Sunny Day. RMT

Wanted to give Sunny Day a try and for the past few days i've been testing a lot and this is what has been working.

Rotom-h @ Heat Rock
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/168 Def/88 Spd
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Sunny Day
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Will-o-wisp

Common lead-taunters don't like his attacks and other wise I sunny day up. My teams biggest problem is a special based scarf tar leading. really messes with how I want the game to go.

Jumpluff (M) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Sleep Powder
- Encore
- U-turn
- Sunny Day

A late discovery by me in the building of this team, this used to be exeggutor but he was frail and didn't do as much. Nothing is faster than this in the sun, he comes in right after Mojimbo and uses its attacks accordingly lasting untill sun needs to come back again.

Kingdra (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]

This really holds the team together. Kingdra coming in on heatran and Rain Dancing was the worst so since i figure people will be running thier EVs straight from the dex ill just go max and come in on thier rain and OHKO with meteors.

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Dragon Pulse

Takes fire aimed at Pluff and growth. Flash Fire / Sun STAB fire blasts hurt everything. This how I take out salamence and Latias most of the time. Come in and explode.

Arcanine (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 Def
Adamanr nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- Extreme Speed
- Thunder Fang
- Reversal

Fire is a great attacking type in Sun and Flash fire tears through everything.

Tangrowth (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 200 Atk/228 Spd/80 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Power Whip
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rock Slide

Depending on what is out at the time if I can trust it will use a physical attack not fire based, Mojimbo comes in and dents Everything it hits fairly well. Most people dont know how it works not playing any sun teams.

2kos gyara after intimidate and what not.
Weakens things for Heatran to come in later

Ive been running a Sunny day team for awhile and i let me tell you jmpluff needs to go, at first i used one too but i realized how short a time it last, after 1 good sleep and seed its dead.

I suggest replacing it with an Exeggutor, they are a must for sun teams stab it has colossal special attack and the only thing holding it back is speed which sun remedies, try this set:

Exeggutor @ life orb
Nature: Modest
Evs:252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest nature
-Sunny day
-Solarbeam
-HP (fire)
-Explosion

When you have a chance to get in with sun active, fire away with solarbeam as you main attack (it can even leave a large dent in some blissey) and use your sun boosted HP fire for any thing else, if your counters think they can hold you blow up on them to open up a sweep for tangrowth or heatran.

I ran eggy for a while, you just didn't know how to use jumpluff because it helps out so much with encore and sunny day, I rarely ever lose it.

I wouldn't run Explosion with Sunny Day. Exploding one of your users isn't a very good idea, so if you do choose to use Exeggutor perhaps swap it for Synthesis or Sleep Powder.

i made a sunny day team too and with great success so first of check out the thread... http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1909087

into the rating. first of all it looks pretty good but one thing you must make sure of is that you are outrunning adamant salamence with a dragon dance under its belt, looking at tangrowth it looks like you do but i queiry whether you OHKO with rock slide after intimidate. personally i run sleep powder to help with letting you set up the sun when its about to fade, but you might really need it to get that KO, remember if you get salamence to sleep you can finnish it of with heatran.

another note, you lack a stealth rock supporter and believe me its completely neccessary. say salamence gets in with intimidate to revenge kill tangrowth under the sun it will obviously kill you with fire blast. intimidate could weaken rock slide enough to not OHKO but with 25% HP gone with stealth rocks it isn't comming and going so easilly. furthermore i think tangrowth holds this team together more than anyone as without him your team is gone.

for a lead might i suggest something such as an azelf?

azelf @ focus sash
ability: levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
- sunny day
- stealth rock
- explosion
- taunt

this gets up stealth rocks first turn and very reliably, only against quicker leads will you fall to taunt such as aero but thats about it, also this azelf is much more bulky so doesn't have nearly as much trouble as it normally would. furthermore it still sets up the sun itself but with his own taunt works as an anti lead and really gets the ball rolling (and little jumpluff hates those rocks!). when you need to you have explosion to finish them off. trick leads dont really bother azelf as long as you stealth rock first turn, when he comes back in you have a super fast explosion / sunny day to turn the battle back into your favour.

if you dont like the idea of azelf use a standard lead ape in the analysis with sunny day > close combat.

kindgra aint bad at all, its always important to keep a pokemon that isn't entirely dependant on the sun to do its job, obviously make sure that you reallise water attacks will be weakened under the sun.

if you want to change indernape you might consider a bit of a mix-ape kind of thing going, consider the standard phys mix-ape in the analysis but think about fire blast > overheat as the mix add essential wall breaking and your team is weak to stall otherwise.

if you decide to give infernape the boot (either changing the sweeper or using ape as a lead) consider a flygon. i was thinking something along the lines of the life orb set in the analysis. flygon will add to some needed physical sweeping alongside tangrowth and the coverage dragon / ground provide in resistances as well as offensive coverage is cool. you'll have some great resistance synergy with heatran too, flygon resisting ground and heatran resisting dragon and ice.

jumpluff and heatran look great... good luck with the team :P

I don't really believe in suicide leads at all. I used to run CBazelf as a lead so it could Scout for me and Explode on Hippos to get rid of sand asap. Starting off 6-5 doesn't help me at all.

I actually added CB rhyperior > ape and its been working out really well.

well the only good suicides in my opinion are ones that explode (im not really a fan of them either TBH), BUT azelf does this fast and has a top 10 most powerful explosion so if the problem is with loosing 5-6 straight out then explode before you die and take down a pokemon while your at it. thats 5 all my friend.

if you belive your lead is better and i do agree it's good, but i seriously urge you a test azelf out, i mainly use my sunny day team out of my favourites and the azelf wins me battles, seriously. also have you checked out the thread i sent you?

Personally i run crobat as a lead, hes effective with setting up the sun and refreshing it plus he has a lightning fast taunt going for him which can break most leads (although admittedly when taunted many leads explode on you)

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Your wasting EVs on your current Rhyperior set. Running an Adamant nature and an EV spread of 252 HP / 116 Attack / 140 Defense you are acheiving the same numbers with 5 more points in Defense. I would also suggest using Fire Punch over Aqua Tail because in the sun its doing astounding damage to Skarmory (69.16% - 81.44%) and also the most defensive Celebi is taking (69.06% - 81.44%). In the sun Fire Punch acts as a 3rd STAB move with 75 base power. You lose some coverage against Hippo but you seem pretty good against it otherwise.

Use a +Speed nature on Choice Scarf Heatran. Getting outspeed by things like SpecsJolt and Aerodactyl even after 252 Speed EVs and a Choice Scarf is pretty embarassing. I personally like Naive because it doesnt hinder the power of Explosion at all. 359 Special Attack is also still a hell of a lot in the sun, 2HKOing things like Life Orb Gyarados with Stealth Rock and 2HKOs -SpDef nature MixMence without Stealth Rock and if you roll average damage it will OHKO with Fire Blast after SR and 1 life orb recoil.

Why Rock Slide on Tangrowth? I think Swords Dance can get some use more than that, especially since Rock Slide essentially only hits Gyarados (which is hit neutral by Power Whip for the same BP), Zapdos, and Salamence (the only reason it might not be a good idea since it gets a free DD, but -1 Rock Slide isn't doing much either). With Swords Dance you also have the ability to set up on Restalk DD Gyara which could otherwise sit and wall you all day long barring a crit.

I also second the Crobat suggestion from who ever mentioned it. Crobat is a solid lead that can Taunt Stealth Rock leads and get Sun up and also come in as a useful fighting resist late game with unparalleled speed.

Thanks for the Rhyperior suggestions I have changed him.

EDIT: I think I am going to edit this later with pictures and such because that is what RMTs have turned into.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)