Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
Where is the site with all the smogon stats that shows which item is used more on this pokemon, what moves it uses, etc.
Sorry if this has been asked before.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Quick, mayby dumb, question but I am having a hard time finding it. If you say battle in gen 4 (DP) OU can you use a pikachu (gen 1) or any pokemon of previous generations for that matter.
For gens 1-7 you can use any Pokémon from a past generation. This is because you can trade them forward to the game (in this case Platinum) that Gen 4 OU is played on.

For gens 8 and 9 you can't trade forward every Pokémon, so some older Pokémon cannot be used. These will not appear in the teambuilder for that format on showdown, and if you search for them, it will say they're illegal.

For gens 1-7 you can use any Pokémon from a past generation. This is because you can trade them forward to the game (in this case Platinum) that Gen 4 OU is played on.

For gens 8 and 9 you can't trade forward every Pokémon, so some older Pokémon cannot be used. These will not appear in the teambuilder for that format on showdown, and if you search for them, it will say they're illegal.
Thank you very much, I appreciate this detailed response.

isnt gen 4 played on hgss

Also what is DW OU?
In Gen 5, hidden abilities (at the time, they were known as Dream World abilities because the Pokemon came from the now-defunct Dream World service) were introduced, but not every Dream World ability was released. It was assumed that every Dream World ability would get released, so in anticipation for this, every single one was made legal for the format, as well as datamined Pokemon like Keldeo and Genesect that were in BW1 but hadn't been released. Because the format revolved around information from BW1, the Therian formes, Kyurem-Black, and the BW2 move tutor moves were never added as a part of the format (so for instance, Poison Heal + Stealth Rock Gliscor never existed in this format). There were also minimal bans in this format (it includes Pokemon like Deoxys-Speed that are currently banned from OU), so the tier was a lot more aggressive than BW OU is.

According to the dex page, it lost interest after BW2 released.

Also, Chandelure has Shadow Tag.

Suggestion: re-open the Politics thread in Cong.

America is witnessing one of the most clear cut violations of first amendment rights in history. I am sure other countries will soon follow. Hiding behind the "difficulty" of moderating posts in that thread is not a valid excuse for it not to exist. It's been 7 months since the thread was closed now and protests are still alive and well. The situation in Gaza is not showing any signs of slowing down. We should be able to discuss these topics freely especially given we have a young audience that browses Cong. They can either learn what's happening to their peers now or find out in the history books later. I'd prefer we let discourse occur and allow the thread to moderate itself should it come to that.

Eve awyp Oglemi

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Suggestion: re-open the Politics thread in Cong.

America is witnessing one of the most clear cut violations of first amendment rights in history. I am sure other countries will soon follow. Hiding behind the "difficulty" of moderating posts in that thread is not a valid excuse for it not to exist. It's been 7 months since the thread was closed now and protests are still alive and well. The situation in Gaza is not showing any signs of slowing down. We should be able to discuss these topics freely especially given we have a young audience that browses Cong. They can either learn what's happening to their peers now or find out in the history books later. I'd prefer we let discourse occur and allow the thread to moderate itself should it come to that.
This is currently being discussed among the staff and SS, however nothing's guaranteed at this point. Recent issues with the thread arose primarily not because of the discussions and content within, but because of the overly casual atmosphere of the thread and peoples' reactions to the content of the thread not staying localized to it. If it comes back, measures will be taken to increase moderation and implement stricter posting guidelines (more akin to past iterations of the thread, unlike the more lax recent one).

At the end of the day, and to be blunt, while we are an unofficial global community comprised primarily of young adults, we are a Pokemon community first and foremost, and an off topic forum does not need to include political discourse. You and I both know I don't hide behind excuses; while small in scope, a thread like this can have larger effects on the community that are.. unsavory. A clear vision, goal, and guidelines need to be implemented before moving forward with reopening the thread, otherwise it won't last long again.

This is currently being discussed among the staff and SS, however nothing's guaranteed at this point. Recent issues with the thread arose primarily not because of the discussions and content within, but because of the overly casual atmosphere of the thread and peoples' reactions to the content of the thread not staying localized to it. If it comes back, measures will be taken to increase moderation and implement stricter posting guidelines (more akin to past iterations of the thread, unlike the more lax recent one).

At the end of the day, and to be blunt, while we are an unofficial global community comprised primarily of young adults, we are a Pokemon community first and foremost, and an off topic forum does not need to include political discourse. You and I both know I don't hide behind excuses; while small in scope, a thread like this can have larger effects on the community that are.. unsavory. A clear vision, goal, and guidelines need to be implemented before moving forward with reopening the thread, otherwise it won't last long again.
An off-topic forum doesn't need to include any specific topic, yet the forum as it stands currently houses the most niche threads in existence with 0 engagement. The lack of a Politics thread feels like a pretty big glaring omission on a website that has a dedicated #current-events channel on their official Discord.

I don't really follow what you're implying about the larger effects this can have on the community. If it's too heated for people to handle, simply don't read it. We don't impose these rules/restrictions on any other topic. We both know if there was no ongoing war in Gaza right now the thread would be open. When the thread was initially closed it wasn't even that bad. I saw and still see more cutthroat discussions in Policy Review than I ever have in Cong.

There have been some threads made that are pretty political, or threads that turned into politics and IMO that kind of shows that a politics thread would be better just, at the minimum, to make a quarantine zone. It'd also perhaps be easier to moderate.

I could see it having a negative effect and I get why it's closed but I do think it may be better for the health of the social forums.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
An off-topic forum doesn't need to include any specific topic, yet the forum as it stands currently houses the most niche threads in existence with 0 engagement. The lack of a Politics thread feels like a pretty big glaring omission on a website that has a dedicated #current-events channel on their official Discord.

I don't really follow what you're implying about the larger effects this can have on the community. If it's too heated for people to handle, simply don't read it. We don't impose these rules/restrictions on any other topic. We both know if there was no ongoing war in Gaza right now the thread would be open. When the thread was initially closed it wasn't even that bad. I saw and still see more cutthroat discussions in Policy Review than I ever have in Cong.
Crazy how that might change the dynamics of a forum comprised primarily of white Amero- and Eurocentric users, whose closest experience with conflict is likely an Iraq or Afghanistan-serving family member, and whose solopstic armchair opinions may not be as welcome to exist waxing philosophically about the very real deaths affecting other members of this community.

As you pointed out, other avenues do and have been available where these discussions have been taking place successfully. So, again, reopening the thread is being talked about. I can't and am not speaking for everyone, and I'm not even divulging my actual opinions here on the existence of a politics thread, i'm simply stating the facts that there are some very real things to consider and tighten down before jumping into another maelstrom.

Crazy how that might change the dynamics of a forum comprised primarily of white Amero- and Eurocentric users, whose closest experience with conflict is likely an Iraq or Afghanistan-serving family member, and whose solopstic armchair opinions may not be as welcome to exist waxing philosophically about the very real deaths affecting other members of this community.

As you pointed out, other avenues do and have been available where these discussions have been taking place successfully. So, again, reopening the thread is being talked about. I can't and am not speaking for everyone, and I'm not even divulging my actual opinions here on the existence of a politics thread, i'm simply stating the facts that there are some very real things to consider and tighten down before jumping into another maelstrom.
I apologize. Next time I'll share my white Amerocentric views on the war in the white Amerocentric Discord server instead of expecting parity between the two. We're already there with respect to the background of the users.

Celever

i am town

We’ve just had a very lengthy (and pleasant) political discussion in the graveyard of the current mafia game. A running theme throughout it was “lol it would be nice if the Smogon thread still existed” (none of these comments by me).

I understand that a politics thread can be a hassle to moderate. I understand also that it can be a political minefield, wherein you don’t want to exact punishment on the tiny minority of users who refuse to get ratioed and quiet down while expressing bigotry.

However, Smogon is one of the largest internet forums that still sustains a high and broad level of activity. It is also one of the most global within the aforementioned category. The lack of a politics thread is a gaping hole, and far lesser communities have such a place for this topic.

Reinstate the politics thread.

We’ve just had a very lengthy (and pleasant) political discussion in the graveyard of the current mafia game. A running theme throughout it was “lol it would be nice if the Smogon thread still existed” (none of these comments by me).

I understand that a politics thread can be a hassle to moderate. I understand also that it can be a political minefield, wherein you don’t want to exact punishment on the tiny minority of users who refuse to get ratioed and quiet down while expressing bigotry.

However, Smogon is one of the largest internet forums that still sustains a high and broad level of activity. It is also one of the most global within the aforementioned category. The lack of a politics thread is a gaping hole, and far lesser communities have such a place for this topic.

Reinstate the politics thread.
This isn't a general forum though. It's a Pokémon forum. Politics doesn't need to have a place here.

Celever

i am town
This isn't a general forum though. It's a Pokémon forum. Politics doesn't need to have a place here.
But every other thread in Cong also doesn’t need to have a place here. It’s literally an off-topic forum. If we just want to be a Pokémon forum, nuke the Cong subforum.

The politics thread holds merit because it contains and provides a platform for the types of discussions that generate organically. Among good friends, politics will often be a conversation topic that comes up — far more than the topics of most Cong threads.

I do understand why the Politics thread was shut down. I also understand the rationale behind leaving it shut, particularly to do with keeping community pleasant. But I do think that if someone is posting in the politics thread then they are electing themselves to the outcome of them voicing their opinion, and it’s not the role of moderators to pre-emptively protect them from themselves.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
I think that's enough about the politics thread to be honest. This is not a discussion thread for long back-and-forths. It's intended for quick one-off questions or suggestions that doesn't require long discussions. If there's a need for a long discussion that should be taken with the responsible mod team directly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)