Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Thick Club and Soul Dew are the only Pokemon-specific items that works on multiple Pokemon. Meanwhile, the Light Ball only works on Pikachu, the Lucky Punch only works on Chansey, and the Deep Sea Tooth and Scale only work on Clamperl.

The odds are not in Sirfetch'd's favor.
Yeah but Sirfetch'd is an evolution. So I'd imagine it would work the same as Cubone and Marowak.

No, that's definitely a different scenario. All of those are items that were made while all of those evolutionary stages existed, and so either the Pokémon and item were designed around each other (ie Clamperl), the item was made to incentivise use of the far more marketable evolutionary stage, or they felt like being really funny that day with Chansey.

Given that the Stick since its introduction has been so integral and iconic to Farfetch'd's use in the same way the Thick Club is to Marowak, it's certainly not farfetched to theorise that a new evolution might be designed around it. I can't recall any precedence for this situation; where a new evolution is introduced for a Pokémon that has previously had a significant signature hold item. I don't think it's directly comparable to the examples mentioned.

Last edited:
No, that's definitely a different scenario. All of those are items that were made while all of those evolutionary stages existed, and so either the Pokémon and item were designed around each other (ie Clamperl), the item was made to incentivise use of the far more marketable evolutionary stage, or they felt like being really funny that day with Chansey.

Given that the Stick since its introduction has been so integral and iconic to Farfetch'd's use in the same way the Thick Club is to Marowak, it's certainly not farfetched to theorise that a new evolution might be designed around it. I can't recall any precedence for this situation; where a new evolution is introduced for a Pokémon that has previously had a significant signature hold item. I don't think it's directly comparable to the examples mentioned.
Also, you could argue that Cubone's and Marowak's Thick Clubs don't look much different from each other, maybe, just in size. That's it, so there's really no need to give a new item to Marowak.
As for Sirfetch'd, the Stick looks too different from Farfetch'd's Stick; it's way bigger and looks like a lance. Of course, GF could just claim that Stick covers everything. But then, there's the shield. I have no idea how that ties into the whole thing. It could be that a new item might cover both the lance and the shield. Or it could be that the shield is just like flowers for Florges.

In what way?
Pokemon is a big money-making franchise, and their main method of selling more games is to not make all the Pokemon available in a single game. We know that not all of the Pokemon will be available in Sword and Shield, so there will be more games this generation. If they're going to do more games, it's easier for them to do remakes of games they've already made before than come up with something totally new. Additionally there's a nostalgia factor where some people who haven't played a Pokemon game in a while will be enticed to get a remake of the first one they played. The Game Boy Advance had 1st gen remakes, DS had 2nd gen, 3DS had 3rd gen, and the Switch will have 4th gen.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
By the way, can I say how much I hate the way this looks?

Screw that double apostrophe at the end.
Painful, true. But a price worth paying. Always had a soft-spot for poor old Farfetch'd, who had so much style but was so incredibly weak. As far as style goes, Sirfetch'd is a worthy successor, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will at least be passable in-game.

Pokemon is a big money-making franchise, and their main method of selling more games is to not make all the Pokemon available in a single game. We know that not all of the Pokemon will be available in Sword and Shield, so there will be more games this generation. If they're going to do more games, it's easier for them to do remakes of games they've already made before than come up with something totally new. Additionally there's a nostalgia factor where some people who haven't played a Pokemon game in a while will be enticed to get a remake of the first one they played. The Game Boy Advance had 1st gen remakes, DS had 2nd gen, 3DS had 3rd gen, and the Switch will have 4th gen.
It'd be lazy if they went with Gen 4 remakes at this point because we already got Yellow remakes on the Switch with Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee. That'd make three main-series releases on the Switch with only one of those (SwSh) being an original idea. That's subpar, in my opinion.

Remakes and remasters just need to stop already. They've been popping up everywhere since the start of the decade, and all of this nostalgia-bait is now affecting the film industry, too. I accepted FR/LG and HG/SS considering RBY and GSC had no connection to the GBA and beyond titles, but ORAS and LGPE were completely unnecessary, and DPP remakes will be just as unneeded. If this continues, we'll be seeing Sun and Moon remakes several years into the future, taking development time and resources away from original titles.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Adding in my two cents about the whole "will Sirfetch'd be able to use Stick" debate... I think it will. My reasoning? Well it's based on how they handled other Pokemon-specific held items:

Clamperl's Deep Sea Scale & Deep Sea Tooth: The fact they give Clamperl any kind of boost is a bonus to their true purpose: being used to evolve Clamperl. They might as well be as useless as the Sachet & Whipped Dream.

Pikachu's Light Ball: Mascot status. Without it there's no reason not to evolve Pikachu into a Raichu. With it Pikachu's Attack & Special Attack are higher then Raichu's and has no drawbacks unlike Life Orb & Choice Items or only gives a small boost to one stat (Muscle Band & Wise Glasses) or for a Type.

Chansey's Lucky Punch: As mentioned, it's a joke on Chansey's name (specifically its Japanese name which is literally "Lucky"). If Lucky is lucky, its Lucky Punch will let it do a critical hit.

Cubone Family's Thick Club: The only one of these items which affect multiple Pokemon, it was even extended to Alolan Marowak. Why? Well could be because they all wield femur bones as weapons and the Thick Club is just a femur bone that's assumably more sturdy than their normal one. Also the length of the bone doesn't seem to be an issue, Cubone, Marowak, and Alolan Marowak's clubs are all different lengths but either the Thick Club either is the perfect length it's usable by all or it can somehow change shape depending which Pokemon is wielding it.

So, where does that leave Stick? Stick probably won't be needed to evolve Farfetch'd, Fafetch'd isn't a mascot of anything, and there's no joke connected with Farfetch'd and Stick. So Stick falls into the category of the Thick Club. Now, yes, there is a massive size difference between the leek that Farfetch'd and Sirfecth'd uses. But the thing is I would buy it if you told me that the Stick simply grows to match the preference of Farfetch'd or Sirfetch'd because it's still a plant even if it has been cut.

(Though honestly I think these items really need an update to make their effects more useful, maybe even have an effect for Pokemon who aren't the target species. This also goes for the evolution items with no in-battle effect, the normal held items which are needed to evolve certain Pokemon, and the Incenses)

It'd be lazy if they went with Gen 4 remakes at this point because we already got Yellow remakes on the Switch with Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee. That'd make three main-series releases on the Switch with only one of those (SwSh) being an original idea. That's subpar, in my opinion.

Remakes and remasters just need to stop already. They've been popping up everywhere since the start of the decade, and all of this nostalgia-bait is now affecting the film industry, too. I accepted FR/LG and HG/SS considering RBY and GSC had no connection to the GBA and beyond titles, but ORAS and LGPE were completely unnecessary, and DPP remakes will be just as unneeded. If this continues, we'll be seeing Sun and Moon remakes several years into the future, taking development time and resources away from original titles.
At this point the Let's Go games are being treated as their own thing. It's "connected" to the main series but it's not part of the "core series" unlike the remakes as we know them.

As for them stopping the remakes, I agree and disagree. I agree that we kind of don't really need to play through the same story again except with the updated graphics and mechanics. BUT I disagree because I would then rather they tell a new story in the old regions that maybe takes place a year or few after the original games. I played DPPt, now show me what happened after them.

Coming from the perspective of someone who isn't as affected by the release of a Pokemon game (I've only ever played Emerald, and don't plan on getting a new game because starting from scratch would feel really weird), I'm actually fine with Pokemon remakes. While they aren't as exciting because there's less new stuff to get excited over, it's still an opportunity for people who haven't played the originals to experience these older games. It's been nine years and two consoles since the release of Platinum. There are plenty of people who haven't explored Sinnoh because they were too young or didn't even exist, and not everyone is willing to go through the hassle of getting an old console and game cartridge off of Ebay.

(Though honestly I think these items really need an update to make their effects more useful, maybe even have an effect for Pokemon who aren't the target species. This also goes for the evolution items with no in-battle effect, the normal held items which are needed to evolve certain Pokemon, and the Incenses)
Just delete/combine all of those. The mon-specific boosting items are fine, you only find those if you Thief/catch a specific species, but 90% of the evolution items are just an annoying waste of bag space. Delete them and make the mons evolve by level or stone. I guarantee you no one will care if it’s suddenly easier to get a Slurpuff than it was before.

You're confusing what you think they should do for what they actually will do. The games have been subpar for a while now in terms of improvement from one to another. But this all reminds me of something I saw on Twitter - I believe it was about music and forget exactly what it was, but to paraphrase, the culture of 'stanning' has removed people from the reality that people/corporate entities will naturally have some variance in the quality of their work over time. Nobody is forcing you to buy the next Pokemon games and it doesn't make you any less of a Pokemon fan if you aren't buying every single game that comes out.

Also im not sure if you guys have noticed, but p much every remake has come out a decade after the originals. Thats a really long time. Like a REALLY long time. Tons of changes to balance and tone happens between them, as well as graphics. Just to compare, GSC was on the gameboy color while HGSS was on the DS. The leap is so strong you can see it from orbit. Not only that but Sinnoh was plagued with infamous issue like the goddang crawling hp boxes or the least flattering selection of HMs ever. There will never not be a demand for them because on this track they are on the nostalgia will always be there.

Also im not sure if you guys have noticed, but p much every remake has come out a decade after the originals. Thats a really long time. Like a REALLY long time. Tons of changes to balance and tone happens between them, as well as graphics. Just to compare, GSC was on the gameboy color while HGSS was on the DS. The leap is so strong you can see it from orbit. Not only that but Sinnoh was plagued with infamous issue like the goddang crawling hp boxes or the least flattering selection of HMs ever. There will never not be a demand for them because on this track they are on the nostalgia will always be there.
Being aware of it doesn't change or invalidate the sentiment that constantly leaning on reboots and remakes stifles creativity and innovation - I'm sure it's been about 10 years since the last Joker movie as well. I was just pointing out that at this point one shouldn't be holding their breath expecting Pokemon to do anything groundbreaking as it's just a big money IP that makes most of its money from merchandise.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I would also like to chime in with a little note about the duality of remakes. As each generation of hardware is so much more powerful than the previous ones, eventually there becomes a discrepancy between what the console is capable of, and how the game being remade was designed to fit within the constraints of its original console. You'll either have to make a game that looks kinda crummy considering the console it's on, or change so many aspects of the remade game that the point of remaking it is lost somewhere in it.

LGPE illustrated this the best, I think. It went for the former approach: A faithful recreation of a game world designed so it could fit on a cartridge with 400 kB of storage space. It's a region designed with a strict grid in mind, a top-down perspective, fixed camera, all buildings being vastly bigger on the inside, bare-bones town layouts, very little terrain variation, and so on. Seeing SwSh in comparison really illustrates that the Switch is capable of so much more.

To go for the other option, they'd have to remake a game to effectively be like SwSh. They can't take a DS game, polish up the world tile-by-tile, and hope to sell it by nostalgia alone. They would have to redesign Sinnoh almost from scratch, and by that point, would it even be recognizable as Sinnoh? Spending so much money on creating a high-res region to match Galar, would it make sense to restrict oneself to the design choices of a game made for the DS? By the time the next games come out, DP won't be a decade old, but closer to 15. I think they would rather boost sales by following up on SwSh, re-using the Galar region and saving the inane amount of work it would take to create a state-of-the-art version of Sinnoh.

Anyway, we're getting off topic here.

Dang it, I wanted to chime in on the remakes (Mostly because Platinum is my favorite game in the main series.)

I also think Sirfetch'd will be able to use the Stick. The pokedex makes sure to emphasize the connection it has to its Stick, and even though "lol pokedex" is still in effect, it should count for something.

I said this in the unpopular opinions thread, but personally I don’t want a Gen 4 remake. RBY is virtually unplayable for me now, yet I can dip back into Platinum with no issue (other than slow health bars). If one came out, I play it, but it’s not something I have a hankering for. Honestly I didn’t really care for ORAS and I’m counting down the days when I won’t have to look at Primal Groudon anymore.

So... *ahem* going back to what is specifically Sword and Shield...

I just realized that it's weird that they announced Sirfetch'd and only Sirfetch'd. It's a version exclusive, and normally version exclusives are announced together...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)