The Anti-Hax Formula: Curtain Call

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm just amazed by how much of this debate spilled over into the serious non-joke weather glitch topic.

you guys got me good ^_^

few things:

only once i got suspicious and that was articanus not receiving ICBB while bc did but this only bothered me for a half hour

this is amazing and well played prank, good job to everyone involved

oh, and i still think the ladder is a good idea x=

I'm just amazed by how much of this debate spilled over into the serious non-joke weather glitch topic.
I was planning on addressing myself, actually. I was prepared to be foul and short tempered about the whole deal after Obi went on about altering game mechanics and then adding this. Thankfully it wasn't necessary. :justin:

I am totally aware of that, but stress makes me act weird sometimes. All this did make me realize something, though. The entire reason this prank worked is because it actually seemed realistic-it seemed like something Smogon would actually do. To be honest, that actually scared me-a lot. One day we may go too far in order to obtain a "better metagame", and it won't be a prank. Please be careful, Smogon.
Oh man. Maybe it's just the 'hax!!!!!' spirit in Shoddy but I really did believe in this, and I'd say at least 90% of Smogon members probably did too.

Oh man.

(Well, maybe not 90%)

I have to say Doug, good prank. But you really gave it away when I posted "I smell an April Fools joke.", and proceeded to delete my post and reply swiftly with commentary stating posters should stay on topic, when normally you would simply infract a user for spam.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1841922&postcount=22

Thankfully for you you did this promptly, so I don't think anyone caught on. Good job none the less.

For the rest of you, did you sincerely believe this was real when it is consistently emphasized to the community about how important it is to maintain as close to an image of the original games as possible for Shoddy and the smogon community? Silly people.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not everyone believes that, as evidenced by the Pursuit glitch topic. The majority seem to be in favor of doing nothing about it.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I wish I could have seen how chaotic shoddy was at the later parts of this, it was funny enough at the start with just the 1/17 chance! (dam time zones)

Awesome prank.

I even feel honored to having fallen victim of it. Elaborate, yet effective. A mastermind's work.

Many thanks for the laughs!

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tangerine mentioned it, but I managed to figure it out shortly before the thing went up. There were a bunch of things that were just "fishy" about the whole thing, and I had it figured out, but for a second there, I was actually on the fence about it. (props to tangerine for not breaking down when i started poking)

That said, watching the reactions was fucking hilarious, and there's an upside. There may be some whiny bitches who quit Smogon and never come back! That's enough for me, imo.

It is clear to me that Smogon decided to implement this clause, heard the public outcry against it, and subsequently used April Fools' Day as an excuse to go "heh j/k guys ^___________^;;;;". Master PR stroke, guys.

In honour of this great deceit of the public, I call Doug as Smogon Presidential Candidate 2009.

This brightened up a dark day for me, thanks.

I'm still shaking my head at how you magnificent bastards pulled this off. Unbelievable.

And Doug, I think you deserve this (mildly NSFW) for coming up with the original idea and planning it to the extent you did.

I did start to wonder when I saw DM post in Policy Review. Otherwise, I just thought this whole anti-hax business might be cool to try out, just for two weeks--so long as it never, ever made its way into the main ladders.

I was surprised to find out that the whole thing was an April Fools joke though, excellent work guys, and especially Doug.

To be honest, I'm actually rather disappointed this was a joke. Assuming it was real, and the formula was a complex as claimed, trying to figure it out enough to take advantage of it would have kept my normally wasted free time occupied for awhile.

Oh. I would also like to mention that the distraction of the new "OU list" was brilliant. It was obviously completely fake, and very few had doubts otherwise, but it was just enough to distract posters from the real prank despite it being so obvious. For that you deserve a box o' chocolates.

I have to admit this fooled me. Luckily, I didn't get too involved so I didn't waste time on any angry rants or anything (I was pretty neutral on the subject overall).

One thing almost made me suspicious, though. I asked two people in #biuret what was said when it changed a match, and I couldn't get an adequate answer out of either. Obi deflected that nicely by saying he had never seen it change a match, then start ranting about how it didn't change enough matches.

Impressive stunt. I was a bit suspicious at times, but I never thought this wasn't serious. Which is probably a bad thing, but I don't know who it reflects badly on.

So, the anti-hax formula was a coin flip the entire time? Awesome. Still, looks like the proposal I made about this was for naught. Not that I would have wanted this sort of thing implemented, though, so perhaps it's for the best.

Well done, guys. I've been watching the whole thing develop but never really bothered to post. However, I must say, well played. You almost convinced me that perhaps this wasn't such a bad idea after all...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)