Strategy in a game of Checks and Counters

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so skylight has asked me to write some articles for the smog. I'm keen, but I'm not sure how much of my article idea has already been done.

1. This is just the intro. Pokemon is a game of checks and counters. We often build and polish our teams by adding checks and counters to major threats. This is something beginners need to learn.

2. Good, solid play therefore keeps that concept in mind. If landorus-T is your only answer to your opponent's zard X, you probably don't want to risk it dying because you've predicted rotom-w to volt switch. I'll have a bit on risk and reward here and what it means for a gamble to be 'worth it'. To me, this is what players need tot understand to become decent intermediate players.

3. The concept of offensive synergy. Let's say you're running mega-gardevoir, and you've noticed that most players counter the set you're running with aegislash. Here's an idea: why don't you run something else that aeigislash counters? Something that will force aegislash to switch in, take a major hit (you may have to run some sort of surprise to make it worthtwhile), so that it can no longer deal with gardevoir? What if you run a trapper that can take a hit and OHKO back? This is not a new concept. Mag drag was a popular strategy since 4th gen, but I do think the overall concept is worth talking about, especially in reference to checks and counters. If the only thing stopping x from sweeping is y, and I can systematically remove y, I can systematically win the game. IMO a lot of middle-of-the-road players plateau because they don't understand this. I will talk about three types of pokemon that can help you achieve this: trappers, lures, and overloaders.

To make things easier to understand, I will try and dig up some replays (probably from spl) and relate them to the concepts. Cheers!

Last edited:

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Are you including the replays in the actual article? I think yes, so that should be nice and worthwhile!

Yeah, I'm okay with this. I'm sure skylight's fine with it since she asked and stuff too.

Just a couple of small things. Get your stuff done on time, and if you can't do that, just ask for your article to be pushed to the next one, no harm done. And, don't leak any content out of the workshop. We're trying to keep most of it a surprise!

We use a couple of tag systems at the AW. For instance, you'll see [34-M] in front of several articles. The number is the issue number and the letter(s) represents the category. You can read more about this at the Article Index! And then there's this other tag that has WIP (work in progress), Grammar, etc. Those represent the stage that your article is in. Usually just goes WIP => Grammar (2 checks) = > HTML (someone will do this for you) => Images (if not received yet from someone) => Done.

Toast++ will give you access.

Thanks for coming by! We could definitely use more articles like this. Oh, and we're about to release, so you'll be writing for issue 35!

Thanks. I'm feeling the love already. :D

Just for the record, Skylight had no idea what I would write about when I made the proposal lol. The conversation pretty much went:

Skylight: What are you up to?
Nagai: Just trying to deal with writer's block.
Skylight: Oh. You should write some articles for the smog once you've dealt with that.

Aaaaaand here I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)