ORAS OU Stall of the Sadist [1568 ELO]

Introduction

Hello Smogon! Long time battler here, posting my first RMT. Decided to post this team now because I have been climbing faster than I ever have before and am excited for how high this team can go.

What I have here is a stall team that basically exploits all of the residual damage it dishes out. Setting up the hazards and status conditions at the right time with this team makes your opponents crumble like a house of cards; allowing victory in the most sadistic way.

Here's the team:

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Acid Spray
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
There's no better way to get residual damage on your opponents than Toxic Spikes, and Tentacruel does just that. Check out all these OU threats that suffer from it (some depend on ability):

(mega)
(mega)
(mega-X)
(mega)
(mega)
(mega)
(mega)
(mega)

Scald is chosen for more possible residual damage. Acid spray is chosen over sludge bomb and sludge wave for several reasons:
1. Beats Calm Mind Unaware Clefable
2. Puts added pressure on Starmie attempting to spin away TSpikes.
3. Puts added pressure on M-Sableye attempting to spin block.
And lastly, Rapid Spin is a must for such a hazard-centric team. Defog on another pokemon slot would be counter-intuitive. Although Tentacruel is mostly just used for utility, it is very important in switching into the unique offensive attack coverages of Keldeo and Azumarill. EVs are fully invested into Defense to sponge Choice Band Scizor.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 188 SpD / 76 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Taunt
- Knock Off
This is it! The most cruel, evil, sadistic moveset you'll ever see. Once Tentacruel gets a layer of TSpikes down for good, it's a death sentence for all those threats I listed above. The combination of Substitute + Protect protects Gliscor from all damage from slower threats, which slowly die to poison. This tactic works against faster threats as well, given Gliscor already has a substitute up. Taunt is there to prevent phasing and hazard setting from the likes of Skarmory, Hippowdon, Defensive Landorus-T, and Ferrothorn while Knock Off is used to beat all of them 1v1! (Except Power Whip Ferro. Gyro ball variant can be PP-stalled). Speaking of PP-stalling, Gliscor can do that to Rotom-w's Hydro Pump and Knock Off it to death. EVs are invested into SpD, in order to take on Gengar. SpD investment is also useful against weak special attacks coming from the likes of Stallbreaker Mew, Specially Defensive Heatran, and Cleric Clefable. 76 Speed EVs attempt to outspeed Stallbreaker Mew to assure that I won't get Taunted.

The rest of my team is designed to switch into as many OU offensive threats as possible, while attempting to spin-block and specifically take on the rest of the metagame that is immune to TSpikes. And hopefully, set-up a winning scenario for Gliscor.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Will-o-Wisp
- Recover
But who am I kidding? There's too many physical powerhouses in this game right now. It's impossible to find the right core of walls with the right utility to switch into everything. So I'm doubling down on my residual damage strategy. This is Prankster Sableye, and he'll gladly take the 85% chance to cripple you! As such, Sableye serves as a fail-safe to cripple certain physical attackers that my team will not be able to stomach. This will include: Hoopa-U, Mega-Pinsir, Mega-Heracross, SD-Scizor, and Mega-Metagross. However, Sableye is not completely useless as a switch in! It's a great switch into Mega-Medicham since it's immune to its STAB attacks and has enough bulk to survive 2 Ice punches. As for Sableye's offensive option, I chose Knock Off over Foul Play because removing Leftovers is helpful to my team's strategy.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Wish
Clefable serves to counter Latias, Latios, and NP Thundurus, all of which are immune to my TSpike strat. It also acts as a nice stop to Mega-Lopunny, Serperior, Dragonite, M-Sableye and non-Rain Dance Manaphy. The combination of Wish + Protect is too good to pass up on this team, as Protect lets the residual damage tick an extra turn while Wish allows for safer switch-ins.

Mega-Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Def
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
Mega-Ampharos is just about the only pokemon in the whole entire metagame that can switch into Tornadus-T, Talonflame, and Mega-Charizard Y; 3 of the few remaining overpowered TSpike immune pokemon that I must deal with. All their attacks are 3HKOs at best given my specially defensive spread. Retaliation with Volt Switch or Toxic either gives me momentum or puts them on the clock for Gliscor to deal with. Toxic also catches many a Landorus-T by surprise as they switch in. Due to Ampharosite, Tornadus-T is unable to cripple Ampharos with Knock Off, which makes Ampharos an even more convenient answer. Rest and Sleep Talk is pretty important, since Ampharos lacks any kind of passive recovery and can get wittled down by U-turns from Tornadus-T. Also, a fantastic switch-in to Mega-Manectric, and Rotom-W. The latter's burns aren't of much concern due to Rest + Sleep Talk. And due to Mold Breaker, Ampharos can even Toxic M-Sableye if it comes down to it.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
0 Spe IV
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
Ferrothorn is slapped on this team for several reasons:
1. Stealth Rock
2. Mega-Diancie counter
3. Defensive pivot against Mega-Metagross
4. Mega-Gardevoir check
5. Checks Rain Dance Manaphy in combination with Mega-Ampharos
6. Checks Mega-Gyarados nicely

But most importantly, it adds more residual damage in the form of Leech Seed. Protect is used in my last moveslot to rack up more Leech Seed damage and healing. It's also useful in scouting for HP Fires from Lati@s and Fire Punches from Hoopas.

Threatlist
(mega-x)

Mega-Charizard X is my biggest weakness. I usually aim to get TSpikes up early or get a surprise Toxic from Ampharos. I do this before I mega-evolve in order to avoid Dragon weakness since Dragon Claw can KO. Hence, I almost always lead with Ampharos against any Charizard team.
(mega)

Mega-Pinsir with EQ really hurts my team, since it can shred through Mega-Ampharos. Thankfully, Mega-Ampharos can survive 1 EQ and has a 63% chance to KO back with Volt Switch. Sableye can also WoW if given the chance. Getting TSpikes up early before Mega-evolving allows Gliscor to stall it out.

I'm not ashamed in being weak to Hoopa-U. I refuse to run something like Mandibuzz. Ferrothorn's Leech Seed + Protect or Sableye WoW is my best chance if I haven't poisoned it with TSpikes.

(mega)
Same strategy used for Hoopa. Sableye WoW or Ferrothorn Leech Seed + Protect is my best bet.
(mega)

SD Mega-Scizor or any SD Scizor for that matter has a chance to plow through my team. If Sableye's WoW misses or Tentacruel's Scalds aren't lucky then I don't have much else other than possible Leech Seed + Protect shenanigans.

(mega)
Offensive variants overwhelm Gliscor and prevent it from burn stalling it out. A desperation Gyro Ball from Ferrothorn might have to come out while I get smacked with HP Fire. Otherwise, not too big of a problem, but a burn is necessary for defensive sets.

Offensive variants give me a little trouble. Gliscor can't really wittle it down with Knock Off like it can with the defensive variants. I pretty much rely on Mega-Ampharos and Tentacruel to kill it whilst taking alot of damage.

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-312769546
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-312713436
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-312367584

Import

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball

Sableye @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Wish

Bold Nature
- Scald
- Acid Spray
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 188 SpD / 76 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Taunt
- Knock Off

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Thanks for reading my RMT! All feedback is appreciated. Have a good one,

-lowborn

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi! I have a suggestion for you. You could try Choice Scarf Keldeo
over Sableye. This gives you a revenge killer to Hoopa-U, and provides you with a way to revenge kill a lot of stallbreakers that could otherwise prove extremely problematic for your team, which is extremely slow and lacks offensive pressure. It helps your team with Charizard-X, Scizor, and Heatran as well, and lets you fish for burns on a lot of physical Pokemon. It is not a switch in to Medicham, but you have Gliscor and Clefable which can sort of handle it.

I would also suggest some EV spread and set changes. Tentacruel can run an EV spread of 248 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe Timid. This spread lets you outspeed Breloom and other neutral base 80s, defensive Lando-T, and adds a bit of creep. The defensive benchmark lets it avoid the 2HKO from LO Gengar's Shadow Ball and modest Mega Charizard Y's Fire Blast or Solar Beam after SR. Gliscor is the Pokemon you built around, and so I won't really touch its set, although I have to admit that I am highly suspicious of it, and I feel your team could be so much better if it were running a standard set. Your Clefable spread is odd, as you want it to be your switch-in to Serperior, NP Thundurus, Manaphy, but you don't have any special defense investment. With your current spread, Serperior and Thundurus just straight up 2HKO you, as after SR, Leftovers recovery from Protect is not enough to let you avoid it. Instead, the more standard spread of 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 SpD Calm lets you take on these special attackers better, although Mega Lopunny does become a slightly larger issue. I would also try running a Sassy nature on Ferrothorn, this lets it take on Mega Gardevoir much better, as Ferrothorn is your only stop to it. You can still take a +1 EQ from Mega Gyarados, though you do take a bit more from Crunch. However, you also have Mega Ampharos for that, and if you took my advice, Choice Scarf Keldeo, and I think that that can mitigate this. I would also run Power Whip on Ferrothorn to help with Mega Gyarados, which can be a threat.

if you are amenable to changing Gliscor's set just leave a reply saying you are please lol

Hope this helps you. I'll drop an importable of changes:
Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray
- Toxic Spikes

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Calm Mind
- Wish

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball

Okay so this is a pet peeve of mine more than anything else, but stall with a great deal of protect users tends to be counterproductive. Especially since you don't have any deterrent to a defogger like Latios/Skarmory/Mandibuzz coming in (very few do, so it's understandable), giving your opponent so many free turns is bad. You have three protects right now, which I would generally say is two too many.

As of right now, the unlisted threats I see are any variant of manaphy (especially if Amphy has to rest/is out of the equation, but TG is an immediate unavoidable threat), Loppuny-M carrying Ice Punch (or lop in general to a damaged gliscor), and heatran all sets. More importantly, I think I'd give this team a premise:

Your team struggles with any opposing team that runs defog as well as grounded poisons (hence, venu). We can assume that tentacruel, amoongus, and scolilipede can all cause you trouble for the same reason, but Amoongus is probably the biggest threat due to spore, hp fire, clear smog all being utility/coverage moves you might see.

Given this, the first thing I would do is go Earthquake-> protect on gliscor. You now can beat heatran much easier and have a legitimate threat to tentacruel and scolilpede. ZardX no longer switches in, although this is by no means a counter. As a bonus, defensive venusaur struggles with you more, especially since you have taunt. Sure you lose the stall-forever combo vs slower mons, but realize right now that gliscor is bait for lati@s defoggers, especially with protect. What gliscor should be doing is focusing on removing steels and poisons if he can.

To make up for the loss of infinite stalling, I think going roost -> substitute works better. Now you can find off turns and gain full hp back so you can deal with special threats more consistently. The added benefit is this set should let you take on non-specs gengar since he's constantly dying to LO or simply not doing enough damage for roost to not recover. Sub/Protect only works on slower users whereas this roost one will help with speedier users.

The reason I don't like sub/protect here is because most people won't LET you stall out all Rotom-w hydro pumps or Ferro's gyro balls unless they're already out of options. Roost still lets you stall out gyro ball and can help with Hydro pump if it misses ever but should give Glisc the ability to actually work with his team over needing free turns to keep his protect/sub stall going.

Seconding the clefable spread from above.

I might go skarmory -> Ferrothorn here with a spike||taunt/stealth rock/roost/counter||Brave bird set. Quite a few benefits. First is reliably recovery in roost. Second, you have your M-Pinsir/Metagross-M/Scizor-M counter. Third, neither ferro nor Skarm can check a diancie HP Fire set, which I think is the more common of HP fire/ground (since heatran can be hit with diamond storm pretty well). Third, counter would give you a more reliable answer to metagross-mega, who shouldn't have any utility moves so taunt is kinda a null point here. However with pinsir/scizor-mega, taunt is nice.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Taunt
- Defog
- Roost

I always go shed-shell just to mess with Magnezone (scarf gets trapped into volt switch/tbolt as I go to my ground type for a free move) but Rocky Helmet is punishing to landorus-t and Leftovers are all around nice to keep sturdy alive over chip damage. Preference for what you think is an issue.

Lastly, consider Thunderbolt > Volt Switch on Ampharos. Sleep Talk volt switch seems counter-productive. Especially with Clefable able to help cover manaphy, I think striking power is simply more important here. Heal bell > Toxic is kinda troll, too, since you get to wake yourself up early as well as clear statuses if rolled.

Seconding the clefable spread from above.

I might go skarmory -> Ferrothorn here with a spike||taunt/stealth rock/roost/counter||Brave bird set. Quite a few benefits. First is reliably recovery in roost. Second, you have your M-Pinsir/Metagross-M/Scizor-M counter. Third, neither ferro nor Skarm can check a diancie HP Fire set, which I think is the more common of HP fire/ground (since heatran can be hit with diamond storm pretty well). Third, counter would give you a more reliable answer to metagross-mega, who shouldn't have any utility moves so taunt is kinda a null point here. However with pinsir/scizor-mega, taunt is nice.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Impish Nature
- Counter
- Taunt
- Defog
- Roost

I always go shed-shell just to mess with Magnezone (scarf gets trapped into volt switch/tbolt as I go to my ground type for a free move) but Rocky Helmet is punishing to landorus-t and Leftovers are all around nice to keep sturdy alive over chip damage. Preference for what you think is an issue.

Lastly, consider Thunderbolt > Volt Switch on Ampharos.
I plan on trying out these changes first. Thanks to both you and yuruuu. I realize now that my Clefable didn't have enough SpD bulk to take on Life Orb Thundurus and Serperior. Thunderbolt on Ampharos I agree too since it'll have to be my answer to Rain Dance Manaphy, since Clefable lacks the bulk to take rain boosted Scalds. I was thinking of using these sets:

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Counter
- Brave Bird Drill Peck
- Taunt
- Roost

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 88 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

These sets will allow me to keep Stealth Rock on my team while killing off Scizors and Mega-Venusaurs with Taunt + Counter and Brave Bird respectively. This leaves me more susceptible to Mega-Gardevoir and Offensive Heatran, but that's a sacrifice I think I'm willing to make, since I'd like to keep Gliscor's Sub + Protect combo for now. But I agree, Sub + Roost + EQ on Gliscor does make my team more complete in terms of checking the metagame.

Edit: Scratch that, I forgot Brave Bird is incompatible with Counter lol

Last edited:
A well structured team, I faced a similar one on Wifi that had me on the ropes until I pulled out Kyurem-B...who handles most of your team quite handily. Gliscor and Fabio are easily OHKO 'd by LO Ice Beam and Dragon Claw/Outrage respectively. Clefable is 2hko by Iron Head variants while Ferrothorn can check non - HP Fire variants. Sableye fares better as it can stall out with burn....IF WOW hits, otherwise Outrage/Dragon Claw easily KO

As much as I like M-Ampharos Semi-Stall, I'd say its easier to make the team a hazard stack style:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray
- Toxic Spikes

Sableye @ Sablenite
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Foul Play
- Will-o-Wisp
- Recover

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
- Iron Head
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power
- Signal Beam

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Roost
- Healing Wish

Process: Gliscor is the best anti opposing stall set it can be and your defensive win condition, Tentacruel is your TSpikes support wearing down things that like to wall you as well as provide hazard removal, Sableye keeps opposing hazards from being set against you as well as irritating stuff for you and Skarmory has reliable recovery and counters M-Gardevoir for you. At this point your weak to Volt-Turn so AV Raikou is an effective check to that and Hoopa-U. And to round this off Latias seems like a nice fit with healing wish support and another Manaphy and Fast Electrics check. (A Choice Scarf could work if you find yourself giving Charizard-X to many set up opportunities)

Solid Team. I think you should try testing Tyranitar-Mega over Ampharos. With Sand Stream, Tyranitar is one of the most specially defensive pokemon in the game and can easily soak up big hits while dishing out a lot of damage as well. Sandstorm also synergises well with your stall team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)