Suggestions for improving Smeargle's Studio

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I just added a "no bumping" rule to Smeargle's Studio. I have been moderating shameless thread bumps in Smeargle's Studio for a long time, since it falls under the umbrella of a few other rules already covered in the overall forum rules. However, the nature of Smeargle's Studio is a little different than Smogon overall, so I thought I should make it clearer in the SS rules. While I was looking at the rules, I also clarified the wording on the rule regarding sprite posting. That led me to consider remaking the Smeargle's Studio rules post entirely. Which leads me to the point of this thread:

This sub-forum hasn't been evaluated in quite some time, and is due for a "policy review". Who better to do that than the community that frequents this subforum?

I'd like some feedback from other regular posters here --
  • Do you think we should make any changes to the organization of Smeargle's Studio?
  • What changes do you think we should make to the SS rules?
  • Should any rules be added or removed?

(Do not post comments about the Artist Badge or the criteria for receiving the badge. It is off-topic ITT.)

Not really a rule (more like a guideline), but: i know people love to receive support and praise of their work. i would know, i had an art thread myself. but sometimes people just overdo it: they reply endlessly to someone's thread with "amazing!" "great!" "fantastic!" and well that gets extremely annoying after a while. So what I'm asking is: continue to voice your liking for art, but don't overdo it!!

(note that i havent seen anyone like this lately; mostly a thing for the future)

doug i think we should also make it clear that despite being called "smeargle's studios" this forum is not only dedicated to pokemon fan art. there's a lot of people who don't understand this.

This kind of follows Doomsday's guidleine but I'll suggest it as a rule.

I've seen people go into many art threads and just say something like "Nice art, it's really good!" in multiple threads, and so I see the "last post by Person A" in like, 5 threads. These people are probably trying to get more post count, but I'm really not for sure.

I don't know if there could be a rule or guideline that enforces not to post in multiple art threads for the sake of doing it, since some people are abusing it for more post count.

Also, this falls under Doomsday's guideline about people just saying "Fantastic work!", "Really cool!", etc. It would be better if people actually post some better responses. As in, telling the art thread owner constructive criticism, why you like the art, what's your favorite and why, etc. because those things will help the art thread owner, unlike responses that say two words.

The only thing I can think of (that hasn't been suggested yet) is some kind of sticky thread where people post art guides they have made. With so many artists in this forum, I'm sure we'd get a couple of submissions at least. Such a thread would be useful to people trying to get back into art, as well as those who don't know how to effectively use certain artistic medias.

Other than that, I agree with what Doomsday and Fuzznip have said.

I just added a "no bumping" rule to Smeargle's Studio. I have been moderating shameless thread bumps in Smeargle's Studio for a long time, since it falls under the umbrella of a few other rules already covered in the overall forum rules.
When you say this, do you include posting multiple times in a row with new art? My art thread is one of those ones that will just die out due to a lack of comments if we aren't allowed to do that...

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Lightweight comments like "Great job!" or "I love your work" may be posted by someone looking for added postcount, but I don't want to put a bunch of rules on that sort of thing. I think all the artists around here like to see people comment in their threads, and let's be realistic -- most of those comments are pretty short. I don't want to scare people away from giving feedback, since the artists are the ones that get screwed if that happens. For better or worse, I think Smeargle's Studio should be a place where you can give a quick shout to an artist you like, without being hammered by the mods.

However, I agree with Doomsday and Fuzznip, that some people go way overboard with it. I don't like it when some people take a quick "stroll through Smeargle's Studio" and bump 10 threads in three minutes, with short postcount++ comments. I actually Studio-banned one guy who used to do that EVERY DAY. I think we can write a rule about needlessly spamming SS with throwaway comments, but still make it clear that occasional comments for your favorite stuff is allowed and encouraged here.

When you say this, do you include posting multiple times in a row with new art? My art thread is one of those ones that will just die out due to a lack of comments if we aren't allowed to do that...
In the rules, it says "Meaningful updates or commentary are always welcome."

If you bump your art thread with new content, that's perfectly fine. Even if no one commented on your previous update. You will not be moderated for double-posting in those cases. But, trivial updates or trivial comments by the artist, that appear to serve no purpose other than to bump the thread to the top of the list, without having anything substantial for people to see -- those posts will be moderated.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I support the notion for a stickied thread with tutorials and faqs for improving artistic technique.

I've had a few tutorials in the making for awhile now and this would certainly spur me to finish them up, and add others to the roster. I've come up with several useful tips and techniques with photoshop that may benefit other aspiring artists.

And while posts of praise are certainly enjyoed, (I'm guilty of enjoying these) when they are just hollow "Great job!" or "Awesome!" posts, they give of the impression of a drive-by post. This isn't the same as a "Hey, just dropping in to say I really like your work. I hope you continue and show us more!" post as that at least shows the other person had interest and not merely out to raise post count.

Criticism hasn't been a problem here in SS, (unlike the CaP art topics, which I'll elaborate on later...) so people are pretty nifty in that regard.

Just my $0.02.

And while posts of praise are certainly enjyoed, (I'm guilty of enjoying these) when they are just hollow "Great job!" or "Awesome!" posts, they give of the impression of a drive-by post. This isn't the same as a "Hey, just dropping in to say I really like your work. I hope you continue and show us more!" post as that at least shows the other person had interest and not merely out to raise post count.
This is pretty much what I'm trying to say. It's kind of obvious that these type of posts (I guess I'll call them drive-by posts) have no meaning and are just blurted out from someone. It doesn't have to be a rule, but it would nice if there was a little comment somewhere that states something like "please try to refrain from "drive-by" posting or your comment will be deleted" or "it is encouraged that you avoid "drive-by posting"".

I rather have my post count reduced to 0 or stopped counting in here (it can be just me, since I'm the person that "post "awesome" in everywhere", sorry). However, if constructive posting is insisted, I could try.

Add-on after KoA's reply: Lol, I'm cool. I know what I did. :) And yes, no one is hinting me doing it, I just want to admit.

So with new contents, we can "bump"? That's good to hear.

ps: Honestly, to those creators in-out there, I don't flatter or merely "drive-by".

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Wasn't hinting that you did, Tooey. It isn't such a problem anymore as it was in the past.

I have to say I completely agree with the tutorial sticky idea. We have so many artists, and a common post I often see is something along the lines of, "how did you do that? what program do you use? can you post a tut please?" (maybe there were more of these in the past but i still see them). With the addition of this "tutorial thread" artists would have the chance to answer those questions before they are asked (if they feel like it) and the amount of those posts should be limited. I think a lot of people would find this useful.

On the issue of drive-by posts: I really hope no one considers my posts to be "drive-by." I try to make each one more personal than the basic "great job" or "that's cool." Sometimes though, I honestly don't have any constructive criticism or requests, but I still feel a particular piece of art deserves some praise. I know i don't actively contribute to this board with art (at least not yet), but SS is actually the thing that keeps me coming back to Smogon. (kinda funny I know) Its just, i got hooked back before i even registered, and was actually doing that whole "battling thing." Now, after losing most of my interest in battling, it is the talent here that keeps smogon on my favorites bar. </personal tangent>

Anyways, to address pc++ short posts in SS. I believe that a lot of short posts actually have meaning and keep the threads here alive, so i don't think they should be limited that much. Something that might work would be to introduce some sort of "minimum character limit" that would essentially force posters to extend their thought beyond "awesome art." I don't know how feasible that would be, but it seemed like a good standard on various other boards I have seen it implemented on.

My two cents so far.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
"No bumping" rule is a good option to stop superfluous post in Art Threads.

Also, I want to propone more "Art Promotion"... featuring artist, making competition like "CAP Art" where the community can vote for the differents artists.

You really can't prevent people from making the flaky "nice work" comments. 90% of people are not going to stop and make a full-fledged critique. They either like the work or not, and the post count is just a "benefit". Making rules on that is unfair and stupid.

A sticky for resources is a great idea, and while helpful, will not alter the mechanics of the section much. I support its implementation, but it really won't change this section much.

Perhaps a critique thread, where the artist can post whatever project he or she is working on strictly for critiquing purposes? This way, the artist can get legitimate feedback and not "This is cool" "Wow!". Perhaps those with artist badges could help with this, but I think it could work.

for all those people going crazy about the "nice job" posts: the only user which i really had a problem with doing this was Xcellcior. for examples, check http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46323&page=5 onwards, especially page 6 and 7. notice how xcellcior, not happy with licking caladbolg's ass up and down, still posts like he's in firebot - "you're talking spanish. translation please?" and giving comments like he's calad's personal art accountant or some shit. this guy is the only reason why i even threw this rule out there. i guess it was an isolated case, but there you go, here's a negative example for you all.

also, i totally support the art tutorial sticky. definitely a great idea!

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
^With all due respect Doomsday, although I do agree with you on some part, an artist such as Caladbolg~ does deserve such merit. Of course he was being slightly over the top however.

- Superfluous comments can be annoying but imposing a rule would (as I believe) limit feedback completely but then again moderating all of these comments would be very difficult also. At the moment I see no major problem.

- I agree with Caladbolg~'s idea and with the others about having an 'Art Tutorial' thread.

This forum is such fun :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)