Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I thought Hoopa-U would be broken for sure this gen since it's offensive spread is basically Diet Chi-Yu and Pursuit is gone, but so far I almost never see it compared to other darks like Samurott-H. Has any consensus formed around it or nah?

fake out negates the last two points, and it has better stab
Poison is a better offensive type than... dark and ice? And you're using an item slot + move slot on fake out? For a mon who has no priority and dies to virtually every strong priority move? And loses the unburden speed boost if you switch out?

No. Chien Pao is clearly stronger than Sneasler. And they fill such a similar niche (frail physical attacker) that Chien Pao outclasses it.

If the meta were allowed to develop over a couple months, I'd bet Sneasler barely scrapes by in OU or even ends up in UUBL because there's no reason to use him when Chien Pao exists.

So I thought Hoopa-U would be broken for sure this gen since it's offensive spread is basically Diet Chi-Yu and Pursuit is gone, but so far I almost never see it compared to other darks like Samurott-H. Has any consensus formed around it or nah?
I think that there are so many exciting wallbreakers like Ursaluna, Pao, Urushifu and other exciting mons that Hoopa-U is simply overlooked RN. After some mons get banned and the tier calms down we'll likely see Hoopa-U being used more.

I
Ive seen a couple, the main problem is it’s too slow for the big threats and gets obliterated by mega weavile, gear, and kingambit and frankly new toy syndrome with the hisuians and returning Ubers suppresses it’s usage further.

Hoopa-U is currently outclassed by Ursaluna which hits harder and is much bulkier. Maybe when Luna is banned, and the meta has slowed down, Hoopa-U might start seeing more use.

+1, 6 months of non-metagame, refusing to even suspect garg, not re-test tera and now a quickban over banning magearna and the 2 zama just because they dediced to let them OU

banning tera instantly nerfs everything, without it elecki lose the ice coverage and is instantly walled by every ground mon/new goodra form
Let’s kind and respectful k thanks

stop hating on the council, you aren’t in charge
lol didn't think i needed /s on that, shitting on council/finch esp is weirdo behavior lol

sneasler has a 60% chance to poison you every time it switches in. pair that with a regenerator pokemon, and you have a really toxic strat. no pun intended. and thats not even including the damage from fake out and u turn coming from a mon with a base attack of 120.

Has anyone tried Greninja Battle Bond here?
BB Greninja is... kind of terrible tbh. Worse than Protean Greninja 100% of the time now, and absolutely not worth using.

The fact is, the changes to Battle Bond were a massive nerf. Now you have to be careful not to score a KO too early lest you render Greninja useless for the rest of the game by negating its ability (since the Battle Bond boosts are not maintained upon being switched out, and they can be removed by Haze). BB Greninja pre-boost does not hit hard enough to warrant running anything other than Choice Specs either, so it's very easy to force it out once it's gotten a KO. And since it cannot retain the boosts after switching out unlike Ash-Greninja two generations ago, it is very much an all-or-nothing sweeper in the vein of past generation ones like Belly Drum Linoone, where you get one shot at sweeping and if you mess it up, that's it- you're toast. Losing the ability to actually run Water Shuriken and have it do things is just adding insult to injury.

BB Greninja is... kind of terrible tbh. Worse than Protean Greninja 100% of the time now, and absolutely not worth using.

The fact is, the changes to Battle Bond were a massive nerf. Now you have to be careful not to score a KO too early lest you render Greninja useless for the rest of the game by negating its ability (since the Battle Bond boosts are not maintained upon being switched out, and they can be removed by Haze). BB Greninja pre-boost does not hit hard enough to warrant running anything other than Choice Specs either, so it's very easy to force it out once it's gotten a KO. And since it cannot retain the boosts after switching out unlike Ash-Greninja two generations ago, it is very much an all-or-nothing sweeper in the vein of past generation ones like Belly Drum Linoone.
no
no
battle bond on any ordinary pokemon wouldnt be great, but greninja gets water shuriken, which lets it janitor things with ease. its still a great ability, in some scenarios better than it was before

no
no
battle bond on any ordinary pokemon wouldnt be great, but greninja gets water shuriken, which lets it janitor things with ease. its still a great ability, in some scenarios better than it was before
Ah yes, that base 15 power multi-hit move....

News flash, since it doesn't become Ash-Greninja any more, it does not get the buffed Water Shuriken. Therefore, Water Shuriken is useless and not worth considering on any serious Greninja set.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
RIP Regiekeli, you will be missed as the one out of two viable hazard removal options for heavy offense. I can't say I'm surprised that Regi got banned, but it seems pretty weird that Magearna escaped the quickban too. Also --- serioiusly, I haven't played in ages, and I come back to ladder & can find almost nothing good for hazard removal outside of, like, Great Tusk. Y'all live like this?

Honestly, it seems too frail, too slow, and not quite strong enough for the tier. I almost never see why I'd run this over Urshifu, but the meta shifts are also new, and perhaps it'll find its place soon enough

news flash ITS STILL A GOOD MOVE FOR JANITERING
No, it really isn't. Even at +1 with a Choice Specs, you need to roll 4 hits to have a chance at one-shotting an unboosted Volcarona. (and if you roll two hits, you might not even do half.) That is a Pokemon that is WEAK to Water, to say nothing of the fact that you're locking yourself into a base 15 power move, on a Pokemon who effectively doesn't have an ability before and after triggering it. Even Great Tusk, whose special defense isn't very good (and it is also weak to Water, like Volcarona), has a shot at surviving a Specs and Battle Bond-boosted Water Shuriken if you roll two hits.

Greninja already struggles with power as it is, and Water Shuriken's base 15 power and potential to lowroll into being the weakest STAB priority in the game is a liability. Combined with Battle Bond being arguably the most impractical ability in the game that isn't actively useless or detrimental, and it leaves BB Greninja with basically no niche whatsoever. As I said, it is a do-or-die sweeper in the vein of Belly Drum Linoone, except with far less power and no usable priority moves (physical sets are still worthless). As Ash-Greninja, it was worth it because Ash-Greninja could exert pressure throughout a game with its massively powerful attacks and the boosted 3-hit Water Shuriken and most importantly, the ability to actually switch out and still be useful, but current Battle Bond Greninja cannot do that.

Battle Bond Greninja simply is not good by any metric.

In fact, your statement about it not being great on another Pokemon is kind of dumb- there are plenty of Pokemon who would love to have Battle Bond and use it with far greater effectiveness than Greninja does right now. It is, after all, a one-time version of Moxie that also boosts special attack and speed.

Last edited:
the u turn and fake out damage on top of that is a lot less negilagable
Any defensive steel type (Corviknight) is, in fact, taking negligible damage from those moves. And steels can't be poisoned.

Physically defensive Zapdos also takes negligible damage from either of those moves and has an equal chance to passively paralyze Sneasler.

Chien Pao just straight up kills Corviknight with tera dark crunch and has a non-contact super effective move (avalanche) for Zapdos. Chien Pao outclasses Sneasler.

You can't evaluate Sneasler in this meta right now.

why are you running fake out on poison touch sneasler? fake outs only niche is to get rid of a normal gem and thats such a bad way to get unburden when there are much better options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)