Special Swiss Army Knives

Preface
I became proficient at battling by utilizing the teams of others. I learned how to use the tools. Now, I'm attempting to get a handle on crafting my own tools to use. This is my first team ever made, and while I have tested it on the PO ladder, I have not made ANY changed from the first draft. You are about to look upon the first draft of the first team I've ever made, feel free to ruthlessly critique. The name comes from how the team operates (or rather, how I'd like it to operate once perfected), each pokemon holding its own surprises, ready to dismantle the opposition with the versatility of a Swiss army knife.

Machamp (F) @ Lum Berry Trait: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 248 Atk / 16 SDef / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- DynamicPunch
- Stone Edge
- Payback
- Bullet Punch

My lead of choice, and the only physical attacker on my team. He often gets me off to a good start by abusing general machampery (coined by myself, a term which refers to pokemon such as machamp and jirachi), using BP to nullify sashes, and nailing fliers on the switch with stone edge. He generally hangs around until at least midgame, remaining a sort of safety net for my team against things that don't like to take a dynamic punch (see: most of the metagame).

Heatran (F) @ Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SAtk / 220 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

This heatran, another safety net, helps to protect me against things like garchomp, gliscor, and doryuuzu by avoiding their ground attacks and returning a HP ice (or flamethrower). He forces out a number of pokemon, an opportunity he capitalizes on by laying down stealth rocks on their side of the field.

Zapdos @ Life Orb
Trait: Lightningrod
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SAtk / 224 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Agility
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Ahh, good ole zapdos. This is one of the team members which hasn't been performing as well as I'd like. Though he gives me some useful resistances (notably ground, fighting, and grass), it seems like he doesn't do as much sweeping as he should. The goal is to get him in on an electric attack, which will boost his special attack one stage. He then looks for a interim in the fray so that he can use agility. From there he can KO most pokemon that can KO him, while pausing to roost to nullify life orb damage against pokemon who can't KO him. Together with rankurusu, he helps me against roobushin.

Rankurusu (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
- Psycho Shock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

Rankurusu packs a quite a punch, by means of an item that normally is detrimental to its users. For rankurusu, this is not the case. Psycho shock gives him the ability to handle blissey and other special walls. Focus blast and shadow ball combine for some maniacal recovery. Similar to clefable, he doesn't mind status.

Kerudio @ Leftovers
Trait: Justice Heart
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Mystery Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]/Taunt

Kerudio, another pokemon I added specifically for dealing with special walls, handles many pokemon with his ability to deal damage from both halves of the spectrum while only worrying about one damage stat. I'm currently using HP electric for things like gyarados and the devilish water/ghost jellyfish that is bubungeru. Taunt is being considered, but I find that against walls I would often rather get a calm mind under my belt than risking wasting a turn because of taunting a switch-in.

Genosect @ Life Orb
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Rock Polish
- Bug Buzz
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Genosect packs a punch, especially if I can get him in on the appropriate pokemon. If he scares something into making a switch, he can rock polish and use his coverage/brute force to do some clean up duty on their team. There is a 10% chance of hax every time he lands an attack (omitting the omnipresent crit hax chance), which means that a fair amount of the time I get lucky and score a kill on something I really shouldn't have.

That's the team thus far. I'm completely open to changes and critiques, as well as inquiries pertaining to my logic used in making a decision. Thanks for reading all of the way through, please include one of the symbols located above the numbers on your keyboard (!@#$%^&*) inserted somewhere randomly in one of your sentences (cleverly disguised as a typo) so that I may identify those of you who actually read for comprehension.

I would drop Psycho Shock for Psychic. Blissey shouldn't really be a problem to you because of Machamp, but mainly because of Kerudio. Kerudio can Taunt Blissey and then CM up before eventually destroying it with Mystery Sword.

Oh and (!@#$%^&*)

If you're looking for a new Zapdos set, try the physically defensive set:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Pressure
Bold Nature
248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Heat Wave
-Hidden Power Ice
-Roost

Its more of a defensive pivot and a tank than a wall. It can deal respectable damage with near perfect coverage in these three moves. It can help against fighting types who lack Stone Egde (most do) and isn't walled by Nattorei. Speaking of which, it is a great way to take down a Gliscor / Nattorei / Burungeru core. Anyway, I hope this helps.

I'd drop psycho shock for psychic, but I find psycho shock helping me against CMers and special walls all the time. Psycho shock just seems more usefull in combination with the other two attacks on rankurusu. Blatreutka, your avatar reminded me of ed from ed, edd, 'n eddy, and I assure you it induced intense feelings of nostalgia. I'm currently playtesting the defensive zapdos, and it has thus far saved my ass against a few physical threats. It very well may become a permanent change. I'd like more opinions on it, though, agility+lightning rod 'dos sure dude pull off some awesome sweeps, and it saves me from things like a choice specs thunderbolt.

In my personal opinion, I prefer using Kerudio with HP Fire. Skarmory, Nattorei and Forretress usually think my Kerudio is the perfect set-up bait but what they don't know if that Kerudio has a beautiful OHKO attack. Just sayin'.

You need psychic on ranks as bliss Isnt a problem and put surf over hyrdo pump for somemore acc. Also lastly put enough HP in ranku to make 401 and put the rest in defense. Don't put any in speed as he is slow and you want to keep it like that so payback is weak

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)