Strange SandStorm Stall (OU)

I'm coming back to play OU after a really long break. OU tier changed a bit and I thought about rebuilding one of my old OU teams with little changes. This team has few quite unique pokemon for OU tier pokemon. It works quite good, but I think it needs screens a bit too much to be really effective, so I think I need to rebuilt it in a few places. Also I hate Trick, but which stall-like team enjoy it ? Anyway, here's a team. Strategy behind this team is quite simple - set up hazards, phaze as much as possible and abuse in process screens from Bronzong. Most people uses double screeners in offensive teams, so I thought why not to try stall with it a bit for a change ;).

Clefable @ Toxic Orb

Ability: Magic Guards
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 6 Def
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
~ Wish
~ Protect
~ Encore
~ Seismic Toss

Clefable. It's quite solid anti-lead. Encores hazards, passes Wishes and scout opponents leading pokemon. I had Ice Beam and Stealth Rock in two spots, but to be honest it wasn't too effective. And without Protect wishing is just too hard. But I think to replace her anyway, probably for Blissey to have studier Wish passer. But Encore is great move, which saved me many times. But I think it's time to replace her.

Rotom-H @ Leftovers

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 158 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk
~ Shadow Ball
~ Discharge

Every single stall-like team needs a spin blocker and here it is - Rest/Sleep Talk Rotom-H. This guy is quite hard to kill, but sometimes some Pursuiter may be troublesome, but most of times I have Reflect up, so I can handle every kind of Pursuit with Reflect up, even from TTar and Weavile, so it's not that troublesome. Also this guy is my Gyarados and Scizor check. Also this guy is my sleep absorber. I chose Discharge just to nail some ScarfTran switches with paralyses if I'm lucky enough for it. Anyway, this guy is really important member of my team, like every ghost-type for stall teams. But I think to try in this spot Spiritomb, just in case when I can't activate screens anymore and I don't want to die to any strong Pursuit.

Omastar @ Leftovers

Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 6 Def
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
~ Stealth Rock
~ Spikes
~ Ice Beam
~ Surf

I needed bulky pokemon with Spikes, but which has stronger Special Defence then Defence. Skarmory and Forretress in my opinion didn't fit that criteria. And Roserade in my opinion doesn't fit SandStorm teams. So I had an idea and put... Omastar here. With SandStorm it has surprising bulk and with both screens and sandstorm it's almost unbreakable and can handle even non-specs grass attacks. With Sandstorm or Light Screen up this guy isn't even 3OHKOed by Timid Gengars Thunderbolt with Leftovers factored in. With both of them he can easily set up all hazards. With Reflect this guy can also handle some fighting and earth attacks and with Reflect it's probably my safest switch on DDMence, as they almost try to EQ me and I easily hit them back with deadly Ice Beam, which comes from quite solid Special attack even without any investment. It's really surprising and some surprise factor gives me many free turns for setting up hazards. Don't underestimate this guy, it's really effective in its job.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers

Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 152 Def / 88 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Fang
~ Roar
~ Slack Off

This time something really standard. Earthquake for obvious STAB attack. Ice Fang for dragons, but I think I'll change it for something else, for example Stone Edge. Anyway it's my phazer and with both screens almost impossible to kill. For example with Light Screen it takes 40% from Defensive Celebis Grass Knot, so I can easily take a hit and continue phazing to annoy my opponent with this guy. Hippowdon is another important member, which abuses my strategy to maximum. Really, good and solid member. And of course he starts Sandstorm, which deals 6% more in every round to anything, which don't resist it.

Bronzong @ Light Screen

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Atk / 8 Def / 96 SpD
Sassy Nature (+Def, -Spe)
~ Reflect
~ Light Screen
~ Gyro Ball
~ Earthquake
/ Explosion

Double-Screen Bronzong. He does his job, but I think I need to replace this guy, as Magnezone may really ruin my fun and destroy my strategy. Anyway, he just activates both screens, Gyro Ball for STAB and Earthquake for another attack. For the first time I activate Light Screen, as most Bronzong counters are special based and most fire attacks are also special. I think to replace Earthquake for Explosion, to end up with a boom when I don't need Bronzong anymore or he's at low health. Or I may try to use HP Fire to beat 1on1 Magnezone, which with Light Screen is possible. But I think it's the most replacable member of my team, as he really is Magnezone bait and without screens I can't handle many dangerous opponents.

Tentacruel @ Leftovers

Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 26 SpA / 180 SpD
Sassy Nature (+Def, -Spe)
~ Surf
~ Ice Beam
~ Giga Drain
~ Toxic Spikes

Guy, which stops probably the most dangerous opponent for the rest of my team - Infernape. Also it's my Toxic Spiker and with Reflect he can handle Swampert, so that's the reason for Giga Drain in one of my moveslots here as I neeed grass attack alot. Rapid Spin would help, but I can play without it, especially with Clefable and her wish passing. Also Tentacruel by itself absorbs Toxic Spikes, so poison doesn't trouble me too much here. Anyway, EVs are pretty standard. I think to place here Mirror Coat, just to surprise some special attacker and especially Rotom, which I could strike back quite effectively. I put Clear Body, as I used that team in Shaymin-S era and Clear Body easily stopped that beast from Seed Flaring almost everything. But I guess Liquid Ooze would be also fine. Anyway, another important member with deadly Toxic Spikes.

Here's a team. I hope you like it. Thanks for any rates and criticism to improve that team. Cheers.

I would try to squeeze stealth rock into Hippowdon's moveset (as well as make it your lead; get weather up quickly and break sashes, as well as get rocks up immediately) and give Omastar another support move. For best results, you probably need to use Blissey instead of Clefable for a special wall. It sucks to be so standard, but things are standard for a reason I guess.

Skarmory can provide a lot more protection against common threats as well as some useful resistances. Skarmbliss is extremely annoying on stall teams.

But a stall team is a stall team, and what you have now is pretty solid. I like seeing people be creative. ;P

Is it just me or have there been an increase in stall teams lately?

I would try to squeeze stealth rock into Hippowdon's moveset (as well as make it your lead; get weather up quickly and break sashes, as well as get rocks up immediately) and give Omastar another support move. For best results, you probably need to use Blissey instead of Clefable for a special wall. It sucks to be so standard, but things are standard for a reason I guess.
Probably Stealth Rock can go in Ice Fang/Stone Edge slot on Hippo, but I don't like the idea of not having way to touch Flyers/levitators. But I guess I can live without it, so I think I'll try SR on Hippo.

The only problem with replacing Clefable on Blissey is that Curselax will just rape me without Encore user, so I'll seriously needs something else to stop it with Blissey in Clefable spot. Maybe Taunt Skarmory ? But I like that Omastar alot and I don't think that it learns Taunt like Skarmory. Quite hard decision, but I'll think about this.

Anyway thanks for your rate. Any other ideas ?

I think Rapid Spin would be a good option as a support move on Tentacruel, since you don't have any way to remove entry hazards. Also, if you're going with replacing one of Hippowdon's moves for Stealth Rock, then Knock Off on Omastar is the next best choice.

Just wondering, is Omastar really that effective at what he does? I always wanted to use one.

You mentioned Taunt Skarmory Garganator, but remember, Skarmory has Whirlwind, which is usually enough to get the job done, especially against something like Curselax.

I think Rapid Spin would be a good option as a support move on Tentacruel, since you don't have any way to remove entry hazards. Also, if you're going with replacing one of Hippowdon's moves for Stealth Rock, then Knock Off on Omastar is the next best choice.

Just wondering, is Omastar really that effective at what he does? I always wanted to use one.
About Giga Drain on Tentacruel - I was quite afraid of CursePert, so that's the reason why I put it there. And when I can't phaze it, it would looks troublesome. But I can always put somewhere else some grass attack. And Rapid Spin is always usefull.

About Omastar - he didn't let me down. But Wish support is a must, so it may not be that great for some people. With Sandstorm it has... 393 special defence. Max Snorlax has 350 and Omastar has only 1 point less then Max SpD Umbreon with ONLY Light Screen or SandStorm. Only his HP is mediocore, so it's not a beast of special walling, but take those hits more then comfortable enough. With both of them it's really hard to take down on special side. If you want to try it, go on ;). And it's really hard to find good Spiker, so it's another good point for this set.

You mentioned Taunt Skarmory Garganator, but remember, Skarmory has Whirlwind, which is usually enough to get the job done, especially against something like Curselax.
Yeah, I know. But in situation, when Curselax ends up alone (and sometimes it may happen) Taunt Skarmory beats Snorlax 1on1. And if I replace Clefable on Bliss I really need a good way to stop Cursers from running rampant if they somehow ends up alone. Perish Song would also fix this, but Taunt + Toxic is also solid option for this.

And agains thanks for all your rates. Something else ?

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I fail to see the use of this lead Clefable. There's little point in Encoring your opponent's SR. They just swapped out, and have successfully set up an early SR, whilst Clefable manages to waste her first move and remove 100 HP from the incoming pokemon that will surely force her out. Wish + Protect isn't as effective on a lead, for you'll want to save her to protect your teammates. You're better off using Blissey, for her massive HP and SDef greatly outclass Encore. So use the standard WishPass Blissey (you can keep Seimsic Toss on her) and have Toxic in place of Encore; it synergies well with Protect and Leftovers. Toxic can also hit the Flying and Leviate Pokemon that are immune to Toxic Spikes.

Have Hippowdon as a lead. You set up the early Sandstorm you want, and it renders Focus Sash on Azelf, Infernape and many other pokemon useless. As a lead, I recommend SR over Roar. Setting up an early SR is invaluable, and you wouldn't be using Roar in the first few turns of battle.

If you still want pHazing, replace Omastar with Skarmory. Honestly, the Omastar sucks. Base 70 HP / 70 SDef doesn't cut it for a special wall. Umbreon outclasses him even in a Sandstorm. Not to mention Omastar's glaring Electric, Ground and Fighting weakness. Blissey walls almost every special threat, and Tentacruel can wall many of the threats that Omastar can (thanks to their common Water typing, not to mention that Tentacruel has less weaknesses, and almost the same SDef stat as an Omastar in Sandstorm)). Skarmory still functions as a Spikes user. Use the standard Skarmory set with a Shed Shell for that dam Magnezone.

Tentacruel should have 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD EVs. The 120 Def ensures that Infernape's Close Combat is only a 3HKO, and enables Tentacruel to wall Scizor more efficiently. I agree with floe; replace Giga Drain with Rapid Spin. Swampert is not OHKOed by Giga Drain, meaning that he'll just launch an Earthquake in your general direction after a futile attempt to remove the mudfish. Rapid Spin is a must on a Stall team, for in long games, residual damage really adds up (especially considering that abusing entry hazards is one of the main purposes, if not, the main purpose of a stall team). Liquid Ooze > Clear Body. The only use you will ever have of Clear Body is to protect the user from Intimidate and perhaps Charm. But Tentacruel doesn't care for Atk drops. Liquid Ooze, at least, enables to utilise Leech Seed to your advantage, and makes Celebi and Breloom think twice before trying to abuse Blissey's gigantic HP.

Finally, I wouldn't be worried about Magnezone with Bronzong. Most Magnezone these days are Scarfed, and won't have Magnet Rise. You can set up a Light Screen, and then Earthquake it. On a stall team, I recommend Earthquake > Explosion, for you want to keep Bronzong to abuse double screen, so you can have long games of stall. You don't need Explosion so you can quickly and easily send in a sweeper to finish the game in 6 turns; you don't have any sweepers on your team. And you don't have to utilise Explosion as a last dish option when Blissey's Wish can keep Bronzong healthy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)