Smogon Tour - Season 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ubers will surely be my downfall, but I'll play whenever I can.

Should be fun, thanks to everyone that helped set this up.

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
If it comes down to whoever has the better connection for signing up like it did in some of last tours' tournaments, then you can count me out.

I'll probably play a few regardless.

I most likely won't be able to play this tour (definitely not the first week) and I'm sure that comes as a big disappointment to... myself.

I'm sure I'm good enough to compete at a high level in UU but this is a good thing I guess so I could get better at other tiers before going on a smogon tour.

Good luck to everyone I'll try to keep updated on whats going on.

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
Don't know if there is a way to make it better, but I don't feel like spamming my refresh button for a minute or more waiting for the topic to come up just to compete with 63+ other people doing the same. I am sure we remember the topics that filled up in literally a minute last tour.

Just my choice, obviously.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'm actually in favor of trying that for at least the first three weeks. After that, I'll make a judgment call one way or the other. Great idea, ipl.

Another obvious solution is to increase participation cap. It's an idea to consider, perhaps more practial if joint hosting becomes an option (certain 64 report to one, the rest to the other, or something like that). This makes the task much more managable, and makes the Tour more accessible for everyone. As somebody with dial-up, I can attest to the dreaded race with connection speeds Fabbles is referring to. The issue will surely get worse as Smogon grows, so getting a start on this might not be a bad thing.

On the Tour itself, awful start date for me. Really looking forward to this though, sat out for the entirety of the last one. Not looking forward to the competition though, gonna be intense yet irritating (and not to mention, 1 week to learn UU? No sweat <_>). EDIT: Oh shit, I might be working at these times. *crosses fingers*

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay making it so you can only sign up once a week isn't going to stop signups from filling up quickly. If we're looking to make it so you don't have to sit there hitting refresh for a minute then this definitely isn't the solution. I'm sure someone can come up with something better.

Or we can just leave things the way they are since I don't really see a problem. The players that really want to get in get in, sorry if spamming refresh for a minute so you can play an hour long tourney seems like too much of a price to pay.

Two things:

1) Is the actual time that sign-ups open publicly announced? All I see is "May 23rd," but no actual time (Like 3pm EST, etc).
2) Is this going to be on Shoddy or WiFi? Because, with the Plat Battle Recorder, this can be done on WiFi now. If this is answered in "Da Rules" then my mistake, but maybe a change of pace would be nice. :)

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes the tourneys are publicly stated on Shoddybattle by the mods and Admins running it for the day. We usually give 1 hour warnings with 15 min reminders in between.

"The schedule will be the same as the past. Two tours per week at the following times:

Saturdays: 8 pm Eastern
Sundays: 2 pm Eastern"

All battles take place on Shoddy

Yes the tourneys are publicly stated on Shoddybattle by the mods and Admins running it for the day. We usually give 1 hour warnings with 15 min reminders in between.

"The schedule will be the same as the past. Two tours per week at the following times:

Saturdays: 8 pm Eastern
Sundays: 2 pm Eastern"

All battles take place on Shoddy
Thanks for the info.

This doesn't seem so appealing to me as to go out of my way, but if I'm there, then I will give it a shot. Who knows, it could be fun.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
Ipl had a good idea, but I'm not sure if it will improve the situation. Quite a few people play in both tours, but there are also a lot of people that only play in one due to their time zone. I remember waiting about 5 minutes in several tours before there were 64 players, bar OU tours. Even with a slow connection, someone would be able to get in with that much time. It would also take away one of the elements that people like -- being able to play again if they get unlucky.

only once per week, what the hell?
Not only is that a bit unfair, as you could easily lose in rd.1 due to bad hax, but this would also be annoying for the host. Instead of just putting the signup names into a bracketmaker, they would have to check if they had already played the day before. Not worth the extra effort imo.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'm sorry. Not everyone is going to be pleased. We are going to try something new... see if it works... and then move on from there. I'm very grateful for everyone's cooperation. If you have other ideas that would improve the situation, please send those my way... I'll willing to try anything that I think will improve the situation.

Also, increasing the cap beyond 64 is not something we will do. We did that once and the tour dragged for hours. Not pleasant for anyone.

Pretty excited competing in the official smogon tour for the first time. r the sign ups on May 23rd or the actual tour on May 23rd please PM me or post below and does anyone know wat time 8pm Eastern is in GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)