The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
oh yeah baby preemptive strike

I didn't watch the second episode before posting that. feels good.
dont get me wrong, i still think it's worth watching if youve not read the book, because the underlying material is actually fucking fantastic. but the adaptation of it is really mangled.

dont get me wrong, i still think it's worth watching if youve not read the book, because the underlying material is actually fucking fantastic. but the adaptation of it is really mangled.
To be fair I don't know how good of a thriller it is in the original, but IG really bogged it down for me, plus I can't stand the accentuated idealistic-MC-finds-out-the-world-is-complicated shtick they have going.

man i think y'all are being hella tough on boku no hero tbh. episode 1 wasn't too enticing for me, but ep 2 was easily one of the best eps of anime i've seen this season. the animation + art stylizaton was very well done imo and it's just setting up for a killer ep 3. i really liked how it tugged at my heart strings; you'd have to be callous af to not feel a lil. the only aggravating thing about the show so far is the overly apologetic mc, but after end of the ep 2, i believe he'll transition out of this. really excited to see where this goes; the pacing so far kinda suggests to me it'll be able to have another season. i'm going in blind without reading any of the manga though.

boku no hero is the only anime i'm watching so far (i have a thesis defense coming up soon so i can't be picking up a ton of shows) but i mostly agree with the others - it's been pretty normal and generic so far and nothing has seriously impressed me. that being said i know it gets really good later on so i'd still absolutely consider it to be one of the must-watch shows of the season

Stratos

Banned deucer.
legitimately the reason i dont wanna watch boku no hero academia because its name is so fucking generic and bad

alright, just caught up with joker game.

rodan said on irc that it was very much so thought-out which, to an extent, made it a bit boring. i was expecting overly pedantic psychological drivel, but tbh i thought it was pretty nice overall. i know a few others have expressed concerns w/ how the mc was seen as being a bit of dumbass in ep 1 and magically refined his acumen by ep 2. i on the other hand didn't think the development was too far-fetched given his introduction-- sakuma was a relatively naive soldier who 'stuck to his guns'. after he was given a first hand lesson about clandestine tactics, the end of the episode 2 reflected how he knew his ideals weren't going to get him anywhere. i felt like they handled his thought process well-- it wasn't very contrived and the pieces were outlined in an effective manner (minus the cultural divide making us as an audience a bit ignorant here). i found the anime overall to be pretty fun though. i agree w/ asek in that i enjoy the characters being at odds with eachother, and this is a pretty neat intro to a hopeful work.

oh and in response to stratos: yea fuck that 3 min overview. hopefully that's not a continued thing......

also edit 2: i think some comments on the trope of the anime are, by and large, relevant. the direction it seems to be taking is one of the interactions w/ the spies is what i enjoy, and i don't mind a take on a common theme if it's worked effectively.

Last edited:
dp: watched ep 1 of kabaneri and ive very mixed feelings about it. did the ending of ep 1 seem to not make sense to anyone else? no idea how that stopped the transformation but wutevz. i'll continue it tho since i'm a sucker for aot

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
dp: watched ep 1 of kabaneri and i very mixed feelings about it. did the ending of ep 1 seem to not make sense to anyone else? no idea how that stopped the transformation but wutevz. i'll continue it tho since i'm a sucker for aot
Definitely check out Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu when you have the time, because it's v. good & definitely right up your alley.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Btw, who do you guys think is the best manga/anime artist/director out there right now? I don't know too much about anime but for manga I'd definitely go with Yusuke Murata (ONE PUNCH MAN, Eyeshield 21). His only downside is the amount of time it takes for him to produce new pages, but that's only fair given the level of detail he puts into his work.

Also, I would normally post this in my art thread but I figured more people interested would see it here

I recently got OBS working on my laptop and so will be trying to do streams on Twitch / Picarto.tv of anime-themed pics and minor requests, right now I'm drawing EVA - 01:

If you would like to see me draw more just tell me what times you'd be most comfortable watching (vm, pm, or on irc) and I'll try to factor it into my schedule!

Here's my twitch - http://www.twitch.tv/brightobject/profile

and my picarto - https://picarto.tv/brightobject

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Man. Boku no Hero Academia might just turn out to be great. Episode 2 was really well done. It's like the polar opposite of OPM.

bungou stray dogs ep 2 was extremely underwhelming for me. did not feel like anything was particularly developed in the characters or storyline and it was a pretty cut and dry ep... suicidal humor schtick is still getting too much attn (should be more sporadic fosho) and, much like the first ep, the turnout was kinda obvious. i just felt like the first ep was done more effectively and this is not rly reeling me into watching it

queez

wandering and wondering
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
not sure if I like kabaneri because I genuinely like it so far or because of similarity to aot

also started mayoiga and all I have to say is that there is literally a character named Soy Latte. take that as you will

RODAN

Banned deucer.
not sure if I like kabaneri because I genuinely like it so far or because of similarity to aot

also started mayoiga and all I have to say is that there is literally a character named Soy Latte. take that as you will
they are their screen names

Stratos

Banned deucer.
15:05 Stratos: AHHHHHH
15:05 Stratos: HIS EGIRLFRIEND FINDS HIM AT SCHOOL
15:05 Stratos: IM CRINGING SO HARD I HAVE ENTERED A NEW DIMENSION
15:05 xenu: lol
15:05 xenu: Lets hope its the 2nd dimension
15:05 Stratos: lol
15:05 Stratos: anime tiddies
15:05 xenu: you got it
15:05 Stratos: fuk
15:06 Stratos: i mean the whole point of the show was 3 normal ppl and then this weirdo that keeps proposing to some dude in an mmo so this was wholely expected
15:06 Stratos: but
15:06 Stratos: cringe
15:07 Stratos: fuck
15:07 Stratos: am i really gonna have to power thru thsi scene
15:07 xenu: lol
15:07 Stratos: do these kind of scenes get better
15:07 Stratos: if u just
15:07 Stratos: duck ur head and charge thru it
15:07 Stratos: rather than pausing every 4s for air
15:19 Stratos: when i was in high school one time i was outed as "pwnemon" when someone found the soundcloud where i had recorded my entries to x5dragon's epic rap battles of pokemon
15:19 Stratos: this show is triggering my ptsd
15:20 xenu: loll
15:20 xenu: thankfully nobody i know irl knows my online alias except the online friend ive met irl
15:20 Stratos: these days i wouldnt even be embarrassed by it
15:20 Stratos: 1) its stratos whcih is like, a decent alias
15:20 Stratos: 2) i dont do cringey shit anymore
15:20 Stratos: 3) honestly if u think its real funny that i play pokemon then your gay
15:21 Stratos: 4) since im not in hs i dont have to talk to ppl i dont like
15:22 Stratos: wait
15:22 Stratos: ok
15:22 Stratos: so like
15:23 Stratos: this chick just said that they "didnt get to spend long together last night" and now protag is desperately saying its not what it looks like
15:23 Stratos: uh my dude
15:23 Stratos: own that shit
15:23 xenu: lol
15:24 xenu: anime protags
15:30 Stratos: this show
15:30 Stratos: is actually a lesson
15:30 Stratos: its like an aesop fable
15:30 xenu: lol
15:30 Stratos: why u dont let aspies online know about ur irl persona

netoge episode 2 really dragged me thru the full range of emotions today

15:07 Stratos: do these kind of scenes get better
15:07 Stratos: if u just
15:07 Stratos: duck ur head and charge thru it
15:07 Stratos: rather than pausing every 4s for air
same.

There was the one episode-long scene about the protags telling the crazy girl she can't call them by their online names that made me give up, because it was the whole episode long. The show is officially dropped. :toast:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm.....

Hmmmmm no....

That's such a typically Japanese look that it's crazy off-putting.

I would have been totally okay with a mixed cast, but Makoto Kusanagi should have been Japanese and not just the chief. And also she should have been Rinko Kikuchi, I mean, that's OBVIOUS right? EVERYONE can see that, I'm not just crazy???

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
are people actually hyped for the gits film? last time hollywood touched an anime film it shat out dbz evolution so I wouldn't be too hopeful tbh

are people actually hyped for the gits film? last time hollywood touched an anime film it shat out dbz evolution so I wouldn't be too hopeful tbh
edge of tomorrow was based on a light novel (potentially the lowest form of 'literature' that can possibly exist outside of visual novels) and that was pretty great. it would probably work out a lot better if they'd gone the same kind of route as chronicle/akira and done more of a spiritual remake/adaptation that focused more on the themes than the characters

but hey, it will probably still be worth a watch simply because the kind of source material and target demographic is hugely different from something like like dbz evolution

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
kabaneri ep 2:

the plot holes from episode 1 have not been forgotten, but i have forgiven them at least for now. I hope they have a decent explanation for the virus later on

Also Mumei is a beast. Guessing this will spark more AoT comparisons lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)