ORAS Doubles OU the AMAZING team (NOT for baby noobs) - a Fall Champion RMT

INTRODUCTION
Hey RMT side of smogon it's me again, KyleCole. If you don't know me, I play Doubles kinda OK and I have a Youtube channel that you ought to subscribe to. I haven't made an RMT for awhile but after my recent 1st place in the Doubles Fall Seasonal™ I thought I had a decent enough excuse to put one together, and a good enough team! I made this team during Stratos' brief leave of absence when I decided to temporarily take over the "I'm gonna post every team here as soon as I build it" thread. Since then, I have used this team a few times in friendlies and several times in tournaments with variants of this team appearing (and mostly winning) in Top 16, Winner's Semi Finals, Winner's Finals, and Grand Finals. It wins games pretty often so I figured I may as well pass it on to you guys so can also win pretty often.
That being said, the team does have a couple of weaknesses including haha no. It's perfect in every way and even if you have an insurmountable matchup you can just freeze, crit, flinch, or dodge your way to the podium.
I'm also not really looking for feedback on the team, if you don't like it don't use it.

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

Started with this:

Starting with standard Pokemon. Damn look at all of those good match-ups on paper! Basically nothing is safe from this core offensively speaking! However, as several posts in any doubles suspect thread will remind you, your opponent also gets 2 Pokemon on their side of the field, so the core is not without issues. These 2 Pokemon also struggle massively with switching into common attacks, so that needed to be covered for as well.
The list of complaints is kind of long and I knew that I wouldn't be able to find one mon that covered all of my issues, but the biggest concerns I had seemed to be mostly solved with 1 Pokemon immediately.

So Aegislash with Wide Guard stomps out a lot of the issues we started with, we also get the nice fairy/dragon/steel core people are always going on about. Adding Aegislash opens up a weakness to Darks, Fires, and ghosts, but other than opposing Aegislash we had those threats covered with Diancie and Kyurem.
Adding Aegislash fixed a lot of problems, but added a big one. Having 3 slow Pokemon on team preview (Diancie has to Mega Evolve remember) just isn't my style, with a slower lead it can be difficult to generate some offensive momentum from the start so that needed to be fixed.

Landorus-T's contribution to the team isn't best measured in bullet points. To put it simply, it speeds my team up while slowing my opponent down. With Intimidate, U-Turn, and awesome coverage what more could I ask for? Well a little bit, but I still have 2 team members to go.

Grass Deer! We had to dip pretty far down on the viability rankings but Virizion is a crowd favourite so it's on the team. Seriously though, Virizion provides another quick Pokemon (which I needed)and a reliable way to OHKO Kangaskhan and Keldeo. It also helps the rain matchup more than you might expect but we'll get to that later.

Originally this was a Rotom-Heat, however Talonflame improved the team against Rain, Sun, and Trick Room teams. It also takes care of Steel types that bother Diancie and Kyurem so it fit perfectly! Diancie becomes even more threatening when beside Talonflame and even MORE threatening when Tailwind is up so Talonflame was perfect.

THE TEAM IN-DEPTH

Mega Diancie @
Magic Bounce
Naive | EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spd

• Diamond Storm
  • Moonblast
  • Earth Power
  • Protect

Overview
Using and playing around Mega Diancie is pretty well figured out by the Doubles community at this point. With super high offense and speed stats, excellent & powerful coverage, and Magic Bounce to avoid Thunder Wave and Will-O Wisp, Mega Diancie is a perfect, all natural, locally grown offensive monster. The EV spread starts with max speed to force speed ties with other base 110 speed Pokemon like Latios and Gengar and outspeed base 108s and below, with 48 EVs in Special Attack to guarantee OHKOs on Bisharp and Heatran. The remaining 208 EVs are all put into Attack to power up Diamond Storm.
On this team, Mega Diancie offensively complements Kyurem-Black and Talonflame especially well. It also forms a great lead with Virizion to take on most standard Kangaskhan / Landorus-T / Thundurus based teams. Virizion can also switch into 3 of Diancie's 4 weaknesses.

Kyurem-Black @
Teravolt
Modest | EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe | IVs: 0 Atk

• Ice Beam
  • Earth Power
  • Substitute
  • Protect

Overview
"Perfect Neutral Coverage" isn't a phrase that accurately describes many Pokemon, but it is absolutely true of this Kyurem-B set (barring surskit) thanks to the combination of Ice and Ground coverage with Teravolt. Not even Shedinja is safe. The EV spread is simple, max special attack with everything else in speed because for some reason it has become common practice to run things like slow Hydreigon, slow Gardevoir (without Trick Room), slow Entei, and of course other slower Kyurem.
Kyurem-Black absolutely loves to play against bulky water and grass types that bother Diancie. They are sub fodder for this barely legal legend and the beauty of a Kyurem-Black substitute is that your opponent is usually forced to sack a Pokemon just to break your sub and have a chance of attacking Kyurem. Then you click Substitute again.

Aegislash @
Stance Change
Quiet | EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpA / 80 SpD | IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe

• Shadow Ball
  • Flash Cannon
  • Wide Guard
  • King's Shield

Overview
Aegislash is unlike Diancie in that choosing the correct Aegislash set for your team actually requires a bit of thought. I didn't use Substitute over Wide Guard on Aegislash because I didn't think that I needed to go overboard with sub users on this team, but the bigger reasons were that Wide Guard and Flash Cannon were too important for supporting Diancie and Kyurem and beating other Diancie and Kyurem. I went with Weakness Policy for the item because it seemed like the best pick; I don't need Leftovers recovery without Substitute, I dont need Safety Goggles with Substitute Kyurem Magic Bounce Diancie, and a grass type, and the Weakness Policy boosts gets a quicker KO on Kangaskhan and enemy Aegislash. The 80 SDef lets Aegislash avoid the 2HKO from Kyurem-B Earth Power and by extension a Mega Diancie Earth Power, giving me a little more freedom to switch into these hits.

Landorus-Therian @
Intimidate
Adamant | EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

• Earthquake
  • Rock Slide
  • U-Turn
  • Explosion

Overview
I'm pretty tired of writing about what Landorus-T does in other parts of Smogon dot com so you're just gonna have to go look for a general explanation of what it does somewhere else. The only other thing worth mentioning is that I have Explosion over Superpower because I felt I was otherwise covered against Kangaskhan and Steel types, and I have an Aegislash to explode next to so I'm not going to waste that opportunity. Seriously though more people should consider Explosion on Landorus-T. EV spread is standard max Attack and max Speed.
Landorus-T is the best Landorus-T switch in, which comes in handy against the overwhelming winner of the Doubles OU popularity contest. Besides providing Intimidate support it makes a nice ground immunity for Diancie and Aegislash.

Virizion @
Justified
Jolly | EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

• Leaf Blade
  • Close Combat
  • Sunny Day / Hidden Power Ice
  • Protect

Overview
Virizion is one of the most currently under appreciated Pokemon in DOU. Not only does it have Ho-oh tier Special Defense, but with an attack boosting item it can OHKO Mega Kangaskhan, Heatran, Kyurem-B, Keldeo, and Mega Diancie (it lives a Moonblast). It is also one of the best switchins to Landorus-T that isn't itself Landorus-T. I use Life Orb because I have lost important games with only Expert Belt to boost Virizion so I only use Life Orb now. I would suggest you do the same. The choice between Sunny Day and Hidden Power Ice comes down to if you're more worried about facing a Rain team with Kingdra (but any rain really) or a team where you need to get surprise damage on Landorus-T. I tend to use Sunny Day more often now but Hidden Power Ice is a clean 2HKO on Landorus-T and gives you a better matchup against Rocky Helmet Amoonguss so it's worth mentioning.

Talonflame @
Gale Wings
Adamant | EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

• Brave Bird
  • Flare Blitz
  • Tailwind
  • Protect

Overview
Talonflame is the last Pokemon on the team and the 5th Legendary. Talonflame is one of those Pokemon like Landorus-T that will pull it's weight every single game. Because I have played many doubles games, I can assure you that it is most often not a good play to click Tailwind turn 1 just because you don't have Tailwind yet at the cost of your Talonflame. Playing this offensive monster carefully is key to using this team. Pick where you want to "spend" your recoil from attacking and Life Orb wisely. The move set is pretty standard, I go with Tailwind over another support move to support Diancie but it comes in handy just as often as insurance against enemy Tailwind.
SHOUTOUTS & IMPORTABLE
Tokyo Tom for giving me this cool RMT format
kamikaze17 for trying to help me come up with a name and failing
BLOOD TOTEM for trying to help me come up with a name and succeeding!
finally thanks for coming back and playing mons with me lately :) it reminds me of the good ol' days when we were just getting started and putting HP fire on every possible Pokemon
shrop05 for also coming back (I think?)
@each and every one of my current >2000 current subscribers :) I swear you guys are the only reason I still play this game but that's ok because I like ya so much

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpA / 80 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Wide Guard
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Explosion

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Sunny Day
- Protect

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- Protect

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)