Other The Dark Horse Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was Ok'd by ginganinja.

Just edited Lady Salamence's OP.
Credit to ToxicPhox for the art.

Introduction:

Welcome back to the Dark Horse Project, Round 7! This is the first round for XY and it'll be exciting to see who and what makes the Hall of Fame this time around!

The Mission:

For those who weren't around for the last installment, the Dark Horse Project is an experiment per-se, in which players are encouraged and rewarded for playing OU with dark-horse Pokemon - Pokemon that have the ability to to shine in OU, but don't get used because players either have no reason to use them, or don't want to in lieu of more conventional Pokemon. This project aims to increase diversity in the OU metagame, by encouraging the use of good pokemon that are not commonly used. This project also encourages discussion on how Dark Horse Pokemon can be used in the OU metagame, as well as the sharing and distribution of teams that are successful and use unconventional Pokemon.

Rules:

This project aims to recognize and reward users who put in the effort to create a competitively successful team with non-conventional Pokemon. Anyone with a Smogon account has a chance of entering the Hall of Fame for this project. Here are the rules for this project.

• Each team must use, at the very least, ONE Dark Horse Pokemon, though multiple are encouraged. A Dark Horse Pokemon is any pokemon that falls below 3% usage on the previous month's 1825 OU stats. All the other members of your team can be any Pokemon you wish, so long as they do not fall into the uber tier.
  • You must use a NEW Pokemon Showdown! account, and not one with previous laddering points. The team you use can shift, but the Dark Horse Pokemon must remain constant on the account.
  • Switching Dark Horse Pokemon is acceptable, but you must restart with a new account if you do, as well as posting in this thread informing the leaders of the project.
  • Put all changes in your original registration form, as well as sending the leaders of the project a PM. If you do not, then I cannot promise a swift update to your official registration.
  • Do not start laddering until you've registered in this topic.

Registration is not limited to a certain time period only. As long as this project is running, you may register. There will be a post in this thread later to keep track of all participants run by Salemance, so don't worry about your registration getting lost in the sea of discussion.

Fill out this form to register:

Pokemon Showdown! Username:
Prior Hall of Fame Standing:
Current Dark Horse Pokemon:
Explanation of Dark Horse(s)

Remember - the Pokemon Showdown! Username should be something that has no ranking on the OU ladder, so all your points will have been affected by your Dark Horse team, and only your Dark Horse team! Currently the HoF standing should be empty, but when you've entered the Hall of Fame, feel free to update your post with your standing!

Finally, add some insight to why you chose your dark horse in your registration post! Great starting points are discussing why you chose your dark horse(s), what kind of teams they're in, and whether they're the star of the show or the supporters. Explain why your dark horse is the best choice for your team, not just slapped on for the project. You don't have to wait to get into the hall of fame to share your dark horse, do so in your registration post or whenever you want.

Discussion:

While this project gives you a chance to prove your team building and laddering skills, the real point of this thread is to discuss under-rated pokemon, and their niches' in OU. Share your struggles and successes, and discuss your Dark Horse's niche in the OU metagame. This is a place not only to show off warstories/replays/rankings you are proud of, but to also help others achieve their goals! This isn't a competition or a tournament, it's a community project. Here's a basic Do/Do Not listing for those who are wonder what is encouraged, and what is frowned on:

• Do post and share sets for your Dark Horse Pokemon, as well as teammates.
  • Do discuss threats to your Dark Horse, or your team as a whole.
  • Do ask questions (and by extension, answer other's) regarding the current OU metagame and teambuilding.

• Do not post insignificant updates - while it's great you broke your previous record or something similar, it does not encourage discussion. Posts should be thought through and unique.
  • Do not ask people to make teams for you. You may ask for thoughts regarding teammates, and individual sets, but do not ask for people to build a team around your Dark Horse Pokemon for you.
Here are some great questions to start with (taken straight for the LC version):
Were any of your Dark Horses very useful for your teams, did they do there job correctly and then some?

Did you have any challenges in your way for creating a team out of not so common pokemon? Any key roles for a team that weren't covered by underrated threats?

Rate your dark horses from 1-10. How useful were they? Would you use this pokemon again? Why?
Hall of Fame

Now here comes the competitive part. Once you've reached a ranking above 1650 Elo on Smogon's competitive OU ladder with your Dark Horse Pokemon, you may enter the Hall of Fame! Once you are eligible, please fill out this registration form, edit it into your original registration post, and also PM the form to me titled Dark Horse HoF:

Pokemon Showdown! Username:
Dark Horse Pokemon:
Screenshot of 1650+ Elo on OU ladder:
Dark Horse Complete Set:
Description of team as a whole.

Even more so than the regular Registration Form, you are highly encouraged to post thoughts, notable replays, warstories, sets and other related information so others can learn from your success! Once you've filled out the form, you'll be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Now, the final catch to this project is: only 1 of each Dark Horse Pokemon is allowed into the Hall of Fame each month. For example, only the challenger who laddered highest with Celebi will be accepted this month; Celebi challengers with lower ladder ratings cannot enter the Hall of Fame until they pass the highest rating for Celebi. The hall of fame will be updated at the end of the month.

Here are the 1825 (no more 1760) usage statistics for May. These will be updated every month.
http://sim.smogon.com:8080/Stats/2014-06/ou-1825.0.txt

Remember, dark horses must have less than 3% usage. You should also be aware that using a pokemon with a usage very close to 3% is risky, as it may not remain under 3% for the next months usage statistics. If you achieve hall of fame, and the usage goes above 3% after the fact, it will still count.

Last edited:
Credit goes to Aluriiya.

The Very Best: Top 5

Empty

Gold Class: 1850 Elo

Knight of Cydonia-
precious and grace- Heracross, Shuckle
Peaked at 1861 Elo (#40)
"Mega Heracross is one of the most potent wallbreaking threats in OU and can excel against offensive teams with Sticky Web support. Shuckle has a definite niche as a hazard lead and is good enough to be considered over Deoxys-D in the same role"

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Infestation

Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Wild Charge
- Knock Off
- Fly
- Bulk Up

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory

effyouzion-
eff4zion- Shedinja
Peaked at 1857 Elo
"Shedinja is a competitive choice, unfortunately he is also an inconsistent one. Your goal should be to identify who can touch Sheddy and who can't, then use your Sheddy to pivot in on those mons that can't touch you."
Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- X-Scissor
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 224 HP / 32 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Defog
- Roost

Greninja @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory
- U-turn

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Brick Break
- Swords Dance

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp

Silver Class: 1760 Elo:

Empty

Bronze Class: 1650 Elo:

acestriker19
aceascot- Mega Manectric, Entei, and Cobalion
Peaked at 1651 Elo
"Mega Manectric was even better than I thought it would be acting as a really solid pivot that help mandi out of some tough spots and a very good revenge killer as well. Banded Sacred Fire [from Entei] is really nice both for its power and the threat of burn . At times Entei got outsped and Koed because I lacked a good switch-in and it was a pain when Sacred Fire didn't burn but in most matches Entei pulled its weight and was definitely an asset to my team. Cobalion is an odd case as it wasn't outclassed per se on my team but I found myself thinking at multiple points "I wish I had Terrakion" or "I wish I had Landorous-T" or "I wish I had Heatran" but there were a couple matches where I felt Cobalion really saved my team."

Cobalion @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 56 Atk / 200 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
EVs: 176 Def / 248 HP / 68 SDef / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Foul Play
- Whirlwind

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Adamant Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Bulldoze

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 56 HP / 200 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Knock Off
- Psychic
- U-turn

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

iliekmudkipz123456789
Nene king- Magnezone, Staraptor
Peaked at 1663 Elo
"Choice Band Staraptor plays a role in that it completes a double bird core, and a good one at that. Choice Band Staraptor weakens threats to Mega-Pinsir to open up a hole for Mega-Pinsir to come in and sweep. Magnezone makes this team imitate DragMag because it's there to trap steel types that resist Flying."
Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 176 HP / 80 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Staraptor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Double-Edge
- U-turn

Pinsir (M) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Feint
- Frustration
- Swords Dance

Conkeldurr (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Thunderbolt

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Mowtom
HorseofDarkness1- Gothitelle, Raikou
Peaked at 1664 Elo
"Raikou was the centerpiece of my team, so I can't judge how well this set would work on any team, but it was great on mine. It could even do a quick revenge kill before the opposing team was weakened enough to start sweeping...Raikou may have been the centerpiece of my team, but Gothitelle was what allowed it to function. Gothitelle's purpose is to remove or disable Chansey, Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, Quagisre, and some others before Raikou tries to sweep."
Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Raikou @ Leftovers
EVs: 32 HP / 224 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SDef / 16 Spd
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 216 Def / 40 SDef / 252 HP
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 16 HP / 240 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Waterfall

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Spd / 220 SDef
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Roar
- Toxic

Zebstrika
Scyrrel- Driftblim, Magnezone, Meloetta, Klefki
Peaked at 1652 Elo
"Klefki screens to help Drifblim tank all kinds of super effective attacks, then doubling all its offensive stats so it can sweep or pass them to a teammate to sweep. Magnezone is a super powerful pivot, it just dares you to run so it can volt switch on you for a huge amount of damage and momentum. Meloetta is a decent bulky mixed attacker with assault vest, also she's a beasty ghost counter if you have Aegislash/Gengar problems."
Drifblim @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 224 Def / 96 SDef / 188 Spd
Lax Nature
- Acrobatics
- Baton Pass
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes

Meloetta @ Assault Vest
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 44 Atk / 252 SAtk / 212 Spd
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Relic Song
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 68 SAtk / 36 SDef / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Outrage

Ropeburn
Senor little meat- Aerodactyl
Peaked at 1664 Elo
"A cool pokemon, but the fact that it's a mega with terrible defenses and a mediocre typing leave it vulnerable to priority, even those it resists. It's a really nice revenge killer, but it can be underwhelming if you don't build around it, and the role of fast revenge killer has plenty of alternatives that aren't mega pokemon."
Aerodactyl-Mega (M) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Bisharp (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head

Greninja (F) @ Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory

Deoxys-Defense @ Red Card
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Night Shade
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Spikes

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Fire Blast

Thundurus @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Last edited:
"]
Credit goes to the excellent Xous54 for the above Blitzle image.

iHop
Pokemon Showdown! Username: iHop(Fox)
Prior Hall of Fame Standing: N/A
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Victini
Current Ladder Standing: Well, 1000, right?

Smog Frog
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Missiles Fired
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Mega Heracross
Current Ladder Standing:1000

Tsunami
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Light Up The Skies
Prior Hall of Fame Standing: none
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Chandelure, Mightyena, Mew, Ampharos, Porygon-Z, Hawlucha
Current Ladder Standing:

am pretty bad
Pokemon Showdown! Username: henbob
Prior Hall of Fame Standing: None
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Weavile

acestriker
Showdown Username: AceAscot
Current Ranking: 1103 (3-0)
Current Dark Horses: Cobalion (Cobalion is below carbink in usage stats...really?) , Manetric (at least while usage is still above below 4%) and Entei (Entei's real weight to usage is quite impressive)

This team developed into volt-turn with lots of strong wallbreakers in Landorous and Entei who can weaken checks and counters to a late-game sweep by Manetric. Mandibuzz is there because I need something to (pretty reliably) take on Aegislash and to be a general nuisance to set-up sweepers while Cobalion adds Stealth Rock support and can use its excellent STAB Close Combat tier to work well to break down pink blobs and other mons that annoy my wallbreakers.

Cobalion is so interesting to me it seems really excellent in theory, stealth rock, volt switch really fast while also being pretty defensive. In the matches I've used Cobalion hes actually performed really well with his standard set and although his typing is bad and his power isn't all to impressive the speed and utility more than makes up for it. The meta hasn't really developed in his favor but Justified is a bonus this gen along with being a great answer to bisharp and t-tar.

The set I'm running is actually Cobalion's fast more offensive set and its been working really well at putting alot of pressure on the opposing team in my trial matches.
Cobalion @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 Spd / 56 Atk / 200 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Then Manetric is a great fast pivot that goes along with this team well because this teams goal is to create opportunities for Landorous-I to wallbreak by drawing in bulky mons for Landorous-I to smash. Manetric also functions as this teams late game cleaner, The sets pretty standard as well.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Entei was a later choice and I decided on a band set as my team was beginning to take shape as a bunch of mons who are really difficult to switch into (Azumarill, Entei, Landorous-I) while further smashing teams that rely on physical wallbreakers and sweepers I chose Adamant despite losing speed to jolly Excadrill as the rest of my team can support Entei. Scared Fire is excellent as it is really really hard to switch into. Bulldoze takes out Heatran on a predicted switch-in. Entei is way better in OU just with Sacred Fire.

Entei @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Extremespeed
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Bulldoze

Salemance
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Land Settler Sale
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Crobat, Arcanine, and Crawdaunt
Current Ladder Standing: N/A (I haven't laddered lately or at all)

Dirty Bum
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Dirty Bum
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Trevanent, Shuckle, Heracross
Current Ladder Standing: Approx ~ 1300

finncent1
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Hoppus
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Gardevoir

Jaroda
User name: Regibrick
Dark Horse: Mienshao
Current ranking: 1421

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-116511004
Mienshao @ Choice Band
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Facade

This replay is short and I'm not very far in the ladder, and admittedly he got haxed a few times,but it's a good example of Mienshao's potential, and I'm just posting a progress report.

Anyway I don't remember who posted it, but Misnshao is an insansely underrated wallbreaker, as its Reckless Choice Band HJK is stronger than Mega Medicham's! Also has a nice 105 speed tier as opposed to 100 and doesn't take a mega slot. And while Reckless only boosts HJK, it's all you need. As you can see, my opponent's team was BO and at the end of the match he has absolutely NOTHING safe to switch into me as everything is taking over 50% damage. Hippowdon shot down to 22%, Amoongus was right at 48%, but his own sand would have ensured me that 2HKO since it nullified his Black Sludge. And I didn't need that crit on Mega Scizor at the end anyway. You gotta go Choice Band for that ridiculous power, it really helps with the 2HKOs. Knock Off and U-Turn are the moves to use if you expect a switch in that's faster than you and are great in general. I would normally run Stone Edge in the fourth slot but I didn't want to rely on the accuracy and as my team rotates I often had enough Rock coverage elsewhere. Facade seemed like as good a choice as any in the last slot lest I somehow get burned. What's nice is that Mienshao as a U-Turner or wallbreaker resists Stealth Rock so multiple switches are easier, and it makes the need for Defog/Rapid Spin less essential. My team might need a little tweak but I guess you could say it's balance. Mienshao breaks walls and allows for a Mega Tyranitar DD sweep in the end. Rotom-H is scarfed for emergency revenge killing, Trick on a tough wall and status, Skarmory is a standard wall, lays Stealth Rock and Whirlwinds set up sweepers, Azumarill is bulky, handles Dragons and adds priority, and Raikou is to outspeed most of the things Mienshao can't while also able to pivot with Volt Change. If there's something I need to change on my team it's somehow fit a cleric, or scald absorber, as while AV Azumarill eats Scalds, the burn is crippling, and while Rotom cant be burned, he doesn't like Scald.

Colossus
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Dragonarak V2
Dark Horse Pokemon: Hydreigon, Chandelure
Current Ladder Standing: 1171 ELO
Dark Horse Complete Sets:
Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd
Modest nature
Draco Meteor
Dark Pulse
Flash Cannon
U-Turn

Chandelure @ Leftovers
4 SpD/252 SpA/252 Spd
Modest nature
Substitute
Fire Blast
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball

Dark Horse Explanation:
Were any of your Dark Horses very useful for your teams, did they do there job correctly and then some?

Hydreigon does his job well as a pivot, partially due to his unique set of resistances/immunities, and also because he can get my win conditions in (to set up and/or start punching holes) with relative ease. Teambuilding wasn't all that difficult- while he may have some common weaknesses, they can be dealt with w/o much of a problem.

Chandelure acts as a partial "lure" with the above set. A free Sub on the switch can give me some breathing room and a chance to hurt its would-be counter(s). It does pull its own weight, but it does require some support- paralysis from Ferrothorn helps mitigate its average speed, for example. Teambuilding was more involved than with Hydreigon, but I was able to find teammates that covered its weak points relatively well.

Did you have any challenges in your way for creating a team out of not so common pokemon? Any key roles for a team that weren't covered by underrated threats?

For each Dark Horse, there are several Pokemon that overshadow them (those lists are kinda obvious, so I won't elaborate here). Hydreigon was a more natural fit, as I like to employ a Choice Scarfer on the majority of my OU teams. Chandelure, on the other hand, wasn't quite so simple. I generally use Aegislash as my Ghost-type special nuke (or special nuke in general, for that matter). The swap took a little getting used to, but Chandelure has been pulling its weight thus far.

Rate your dark horses from 1-10. How useful were they? Would you use this pokemon again? Why?

Hydreigon- 8
The utility it brings to the table as a Choice Scarfer it great, but there are two main struggles that keep it from true greatness- strong priority and its weaknesses. I would likely use it again, but it has to fit my current team's composition.

Chandelure- 7.5
It wrecks stuff when it works, but it doesn't always get the chance. A lower Speed tier (base 80 isn't terrible, but...) and common weaknesses are this Pokemon's Achilles heel. It needs a little more team support than I would like, but that doesn't mean it's a terrible Pokemon. I would consider using it again, but like Hydreigon, it needs to fit my team.

Trinitrotoluene
Pokemon Showdown! Username: the second kira
Prior Hall of Fame Standing: 1000
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Ludicolo, Kabutops, Politoed

I like these Pokemon, and rain hyper offense is a criminally underused playstyle (according to the usage statistics). I'd expect all three of these Pokemon to pull their weight when placed under the right conditions. Naturally, Politoed's Drizzle will provide the stage for which Kabutops and Ludicolo can shine on, and thanks to Politoed's respectable bulk, it can come in and set rain multiple times through the battle. The Drizzle boost to Water-type moves also assures that Politoed will never be dead weight.

Rob.
Pokemon Showdown! Username: yung lion
Dark Horse Pokemon: Weavile
Current Ladder Standing: 1338ELO
Dark Horse Complete Set:

Weavile
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 Spd / 16 HP / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

13-0 with the team so far.

Weavile is so underrated that it's almost sickening, it keeps consistent pressure on the other teams defensive mons because they don't want to lose their items and take a huge hit. Added more speed since Greninja proved to be a bit of a problem, the 236 speed evs gives Weavile enough to outspeed fully invested positive natured Ninjas. Dumped the rest into HP, not sure if it helps but meh.

Knight of Cydonia
Pokemon Showdown! Username: precious and grace
Current rank: 1358 (tested the team before hand to see if Shuckle was actually going to reach top 100)
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Mega Heracross and Shuckle
Mega Heracross is a huge wallbreaking threat but its low speed and competition with other megas leaves it at less than 4% usage. In theory by combining it with a lead Shuckle with Sticky Web and Stealth Rock onto a hyper offense team, both pokemon should have a chance to shine.

iliekmudkipz123456789
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Nene king
Prior Hall of Fame Standing: http://gyazo.com/6e8c48d88089c6161bb3d63dce0d7675 1000
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Magnezone, Staraptor
Team: http://pastebin.com/JWYxvq7E I don't know how to use hide tags lol. Please help me adjust this team because I'm not sure how to make it better. Thanks!

cellgoondude
Sableye: My favorite UU pokemon of all time. He's such a prankster and wins me many fights :D
Staraptor: I didn't really think I needed another Sp. Atker (AKA Alakazam) so I decided to go with a fast Physical Attacker.
Therefore team now is:
Sableye
Staraptor
Quagsire
Blastoise
Porygon2
Diggersby

I was testing on my main alt and I have to say, Choice Band Staraptor is pretty powerful. I only lost like one game so far during my testing session and that was because of pure and utter hax. Still, idk if this team is good or not so I sent the pastebin to ask for help. Any help would be appreciated! :]

Explanation of team: So the sets for the Dark Horses are in the pastebin. Basically I want this team to be a double bird team with Magnezone to trap steels who threaten double bird cores. Conkeldurr is there because I needed a bulky tank that could take on Heatran and Rotom-Wash. Latios is obviously there for Defog support, but does massive damage with Life Orb. I put Choice Scarf Keldeo because my team is pretty slow and I felt like Choice Scarf Keldeo would be a good option for a scarfer since I had nothing to hit mons like Hippowdon. The double bird core consists of Staraptor and Mega-Pinsir. The core is pretty simple, Choice Band Staraptor weakens things so that Mega-Pinsir can clean up. I run Feint over Quick Attack on Mega-Pinsir to negate Protect and because I've never tried it on Mega-Pinsir. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't need to explain the rest of the moves on Pinsir or any of the moves on Staraptor because they're pretty standard. Hope this explanation will do!

Thundergreek
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Saake
Dark Horse Pokemon: Gastrodon
Description of team as a whole.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Yawn
- Recover

Gastrodon is a perfect counter to Rotom-wash. Takes no damage from attacks and doesn't really mind burn since it can heal it off with recover. Putting it on a sandstorm team makes sure it's leftovers count and many opponents' don't. When the opponent eventually has to switch out to another counter, yawn it and force another switch or sleep, getting more hazard and sandstorm damage. Is perfect for sponging water attacks directed at Hippowdon and electric attacks targeted M-Pinsir.

aquaslash
Pokemon Showdown! Username: MasterGalvatron
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Meloetta, Lilligant, Milotic
Current Ladder Standing: 1257

Eatthepear
Pokemon Showdown! Username: 2.69863% Usage
The username is named after the usage stats of Volcarona in OU.
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Volcarona :)
Explanation of Dark Horse(s): Volcarona is an incredibly terrifying threat, bringing teams without a Talonflame or other checks to its knees.

iliekmudkipz123456789
Ok I got HoF on my other alt with the Staraptor and Magnezone dark horse mons, so I'm gonna sign up a new alt if that's ok with you.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: SS Goldeen (SS stands for Shell Smash lol.)
Prior HoF standing: http://gyazo.com/ff387e2eceb4a5b5f5c4ef6e0f6bdfa1
Dark Horse Pokemon: Ursaring, Galvantula, Blastoise
[Team]
Ursaring (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Protect
- Close Combat
- Earthquake

Galvantula (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Sticky Web
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Bisharp (M) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Talonflame (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 216 Spd / 252 Atk / 40 HP
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Sleep Talk

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast

Blastoise (M) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin
- Aura Sphere

Ok so before you think I'm crazy for using Ursaring, I can explain. Ursaring isn't as bad as you think, base 130 attack is the same attack stat as Scizor, and when you can have a decently high speed stat and base 140 STAB Facade, that's pretty good. The whole reason I thought of using Ursaring was because I originally thought of using Diggersby, but then I realized I can have Ursaring who's faster and has a better STAB option with the added bonus of having access to Close Combat. I have Galvantula because even with Quick Feet, Ursaring isn't very fast. Bisharp is there to abuse Defog users, while Talonflame is there because of STAB priority CB Brave Bird since I had no priority. Gengar is there because he can spinblock and he can also be a big threat with Sticky Web support, which is always good. Lastly we have Mega-Blastoise. I put it there for a spinner so that Talonflame and Ursaring don't get worn down so easily, but another reason I used this over something like Tentacruel was because he can actually beat spinblockers like Aegislash. Also chose Blastoise because he's dark horse worthy lol. Overall these aren't the best choices for dark horse mons, but I wanted to try something new. Hopefully this works lol.

Mowtom
Pokemon Showdown! Username: HorseOfDarkness1

Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Gothitelle and Raikou
Explanation of Dark Horse(s): Gothitelle is the stallbreaker in OU right now. Any Pokemon that needs specific counters removed so that it can sweep will appreciate the help that Gothitelle brings to the table. Raikou is one such sweeper. It is very fast, and once it gets going its Calm Mind set is very hard to stop outside of Mega Venusaur, Chansey, Unaware users, and a few other Pokemon, all of which can be reliably removed by Gothitelle.

Mallorea541
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Dasgilichance
Prior Hall of Fame Standing: nope
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Cloyster, Volcarona

I love Cloyster for the un-mitigated havoc you can cause teams with a well timed shell smash, as well as the capability (even at -1!) to tank M-pinsir and ko back.
Volcarona is my little firebug, capable of taking a heavy attack, setting up a couple quiver dances and then sweeping an unprepared team.

Ambicrow
Pokemon Showdown! Username:DarkAmbicrow
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Bannette, Weavile
Explanation of Dark Horse(s) The Bannette set I have created counters all Deoxys sets. In a meta filled with Deoxys, Mega-Bannette allows me to counter a big threat, essentially making it 6-5. Bannette 2hko's Deoxys-D, an impressive feet in itself, the ability to bounce back rocks or taunts on turn one using magic bounce, the ability to go 1 for 1 using destiny bond, and breaking stall. Weavile fills a niche in my team that traps weak threats with pursuit, and also has priority ice in ice shard.

ratchet67
Pokemon Showdown! Username: t-bear67alt4
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Kabutops, Politoed

Explanation of Dark Horse(s): Pretty obvious I'm going for a rain team, so Politoed is absolutely essential. I'll probably use the defensive set when I create the team. Kabutops is able to set up against a variety of defensive mons, and some offensive mons like Talonflame, and is an absolute monster under rain. It also resists Brave Bird from Talonflame and aqua jet for Azumarill, which really helps it continue it's sweep.

To support Kabutops I'm either thinking of using Landorus-I to deal with Venusaur, or taunt/WoW Gengar to help wear stall down first and to prevent hazards from Deoxys-D. I'm leaning on Landorus as I want to create as much offensive pressure as possible, as with rain teams, if you lose your momentum it can mean losing the game. No hazard clearing, as that takes the precious momentum away.

s_aman
Pokemon Showdown! Username: rsremakeconfirmed
Explanation of Dark Horse(s): Mega Garde is a sexy pokemon with a sexy special attack stat. It is quite underrated and is a great wallbreaker with pixilate hyper voice. I will write more once i get some experience with her.

Combo Breaker
Pokemon Showdown! Username: EzrealTheExplorer
Prior Hall of Fame Standing: Just learned about this today so....none.
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Amoonguss

Explanation of Dark Horse: I wanted to think of a pokemon that could counter the ever annoying Azumarill. My last OU team would always get swept by Azumarill, so Amoonguss is the perfect counter with decent bulk and a great ability with Regenerator. Clear Smog is also pretty useful for taking out Pokemon who set up to sweep or stall, like Clefable or any Swords Dance/Dragon Dance user.

I hope Amoonguss becomes a valid choice in the Metagame. I'm just sick of Azumarills and Clefables in the metagame.

neep
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Manpharos
Prior Hall of Fame Standing: Nada
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Ampharos, Jellicent, Jirachi.
Explanation of Dark Horse(s): Ampharos is obscenely underrated, the thing has great bulk, 165 base special attack, and good coverage. It has more than enough positive traits to merit a spot in OU but many players don't use it just because it's too slow. I want to demonstrate that Ampharos's good bulk and special attack more than make up for it's lack of speed.

Jellicent is just glorious. Great bulk, Water/Ghost typing, great coverage (dazzling gleam, shadow ball, etc), and has trick room. Did I mention it gets water spout?

Jirachi is one all the older players are probably familiar with, it has godly typing, is easy to set up, has serene grace and can sweep underprepared teams. It also is great for taking down those pesky fairies.

acestriker
Pokemon Showdown Username: Aceroomba
Dark Horses: Porygon2, Cresselia, Wobuffet, Exploud
Explanation of Dark Horses

Porygon2: I've talked about porygon2 so much (hell its even my avatar) it is the trick room setter not really a dark horse just a necessary component of my team.

Cresselia: Cresselia is a great physical wall/ TR Setter from my experience but lacks offensive presence. I went for a Lunar Dance set as BellyJet Azumarill, Exploud and Wobuffet all appreciate the HP.

Wobuffet: I don't really know why I chose Wobuffet I just don't see it being used that often and I've been experimenting with Trappers on TR teams

Exploud: Based Exploud too stronk. Exploud is probably TR best auto win con. vs lots of teams with almost unresisted STAB + scrappy Boomburst everything dies.

Imitatia
Pokemon Showdown! Username: It's Lucy bby
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Krookodile :D
Explanation of Dark Horse(s): Well, I always wanted to try out Krookodile because of the buffs it got. Last gen, it was a sweeper, but this gen, it seems more of a pivot now. Also, I wanted to use Krookodile over Landorus-T for once, so, sure why not?

Ropeburn
Pokemon Showdown! Username: senor little meat
Prior Hall of Fame Standing: None.
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Mega Aerodactyl
Explanation of Dark Horse(s):

I really like fast physical attackers, especially in this metagame with so many Talonflame and Keldeo running around.

Snover64
Pokemon Showdown! Username: P's Salty Butthole
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Politoed, Blastoise, Kingdra, Emploeon

So, this team started off with a question: Are weather teams viable in Gen VI? Last gen, I used a sun team to great success; it was by far my best team ever, and I was struck with eternal sadness when I found out I couldn't port the sun team to Gen VI without it becoming basically useless. Instead, I was forced to create new teams, some better than others (my psychic mono is a really great team IMO, although I never used it against non-mono teams so there's that). However, I still always wanted to recapture the awesomeness that was my sun team, and the moment I saw this thread I decided it was a good of a chance as any to try new Pokémon and finally try to make a viable weather team.

Void73
Pokemon Showdown! Username: VoidX73
Prior Hall of Fame Standing:None
Current Dark Horse Pokemon:Snorlax,Sableye
Explanation of Dark Horse(s) :

Firstly,I chose snorlax for it's huge Atk stat and colossal HP stat, not to mention how that Sp.Def equals the Atk.I also wanted to awaken snorlax from it's graveyard (Talk about gen 2 curselax).It also got buffed with belly drum, as if 110 base atk stat isn't enough.Snorlax is just, fun to use with that big body and cute face (?)

Secondly, I found Sableye pretty useful with that Prankster support.It has a huge amount of support moves.Confuse ray,for instance, can be used againts M-pinsir who often have high attack stat,making the confusion damage as big as snorlax.I planned to use him to cripple pokes.

SnazzySwampert
Pokemon Showdown! Username: ExplodingTeddybear
Prior Hall of Fame Standing:N/A
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Staraptor, Porygon2, Shedinja

First, I chose Staraptor because its really powerful. Its CB set is deadly, and the Scarf one cleans up really good and works really with Talonflame. Its also really underrated. Like c'mon Staraptor is one of the greatest pokemon of all time. And it has the usage to be viable as a dark horse.

Second, I chose Gorebyss to be a second smashpasser along side Smeargle. Although,
unlike Smeargle, it has Waterfall to not completey be taunt bait

Lastly, I chose Jirachi to tank hits really good. Its also a doom desire user, which really helps last minute a lot. It runs a set of Wish, Substitute, Doom Desire, HP Fire. This is the only set that needs work, so suggestions are appreciated

Ropeburn
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Tootersquad
Prior Hall of Fame Standing: Mega Aerodactyl (Senor little meat)
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Lucario
Explanation of Dark Horse(s): Lucario is so underrated this gen that it's disgusting. With STAB Close Combat and Swords Dance he becomes a threat to be reckoned with. I want to experiment with Lucario to see why people aren't using him and to see how much support it requires.

Mowtom
Pokemon Showdown! Username: HorseOfDarkness2
Prior Hall of Fame Standing: May 2014, Bronze Rank
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Victini and Mew
Explanation of Dark Horse(s): I chose Victini while scrolling through the Viability Ranking Thread, and decided I wanted to see how well it would do in OU. Interesting fact: An Adamant Choice Band STAB V-Create from Victini has a 25% chance to OHKO 252/4 Deoxys-D with no prior damage. I chose Mew because Victini will need Defog support to do its job, and I've been hearing a lot of good things about Mew lately. It will be interesting to see if a team with 2 psychic types will work in the Ghost and Dark heavy OU meta.

Croven
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Croven, but for this I'll use Dark Croven
Prior Hall of Fame standing: None
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Togekiss
Explanation of Dark Horse:

Well I wanted to build a team around this paraflinching beauty for one reason: It's my favorite Pokemon. I don't really have much other reason than that, but I was determined to make this team work, having tried once before and failing. Everyone hates it; it's one of the most annoying Pokemon for a reason. Thunder Wave + Air Slash + Serene Grace pretty much negates most chances of moving. Sometimes, when I just wasn't in the mood, I spammed Air Slash on a Chansey at 60%, and it ended up dying from flinches. So my favorite set was the wall/utility set, and three moves were kinda self explanatory. Twave, Air Slash, and Roost. For the last slot, I was deciding whether to use Defog or Heal Bell, both of which would help the team. I decided on using Defog as it was the biggest niche that Togekiss held over the other defensive fairies, not making it totally outclassed.

Konoha (Togekiss) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Defog
- Roost

I got to 1650 on Croven, just using this team, but I forgot to register my account here before laddering ;~;, so I'll just start fresh with Dark Croven.

Cheers if you can get the nick reference.

jpw234
Pokemon Showdown! Username: jpwTimeToLadder
Prior Hall of Fame Standing: nah
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Sableye
Sableye is the best stallbreaker on stall and also singlehandedly ruins a bunch of offensive teams. Priority WoW saves games and Knock Off gives you a long-term advantage in stall vs. stall. My set:

Sableye (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SDef / 12 Spd
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Let me tell you a story about Sableye. I used to run 8 Speed EVs to outspeed other Sableye. Then I speed tied with this other guy's Sableye. I asked him what his speed EVs were and he said "8 to outrun other Sableye".
I run 12 Speed EVs on Sableye to outrun other Sableye. 252 SDef because it's more important than Defense since you have WoW, and rest in HP.
Notably Sableye has a very good chance to survive LO Latios' Draco Meteor and hit with Knock Off before Recovering off the damage:
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 244 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 261-308 (86.4 - 101.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
So it's pretty tanky.

Knock Off for stall and offense, really, such a great move. Taunt is pretty self explanatory to break stall along with WoW, Recover for recovery. Recommended to run with cleric support since poison or burn ruins your day. Can 6-0 teams with some help.

Enigami
Pokemon Showdown! Username: EnigamiDHP
Prior Hall of Fame Standing: None (1200-1250 ELO)
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Milotic, Gardevoir (non-mega), Huntail
(Note: This team is taken from my main team from my main account)

Milotic - 1.619%: The one that started the team. I set out with the purpose of making a team around Competitive Milotic, but Milotic's lack of coverage and the unreliability of getting Competitive boosts made Milotic dead weight for my team, and nearly got dropped from my team entirely. Until I tried 252HP/252+Def Flame Orb Marvel Scale Milotic, turning Milotic into a mega tank capable of taking even thunder punches with ease and firing back with scald/ice beam, dumping toxic on those that resist those two, and recovery to make up for burn. On top of that Milotic can't be put to sleep, toxic'd, or paralyzed, making the only things I've had to fear from enemies are Giga Drain, Bullet Seed and Thunder Bolt (and the odd Fusion Bolt).

Gardevoir (Non-Mega) - 0.745%: (Percentage is from taking Gardevoir's OU usage (3.725) and then multiplying it by the percentage of non-Gardevorite usage, about 20%). After having fun with Shell Smash/Baton Pass Gorebyss, I decided to play with the idea of passing those boosts to Gardevoir and unleashing devastating 252+ SpA+2 base 140 STAB Stored Powers. The result was beautiful. For a while I used Mega-Gardevoir for this, but found that the already devastating Stored Power tended to make its Mega form overkill and it didn't add additional defense, so I opted to use a different Mega. Plus Trace can occasionally nab an awesome ability. Nailing predicted Dark switch-ins with Moonblast was also fun. Usually a successful Shell Smash passed Gardevoir will usually sweep most the enemy team unless they have atleast 2 priority/sturdy/focus sash users, Bullet Punch or Talonflame.

Huntail - 0.000%: A late replacement for Gorebyss, Huntail was chosen over its counterpart for its virtually identical stats and the ability to use Super Fang (and since the poor guy is off the showdown usage stats list entirely). Its job is to let its teammates create an opening for it, move in, and pass Shell Smash to Gardevoir. If its not immediately threatened, pass Sub as well. Super Fang is there for after its done its job to weaken opponents for its teammates.

madbadger
Prior Hall of Fame Standing: Screen shot 2014-07-03 at 15.38.21.png
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Chesnaught. Usage: 1.065%
Chesnaught is a great physical wall with many support options. It can act well as a lead and a pivot on a stall team. It creates a FWG core with Charizard X and Quagsire on this team.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed
- Earthquake
(shoutouts to Ajwf for this set)

The EV's allow it to take most physical attacks easily. It is a hard counter to most non subtoxic/flash cannon Aegislash and can scout its sets with spiky shield.
Got to around 1650 on this on my old Alt so will see how it goes with this one.

ONE REGISTRATION POST PER DARK HORSE(s), AND KEEP IT UP TO DATE. If you make a new team, with new dark horses, you can make a new registration post. When you achieve HoF status with a Dark Horse(s), always update the original post with the form outlined in the above post! Also PM rachet67 the form, with a message titled Dark Horse HoF. That way, when we need to update our lists, we can just skip through the registration list. You can make a new post as well to let us know, but always make sure the updates for ladder ranking, alt name, etc are in the original post. We cannot guarantee that we will notice ANY data outside of them.

You are permitted to use the same Dark Horse as someone else, if that wasn't clear - there are no reservations, no rush, etc, and overlap is certainly allowed. Remember, though, that only one of each Dark Horse, and its associated user, can get into the Hall of Fame per month! You can also ladder with as many Dark Horses at a time as you like. If you reach the Hall of Fame cutoff with multiple Horses at once, they ALL go into the Hall of Fame with you. And remember, even if someone else takes your Dark Horse to the Hall of Fame first, you CAN take it back by beating their ladder rating, so don't give up easily! Be tenacious and ladder to the top!

If you've already reached the Hall of Fame this month, you can continue to participate in the project by either creating a new alt and choosing a new Dark Horse, or simply improving your Hall of Fame record even further. You've got one month, and an ocean of Pokemon, OU - we sure aren't going to stop you from trying all of them!

Now then, without further ado, here is your user registration list for the Dark Horse Project! The names are in the hide tag up above, all hidden under more hide tags before being neatly organized under the respective persons name. There you can find their ladder alt, dark horse of choice, and favorite shampoo brands.

Last edited:
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Missiles Fired
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Mega Heracross
Current Ladder Standing:1000
waiting for registration before I start
MEGA HERACROSS REKKIN SHIT

Last edited:

phil

could do worse
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pokemon Showdown! Username: iHop(Fox)
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Victini
Current Ladder Standing: Well, 1000, right?

Last edited:
Pretty much all I do is spending time finding out how to make less viable pokemon viable and competitive as is lol.

I think though that providing at least one replay that showcase the Dark Horse's performance should be added, since it is entirely possible to get to a high ranking with 5 exceptional pokemon and the 6th just happened to tag along but never really contributed.

Anyway there are a lot of surprising candidates under 4% that I certainly wouldn't consider DHs. But I'm thinking of Raikou, Mienshao, Roserade or Krookodile.

Sorry for you who already did this, but Current Ladder Standing was supposed to mean what your current rank is. However, that's just a leftover from the previous project, and I'm going to take that out of the application. You'll all be updated in the registration list as soon as Salamance updates it, so don't worry about that.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Application:

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Hoppus
Why?: Gardevoir is a very underrated Pokemon. I've always loved using it, and I love that it's so good now. Its Mega is beyond powerful, and can infuriate Pokemon like Bisharp trying to take advantage of it with Will-o-Wisp. It also has Taunt, which allows it to break through Chansey. Its Scarf set is also amazing, and criminally underused, and is probably what I'm gonna use.

Last edited:
Pokemon Showdown! Username: henbob
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Weavile, Medicham, Scolipede( not BP), Tangrowth

Last edited:
I was wondering why OU didn't have a dark horse project yet I'm super excited. Rachet I think you should put a major emphasis on the discussion of Dark Horses as the real goal of dark horses isn't to compete with underrated mons but to test underused mons to find niches and roles they can perform well in the metagame with the incentitive of competition I would highly encourage people to answer Ashley11's little cup Dark Horse questions great questions after participating:

Showdown Username: AceHorseThing

Current Dark Horses: Raikou, Azelf and Scolipede

My original goal was to use a volt turn core of Raikou and Azelf in order to weaken the opponents team for a lategame scolipede sweep. Eventually I decided that Azelf was better off with a sub nasty plot set than as a u-turner so I changed that and added Landoge in as my turner, so far battles have been going pretty well with Scolipede absolutely wrecking any lower ladder team without Talonflame.

Team Importable
Raikou @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 SAtk / 252 HP
Timid Nature
- Extrasensory
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Azelf @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Flamethrower
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot

Scolipede (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 52 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk / 200 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed

Last edited:
Updated registry with all current applicants (sorry Fincent, want to get your darkhorse decided on before registering it) and now time to put me in it!

Will post my team at a later date.

Team here (importable version here)
The Bell Tolls (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Banana (Crawdaunt) @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Crunch

Purple Baron (Crobat) (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 176 HP / 136 Atk / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Buddy (Arcanine) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun

Sparky (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 236 SDef / 24 Spd
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Heat Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Toxic

Tisk Tisk (Gengar) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Last edited:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Updated registry with all current applicants (sorry Fincent, want to get your darkhorse decided on before registering it) and now time to put me in it!

Will post my team at a later date.
Yeah sorry. I had one, but then I realized I had to make a new team instead of using a current one. Or is it okay if I use a team I've already used before??

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Dirty Bum~Alt
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Trevanent, Shuckle, Heracross
Current Ladder Standing: 1218

Edit: didn't read about the new account thing

Last edited:
Yeah sorry. I had one, but then I realized I had to make a new team instead of using a current one. Or is it okay if I use a team I've already used before??
As long as it shows the beauty of using a "Dark Horse" pokemon, it is eligible. I myself am using a team that has several Dark Horse mons that ive been using since XY came out and I see no issue if you are.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
As long as it shows the beauty of using a "Dark Horse" pokemon, it is eligible. I myself am using a team that has several Dark Horse mons that ive been using since XY came out and I see no issue if you are.
I'm using and underused set on an underrated Mon, so great! I edited my post with my formal application.

Pokemon Showdown! Name: Main is z0mOG. Playing on yyyourmum
Hall of fame: N/A
Dark Horse Pokemon: Slowbro

Tbh, 4% is kind of high. Next time 3% would be a lot better

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Regibrick
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Mienshao

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Dragonarak V2
Dark Horse Pokemon: Hydreigon, Chandelure
Current Ladder Standing: 1171 ELO
Dark Horse Complete Sets:
Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd
Modest nature
Draco Meteor
Dark Pulse
Flash Cannon
U-Turn

Chandelure @ Leftovers
4 SpD/252 SpA/252 Spd
Modest nature
Substitute
Fire Blast
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball

Dark Horse Explanation:

Hydreigon does his job well as a pivot, partially due to his unique set of resistances/immunities, and also because he can get my win conditions in (to set up and/or start punching holes) with relative ease. Teambuilding wasn't all that difficult- while he may have some common weaknesses, they can be dealt with w/o much of a problem.

Chandelure acts as a partial "lure" with the above set. A free Sub on the switch can give me some breathing room and a chance to hurt its would-be counter(s). It does pull its own weight, but it does require some support- paralysis from Ferrothorn helps mitigate its average speed, for example. Teambuilding was more involved than with Hydreigon, but I was able to find teammates that covered its weak points relatively well.

For each Dark Horse, there are several Pokemon that overshadow them (those lists are kinda obvious, so I won't elaborate here). Hydreigon was a more natural fit, as I like to employ a Choice Scarfer on the majority of my OU teams. Chandelure, on the other hand, wasn't quite so simple. I generally use Aegislash as my Ghost-type special nuke (or special nuke in general, for that matter). The swap took a little getting used to, but Chandelure has been pulling its weight thus far.

Hydreigon- 8
The utility it brings to the table as a Choice Scarfer it great, but there are two main struggles that keep it from true greatness- strong priority and its weaknesses. I would likely use it again, but it has to fit my current team's composition.

Chandelure- 7.5
It wrecks stuff when it works, but it doesn't always get the chance. A lower Speed tier (base 80 isn't terrible, but...) and common weaknesses are this Pokemon's Achilles heel. It needs a little more team support than I would like, but that doesn't mean it's a terrible Pokemon. I would consider using it again, but like Hydreigon, it needs to fit my team.

Edit: wanted to use more than just one Dark Horse, so I added 1 and made an account to be legit. Hope this is alright.

Last edited:
The best part about this, is that I can literally use my regular team as it has three pokemon that fall under that 4% cutoff. That said, LGI

Pokemon Showdown! Username: MasterGalvatron
Current Dark Horse Pokemon: Meloetta, Lilligant, Milotic
Current Ladder Standing: 1257

Last edited:
Been thinking about this project a lot and I have a bit to say regarding certain rules.

Why just a Hall of Fame for the top 100?
Don't get me wrong I'm not against the idea as it encourages the use of dark horses higher in the ladder but I think the dark horse project shouldn't be so demanding of a user. It is pretty certain most players will not update their posts with experiences unless they consider the challenge over therefore by making achievement only top 100 on the ladder you make it the standard for when a challenge is considered over and a person can post their experiences. A dark horse ladder run should have a ranking system (points assigned to each rank) with a definitive start and end point having the lowest ranking being achievable to most players, this way a player can feel encouraged to post their experiences post dark horse project while getting some recognition for participating in the project with the project resetting every month with new usage stats. Some ways of doing this would be with ELO setting rankings (1600-1650 for lowest rank seems fair while the highest rank being around the top 100 on the ladder). My personal preference is actually for Ashley11's system in the little cup dark horse project: achieving a certain GXE within a certain number of matches as not only is this easy to tell but it keeps each challenge relatively quick with many "end points". While the current # on the LCDHP is 25 matches since lower OU is filled with more derps it is reasonable to adjust the GXE standard and the number of matches for OU. Also by setting the standards lower it would be easier to implement my next suggestion.

Why is the minimum only 1 Dark Horse?
This one is more opinion but I feel that only using 1 dark horse is not in the spirit of the project as your dark horse is much more likely to get overshadowed by the regular OU Mons on your team. With 2 dark horses a team actually has to have synergy and has to use the dark horses to fulfill vital roles on a team. For instance a team using HO and one dark horse can use bisharp, deoxys, thundurus, Balloon Aegislash and a hazard remover then just throw in a dark horse with some decent synergy. The team doesn't play any different from normal HO as all the roles needed can be preformed by OU mons and the dark horse doesn't need to fulfill a role. With 2 dark horses at least one dark horse must fulfill a role nessacary to the teams play style and find a niche usually reserved for a regular OU mon which is what the dark horse project is all about.

Sorry if this sounds overly critical, but I love this project and would hate to have it not function as intended.

TL;DR: The achievement in the dark horse project should be easier as the current ones intimidate new users and don't have a definitive end. The minimum for dark horses should be 2 as it ensures that the dark horses perform a real role on the team as 5 OU mons can cover all roles a team needs making your dark horses less important.

Been thinking about this project a lot and I have a bit to say regarding certain rules.

Why just a Hall of Fame for the top 100?
Don't get me wrong I'm not against the idea as it encourages the use of dark horses higher in the ladder but I think the dark horse project shouldn't be so demanding of a user. It is pretty certain most players will not update their posts with experiences unless they consider the challenge over therefore by making achievement only top 100 on the ladder you make it the standard for when a challenge is considered over and a person can post their experiences. A dark horse ladder run should have a ranking system (points assigned to each rank) with a definitive start and end point having the lowest ranking being achievable to most players, this way a player can feel encouraged to post their experiences post dark horse project while getting some recognition for participating in the project with the project resetting every month with new usage stats. Some ways of doing this would be with ELO setting rankings (1600-1650 for lowest rank seems fair while the highest rank being around the top 100 on the ladder). My personal preference is actually for Ashley11's system in the little cup dark horse project: achieving a certain GXE within a certain number of matches as not only is this easy to tell but it keeps each challenge relatively quick with many "end points". While the current # on the LCDHP is 25 matches since lower OU is filled with more derps it is reasonable to adjust the GXE standard and the number of matches for OU. Also by setting the standards lower it would be easier to implement my next suggestion.

Why is the minimum only 1 Dark Horse?
This one is more opinion but I feel that only using 1 dark horse is not in the spirit of the project as your dark horse is much more likely to get overshadowed by the regular OU Mons on your team. With 2 dark horses a team actually has to have synergy and has to use the dark horses to fulfill vital roles on a team. For instance a team using HO and one dark horse can use bisharp, deoxys, thundurus, Balloon Aegislash and a hazard remover then just throw in a dark horse with some decent synergy. The team doesn't play any different from normal HO as all the roles needed can be preformed by OU mons and the dark horse doesn't need to fulfill a role. With 2 dark horses at least one dark horse must fulfill a role nessacary to the teams play style and find a niche usually reserved for a regular OU mon which is what the dark horse project is all about.

Sorry if this sounds overly critical, but I love this project and would hate to have it not function as intended.

TL;DR: The achievement in the dark horse project should be easier as the current ones intimidate new users and don't have a definitive end. The minimum for dark horses should be 2 as it ensures that the dark horses perform a real role on the team as 5 OU mons can cover all roles a team needs making your dark horses less important.
I've been meaning to update for that more than one is ideal (several are using teams with more than one or a few I (you and I if I recall)) and if it is supported then we will discuss, but as it is the first time, we are trying to gauge what does and doesn't work (team comp, rules, etc.) and are discussing it. Glad to know you have taken a liking and wish to help. :D

will update post at later point.

Last edited:
Pokemon Showdown! Username: yung lion
Dark Horse Pokemon: Weavile
Current Ladder Standing: 1379ELO
Dark Horse Complete Set:

Weavile @

EVs: 252 Atk / 236 Spd / 16 HP / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard

17-2 with the team so far.

Weavile is so underrated that it's almost sickening, it keeps consistent pressure on the other teams defensive mons because they don't want to lose their items and take a huge hit. Added more speed since Greninja proved to be a bit of a problem, the 236 speed evs gives Weavile enough to outspeed fully invested positive natured Ninjas. Dumped the rest into HP, not sure if it helps but meh.

Decided to post his set cause ... why not?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)