Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaves is probably gonna run Tera Fire. You now resist U-turn, hit Gholdengo and Corv, don't care about Volc (I imagine Psyblade is a contact move), tank hits from Iron Moth with your solid SpDef, etc.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
See above. Still unsure about 4th move.
Just run Surf / Hydro Steam + Hydro Pump, gives you a more accurate option in case you don't need the additional damage Hpump provides.

On another note, I find Iron Leaves is going to heavily struggle against meta staples, Gholdengo in particular is resistant to all of it's coverage, and can hit back with super effective shadow balls. Kingambit seems like it'll have a very easy time revenge killing it tera is burned, Skeledirge resists grass and is immune to fighting and won't be scared of SD sets. Dragapult looks like it'll often be able to switch in since using Psychic coverage hits very few threats in the current meta and dealing huge damage to it back with u-turn.

Like the amount of people sleeping on Iron Leaves is kinda disappointing, I mean yeah it doesn't like priority bug or dark moves but that attack stat and movepool is definitely worth the effort of making it work. Its got quite a great movepool to work with with lots of coverage even if its defensive type is shit. Its got SD, Night Slash, X-scissor, smart strike, sacred sword, leaf blade, trailblaze, psyblade and megahorn which is all the coverage and boosting moves it could want. Definitely could be OU proper even with that typing working against it

Just run Surf / Hydro Steam + Hydro Pump, gives you a more accurate option in case you don't need the additional damage Hpump provides.

On another note, I find Iron Leaves is going to heavily struggle against meta staples, Gholdengo in particular is resistant to all of it's coverage, and can hit back with super effective shadow balls. Kingambit seems like it'll have a very easy time revenge killing it tera is burned, Skeledirge resists grass and is immune to fighting and won't be scared of SD sets. Dragapult looks like it'll often be able to switch in since using Psychic coverage hits very few threats in the current meta and dealing huge damage to it back with u-turn.
Figured out it had night slash, so gholdengo isn't safe. It does fear uturns too.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
I can't give full on thoughts and stuff but maybe we are gonna hear again the legendary phrase from gen 3

"Man, CM Crocune has no weakness"

Also, this is gonna sound impresive coming from me, the biggest Booster Energy Hater on the block, but maybe these 2 can viable run the item instead of looking like clowns like every other setter

I can't give full on thoughts and stuff but maybe we are gonna hear again the legendary phrase from gen 3

"Man, CM Crocune has no weakness"

Also, this is gonna sound impresive coming from me, the biggest Booster Energy Hater on the block, but maybe these 2 can viable run the item instead of looking like clowns like every other setter
Leaves typing makes me think it wouldn't like to stay because most of the time after getting a kill or forcing switch unless you want to use tera on it. My guess is that people will use booster at first but with the time choice items will be more used since it relies less on tera.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Timid Walking Wake can has 349 SpA and 348 Spe with 252 EVs in both stats. Dropping to 244 SpA EVs for 347 SpA gets you a Speed boost from Protosynthesis, because this this really needed Psudosynthesis or Booster Energy.

Hasn't been mentioned, but H-Zoroark is also legal now, and with it, it seemingly has its PLA stats back (rather than a mirror of regular Zoroark):

Regular Zoroark: 60/105/60/120/60/105
(PLA) Hisuian Zoroark: 55/100/60/125/60/110

More Speed (+SpA) will help in outspeeding our new mons, as well as some old ones, so that's dope!
This is honestly my favourite bit of news today. Now give H-Typhlosion Flash Fire back pls.

Timid Walking Wake can has 349 SpA and 348 Spe with 252 EVs in both stats. Dropping to 244 SpA EVs for 347 SpA gets you a Speed boost from Protosynthesis, because this this really needed Psudosynthesis or Booster Energy.
Yup, that's why I invested my Wake the way I did.

Edit: Forgot the Wake also gets Hurricane, but who tf wants to use 50 acc Hurricane in Sun?

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
crazy how people can't keep leaks in the dedicated leak thread. i don't know why they thought this was the thread for spoiling the DLC but good on you for taking care of it and deeply sorry to everyone else who was spoiled by any of them

Hasn't been mentioned, but H-Zoroark is also legal now, and with it, it seemingly has its PLA stats back (rather than a mirror of regular Zoroark):

Regular Zoroark: 60/105/60/120/60/105

(PLA) Hisuian Zoroark: 55/100/60/125/60/110

More Speed (+SpA) will help in outspeeding our new mons, as well as some old ones, so that's dope!
hisuian zoroark looks so much better with these changes. i'm very glad they reverted the changes to its stat spread before releasing it, especially after releasing two pokemon with similar speed tiers, meaning it can now get the jump on them now. and i will be looking forward to using it in OU, viable or not

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
Too bad Flamethrower gets nuked in power.
then use hurricane on rain and flamethrower on sun. you don't have to use flamethrower in rain, especially considering the lack of ferrothorn in the metagame, and the same applies to hurricane in sun

WHat the heck do you need Flamethrower for under Rain between Boosted Hydro Steam, Draco, and 100% Accurate Hurricane? Flamethrower is good for coverage but it's not like it needs to always be a worthwhile click every turn of the game.
Yeah, but that is the good part, you can customize the set deppending on your team, if you want to use it on sun then don't run hurracaine and the same with flamethrower on rain.
Then my problem still persists; TF do you run as your fourth move? I don't see a need to run both Hydro Steam AND Hydro Pump on the same set. The only logical moves I can think of for Specs is Tera Blast with non-Water/Dragon Tera, or Dragon Pulse so you don't just lose to Draco drops in certain late game scenarios.

Then my problem still persists; TF do you run as your fourth move? I don't see a need to run both Hydro Steam AND Hydro Pump on the same set. The only logical moves I can think of for Specs is Tera Blast with non-Water/Dragon Tera, or Dragon Pulse so you don't just lose to Draco drops in certain late game scenarios.
Could be worth looking at the speed tiers and ev for bulk if it get's agility

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
well, what else does it learn? is its coverage limited to STABs, flamethrower and hurricane? or does it have other big coverage moves like thunder or earth power or even focus blast?

One of the appeals to Walking Wake is being able to function as an abuser AND check to both weathers at once. So if you run a Rain team, Flamethrower can break Steels outside the Sun, and you wouldn't click it under Rain the same way you wouldn't click Hurricane under Sun. You seem too insistent on the idea that all 4 moves must be frequently viable options to click, rather than focusing on the fact that Wake can more or less nail everything with its STABs and typical weather support and the other move slots are for deterring some specific counterplay options.

What Pika Pal said above, but if you're really struggling to figure out a 4th move, you could also potentially run Sleep Talk to give Wake the ability to be an occasional sleep absorber, I guess. That being said, Flamethrower is still fine outside of Rain, and Hydro Pump + Hydro Steam on Rain is also fine since Pump will give you that extra oomph vs bulkier threats while Steam would be the more consistent, but weaker option.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)