Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
You're definitely not the only person to see this, Shurtugal. Kingambit with Tera is an incredibly stupid mon to face due to how Supreme Overlord works. If Tera was banned, revenging Kingambit would be a lot simpler rather than your revenge kill attempt giving the Kingambit user the chance to further set up and sweep your team. Kingambit yet another mon broken by Tera.
No, Kingambit is still stupid without tera, it can easily just run a resist berry over Boots & will accomplish more or less the same thing. This mon's ability is just too strong, and the only way around Gambit is preserving its counter for endgame, because there is 0 way to prevent the 5+ overload boost that it can get from doing Absolutely Nothing. That's just my opinion though, I could be wrong, but I do not believe Tera pushes King over the edge. It's already over the edge, tera is just augmenting it further.

The fact that half of you are sitting here defending shit like Quick Claw and whining about scald/knock off/toxic shows that a lot of you guys are just straight up morons who have no idea what you're talking about. Quick Claw is fundamentally uncompetitive, good or not, and should be banned for the same reason that Evasion, 1HKO moves, and King's Rock are- encouraging luck based strategies that result in the better player not winning. This isn't VGC, we don't allow dumb uncompetitive shit to run free in our metagames, so we shouldn't allow Quick Claw either. End of fucking story.

Scald/toxic/knock off were never broken and their removal from the game has been a large reason as to why Gen 9 has been the clusterfuck it has been so far. You can whine about stall benefitting from those moves all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that stall hasn't been good in the meta since Gen fucking 7 at the latest. As it turns out, having defensive answers to the extremely powerful offensive mons in the tier is a good thing, and removing that turns the meta into a hyper offensive hellscape where doing anything other than setting up screens and sweeping is pointless. There isn't a debate to be had about that, if you think otherwise, you're just objectively wrong and should probably shut up.
There's no reason to belittle others, speak disrespectfully to others, or put others down. We are all just providing our input here on our leisure free time. Calling someone a moron for discussing their opinion is really uncalled for, so let's try to be nice to one another.

Tiering is a complicated thing, that I can tell you from years of contribution to this website. What I can say, though, is that banning stuff is usually towards a response to things that are happening in the metagame. I haven't really seen Quick Claw being used in top play, due to its inconsistencies. Going first is also not nearly as strong as OHKO, or Evasion, and I don't think these comparisons are fair. Moving first does not automatically provide you a winning turn. You're also sacrificing the opportunity of running an item that can provide better, consistent value in lieu of using something that only works 10% of the time, and is maybe beneficial 1% out of the 10% of time that it is activated.

Stall was good in all previous generations, and the biggest hit to stall are both the Tera mechanic introduced, and the nerf to recovery PP. I don't believe Knock/Scald removal are totally to look at for why Stall is weaker. I can see the argument about Toxic... but I don't really understand why you'd discuss these things anyway? unless DLC adds more of the moves on more Pokemon, talking about it is just pointless

No, Kingambit is still stupid without tera, it can easily just run a resist berry over Boots & will accomplish more or less the same thing. This mon's ability is just too strong, and the only way around Gambit is preserving its counter for endgame, because there is 0 way to prevent the 5+ overload boost that it can get from doing Absolutely Nothing. That's just my opinion though, I could be wrong, but I do not believe Tera pushes King over the edge. It's already over the edge, tera is just augmenting it further.
I agree that Kingambit is stupid even without Tera, but I don't think it'd be so dumb to the point of banworthy without Tera, and if it is still banworthy, it wouldn't be as obvious. There are other ways to outplay Sucker Punch, such as faster priority since Sucker Punch fails if hit by a faster priority move and also Substitute to attack safely behind a substitute. As is though, Kingambit is definitely overtuned.

Last edited:
The real know

Braviary-Hisui @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Esper Wing
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Air Slash

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1892454930-9r4w1j2uu2x16kzwk0s9kp5dtxw3betpw
Tran keeps catching Ls, besides pasive mons it loses to everything unless it teras and even then isn't consistent because it depends on what tera uses. Walls hit recovery or a pivot move are having a rough time in this meta.

Kingambit is incredibly broken. This Pokemon has very limited counterplay, as it is able to reverse sweep any team for almost free under the right circumstances. There's no way to counter its ability, which rewards the Gambit player for essentially playing bad, and its speed tier is just relevant enough to jump all the fat Pokemon that would want to outspeed it like Corviknight. So many games on the ladder have been boiling down to Sucker Punch 50-50s, it's incredibly insane how unskillful these interactions have felt. Winning or losing so many quantity of games stemming down to 50-50 sucker, or losing to King because they saved Tera to ensure your counter didnt work. It feels especially oppressive in the teambuilder, where it feels like you have to go out of your way to respect it at every step. It can brute force bulky teams, not even unaware is saving them, and offensive teams get punished for killing the enemy team by having to deal with 3/5 boosted Kinggambit's sucker punches.

What's annoying about it is that this Pokemon is rewarded from the player Losing the game, rewarded for letting teammates faint. Then having to toss a coin at whether or not you can attack this thing. Then the best part is, this Pokemon is so absurdly bulky, especially access to Tera (if you didn't manage to bait it out earlier in the match), allow this thing to pretty much guarantee taking 1-2 Pokemon down with it. Especially because this thing is reserved for the lategame, you're forced to never use your Kingambit counters for the entire match, opening up holes in other areas in the team. you could say that Kingambit's weakness is that it's primarily stronger at endgame, but no it's bulk is really good and can be used as a pivot around Pult, & even having an Overload boost of 2 is plenty for Kingambit to be effective earlier in the match. It doesn't matter if you lose too much health, because so long as it doesn't die, it can be backed up by a free 5+ Sucker Punch at endgame. Seriously, this thing is ridiculous.

I'd compare this thing to XY's Mega Mawhile, except Kingambit is actually far better than Maw.

This Pokemon has been used way more than the current suspected Pokemon, which I'm not even confident is broken. I wouldn't be upset to see it go, but I rarely stumble into it, and it feels like I don't have to warp teambuilding around it.

But yeah -- I just wanted to voice my concern about Kingambit, I'm assuming I can't be the only player realizing this.
Yeah, we thought Gambit would be a bit more balanced in Home with all the Fighting-types + Lando-T coming back, but if WCop usage is anything to go by, little has changed. Tusk and Gambit are still #1 and #2, likely since both act as decent checks to Gambit. Gambit itself being one of its best checks is both interesting, and alarming.

In some ways, I think Gambit brings a lot of stability to the metagame due to its powerful priority and high bulk. This lets it act as a blanket check to many check threats and playstyles that could otherwise run rampant like Sun and Rain when combined with Tera, as well as a critical check to offensive variants of Pult and Gholdengo. However Gambit itself is too versatile and strong. Its able to run multiple different Tera-types and coverage moves like Tera Blast, Grass Knot, and Low Kick to circumvent its usual answers. That ability is too good and lets it easily run away with games, to a more extreme extent than Houndstone IMO since all of its coverage is being boosted.

Lots of games boil down to positioning your Gambit checks in the end-game so it doesn't reverse sweep and run away with the game. Status and moves like Trick are usually the best counterplay to limit an end-game Gambit from my exp. Making use of your own Gambit as late as possible is also key, as the Gambit with the highest Supreme Overlord boost typically wins.

I think Gambit is slightly more managable now because we have a few more answers like Intimidate Lando-T to slow it down when combined with other answers like Zamazenta, but it can easily circumvent these with Tera.

EDit: Also Garganacl's Winrate is absurd. People really aren't prepping for it in the new meta, understandably so. HDB is too necessary to deal w/ the hazard epidemic.

Last edited:
Interesting to see how Dire Claw has lead people to want more action against RNG. To the point where people want Quick Claw to be banned.
I never gave much thought to Quick Claw, but when I first got into competitive (around Diamond I think? Whichever gen introduced the lake trio) and studied the rules, I assumed it was banned like King's Rock. It seemed like the rules themselves heavily frowned upon every aspect of Quick Claw.

I don't feel like playing with a %20 chance of working, but that's just me. I'm tired of losing matches due to Play Rough missing, so I can't imagine using this item, but a 20% chance of an Ursaluna Headlong Rush is...sexy.

I never gave much thought to Quick Claw, but when I first got into competitive (around Diamond I think? Whichever gen introduced the lake trio) and studied the rules, I assumed it was banned like King's Rock. It seemed like the rules themselves heavily frowned upon every aspect of Quick Claw.

I don't feel like playing with a %20 chance of working, but that's just me. I'm tired of losing matches due to Play Rough missing, so I can't imagine using this item, but a 20% chance of an Ursaluna Headlong Rush is...sexy.
You're gonna like this replay then: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1892493148-eb5nah9ne4eoanph5a3t44qxvsb6s6dpw
(this replay also shows that maximizing qc odds can take some skill. here luna was dead but i predicted rocks on tran to get one more try and it paid off. had i played this less optimally, i wouldn't have been rewarded. it was a no risk - maximum potential reward situation)

Anyways, if I want to give my actual thoughts about qc, I think its fine to not ban it because it will only ever become consistent if you plan your whole team around it (and even then, you won't consistently get an insane number of procs, just about 1-2 most games). Since you can do the same with paraspam which has historically been a pretty playable archetype, I don't think it's overbearing / any more uncompetitive than that. Putting it on a rando mon is akin to using thunder wave on a mon which wouldn't usually use it, in that it might hax you a few times but it's overall not consistent enough to justify. So the abusers will be well known and you can play accordingly. Most of the times there is a qc-safe alternative to the normal play (not always though, I'll give you that. Besides, using qc on your mons is a big opportunity cost (especially for luna or enam/glas, who really want flame orb and hdb respectively) except for slowbro-g for who it might unironically be the best item. Like this has been brought up multiple times, this isn't really different from flame body / static and something like togekiss (which has never been banned in past gens) could hax your opponents way more reliably. That's just my two cents though.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor

This is what I mean by Quick Claw being a cost opportunity item that is often not worth it.... people really saying they'll use Quick Claw over Flame Orb on Ursaluna....

Not entirely true, priority moves are a thing.

Will be against Quick Claw Ban if there is some suspect. I like the luck element ruining some games.
Priority moves are balanced out by having low base power something that ursaluna’s headlong rush does not lack and you are dealing with bulky wallbreakers fragile scarfers that outspeed and kill everything but are kept in check by gambit’s sucker punch

Bulky Ursaluna is criminally underrated! This is the set I created that I think has a lot of potential.

Ursaluna @ Leftovers/Flame Orb/Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Guts/Bulletpoof (Focus Miss)
Tera Type: Water/Flying
EVs: 200 HP / 172 Def / 136 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Facade/Body Slam/Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Rest/Sword Dance/Bulk Up
- Sleep Talk/Fire Punch/Taunt

This eve spread is very intentional. I tried adding as much to HP as possible since it helps with both physical and special bulk. Sometimes calcs aren't linear so the same total eves distributed amongst stats won't always give you the same amount of dmg.

Ex: Lets say you have 336 spare eves and want to distribute amongst HP & SpDef you wont get the same dmg if max HP this because of the formula used to calc dmg. AV Pex vs. Luna

252+ SpA Toxapex Surf vs. 252 HP / 84 SpD Ursaluna: 204-240 (43.9 - 51.7%)

(same 336 eves)
252+ SpA Toxapex Surf vs. 200 HP / 136 SpD Ursaluna: 188-224 (41.6 - 49.6%)

This eve spread makes Luna an absolute tank, an Adamant is already plenty strong! Here are notable calcs for reference.

252+{adamant} Atk Great Tusk Close Combat vs. 200 HP / 172 Def Ursaluna: 356-420 (78.9 - 93.1%)
252 Atk Choice Band Baxcalibur Icicle Crash vs. 200 HP / 172 Def Ursaluna: 372-438 (82.4 - 97.1%)
252 Atk Choice Band Meowscarada Flower Trick vs. 200 HP / 172 Def Ursaluna on a critical hit: 374-444 (82.9 - 98.4%)
252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 200 HP / 136 SpD Tera Water Ursaluna: 168-198 (37.2 - 43.9%)
0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 200 HP / 136 SpD Ursaluna: 139-165 (30.8 - 36.5%)
0 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 200 HP / 136 SpD Ursaluna: 84-99 (18.6 - 21.9%)
252 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 200 HP / 136 SpD Ursaluna: 169-199 (37.4 - 44.1%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after trapping damage
252 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 200 HP / 136 SpD Ursaluna: 102-120 (22.6 - 26.6%) -- 24% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 200 HP / 136 SpD Ursaluna: 180-213 (39.9 - 47.2%)
0 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 200 HP / 136 SpD Ursaluna: 147-174 (32.5 - 38.5%) -- 98.5% chance to 3HKO (more like 30% when you factor in the chance of missing lol)
252+ SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 200 HP / 136 SpD Ursaluna: 408-480 (90.4 - 106.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
244 SpA Choice Specs Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 200 HP / 136 SpD Ursaluna: 390-458 (86.4 - 101.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
0+ Atk Guts Tera Water Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 217-256 (43 - 50.7%)
0+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Dondozo: 294-346 (58.3 - 68.6%)
0 Atk Great Tusk Earthquake vs. 200 HP / 172 Def Ursaluna: 111-132 (24.6 - 29.2%)
0 Atk Great Tusk Ice Spinner vs. 200 HP / 172 Def Ursaluna: 120-142 (26.6 - 31.4%)
0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 200 HP / 172 Def Ursaluna: 121-144 (26.8 - 31.9%)
252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 200 HP / 172 Def Ursaluna: 145-172 (32.1 - 38.1%)
4 SpA Landorus-Therian Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 200 HP / 136 SpD Ursaluna: 186-220 (41.2 - 48.7%)
+5 252 Atk Tera Normal Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 200 HP / 172 Def Ursaluna: 382-450 (84.7 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after burn damage
+1 252+ Atk Kingambit Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 200 HP / 172 Def Ursaluna: 362-426 (80.2 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Iron Head vs. 200 HP / 172 Def Ursaluna: 181-214 (40.1 - 47.4%)
252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Kowtow Cleave vs. 200 HP / 172 Def Ursaluna: 192-226 (42.5 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Gholdengo Shadow Ball vs. 200 HP / 136 SpD Tera Water Ursaluna: 136-162 (30.1 - 35.9%)
252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 200 HP / 136 SpD Ursaluna: 204-241 (45.2 - 53.4%)
0+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowking-Galar: 392-464 (99.4 - 117.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
0+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Skeledirge: 474-560 (115.3 - 136.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 276-325 (51.6 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garganacl: 284-336 (70.2 - 83.1%)
0+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Fairy Garganacl: 199-235 (49.2 - 58.1%) -- 62.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Garganacl: 378-446 (93.5 - 110.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
0+ Atk Guts Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tera Water Garganacl: 262-310 (64.8 - 76.7%)
0+ Atk Ursaluna Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Skeledirge: 318-374 (77.3 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Ok, so you might be thinking. "Wow, those are some nice dmg rolls and all but what exactly does this set do? Seems like a poor mans Dondozo/ AV tusk to me." Well you would be wrong since this set fairs very well in this current meta. Luna is an amazing status absorber. It comes in and scares out so many mons, and can potentially be a late game sweeper with the SD/BU variants! It abuses passive mons that rely on status/chip to progress like (Clod, Zap, Garg, Torkal, Tran, Glowking, Pex, Def Tusk, Def Ghold, and Lando). Tera Water is a great neutral typing that allows Luna to surprise kill mons it should lose to. Tera Flying is also useful since it gives it a ground immunity and fighting resistance. Side note Bulletproof can be used for focus miss. In all Luna is a very good mon that has a lot of potential and is very unexplored. It was getting requests to be banned in the first week of home meta, but ever since Gear got banned this mon has almost disappeared from the meta. Kinda crazy since it's been banned in Nat Dex where there are even more options to check it. I guess people didn't want to use it after trick room ceased to be overpowered. Well I will admit there is heavy ground competition and idk if you could fit this set and the required tusk on the same team, but if ppl can fit tusk and lando on the same team maybe we'll see. Sadly it will be strictly a bulkier attacker since it doesn't get Stealth Rocks :( I'm just waiting for crazy good RMT to introduce ppl to a new non trick room luna. Like a belly drum drain punch sweeper or some. Oh well, Thank You for reading.

Last edited:
Had a fun few matches with SubCM Meloetta, which I feel has quite a few positive traits in this meta.

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Tera Blast
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Substitute

The Speed EVs are to outspeed offensive Great Tusk, and the defense investment ensures that Kingambit's Sucker Punch boosted by one fallen ally via Supreme Overlord doesn't break your Sub if you're Tera Fighting.

My favorite part about this set is how versatile Tera Blast is on it. If you use your Tera on a different Pokemon, Tera Blast is still STAB for Meloetta thanks to its Normal-typing. You'll miss Hyper Voice without tera, sure, but 80 BP is still nothing to scoff at, kinda like a Normal-type Shadow Ball. Meloetta's also very bulky, especially on the special side, letting it survive quite a few powerful special hits from the likes of special Valiant, Enamorus, Walking Wake, etc. In the replays below, I was using Psychic as my second attacking move, but I realized Psyshock is better vs opposing CMers and Clodsire. I was using Psychic to smack Tusk harder, but Tera Blast chunks it well on its own. Psychic is still an option to also hit Valiant harder, as well, and fish for SpDef drops on Unaware mons.

This set also completely sits on mono-Salt Cure Garganacl behind sub. It needs 2 Subs to break non-Fighting tera, and with Tera, forgeeetaboutittt.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1892570631-tb8kpp5ah8wzwkzntcqmvsfwfuk58l1pw vs mono claw, burned my tera early and played kinda poorly at the start, but had QC / QD not proc'd when they did, I would have won sooner. Also shows a CM war vs Enamorus-T going my way even without Psyshock + some QC proc's getting annoying

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1892578266-lkycj59rni3haee9yl0zqoiimw6jaeopw shows how much this set sits on Garg, also updated my team a bit to better support Melo, using CR Galarking for easier entry for example

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1892585905-gvwbb4l438cf2eoopj6lj47u1u601ezpw demonstrates sucker punch not breaking sub, owning Kingambit

I don't see Meloetta being a huge metagame force, or anything, but it's a fun mon with cool, valid traits imo

I do find it funny how people talk about how losing knock, toxic ect was this massive nerf to stall as if it isn't a two way street which allows stall to keep its boots/lefties more easily and has less things it can face that can put its mons on a timer.

There is no contradiction here. Knock Off is a good move you can throw out a lot on defensive Pokemon that removes options to break your walls (Choice items, Life Orb, etc.) or an opposing team's HDB or Leftovers.

Having your HDB or Lefties Knocked wasn't the end of the world when a little something called "Defog" existed, and one slot on offense couldn't stop both Rapid Spin and Defog at the same time. And it would be incorrect to act as if Knock Off isn't in the meta- it is, just on Pokemon like Great Tusk and Iron Valiant.

While you can have these on say, Balance and Bulky Offense, for Valiant it's somewhat risky to throw out most of the time (making it not a consistent option), and defensive Great Tusk using it only for Gholdengo to live, and Recover all day long. Joy. Those same Tusks make it much harder to rely on HDB, which when your strategy requires switching for 50+ turns, is a lot more devastating than BO and HO, which tend more to stay in, fuck about, and find out rather than being light on their feet.

Fact being, Knock Off distribution tends more to help offensive teams right now than defensive. On the end of Toxic, it's always been a two-way street, but a lot of the Pokemon that defensive teams are crafted around walling out can rarely find random slots to fill with Toxic. We also had things like Magic Guard Pokemon which meant that your utility would matter more against Offense, and theirs meant less.

I want to talk about Stall/Balance in general for a second.

Stall/Balance are often regarded as easy by those who don't play it, but really, they both have the most risks.

By playing slower teams with less attacks being thrown out on average, you are more likely to get haxxed. More attacks being thrown against you, less clashes in which you move first; Toxic is even a 90% accurate move and I have seen amany games lost to a Toxic miss, and I've played amany alike. You're also using a much smaller pool of Pokemon than offense.

The majority of Pokemon are geared towards offense in some way, and that means that any meta with defensive teams is also an arm race to keep up your walling ability against an ever-increasing cast of threats.

By playing more turns, you are required to keep your awares for longer, and often have to play reactively. You have to play around the opponent with predictions much more than offense, which can often click a setup move and threaten to break if X Pokemon loses Y% HP, and win the game.

It brings a different skillset, it's not just slower and "it takes more turns!" (such a ladder only mindset). Offense vs Offense games are slugfests where you identify your pieces and throw them out in the right order to win because you have the +1 at the end, or the Pokemon in the position that the opponent just can't deal with. Defensive teams in play force better players and better teams as they have to figure out how that works when they can't just click Swords Dance and get a free kill. It's genuinely a different type of match than "taking more turns for the same end result".

I find the lack of an appreciation for defensive teams to be a major red flag for not seeing competitive Pokemon as a game about figuring out your opponent, and more about just knowing your win condition. I like Balance because dismantling my opponent is satisfying, rather than just blasting through it all because my Enamorus clicked Calm Mind once and I crippled the Gholdengo "gg"

And if you don't, that's fine; but I'm increasingly sad as I play more of this tier that my playstyle is basically dead. There is no risk reward to playing Balance or Stall because there is no reward.

This is a long post but TLDR: I'm sad and I want you to be sad too :(

What can be done to fix defense in this meta? Time for a possibly unpopular opinion: I feel Gholdengo needs a suspect test. Not because on paper it has too much offensive pressure or speed, movepool, typing; because while it is generally solid, it's the ability I take issue with.

This is something that was brought up early into the generation, but as things settled became less popular, until now, where it's just not talked about. But I seriously want to at least have it on people's minds that we have a good Pokemon in the tier with an ability that simply shuts down a good amount of moves, including those which serve to open up playstyles.

Something something Tera; While getting rid of Tera could potentially open up Balance/Stall more, I don't see it ever taking stage without DLC, and with Gholdengo. We simply have no Defogger or Rapid Spinner that can take hits from Gholdengo, Defog, and live to tell the tale.

It's genuinely absurd how easy it is to get and keep hazards on the board right now. Samurott-Hisui + Gholdengo on any new offensive team is free, and even things like Hatterene cannot save you.

uhhh

rant over ig lol

Quick Claw is wild amazing. What a strat…… In other disgusting news Garg is still salt curing everything. It has been very impressive in wcop. I discussed the polarizing Pokémon once again in this video.

When everything is forced to run HDB, there is no room for Covert Cloak. There are a lot more pressing mons to prepare for, so Garg typically goes under the radar in the builder. And a Garg that's gone under the radar is the deadliest as it walls and Salt Cures everything.

Dragapult seems to be running Double Status these days, which gets eaten alive by the Salt Monster. Gholdengo is mostly running Balloon or Scarf on hazard Stack, which has some Tricks vs Garg like... Trick (for Scarf specifically) but that is nowhere near reliable as counterplay. Most of the new mons cannot switch into Salt Cure like Heatran, Volcanion, Zapdos, Enamorus, etc.

The one counterplay general measure I've seen that sometimes works is Sub-Tera sweepers like Enamorus, which can pressure Garganacl, but it requires a bit of finessing and positioning to get on the field. Whirlwinding and chipping it with hazard pressure from Ting-Lu can also be clutch sometimes.

We do have some regenerator cores too, which might be able to pressure Garg as well, though I have limited experience using these. Slowking-G + Torn-T could work maybe if Torn-T Teras. Grass Knot on Torn-T is pretty useful too since it can snipe Garg, limiting its most common Tera Type.

Maybe we can bring back Shed Tail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)