The 2014 AFL Premiership Season (once again, just in case)

FINALLY they got their first win of the season! But oh no, no such thing as a clean getaway at the Carlton Football Club. Tom Bell dislocates a finger, Ed Curnow takes a goalpost out and don't get me started on Judd's little cameo...

Asek

Banned deucer.
Essendon for biggest flop of 2014

Really though that loss to collingwood was shameful, I think thats the worst individual performance of any serious finals side this year (no i dont count richmond as a 'serious' finals side)

On other fronts brisbane finally got a win :)

Essendon are competing with the Bulldogs for "side most lacking in tall forwards", Essendon at least get Bellchambers back this weekend. Funny how GWS has picked up 3 195-200CM forwards effectively in 3 drafts (Cameron probably would've been a top pick in the draft had he not been picked up by GWS as an underage recruit in 2011) -- one assumes they won't keep them all under the salary cap after a while but still.

The Bulldogs were supposed to be a revived and rebuilt side in 2014, especially having pinched Stewart Crameri from the Bombers

The Bulldogs were supposed to be a revived and rebuilt side in 2014, especially having pinched Stewart Crameri from the Bombers
On some level I'd have to suggest they're better than last year (given they got blown away by far more, by teams far worse, than is happening this year), but they still have the same flaws (no tall forward who doesn't go AWOL and several midfielders still developing and therefore inconsistent). Not sure if the rebuild is finished yet.

Asek

Banned deucer.
St Kilda were wooden spoon favorites at the start of the year, showed all the critics that they were still competitive and now they've shown why they were spoon favorites

The cycle will repeat

In fairness to St Kilda, pretty much any lower table team can get blown away like that by Hawthorn.

Magnificent to see the Suns get up how they did, and the Dockers are back in form, it's about time.

Side note, Carlton are still letdowns, big time

Was a great game for Kennedy. Lazy 11 goals. Makes me wonder how good WCE should be when they are on song.

Also, the bye rounds suck. Good for the players but the ladder looks weird

The bye rounds are real good for stalling momentum in the season. Tight top-3 race but yeah, it does look weird now. Not to mention, of course, the split round in Round 1 (which is awful) and also in Round 18 this year as well.

Good to see Carlton pick up a very much-needed win heading into their bye, hopefully in 2 weeks we can take the Crows down in Melbourne and get the season really back on track

Looking at the clubs who had a bye this round:
Adelaide Crows - 11th, 3-4 home game against Collingwood. They need to win that. Only the one win at home which is unfortunate. They should be a better side than this. Guess 2012 was a fluke?
North Melbourne - 10th 4-3 home game against Brisbane. man these guys would be tough to watch as a supporter. Smash Sydney and Freo away then lose to Gold Coast at home. Brisbane aren't the best team but pushed Essendon. If Brisbane play their hearts out and the wrong North show up, could see an upset.
Gold Coast Suns - I love these guys. 6th 5-7 away game against St. Kilda. Should be an easy win for Gold Coast. They have a nice draw which should see them make the 8 for the 1st time.
Richmond - 15th 2-5 home game against Melbourne. Very disappointing year this year after nearly making the 4 last season. A win against Melbourne which should happen maybe give them some form back
Collingwood - 5th 5-2 away game against Adelaide. I'm surprised they've done this well so far Collingwood. Would like to see them lose but I just can't see it happen with the Crows being bad at home.

Geelong Cats - 3rd 6-1 away game against Freo. Very good season so far from the Cats only losing to power at home which no one has done this year so they are going very well. Could be a close game but only because it's in Perth. Freo need to play their best to have a chance of winning

I have to say I really am pumped about the Cats-Dockers encounter this Saturday night (my beloved Blues have the weekend off, hopefully some of them lend their contributions to the Northern Blues) Gotta have something to look forward to, but that does look like a cracker of a game

But on the topic of the Blues, brilliant victory last night over the Saints! Thought the odds were a little flattering the day of the match but they really blew the game open in that second term. Excellent to win before the bye, now it's on to the Crows in 2 weeks (hopefully a Mr C. Judd graces us with his presence for more than six minutes)

Adelaide in 2012 wasn't so much a fluke as Adelaide in 2012 had two good tall forwards, neither of whom they've had available since (Walker being injured, and Tippett being at Sydney).

That and from what I have seen they've been putting Dangerfield forward to try and strengthen a weak forward line, probably not helping.

Tex Walker is back in the Crows' lineup to face the Pies at Adelaide Oval tonight for the first time since I personally witnessed his injury in Round 5 last year. This is a major boom for the Crows if his knee holds up

Controversy over the three quarter time siren was interesting. 50,051 fans packed Adelaide Oval last night, spectacular effort and surely one of the biggest mid-week crowds outside of Carlton-Richmond

I'm kind of struggling to understand how the Adelaide crowd of 50k is so much louder than the MCG crowds (which are often bigger), based on what I've read there's a difference in the arena size but the Adelaide siren is actually the same volume competing against fewer people. The Adelaide Oval stands are more upright though, so maybe noise is bouncing back into the centre more, or perhaps it's the concentration of fans at the end where the goal was scored (the other end has lower stands).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)