SPOILERS! Sun & Moon In-Game Discovery Thread

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Quick Question: Are all the mega stones in the game?
Sorry if this is the wrong location, but I was wondering if anyone could confirm what mega stones are found in game? Particularly keen on Gyaradosite...

Been trying to find this information and haven't seen anything about it yet.
Mega stones are post game only it seems from other users. You need to use BP to get them. Some of them are not available (although they may be unlocked by an update later).

You mean, NPC trades? Of course. A lot. I always talk to all the NPC in every town and there are like 5-6 in game trades that i remember. One gives you a Graveler i think so you can get alolan Golem.

PS: I really want an "in game tier" for Sun and Moon. If someone wants to do it i will help a lot.
I'll likely be posting a ln Game tier list when Europe gets the games on Wednesday so you guys have a chance to actually get a bit further into the game and work out what works and what doesn't.

I'll also be throwing up an SQSA thread either today or tomorrow for most of the questions like this.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Trivial notes but it seems like every time Mudbray uses Bulldoze, it is guaranteed to have a couple of dirt patches on it when you look it up on Poké Refresh. Don't know if it happens with all Pokémon yet but in the time it took me to get Mudbray up to the rest of my team, it had managed to get cared enough to reach two hearts of affection since I had been using the refresh function.

Also been starting to get up a collection of dumb roadblocks where there is a "silly" excuse for the roadblock. Just for majorly trivial reasons and see what GF have come up with this time. Found a couple so far:

#1: Can't reach Hau'oli outskirts until after you have met Kukui in his lab because there's an angry Tauros that might take you out.

#2: Can't continue down the road south of the Day Care Centre because a couple of Sudowoodo are standing there because they got owned by Lana and her Waterium Z usage according to the little boy beside them.

Here's to more silly roadblocks~

EDIT: Forgot to post this, but there's an optional event on Route 3 where a guy at the southern end of the route wants you to catch a Rockruff from Ten Carat Hill and show it to him. If you do, you gain 3,000 Poké.

Last edited:
Mega stones are post game only it seems from other users. You need to use BP to get them. Some of them are not available (although they may be unlocked by an update later).
Thanks a bunch! Deciding on the water-type slot on my squad and was thinking about going with M-Gyarados but now that I know the mega stones are available post-game made me change.

EDIT: Forgot to post this, but there's an optional event on Route 3 where a guy at the southern end of the route wants you to catch a Rockruff from Ten Carat Hill and show it to him. If you do, you gain 3,000 Poké.
These are everywhere in the game. The most notable one early is 10K for a Drifloon (daytime only), which is a sizeable amount of money so early.

Wondering if anyone knows the hour trigger for day/night.

I'm at 10:36 pm in Sun right now and it's day, since I'm finding Yungoos on Route 1.
I believe some parts of the game are locked to specific times of day, although I'm not sure which specific ones (for example, I'm pretty sure the Normal trial changes it to daytime in Sun or night in Moon, but I haven't made it that far so I'm not positive). I think Sun is locked to daytime until the second rival battle at the Tapu Koko festival.

Edit: Roar and Whirlwind not ending battles anymore, if true, is absolutely amazing.

Just found out the areas where Crabrawler and Charjabug evolve via Serebii (IE: Very late-game areas). RIP their evolutions' in-game viability even more than their low speeed. Unless I'm grossly exaggerating these claims, this kind of worries me.

Just found out the areas where Crabrawler and Charjabug evolve via Serebii (IE: Very late-game areas). RIP their evolutions' in-game viability even more than their low speeed. Unless I'm grossly exaggerating these claims, this kind of worries me.
get a friend that had reached said areas, trade the pokemon, let him evolve it, trade it back

Charjabug is pretty tolerable. It's Crabrawler who falls off eventually.

How challenging is the game?
Quite challenging with the Exp Share turned off (especially the Totem battles when lacking a clear counter); as trivially easy as anything from the 6th generation with Exp Share kept on. Knowing the challenges ahead and planning specific team compositions accordingly would presumably eliminate much of the challenge.

How challenging is the game?
You can be caught off gaurd pretty quickly; Trainers use items more, pokemon and move selections are actually decent, and While I havent blacked out yet, I got pretty close on some fights. Thanks to the return of EXP Scaling, Exp.share is not simply easy mode; Pokemon you raise get EXP more balanced and you cant just run over pokemon 20+ levels lower than you like in XY.

Overall, probably the most entertainingly difficult of all the games thus far.

You can be caught off gaurd pretty quickly; Trainers use items more, pokemon and move selections are actually decent, and While I havent blacked out yet, I got pretty close on some fights. Thanks to the return of EXP Scaling, Exp.share is not simply easy mode; Pokemon you raise get EXP more balanced and you cant just run over pokemon 20+ levels lower than you like in XY.

Overall, probably the most entertainingly difficult of all the games thus far.
I kind of agree with that -- one other point I would make is status healers via the "Pokemon Refresh" at first I was like "oh, neat this is awesome" -- then i realised how much of a hinderence the actual disablers/status conditions have become. It could be just an RNG thing (i'm not too techie on how these games work) but so far i feel that paralyses, poisons are more consistent, sleep lasts a bit longer, etc. I am not too far in but i wasn't impressed with the first 'totem' challenge -- so here's hoping they get harder.

The very first encounter on Route 1 is guaranteed to be a Keen Eye Lv. 3 Pikipek. I've tested this about 20 times and I'm either the unluckiest person in the world or it's forced like Pidgey in XY.
Can confirm - wanted to SR nature on a Skill Link Pikipek but got Keen Eye every time. Super lame.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Found Soul Dew, Prison Bottle and DNA Splicers. Location is postgame.
After becoming the champions and accepting the Looker sidequest, go back to the Aether Foundation's Secret Lab A and talk to the worker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)