Project SV OU - Lure That Threat Week 39 - Gliscor - Voting!

Week 29!
:sv/manaphy:

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Tera Type: Fairy
Bold Nature
- Take Heart
- Acid Armor
- Scald
- Stored Power

Manaphy is a staple on many forms of Hyper Offense, ranging from Screens/Veil to Rain to even the occasional Sticky Web squads. This little demon got a fancy new signature move that largely outclasses Calm Mind (which some variants ran) and kept the esteemed Tail Glow, and got cool new moves like Hydro Pump and especially Stored Power that greatly expand Manaphy's wallbreaking prowess to new levels. Manaphy is a top tier threat, or at least a big enough to be elimnated by a lure!

the deadline for submissions will be 20 october! and the delay is regretted, were a few very hectic days recently.

Last edited:

SirinC&Kokomi

Pls watch Legend of Shenli
is a Tiering Contributor
Reserving Slowking
:celebi:Wait is it really a Lure?
+6 0 SpA Manaphy Stored Power (380 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Slowking: 366-431 (93.1 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
:slowking:Yeah, although both mons couldn't hurt each too much, Manaphy cal still use Slowking as setup fodder and pack a great hit after setting up...so we have THIS
:sv/slowking:
Hello (Slowking) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Imprison
- Chilly Reception
- Stored Power
- Scald
:slowking:Manaphy can't hurt Slowking much before setting to +6,
+3 0 SpA Manaphy Stored Power (220 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Slowking: 133-156 (33.8 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
:Slowking:So just let it go, and Imprison...
:manaphy:*Can't hold it back anymorrrrrrrre*
:Slowking:To the extreme, we could even have this:
:sv/slowking:
Hell-O (Slowking) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Imprison
- Psych Up
- Stored Power
- Scald
:manaphy:*Turn away and slaaaaaaam the doooooooor*

Last edited:
Anything you can do I can do betterr~
:sv/Vaporeon: @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- SpA absuing move, depends on PP
- Flip Turn
- Wish
- Copycat

Tera Dark + Water Absorb walls the posted set completely.
On the one hand, you can utilize the double immunity + slow flip-turn to heal your entire team as they waste valuable PP. On the other, you can set up alongside them if you time copy-cat right. This is a war-of-attrition approach, and as they run out of PP for moves, they are forced to go into moves which get Copy-Catted. With Copy Cat as the last move, this is effectively a 6-7 move set, as we're happy to copy any of their moves save an early stored power.

Realistically, when manaphy comes in and goes for a boost and sees Vaporeon, it won't go for scald, it'll be too early to stored power, so it will go for boost. Using Copy Cat mirrors what they do, including boosting SpD to somewhat neutralize stored power. Depending on how risky you want to play, you can Tera on low-hp as they think they're about to kill Vaporeon, and go for the Copy-Cat on their attacking move.

The first slot is vague because it logically could be scald, or scald can be called from CopyCat. This is an attrition strategy, so high-pp/low-damage moves are very good there as well. Mainly, the existence of this Vaporeon turns Manaphy into a liability, because it becomes a free Wish-Turn, for as long as manaphy remains in. The free wish-turn also helps the PP war, because the sequence has a net -1 PP for the opponent as they go for a move on your switch into vaporeon.

This is hard to justify as a lure, but Manaphy has nothing to fear from the average Vaporeon, making it seem like an ideal set-up target. This is the way Manaphy is lured, though it is not obvious, and there is no damage threat from vaporeon, rather, a utility threat that is a Super-Revival-Blessing as long as it sits on Manaphy.

Anything you can do I can do betterr~
:sv/Vaporeon: @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- SpA absuing move, depends on PP
- Flip Turn
- Wish
- Copycat

Tera Dark + Water Absorb walls the posted set completely.
On the one hand, you can utilize the double immunity + slow flip-turn to heal your entire team as they waste valuable PP. On the other, you can set up alongside them if you time copy-cat right. This is a war-of-attrition approach, and as they run out of PP for moves, they are forced to go into moves which get Copy-Catted. With Copy Cat as the last move, this is effectively a 6-7 move set, as we're happy to copy any of their moves save an early stored power.

Realistically, when manaphy comes in and goes for a boost and sees Vaporeon, it won't go for scald, it'll be too early to stored power, so it will go for boost. Using Copy Cat mirrors what they do, including boosting SpD to somewhat neutralize stored power. Depending on how risky you want to play, you can Tera on low-hp as they think they're about to kill Vaporeon, and go for the Copy-Cat on their attacking move.

The first slot is vague because it logically could be scald, or scald can be called from CopyCat. This is an attrition strategy, so high-pp/low-damage moves are very good there as well. Mainly, the existence of this Vaporeon turns Manaphy into a liability, because it becomes a free Wish-Turn, for as long as manaphy remains in. The free wish-turn also helps the PP war, because the sequence has a net -1 PP for the opponent as they go for a move on your switch into vaporeon.

This is hard to justify as a lure, but Manaphy has nothing to fear from the average Vaporeon, making it seem like an ideal set-up target. This is the way Manaphy is lured, though it is not obvious, and there is no damage threat from vaporeon, rather, a utility threat that is a Super-Revival-Blessing as long as it sits on Manaphy.
dog move 1 should be haze, boost is removed + 64 pp

kd458

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Trick :Black_Sludge: Slowking-Galar

:sv/Slowking_Galar:

Gesley Slo (Slowking-Galar) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Slack Off / Chilly Reception

As someone who has used Double Dance Manaphy a lot recently, Slowking-Galar is one of the prime targets that it can typically get opportunities to set up on, unafraid of Sludge Bomb poisons and able to get a stat boost before Gking is able to attack or Chilly Reception out to a mon that can threaten it. With Trick and Black Sludge, this set not only removes Manaphy's only source of recovery but inverts it, putting it on a permanent timer that it cannot clear with Take Heart like it commonly does with other forms of status. This is a one move process, and so is not an easy scout for the Manaphy player, although they'll have to think you're pretty greedy for using a non-Heavy-Duty Boots Glowking in this economy.

Tera Dark lets you be immune to a boosted Stored Power (though even without it +5 is needed for a roll to kill), while even a +6 Scald fails to OHKO due to Slowking-Galar's massive special bulk. This lets it use Slack Off to sit on Manaphy as it gets worn down, and a combination of Sludge Bomb and Psyshock help to slowly chip it through its boosting moves by hitting it on either side of its defences. Alternatively, Slack Off can be dropped in favour of Chilly Reception, letting Slowking-G get a slow pivot out into an ally that can threaten Manaphy or into a fast U-turner like Dragapult or Cinderace that can bring it back in with healing through Regenerator.

Be aware that this mon is not going to swiftly eliminate Manaphy if it elects to stay in and keep setting up, as while Sludge Bomb is a 3HKO and Psyshock is a 4HKO after they have been tricked the Black Sludge they'll likely boost the appropriate defence to take less from your attacks. However, it should be able to 1v1 Manaphy from full, and even if it's coming in on an already boosted Mana and would therefore lose the 1v1 it can live any hit from a Mana at +4 or below and permanently remove its only method of longevity. Slowking-Galar is an effective lure to Manaphy as a result, so long as this is the Tera Fairy Manaphy specified in this thread or the Tera Dragon one people use a lot on ladder cus if it's Tera Poison then uhhhh gg I guess you at least forced them to tera lmao
0 SpA Slowking-Galar Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 106-126 (26.2 - 31.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge damage
0 SpA Slowking-Galar Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 160+ Def Manaphy: 73-87 (18 - 21.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge damage

After tricking Manaphy its Black Sludge, Slowking-Galar can pick which side of its defences Manaphy has not yet boosted and attack it on that side; Manaphy can react to this by switching to boosting that stat, but Black Sludge will chip them down over the course of this process and let Slowking-G win the 1v1.
Pre Slowking-G Tera:
0 SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowking-Galar: 58-70 (14.7 - 17.7%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery
+4 0 SpA Manaphy Stored Power (220 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowking-Galar: 318-375 (80.7 - 95.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 0 SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tera Dark Slowking-Galar: 232-274 (58.8 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Without significant boosting, Manaphy cannot touch Slowking-Galar; even after 4 Take Hearts and an Acid Armor, Stored Power will not kill from full. If Slowking-G opts to Tera, it will live even a +6 Scald after max Spikes and chip down Manaphy further, pivot out with Chilly Reception or Slack Off to stall it out more.

Endeavor :sv/great tusk:

Great Tusk @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 24 HP / 216 Def / 232 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Endeavor
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

Great Tusk is an easy lure in for Manaphy as it can survive anything from it no matter the set and situation, and since manaphy often pairs with webs / screens, using manaphy is an natural pick. However, this set is specificly made for that mu to ruin it entirely.

First, If they ever enter against great tusk, thanks to EVing myself special defense and HP, Great Tusk is guaranteed to survive an unboosted surf or scald (Never seen anyone use hydro) and use rapid spin to increase it's speed.

252+ SpA Manaphy Surf vs. 24 HP / 232 SpD Great Tusk: 318-374 (84.3 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

If it boosts, sub up, knock off and wait till your opponent break your sub and repeat the process. Once you reach 1 HP, endeavor to take it down to 1 HP and your faster teamates can now easily eliminate it. If they hit you, simply sub if you could and endeavor once you can't. It don't usually even matter if they get a scald burn as endeavor doesn't care it anyway.

Tera Water is here against rain teams or the occasional hydro pump if anticipated. You don't need to tera it most of the time.

Since it always survive surf, it works well as a lure to tail glow manaphy as well, using the exact same method to brought it down to 1 HP. This set really works against 99% of manaphy and it wasn't just useful against manaphy.

It also helps against other physical and neutral special attackers, basically knocking them out of commission by endeavor and left them easy pickings, while still providing knock off and rapid spin support. Rocky Helmet was mostly filler (don't need the item slot here) but it also synergies well with endeavor, knocking out physical attackers with contact moves after endeavor.

Last edited:
giga manaphy wall

Volcanion @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Haze
- Wild Charge
- Sludge Bomb
- Flash Cannon

tera dark + water absorb giga wall no options for manaphy.
immune to all of their moves.

252+ SpA Tera Dark Volcanion Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 108-128 (26.7 - 31.6%) -- 29.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Tera Dark Volcanion Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tera Fairy Manaphy: 216-256 (53.4 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Heart Swap Energy Ball Manaphy

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 12 SpA / 144 SpD / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heart Swap
- Energy Ball
- Scald
- Haze

Basically, you energy ball the manaphy, and let it set up a litte. Then, you can haze or heart swap to steal those boosts. I made sure that you outspeed by one point, so you can always get off the heart swap. It really takes opposing manaphy by surprise. You can change haze if you want. Tera dark is for stored power, but I think that maybe tera grass may be better. I hope this is good!

Last edited:
So I think we've all assumed that Lure that Threat will resume once DLC2 drops (in a week now). Since there will likely be exciting new threats to cover, like the new Paradox legendaries and evolutions to Duraludon/Dipplin, we will most likely see them as prime candidates to lure in the near future.

Anyway, my point is that, in order to prepare for this DLC to drop, I think getting onto the voting phase of the Manaphy lure sooner rather than later would be preferable. And I think I speak for most of the people on the thread when I say this, especially the ones who are waiting for their clever submissions to be judged.

Of course, I have no intent to insult the moderators, nor imply that their real lives shouldn't take priority over this silly forum. That being said, I hope a reminder isn't unwelcome that I, and many others, very much enjoy the idea of this thread. We all hope to see it continue. I very much don't think I'm alone in that.

So I think we've all assumed that Lure that Threat will resume once DLC2 drops (in a week now). Since there will likely be exciting new threats to cover, like the new Paradox legendaries and evolutions to Duraludon/Dipplin, we will most likely see them as prime candidates to lure in the near future.

Anyway, my point is that, in order to prepare for this DLC to drop, I think getting onto the voting phase of the Manaphy lure sooner rather than later would be preferable. And I think I speak for most of the people on the thread when I say this, especially the ones who are waiting for their clever submissions to be judged.

Of course, I have no intent to insult the moderators, nor imply that their real lives shouldn't take priority over this silly forum. That being said, I hope a reminder isn't unwelcome that I, and many others, very much enjoy the idea of this thread. We all hope to see it continue. I very much don't think I'm alone in that.
First, I didn't have the courage to say this, so yeah big thanks for saying it for me.
Second, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the hosts will be changing on this project, so those will probably be doing it. Just cause I saw this in the OU chatroom.
Screenshot 2023-12-07 204620.png

Voting Time!

:sv/manaphy:

Imprison Psych Up :Slowking: by SirinC&Kokomi
Tera Dark :Vaporeon: by Hyjack
Trick Black Sludge :Slowking galar: by kd458
Endeavor :Great Tusk: by Bruh Wobuffet
Tera Dark :Volcanion: by tunafish
Heart Swap :manaphy: by PenguGuy1

Thank you for all the epic submissions and make sure to vote no more than two of them!
The deadline for the voting phase will be December 19th.

Both I and my co-host are excited to host this project! I hope that ya'll enjoy DLC 2! The new cycle will include DLC now, we are just finishing this cycle.​

veti

Supreme Overlord
is a Pre-Contributor
Congrats to kd458 and Slowking-Galar for winning week 29! The set will be added to the Hall of Fame.

Week 30!
:sv/darkrai:

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb

Since it's unbanning from ubers for the first time since Black and White, Darkrai has been a good OU pokemon. Nasty Plot and Life Orb maximize Darkrai's wallbreaking potential, as otherwise Darkrai can fail to hit KO ranges due to not having a powerful STAB move. Tera Fighting allows Darkrai to pick up OHKOs on fighting weak special walls like Blissey and Ting Lu at +2, while Sludge Bomb hits fairies that otherwise wall Darkrai. How can Darkrai be lured and eliminated?

The deadline for submissions will be December 24th at 2:59 AM EST!

SirinC&Kokomi

Pls watch Legend of Shenli
is a Tiering Contributor
*I wish the fish is not a wish fish with the wish fish's wish,then I wish the fish which is not the wish fish not to carry the wish fish's wish.*
:sv/alomomola:
Wish the fish no wish (Alomomola) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 152 HP / 104 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Play Rough
- Whirlpool

- Scald
- Flip Turn
:Amoonguss:Reminding me? But this fish doesn't have such damage output...
:alomomola:At least Ive get flip turn and can still pivot though
...*Battle begins*...
:darkrai:A physical shield with no toxic...Time for some stackin up ~
:Alomomola:*Whirlpool*At least Ive got 75 base Atk!!!
:darkrai:*Dark Pulse*
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Dark Pulse vs. 152 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Alomomola: 265-313 (52 - 61.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:alomomola:Opts to Tera
104 Atk Alomomola Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Darkrai: 128-152 (45.5 - 54%) -- 43.4% chance to 2HKO...?
:Darkrai:?Wait why alomomola gets this heck without Koraidons in the tier??
:alomomola:with Life orb recoil, it's a guaranteed KO...
:darkrai:fainted
:Darkrai:Time to sweeeeep
:Alomomola:Tera and Play Rough
104 Atk Tera Fairy Alomomola Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Darkrai: 192-228 (68.3 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
:alomomola:With life orb,KILL ME AND DIE!
:Darkrai:rip.
:celebi:All in all, with regenerator and its bulk, use hazard and Flip turn slightly wear down Darkrai, and use a Tera Play rough to shut it down.
:amoonguss:Just as Heatrans being wrecked by Stomping tantrum...

Last edited:
Screw it, :assault vest: :goodra-hisui: isn't really a lure. Presenting:
Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
Yes, :sylveon: has miraculous base 130 SpD, but the average :darkrai: player won't know all of the stats of lower tier pokemon, so you can hopefully surprise them when their super effective Sludge Bomb does...

252 SpA Life Orb Darkrai Sludge Bomb vs. 236 HP / 252+ SpD Sylveon: 159-187 (40.7 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery.

Meanwhile, I decided to pluck out just enough HP EVs to shove into SpA so Hyper Voice always kills.

20 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Darkrai: 282-332 (100.3 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)