Sub QD Venomoth

Hello everyone. This is my first Ru team which revolved around Sub QD Venomoth. With this team I have had a fair amount of success and peaked around top 100. This team revolves around Venomoth to set up and sweep with reliance from a defesive Steelix + Aromatisse core to eat up hits.

Venomoth @ Black Sludge
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Substitute
- Bug Buzz

This is the mon the team revolves around. Venomoth's good typing and great ability helps it set up on a good amount of mons and has a capability to sweep teams, or at the very least put holes into it. With the access to QD + tinted lens, it only has two mon that can resist it, being Togetic and Golbat. With the team having trouble with the Alomomola and Amoongus core, Venomoth helps take care of it. Venomoth allows me to switch into Amoongus, in which i can either QD or sub as it can't break sub.

Steelix @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Heavy Slam

This is the first part of the defensive core. With Venomoth having trouble dealing with Togetic and Golbat, and just needing to have a rocks setter, Steelix fit the needs. It also helps against Escavalier, which can live a +1 bug buzz and can KO with an iron head. I ran max special defense as it already has a high amount of defense and allows it to live special hits better. Eq and heavy slam just for main stab and roar to get rid of any stat boosts.

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

Steelix brings a weakness to strong fighting types being Medicham, Gallade, Scrafty, and Hitmonlee. Aromatisse counters those mons and is able to OHKO or 2HKO with a stab moonblast. It also allows me to pass wishes to mons that get weakened and able to get rid of any status that could otherwise cripple anyone else on my team. I am running max defense so i can deal with these fighting mons better.

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

Houndoom is the next mon in my offensive core. So far the team has trouble dealing with Delphox, which Houndoom can switch into and pursuit trap it, or just knock it out with a Dark pulse. It also helps deal with Escavalier and steelix, which it can knock out with fire blast. I ran sucker punch so it helps me against faster mons that can knock me out when it is weakened, like Ambipom, Jolteon, and Cincinno.

Flygon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Roost/U-Turn
- Earthquake
- Defog

This team needed hazard control. Flygon helps fit the roll and apply nice offensive pressure and it resists earthquake which the team needed. Flygon allows not only for me to switch into bulky rock setters, but also forces them out with EQ which normally will hit super effective. I either run roost to get back any damage lost or run U-Turn to keep up offesnive pressure.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Rash Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb

For the last member of my team, I decided to go with Tangrowth. Tangrowth helps apply offensive pressure with it's great movepool, but also switches in on Mega Steelix, Flygon, and Virizion. I run max sp atk so i can maximize the amount of damage output and Av so i can live any attack from Clawitzer and Meloetta, in which i can then revenge kill or get off a knock off. Leaf Storm for stab, Knock off for Meloetta, Focus blast for bulky steels and Sludge bomb for opposing Tangrowths and Virizion.

Threat List:
Clawitzer- None of the members on my team that are faster than clawitzer knock it out, and just die to Ice beam or Hydro Pump and I just have no switch ins to it.

Meloetta- Again this is another mon in which I have no switch ins for, I have to rely either Houndoom if it is specs or Tangrowth if it is AV

Delphox- If it is Sub Cm and I have lost houndoom, I do not have an answer for it as it OHKO's all of my mons at +1 and outspeeds my team.

BreloomMyHomie

Golden State Warriors Bandwagon Fan
Woah dude, you were the guy that joined my C&E Tour haha, nice to see you again! Anyways, I love your team, as I actually used the core of Venomoth+Mega Steelix myself. With that being said, there are a couple of things I would like to recommend that might help your team :]

First of all, I noticed that your team was weak to Meloetta and Delphox liked you said in the threat list. This is why I'm suggesting Spiritomb over Houndoom. The reason why I am saying this is because Houndoom can get easily worn down with LO recoil as well as rocks. Furthermore, your team seems more of a balanced team since you have Aromatisse and Steelix. While it can't help with the specs clawitzer weakness, it can definitely handle Scarf/Assault Vest variants. Not only that, but with Snarl on Spiritomb, you can handle Meloetta and Sub CM Delphox, 2 pokemon on your threat list.

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Snarl

Next thing I noticed is that your team doesn't have a reliable switch in to Mega Camerupt. Offensive Flygon will definitely get 2hkoed, so that's why I'm suggesting a more bulky Flygon spread to do a better job of walling Mega Cam.

Flygon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 68 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn
- Earthquake

The HP and Special Defense EVS allow you to avoid the 2hko from Mega Camerupt's Fire Blast after Stealth Rocks. The Speed EVS allow you to outspeed multiple wall breakers such as Adamant Tyrantrum and Modest Exploud. The Defense EVs allow you to survive +2 Drapion Knock Off and retaliate back with an Earthquake as well as avoid the 2hko from LO Delphox's Psyshock. Leftovers is the recommended item for recovery after taking resisted hits.

calcs: +2 252+ Atk Drapion Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 164 Def Flygon: 270-318 (74.1 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Delphox Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 164 Def Flygon: 153-183 (42 - 50.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Sheer Force Mega Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 68 SpD Flygon: 153-181 (42 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I hope you take my changes into consideration. GL with the team and tell me how it works out :]

Last edited:
Woah dude, you were the guy that joined my C&E Tour haha, nice to see you again! Anyways, I love your team, as I actually used the core of Venomoth+Mega Steelix myself. With that being said, there are a couple of things I would like to recommend that may help your team :]

First of all, I noticed that your team was weak to Meloetta and Delphox liked you said in the threat list. This is why I'm suggesting Spiritomb over Houndoom. The reason why I am saying this is because Houndoom can get easily worn down with LO recoil as well as rocks. Furthermore, your team doesn't seems more of a balanced team since you have aromatisse and steelix. While it can't help with the specs clawitzer weakness, it can definitely handle Scarf/Assault Vest variants. Not only that, but with Snarl on Spiritomb, you can handle Meloetta and Sub CM Delphox, 2 pokemon on your threat list.

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Snarl

Next thing I noticed is that your team doesn't have a reliable switch in to Mega Camerupt. Offensive Flygon will definitely get 2hkoed, so that's why I'm suggesting a more bulky Flygon spread to do a better job of walling Mega Cam.

Flygon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 68 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn
- Earthquake

The HP and Special Defense EVS allow you to avoid the 2hko from Mega Camerupt's Fire Blast after Stealth Rocks. The Speed EVS allow you to outspeed multiple wall breakers such as Adamant Tyrantrum and Modest Exploud. The Defense EVs allow you to survive +2 Drapion Knock Off and retaliate back with an Earthquake as well as avoid the 2hko from LO Delphox's Psyshock. Leftovers is the recommended item for recovery after taking resisted hits.

I hope you take my changes into consideration. GL with the team and tell me how it works out :]
Thank you for the suggestions, I will certainly implement these into my team. I appreciate it.

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi Lou Sipher, nice team you've got there! It looks solid but I'd like to give some suggestion.
Choice Scarf over Life Orb on Flygon will allow you to have a solid revenge killer that can still take care of hazard with a fast defog. With this change you should try Outrage over Dragon Claw, this will allow you to hit much harder and Flygon will be able to clean weakend teams. On Tangrowth a spread of 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe alongside a Modest nature will allow you to permorm his role of pivot better, outspeeding Alomomola and 44 speed Jellicent, being able to force them out without the risk of getting toxiced before killing them. Also an option to lure Escavalier that completely walls your Venomoth's set is Hidden Power Fire over Focus Blast. The last suggestion I have is to run timid over modest on Venomoth, this would make you lose power, but you would outspeed scarf Medicham at +1, that otherwise would kill you.
I hope this was helpful and gl with the team mate n__n!
Venomoth @ Black Sludge
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Substitute
- Bug Buzz

Steelix @ Steelixite
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Heavy Slam

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Defog

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

BreloomMyHomie

Golden State Warriors Bandwagon Fan
No problem bro, I forgot to add that you should definitely run a little more speed on Mega Steelix to speed creep other base 30s.

Hi Lou Sipher, nice team you've got there! It looks solid but I'd like to give some suggestion.
Choice Scarf over Life Orb on Flygon will allow you to have a solid revenge killer that can still take care of hazard with a fast defog. With this change you should try Outrage over Dragon Claw, this will allow you to hit much harder and Flygon will be able to clean weakend teams. On Tangrowth a spread of 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe alongside a Modest nature will allow you to permorm his role of pivot better, outspeeding Alomomola and 44 speed Jellicent, being able to force them out without the risk of getting toxiced before killing them. Also an option to lure Escavalier that completely walls your Venomoth's set is Hidden Power Fire over Focus Blast. The last suggestion I have is to run timid over modest on Venomoth, this would make you lose power, but you would outspeed scarf Medicham at +1, that otherwise would kill you.
I hope this was helpful and gl with the team mate n__n!
Venomoth @ Black Sludge
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance
- Substitute
- Bug Buzz

Steelix @ Steelixite
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Heavy Slam

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Defog

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb
This is actually a pretty decent team lol

ss234

bop.
This team handles most things well defensively. Tangrowth + Aroma + Mlix gives you a stellar defensive backbone and gives you solid checks to pkmn like scrafty, tyrantrum and virizion. The use of Tangrowth here is good too, as it acts as a blanket check to multiple physical threats but also breaks down many of venomoth's counters. That's not to say the team is flawless though - the lack of a bulky water type creates issues against glalie, durant and fire types such as emboar. The most dispensible defensively is tangrowth - it deals with bulky waters but apart from that Alomomola or Jellicent cover many of the same threats while having the benefit of dealing with some of the metagames biggest threats. I can understand why you wouldn't want to make this change though since growth weakens the likes of golbat and registeel for venomoth. Instead, running a bulkier spread on Flygon would give you a more solid switch into emboar and houndoom. I recommend 252 HP / 70 Def / 116 SpD / 64 Spe. This allows you to hit 252 speed and get the jump on banded emboar and gives you solid bulk on both sides.

Some other changes you could do are running max attack on houndoom instead of max special attack. You're running three physical moves and fire blast is going to kill the major targets anyway. A stronger pursuit makes removing sigilyph and meloetta easier, while a stronger sucker punch makes revenge killing threats such as durant easier. I'd also try timid on venomoth so that you at least tie with meloetta and get the jump on pkmn like scarf rotom-c. I second fran17 with regards to the tangrowth set, they all seem pretty sensible. You could also try sleep talk over roar on steelix to give you a better venomoth switch in. That's more preference though.

Hope I helped and GL with the team. If you can play around pkmn like glalie and durant then this is pretty solid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)