Metagame SWSH Little Cup Teambuilding Competition

Drifting

in my glo stance smokin' dope
is a Tiering Contributor
The voting period has now ended and I'm pleased to announce the winner with 10 votes is...

The Phantump Pain by wesh papillon
:phantump: :diglett: :deino: :mareanie: :mienfoo: :magnemite:

I personally thought this team was very cool, and I'm sure you guys did too with the heavy voting support it received. Phantump is still cringe though. Congratulations to Pap.

I would also like to mention our runner-up, with 7 votes:

THE CUBONE CIRCLE BY DOOR MONEY
:cubone: :mienfoo: :larvesta: :natu: :staryu: :pawniard:

I think we can all agree that Door did a good job building here, but nobody tell him that or he might stop using my teams in LCPL...

If I miscounted (which could be possible I'm tired and stupid) please tell me, but for now I'll move onto the Week Two prompt:

WEEK TWO:

Ever since it was introduced, weather has been a fundamental part of Pokemon. It may have peaked in Gen 5, but ask any Gen 8 OU player and they'll tell you that you still find weather of all kinds everywhere from the 1100s to Smogtours.

But in LC, apart from the occasional sun team, weather is very hard to come by. For this reason, in Week Two you will be building weather teams. The requirement for your team is that it must contain two mons: at least One Weather Setter (Rain Dance, Snow Warning, Sand Spit, etc) + at least One Weather Utilizer (Harvest, Swift Swim, Sand Force, maybe even Weather Ball if a Pokemon relies on it enough). Apart from this, there are no restrictions.

Will you give your own take on the classic sun team, find some new life in hail, or shine some light on the previously unexplored rain and sand? Will you build your entire team around weather with multiple setters and abusers, or will you use a small weather core in an otherwise standard team? The choice is yours. Good luck with your building.

As usual, the deadline is Friday 29th July 11:59pm AEST

Last edited:
2AFD6E36-CE0C-4D78-8EFB-7EA65A2B0DF8.jpeg

https://pokepast.es/4182c1f941363f90

I decided to make a fun little Sand HO team built around the idea of Sand Force Alolan-Diglett. The Idea is to win games very quickly with it’s power and threaten a lot of the mainstays in lc with life orb star, dual wingbeat Archen, and SD drill.

The process of Teambuilding was pretty simple: Hippo to set sand, Drilbur/Dig to take advantage of Sand, and then fill in the gaps.
Eject Button on foongus is really good for getting an early pivot to your main attackers.
Archen is there to pressure things that would be able to take hits from Dig/Drill such as Foo, Foongus etc.

Grookey - for obvious reasons this is the biggest threat. There’s not much you really can do to make a sand team not grookey weak but I tried my best with the combo of foongus, Archen, and p jab drill on an aggressive double.

:porygon: :diglett: :anorith: :purrloin: :koffing: :mantyke:

I might draw some one piece inspired art for this team.

https://pokepast.es/facb1a970cf0e9cc

Porygon and Koffing are the team's defensive backbone, as well as checks to the opponents Water types due to both getting Thunder. Both also have Rain Dance, meaning there are 3 rain setters. Purrloin sets 8 turns of Rain, while Thunder Wave prevents Set Up Sweepers such as Tyrunt and Agility Porygon from bowling over the team, as well as general speed control. Mantyke and Anorith are the Swift Swimmers of choice due to not being weak to Grassy Glide and having incredible power with Life Orb and Swords Dance respectively.

Rain Teams: The only weather in Little Cup without an auto setter. Rain can be extremely dominant in the right circumstances, and I wanted a challenge that had a good amount of abusers due to the prevalence of Swift Swim as an ability. At first I wanted to use Kabuto :kabuto: (https://pokepast.es/228c7f977c0a75f9), set is here if anyone wants to use it. Also wanted to test out Tirtouga :tirtouga: cause it gets swift swim, but it just crumples to grookey so hard, despite how good shell smash is. Plus its generally low speed makes it hard to function outside of rain.
I wanted to use Kabuto due to seeing tlenit's DPP match with it and seeing how strong it is. The unfortunate part is that even with a Life Orb, it had a hard time breaking past Ferroseed and would be instantly killed by Grassy Glide. From there, I set my eyes on another DPP rain abuser, Mantyke :mantyke:. It can still reach 19 HP, hits hard and fast, and doesn't immediately die to Grookey or Ferroseed. Having a special attacker is also really good for not being walled by the physical walls trying to wall Foo.

Anorith :anorith: is the second Rain abuser that doesn't immediately die to Grookey (the third is lotad, but lotad is not very good). Having both great Attack stat at base 95 and a good speed tier of being able to reach 18 speed, Anorith hits hard and fast. Base 50 defenses are pretty great too, which are even stronger due to Eviolite. Access to Swords Dance and Knock Off make it impossible to switch in reliably. Its main issues are being walled by Fighting Types and the lack of immediate power, both of which are made up for by its partner in Mantyke. Brick Break also deals with Screens teams as well as Steel types, meaning Ferroseed can't deal with it well.

Porygon and Koffing :porygon: :koffing: are the very reliable walls of the tier. Turns out both of em get Rain Dance, so might as well use that. Since that only takes up 1 Move Slot, you have enough space to run all of the other important tools they need, so you have a good wall with Rain support. I'm using Fire Blast and Thunder on Koffing because the neutral coverage isn't really needed and you'd want it to better take care of opposing waters.

Purrloin :purrloin: is the Prankster Rain Dance user for maximum rain turns. Its the only mon on the team with Knock off and U-turn support, as Mienfoo just didn't fit in the team comp. It's somewhat bulky, but it's kind of your best option for a Rain Dance user that does that and very little else.

Good luck to everyone else

Last edited:

Dead by Daylight

GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL. DO NOT PASS GO.
is a Contributor to Smogon
Screenshot 2022-07-24 143949.png

:snover: :sandshrew-alola: :slowpoke: :carvanha: :mienfoo: :archen:

(Click sprites for PokePaste)

"Ah, the joy of leaving."

Welcome to my third LC team (...ever)! I really like this one for how fluid it is. It's a fairly standard Hail team with Archen as the rocks setter. Snover is the usual set, really: most stuff is its usual set. Carvanha is an excellent cleaner after Sandshrew-Alola has plowed through most of the opposing team and can function as an emergency switch-in to Fire-types. Mienfoo can pivot around while being incredibly annoying with Regenerator, while Slowpoke works wonders as a Fire- and Fighting-type counter.

:snover: :poke ball: :poke ball: :poke ball: :poke ball: :poke ball:
Snover is...well, Snover. It sets hail and beats bulky waters to an extent.
:snover: :sandshrew-alola: :poke ball: :poke ball: :poke ball: :poke ball:
Sandshrew-Alola is the main hail sweeper (the only one to be fair). Its Triple Axels hit insanely hard, even when unboosted, while Swords Dance lets it set up on 'mons such as Foongus. Knock Off lets it deny Mareanie its Eviolite, making it a sitting duck.
:snover: :sandshrew-alola: :slowpoke: :poke ball: :poke ball: :poke ball:
Slowpoke functions as an excellent pivot on this team, as it checks threats such as Ponyta and Timburr. Additonally, Thunder Wave lets it spread paralysis and let Sandshrew and Carvanha sweep.
:snover: :sandshrew-alola: :slowpoke: :carvanha: :poke ball: :poke ball:
Carvanha functions as a late-game cleaner. It stops any Fire-type such as Ponyta or Charmander in their tracks, while Speed Boost lets it shred the remains of the opposing team. It can also revenge weakened Porygon, which is good.
:snover: :sandshrew-alola: :slowpoke: :carvanha: :mienfoo: :poke ball:
It's pivot Mienfoo. What can I say? Anyways, it checks Pawniard pretty well, which is a major roadblock to the rest of the team. I’m also too bad of a builder to not have it.

:snover: :sandshrew-alola: :slowpoke: :carvanha: :mienfoo: :archen:
Finally, Archen is a great suicide lead. It annihilates Grookey trying to block Carvanha, while it has Endeavor to severely hurt anything that brings it down to its Sash.

:Ponyta:: Ponyta crushes Snover and Sandshrew-Alola, while it can hurt Slowpoke with Wild Charge. Archen is probably your best bet, but it is insanely frail and Wild Charge does a ton.

:mareanie:: Mareanie is highly annoying because it’s Mareanie. However, it dislikes taking Earthquake from Sandshrew-A, and Thunder Wave support is very helpful. Additionally, Knocking its Eviolite does a ton towards breaking though it.

:Porygon:: Porygon rolls through this team as we have zero Steels. However, you can offensively counter it with Sandshrew and Mienfoo.

Fight spam: You kinda lose unless you
somehow keep Archen healthy or your opponent sucks.

:slowpoke: -->:porygon:: If you want to run a flat-out offensive team, Download Scarf Porygon is a great secondary wallbreaker and forms an overload offense on Steel-types such as Pawniard or Ferroseed. Additionally, you can run Agility Porygon to clean late game as well.

vs. Sun
More coming soon

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)