scouted, switch to the appropriate defensive mon. When lacking ice attacks, use Altaria.
-Azumarill - Altaria and Milotic can take a few hits.
-Bisharp - walled by Donphan.
-Celebi - Usually Altaria takes care of Celebi since most does not carry HP Ice.
-Charizard - Taken care by Milotic and Altaria.
-Cobalion - Donphan and Flygon can dish out major damage to it with EQ.
-Crobat - Donphan can take Brave Birds quite well and retaliates with Ice Shard.
-Donphan - Milotic scares any Donphan out of the way,
-Dugtrio - Donphan kills it with Ice Shard.
-Durant - Walled by Donphan and Altaria.
-Eelektross - Must be played around a bit. A dangerous threat.
-Electivire - Donphaaaaaan. Flygon also works. Both fears Ice Punch though.
-Emboar - How many times have I said Donphan? Altaria also works.
-Escavalier - More Donphan, and Altaria too. Heck, even Flygon.
-Flygon - Whittle down it's health using Ambipom and finish it using Donphan's Ice Shard or Jolteon's HP Ice.
-Froslass - Milotic takes care of all variants, but snow cloak can be annoying under hail.
-Gallade - Donphan again. Altaria works too if it lacks Ice Punch.
-Galvantula - Between Energy Ball and HP Ice this thing can punch through everything in the team, but luckily Ambipom can usually kill it with Fake Out + U-Turn.
-Golurk - Altaria and Donphan walls it, Jolteon has Shadow Ball for it.
-Gorebyss - Milotic walls it, Jolteon can easily kill it. Milotic also phazes any smashpassing attempt.
-Heracross - Donphan, how can I live without you? Altaria can also take everything but Stone Edge.
-Honchkrow - Donphan, and Altaria.
-Houndoom - Milotic kills it.
-Huntail - Inferior Gorebyss gets handled the same way as Gorebyss.
-Jolteon - Nothing is quite safe, really. Must be played around carefully.
-Kingdra - Must be eliminated quickly before it sets up by either Jolteon or Flygon.
-Krookodile - Donphan can take it on.
-Lilligant - If it lacks HP Ice, Altaria walls it until it's at +4 or something. Either way, fast kill using Jolteon's HP or Donphan's Ice Shard are applicable.
-Mamoswine - Milotic must face it. Not ideal, I know.
-Medicham - Donphan saves the day!
-Mew - Too trollish, must find out the set first before forming a strategy to take it out.
-Mismagius - Either eliminate it fast with Jolteon, or wall it with Altaria.
-Moltres - Everyone but Jolteon and Ambipom can survive Moltres' attacks.
-Nidoking - Milotic fears Thunderbolt but can retaliate with Hydro Pump, Donphan fears Ice Beam but can retaliate with Ice Shard. No sure counter, but unless it's been passed a quiver dance it's manageable.
-Ninjask - Phaze anything that comes in with Milotic, and set up SR so it can't switch in too many times.
-Porygon-Z - Outspeed and kill with Jolteon or Flygon.
-Raikou - Must be played around with Flygon and Donphan.
-Rhyperior - Milotic.
-Rotom-C - Altaria takes care of it.
-Rotom-H - Altaria too.
-Rotom-F - The fridge is annoying.
-Sawsbuck - Altaria.
-Sceptile - Altaria. All Grass types go to Altaria.
-Scolipede - Donphan.
-Scyther - Donphan.
-Sharpedo - Milotic might survive sometimes, Altaria walls it if it lacks Ice attacks.
-Shaymin - Altaria takes care any variant without HP Ice, the ones with HP Ice must be played around.
-Sigilyph - Annoying fuck, phaze it with Milotic.
-Smeargle - Kill it with anything.
-Snorlax - Ambipom can kill it with Fake Out + Low Sweep.
-Stoutland - Ambipom kills it with Fake Out + Low Sweep, but must be careful when under Sand Storm.
-Suicune - Jolteon kills the non CM ones, the CM ones gets phazed by Milotic.
-Togekiss - Jolteon outspeeds and kills.
-Venomoth - Sac a team member to take the sleep and phaze with Milotic.
-Victini - Donphan and Altaria can sometimes take V-Create. Milotic can scare it out after it kills something.
-Weavile - Ambipom kills it with Fake Out + Low Sweep
-Yanmega - Milotic and Altaria can take its attacks.
-Zoroark - Usually dies without me knowing that it's a zoroark before its death.

Defensive

-Altaria - Ice Sharded by Donphan or HP Iced by Jolty.
-Blastoise - Mostly dealt by Milotic.
-Chansey - Altaria outlasts it.
-Claydol - Milotic.
-Clefable - Altaria outlasts it.
-Cresselia - CM ones phazed by Milotic, and is taken care by Flygon in general.
-Deoxys-D - Flygon and Ambipom U-Turn spamming on it makes it die fast.
-Drapion - Flygon quakes it.
-Dusclops - Just hit it as hard as possible because I have no other answer to it.
-Dusknoir - Same as Dusclops.
-Empoleon - Ambipom can deal massive damage to it, as well as Flygon.
-Ferroseed - Can't do jack squat on Altaria except for Leech Seed.
-Gastrodon - Milotic takes care of it with HP grass if it switches in on Milotic. Other than that, Milotic takes care of it with HP grass.
-Gligar - HP Ice from Jolteon.
-Hippopotas - Milotic murders it.
-Hitmontop - Donphan can take anything it throws at it, and Flygon works quite well too as long as it doesn't get intimidated.
-Milotic - My own Milotic with HP Grass and Jolteon's Tbolt.
-Nidoqueen - Ice attacks, water attacks...
-Quagsire - Milotic kills it with HP Grass.
-Registeel - Altaria outlasts it.
-Roserade - Annoying, but Altaria can take anything from it and set up on it with impunity.
-Rotom - Jolteon's Shadow Ball can deal with it.
-Slowbro - U-Turn spamming, Tbolt, and HP Grass says that Slowbro does not live too long.
-Spiritomb - Just hit it hard with anything, preferably special ones so it doesn't burn the physical attackers.
-Tangrowth - Ice attacks, ice attacks... Especially Jolteon's HP Ice, although Tangrowth is hard to take down.
-Umbreon - Put Altaria in and set up with impunity.
-Uxie - Altaria.
-Walrein - Milotic can force it out / kill with HP Grass.
-Weezing - Hit it as hard as possible.
-Xatu - Ice attacks and Jolteon's Shadow Ball. Hitting it hard with anything also works.
-Zapdos- Usually dealt with Jolteon's HP Ice or with proper prediction and EQit when it roosts with Donphan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)