Tournament Smogon Premier League X: SM OU Discussion

Hello, welcome to the SPL X's discussion thread of SM OU!

Another SPL has started, and while I think nobody will give a shit to this thread as seen by the last years's ones, I think we can't give up and should keep trying to maintain the hype with some interesting discussions, constructive reviews about metagame trends, possible lineups for the teams and games played. By the way, the official schedule can be found here, and here are the drafted teams:

The SM OU players of each lineup, including possible supporters and substitutes (inside parentheses), might be:

[13-7] #9 - Dragonspiral Tyrants - Poek + Mana (reyscarface, blunder, aim, Rodriblutar, ict, CTC, GaryTheGengar, Christo).
[13-7] #10 - The Wi-Fi Wolfpack
- Kickasser + Charmflash (TDK, Welli0u, Santu, GSC LOWER TIER KING HSA, rozes, Sjneider [traded from Sharks]).
[11-9] #6 - The Indie Scooters - craing ;_; + Lopunny Kicks (FlamingVictini, Ojama, robjr, FMG, Will of Fire, Relous, Cdumas [traded from Bigs]).
[10-8] #2 - The Circus Maximus Tigers - Eternal Spirit + Sacri' (Pohjis, dice, HarrisIsAwesome, Bro Kappa, reiku).
[10-8] #3 - The Ever Grande BIGs - Cdumas + Sabella (xray, FLCL, Ultraballz, Valentine).
[10-10] #8 - The Alpha Ruiners - Empo + imsosorrylol (Hiye, Lavos, Pearl, Jimmy Turtwig, RedEmption, Luigi, Rewer).
[8-10] #4 - The Stark Sharks - Tamahome + Tricking (M Dragon, Analytic, Lycans, Posho, EviGaro, Znain, Spectear, High Impulse).
[8-10] #7 - The Congregation of the Classiest - Finchinator + 1 True Lycan (z0mog, Eo, yjh971203, Garay oak, Insult, baddummy, Genesis7, ZoroDark).
[7-11] #5 - The Team Raiders - bro fist + Talah (Gondra, SoulWind, Trosko, The Hallows).
[4-14] #1 - The Cryonicles - ABR + BHRATH_THEBEST (obii, elodin, Alexander., Malekith, Leru, Exiline).
Useful Links

- Power Rankings: up
- Replays Thread:
up
- SPL X Spreadsheet: up

Post-SPL Teams Dump / Underrated Sets

-
Underrated sets by Insult [link]
- Teams dump by Charmflash [link]
- Underrated sets by talah [link]

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
So this SPL I (perhaps with the help of the other OU moderators) will be taking 2-3 highlight matches per week after the games are played and going through the replays, providing analysis, etc. in this thread! I am yet to establish a formal format for how we plan to do it, but expect to see more after the tournament gets going! Good luck to everyone playing and I am very excited to play/watch others play!

As reflected in today's power rankings, Sorry's been heavily under-rated so far with only those who've paid close attention to his underground accomplishments having a true awareness of his threat potential this SPL. To me, he is a true pick of scouted talent rather than someone simply drafted for legacy or circlejerk's sake (unlike some complete randoms in this tour lol), and so for that, he has my respect.

He had a shaky start in team tours (SSD1), but has since then grown profoundly both as a person and as a player. So don't expect any rat gifs or choked games this season smh :facepalm:.

It was left out of the power rankings fsr, but while he was benched from tours he had a massive influence both over OLT V's qualifying pools and the long-reaching success of several of those players during (and even after) the course of the tournament, despite being completely banned from those same competitive opportunities himself. The fact that some random kid could take an old-as-fuck team of his and qualify with it should speak at least somewhat to the longevity of his team-building stratagems.

Empo is a fair partner to imsosorrylol, so I'm interested to see how Empo's influence and feedback bleeds into my friend's choice of game play and teams.

Sorry was accurately described as having an offense biased play-style, though he is independently capable of crafting varied semi-stall & balance type-teams and using each of those just as effectively. If need be, he can also craft a surprising gimmick to cheese out wins, too, although his team structures are never loosely constructed all-or-nothings, even if the gimmicks themselves fail to present an effective execution.

He hasn't broke under pressure (or shown much stress at all) while facing known tour players during Blunder tour such as Finchinator and Googly (handily 2-0'ing each, respectively), so I'm not fearful that he'll collapse under the high pressure that comes from SPL or starting anew from dubious circumstances, especially as there are a handful of tour players he tests with regularly all the while reliably demonstrating strong game-play instinct throughout.

He was drafted as a starter for a reason, and I hope soon others start to see why.

P.S Scarf Serperior is not a meme omg!!!

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Since it is the first week and players are still adjusting, I will only be going through 1 game itself, but I will be putting an emphasis more on trends and including the usage statistics for the "new" Zygardeless metagame so that people can get an idea of what is changing!

Week 1 games
Noteworthy trends
  • Protean Greninja is back and perhaps better than ever. In the post Zygarde metagame, more people have been taking advantage of it as a more unpredictable means of generating offensive pressure, luring specific threats, and creating momentum even. While cumulative Greninja usage topping the charts is not necessarily a surprise, a number of these were Protean, as opposed to the previously far more common Ash Greninja. While Ash Greninja is of course still a top threat, we could be in for more Protean Greninja in the coming weeks, so stay tuned to find out if that is indeed the case.
  • Mega Alakazam has been fantastic since last WCOP, but it did take a bit of a dip in terms of usage later during Snake. Unsurprisingly, it's back and seemingly as good as ever. It felt like there was a Mega Alakazam in most games this week, with it being used 7 times (35%). Perhaps the fall of Tangrowth enabled it to be used a bit more, but it's too soon to tell if it will stick or if the metagame will adapt to it, especially with Celesteela and Magearna still being solid.
  • Mega Latias is always one of the quieter presences in the metagame, but when it is used, it makes a decent splash. This week is no different, but it saw even more usage than normal, finding itself tied with Magearna at fifth overall (30%) in usage. While this is not likely to remain the case, it is still impressive that this more defensive oriented mega evolution saw so much usage and was as effective as it was, seeing as it won over 80% of the times Latias was used.
  • Garchomp has been seeing more and more usage ever since later in Snake, but it continues to rise as of late, establishing itself as a premier Stealth Rock setter on bulky-offense. Unfortunately, it had a low win percentage, but it is still finding its way on to many teams and that should remain the case moving forward.
Stats (shamelessly stolen from Eo)

Game Analysis

- click for replay

Empo vs Tamahome - From team preview, you see two Mega Alakazam teams with offensive tools to threaten the opposition, but also respectable defensive measures. Empo's team can be described as one of his go-to bulky-offense builds, making use of his beloved Assault Vest Magearna and frequented Kartana. In terms of utility, he also has Landorus-Therian as his Stealth Rock setter and a number of naturally fast Pokemon such as the aforementioned Mega Alakazam and Greninja, which can be Ash or Protean depending on a number of things. Rounding out his team is a menacing Tapu Lele, poised to threaten the opposing team with a bit of chip on Magearna and pairing quite nicely with his Mega Alakazam, forming a potent offensive core. On the other side, we have veteran Tamahome, who is bringing a more balanced team. His squad makes use of the up-and-coming Kyurem paired with likely Toxic Spikes Toxapex, giving him a respectable core that is quite annoying for standard builds to keep up momentum against, let alone stay healthy against. He appears to have Stealth Rock Garchomp and Choice Scarf Landorus-Therian as means of utility, speed control, and likely Defog. Finally, a Magearna, which seems to likely be Assault Vest or at least bulkier CM Split, rounds out the team of Tamahome, giving him an appealing mix of offensive progress makers and defensive presences to give him a fighting shot in most games.

In terms of match-up, Empo could do quite well with his dual Psychic core if it is able to overwhelm the opposing Magearna. In addition, if he is Swords Dance Kartana and Scarf Greninja, then the latter can open up opportunities for the former to perhaps claim timely kills, giving Empo a stylistic advantage over the less offensively oriented balanced team Tamahome is using. However, Tamahome has means of slowing Empo, such as the likely Toxic Spikes putting half of Empo's team on a timer or at the very least forcing Landorus-Therian to take a turn to Defog. In addition, if the Garchomp is Swords Dance Z instead of Rocky Helmet, then it can certainly claim a kill if played wisely, but this is not necessarily the set as the Magearna can also be the Z user on Tamahome's team. Ultimately, Empo seems to have a slight match-up advantage, but both players can take the game if they play wiser than the opponent, so let's see how it goes!

Getting into the game itself, we see two probably Choice Scarf users lead, with Greninja being the choice for Empo and Landorus-Therian being the choice from Tamahome. A conservative Ice Beam finds a pivoting Toxapex, letting Empo get his Tapu Lele in early on the expected Toxic Spike. From there, a series of likely Choice Specs Psyshock from Tapu Lele weaken a Pain Split Magearna, who eventually trades 88% of its health for the Tapu Lele. This, however, allows for Empo's Alakazam follow-up to revenge kill the Magearna, leaving the game at 5-5 with Alakazam out against the Landorus-Therian of Tamahome, which he brought out following the Magearna's death. It is worth noting that the Alakazam from Empo did not mega evolve, which is a smart move as he was able to maintain Magic Guard with the layer of Toxic Spikes otherwise causing him to consistently lose health when brought in.

A U-turn from Tamahome is met by an aggressive Kartana pivot from the Empo side; Tamahome decides his Garchomp is the appropriate response, so these two stare each-other down and both take the following turn to set up -- Swords Dance for Empo's Kartana and Stealth Rock for Tamahome's Garchomp. A deadly Breakneck Blitz takes out the Garchomp, giving Empo a 5-4 advantage and making his risky Swords Dance play pay off major dividends as he now seems to be in the lead despite being on the back foot momentum-wise just a couple turns prior. However, Tamahome makes a phenomenal play to even the game out, sending his Alakazam out, mega evolving, and clicking Focus Blast into Greninja, which was likely the Choice Scarfer on Empo's team. It connected, thankfully for the Shark's veteran, and evened out the score at 4 all with the Mega Alakazam assuming the Fighting typing after tracing Protean.

Empo was not going to give in that easily though; he brought out his Magearna on the following turn and made a no-nonsense play, clicking Fleur Cannon. Tamahome, likely predicting the Volt Switch on his Toxapex pivot, stayed in to try and get a Protean Focus Blast off on to the opposing Magearna. Unfortunately for him, he fails to connect this time and then died to the Fleur Cannon, setting him back significantly and putting Empo in a comfortable 4-3 spot. The Landorus-Therian follow-up U-turned into the Kartana once more, but now all that Tamahome had to follow-up with was Toxapex, which traded a 29% Knock Off for a Scald and burn on a near-dead opposing Kartana. Likely predicting the Alakazam to come in safely on the Toxapex so he could save the Kartana for fodder, Tamahome aggressively pivoted to his Scarf Landorus-Therian once more. Empo stayed in and impressively clicked Knock Off once more, removing the Choice Scarf and ending any realistic hopes Tamahome had of clawing back into this game without luck in the later sequences despite his respectable maneuvers to try to position himself to have a shot.

From there, a somewhat drawn out sequence between the Magearna and Kyurem is followed up by a Toxapex pivot, but then Tamahome predicted a Volt Switch and went to Landorus-Therian a final time, meeting a fatal Fleur Cannon from Empo, who seemed to be on fire at this point with his reads. To end the game off, Kyurem got to show off a cool tech, in Tectonic rage, but it was not nearly enough as it substituted on a number of Iron Heads and ultimately died to a critical hit Fleur Cannon. While this was annoying for Tamahome, there was still a Mega Alakazam and Landorus-Therian in the back to handle the Kyurem itself and the Toxapex unless unfortunate misses occurred, letting Empo emerge victorious with a 3-0 victory over Tamahome.

---

I would also like to plug my YouTube videos because I gave more honest thoughts and analysis of the games live, for individuals who enjoy that type of stuff.

ABR vs Charmflash, Lopunny Kicks vs Cdumas, BHARATH_THEBEST vs Kickasser, imsosorrylol vs Tricking, and Mana vs Sacri' are my SM OU videos from this week. Here are my predictions for the upcoming week, too!

Pex's 35% usage sort of surprised me since that's very high but considering the lack of Zygarde and balance's popularity in tours it makes sense. I noticed Pex + Fat Steel was on many teams; there isn't inherently much type synergy besides Pex shutting down Fire-Types but the Steels were usually Celesteela, Magearna, or Ferrothorn which obviously synergize well. SteelaPex in general looks very good right now.

I'm expecting to see some more Magnezones running around next week since it handles these cores well and is just frightening in general with Sub + Steelium Z. Also helps against Clefable which is doing well.

Personally I'm not looking too much into each mon's W/L rate since one week is too little to find a pattern. However I place more emphasis on usage of various sets or less-common mons since that represents the current meta better imo.

Also Volcarona is as solid as ever.

Zygarde I feel was the only thing keeping Pex from completely taking over OU. JTD783 is completely right when he says that bulky steel was good with Pex, and that's why I was so mad at the Zygarde ban. Now there are only a few mon in OU that have a chance of breaking Pex. One of them (pretty obviously) is mega Alakazam, but it's just so frail, and gets walled pretty hard by skar without good coverage. Other mon that run HP Ground like latios and some variations of lele get (again) completely walled by specially bulky steel types. The usage of Pex also is bringing out more usage in zeraora and magnezone, which are really hard to fit into a team because of the ever-lurking presence of EQ, and while zeraora has stellar speed, bulu and MVenasuar have a field day toying with it. Actually, with the release of zeraora in UU, the ban of Zygarde, and skar bieng so popular, I think people will start to run more MVenasuar, and will discover the fact that toxapex really can't touch it. Being a big supporter of venasaur, I like that is isn't being neglected as much anymore.

Zygarde I feel was the only thing keeping Pex from completely taking over OU. JTD783 is completely right when he says that bulky steel was good with Pex, and that's why I was so mad at the Zygarde ban. Now there are only a few mon in OU that have a chance of breaking Pex. One of them (pretty obviously) is mega Alakazam, but it's just so frail, and gets walled pretty hard by skar without good coverage. Other mon that run HP Ground like latios and some variations of lele get (again) completely walled by specially bulky steel types. The usage of Pex also is bringing out more usage in zeraora and magnezone, which are really hard to fit into a team because of the ever-lurking presence of EQ, and while zeraora has stellar speed, bulu and MVenasuar have a field day toying with it. Actually, with the release of zeraora in UU, the ban of Zygarde, and skar bieng so popular, I think people will start to run more MVenasuar, and will discover the fact that toxapex really can't touch it. Being a big supporter of venasaur, I like that is isn't being neglected as much anymore.
:blobshrug:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sure where to begin on this.

First, even in a meta where Zygarde was rampant Pex was always common and fairly decent in win percentages. I'm sure you accidentally read a ChrystalFalchion post so I understand where that misconception came from. Pex + Steel has always been a fairly solid core. It definitely is a bit better since only Smack Down / Gravity shenanigans really shake through Celesteela as an example (which was common on some Lando-Ts in various team tournaments, and actually curious to see if they'll pop up again).

Secondly, if Latios ever ran a Ground-type move it was Earthquake with Mega. Some ran Surf to combat Heatran a bit more effectively (but they had to be extra cautious since Corkscrew dumpsters Latios when switching in). Third, while Mega Alakazam can't take hits very well it has Trace to help against specific switch-ins such as Heatran, can take advantage Tracing Beast Boost and Soul Heart, and can Trace Regenerator to recover health. Since Protean Gren is on the rise it can also use this pretty well too. Recover helps keep Zam healthy too.

Pex's rise doesnt exactly correlate to a Magnezone rise in usage. Steel-types have always been fairly common and Magnezones are usually placed in teams that need a Steel removed for a sweeper (think SD Gliscor). I don't even know why Zeroara was mentioned. It has been used a grand total of 0 times in a serious environment.

Mega Venusaur is plagued by a lot of issues that make it hard to use over other Grass-types, so I don't really see it spiking in usage either.

I don't have major objections to JTD783's post since there is at least some educated assumptions on what could be popular, but I'm not going to let nonsense theorymon like this Plague the thread. While I dread seeing the topic suffer more collateral damage considering the last topic was about a non existent Pokemon (Bronzong), I highly suggest taking your thoughts to Metagame Discussion instead. I would also suggest axing any theorymon or blatantly incorrect statements like HP Ground Latios (I'm sure it's been used, but probably not to the point where it's even notable).

To prevent further pollution, I posted my thoughts on curious to see if we might see other Lando-T sets like Gravity or Smack Down come out of the woodwork. Being able to bypass some threats with said moves or Z Fly is pretty nice and Lando-T was known to be a decent breaker on some teams every now and then to open up sweeps for other Pokemon. There hasn't been a lot of Celesteela this week, but there has been a rising usage of Lele and Zam (which to be fair AV Mage has been used a bit and combating) so predicting more Steelas later in the upcoming weeks is fairly accurate. I'm really excited for some of the Rotom-Ws used. Trick was a pretty nice tech used by FMG to cripple Ferrothorn while Charmflash used Z Electric, which is a nice homage to the early use of Z Water. With there being a lot of Tornadus-T used in teams it's still pretty nice as a pivot with a few options like a pinch berry and / or Defog. Harder to incorporate in teams.

One small tech I thought was great was John's usage of Stomping Tantrum on Chomp. It's something that's been used on occasion on Mega Chomper, but it's a great option on some of Chomp's bulkier sets - especially when it's paired with Bulu.

Looking forward to watching as many games as I can throughout the coming weeks and seeing what else might come up through SPL. Thanks ES, Finch, and others for the contributions to the thread so far.

Last edited:
But I still stand on Venasaur. I think it really shines in the current meta, and I find it both easy to fit on teams and is a pretty well-rounded mon in general. It has solid defenses at 123/120, and while being a special attacker, its base 100 Atk isn't bad when it runs EQ. I know synthesis isn't the best recovery move, but at least it can keep itself healthy. It also shines when facing stall teams, having a toxic immunity. Thick fat makes its only unlowered weaknesses flying and psychic, whic the former isn't really the most common offensive typing in OU, aside from Supersonic Skystrike on Specific mon. True, psychic is both offensive and defensive, with some pretty hard hitters like MAlakazam and lele, but there are many mon like skar and Ferrothorn that can deal with them.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
DERPGengar10 I think that posts of your nature belong more in the Metagame Discussion thread than here. I am glad that you have lots to say and I think many are interested in discussing parts of the metagame, but this thread is more geared towards discussion specific to the tournament/the games played in it and I think you're off on a bit of a tangent now. Also, try to avoid double posting in the future. Thanks!

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Finch wanted me to cover some replays from this past week because he won't have time to do it himself so here we are

imsosorrylol vs Mana

Looking at team preview sorry brought a very offensive team with Mega Alakazam, Greninja and Kartana forming a very potent offensive core while Stealth Rock Landorus-T and presumably Assault Vest Magearna are capable of taking hits and generating momentum. Finally Tornadus-T provides Defog and a good offensive pivot with great durability for the team. Kartana in particular seems very troublesome for Mana depending on the set seeing as Choice Band Kartana outspeeds the majority of his team and threatens out some of his key defensive Pokemon. In addition to that Mega Alakazam has great potential as well with Mana seemingly having no reliable switchins other than pivoting around and forcing it out with Mawile's Sucker Punch and Landorus-T's U-turn. On the other side of the battle Mana has a bulkier Mega Mawile team paired with Rotom-W as has been seen quite often these first 2 weeks. A rather unconventional pick in Hydreigon complements Mega Mawile's wallbreaking capabilities while providing defensive utility against Ash Greninja and Heatran, although its average speed could hold it back in this matchup where at least 4 of sorry's Pokemon are faster and can take advantage of it. Mana's Heatran finds itself in a similar position with Mega Alakazam on top of it blocking its Fire-type attacks and preventing it from doing much even if it gets switch-in opportunities against Assault Vest Magearna or a Choice locked Kartana. Clefable either provides Stealth Rock or a secondary win condition with Calm Mind although the latter could struggle against a Choice Band Kartana. Finally what's probably a Scarf Landorus-T rounds out the team and provides momentum and speed control with a great matchup against sorry's fast and frail threats. While Mana doesn't have many immediate threats to sorry's team, his team's bulkier nature could give him an edge in this matchup and wear down sorry's Landorus-T enough for Mega Mawile to sweep with Sucker Punch should it be a Swords Dance set.

The game starts off with sorry leading his Magearna against Mana's Rotom-W and immediately pivotting into Kartana with Volt Switch after catching a Thunder Wave from Rotom. Kartana reveals to be Choice Band after hitting Mawile for almost half of its HP. Sorry decides to go into his Landorus-T to check the Mawile and generate more momentum in his favor but Mana goes into Heatran likely as a mid-ground to preserve Mawile's HP and finds himself in a disadvantageous position that allows sorry to get up his rocks. Mana decides to use this as an opportunity to do the same with his Clefable at the cost of giving Kartana another free switch-in. Mana doesn't want to risk sorry catching a switch-in like Heatran with the appropiate coverage move so he goes into his Scarf Landorus-T and puts himself back in the lead in terms of momentum. A combination of Landorus' U-Turn Rotom's Volt Switch and Mawile's Play Rough claim the first kill of the game on Tornadus-T in exchange for Rotom's Leftovers. With Kartana on the field for the third time sorry attempts to catch Heatran on the switch but is stopped in his tracks by Mana's Clefable. In the following turns sorry tries to beat Mana's Clefable with his Alakazam and while it doesn't seem like he'll be able to at first due to Clefable having a lot of SpD investment he reveals Encore on a Flamethrower and forces it out at about half HP. A couple turns later sorry's Greninja switches into a Fire Blast from Hydreigon and U-Turns out revealing Greninja to be Protean and Hydreigon to be Choice Specs. Sorry trades some of Magearna's HP for more momentum and gets Alakazam in on Heatran to finish off an incoming Hydreigon with Focus Blast. Mana then uses his Rotom to give Mawile a free switch and heavily damage the incoming Landorus-T. From there sorry gets Kartana back into the field and catches Heatran on the switch with a Sacred Sword, letting in Clefable once again to face off against Mega Alakazam. In the next 2 turns sorry gives up his Alakazam in exchange for Clefable's HP which is no longer high enough to be worth keeping and ends up being sacked to Kartana. In return sorry is forced to pick another mon to throw to Mawile's Play Rough and chooses Magearna.

This is where the game reaches a critical point with sorry's Landorus-T staring at Mawile. Expecting Mana to switch into either of his Ground immune Pokemon sorry goes into Kartana but is met with a Play Rough from Mawile that leaves it in range of Sucker Punch. After getting this 50-50 wrong, sorry tries to save his Kartana and go into Landorus-T but is caught yet again by Mana who switches into Rotom and proceeds to finish off Kartana. After a very impressive endgame that came down to the last few turns, Mana finishes off sorry's last 2 Pokemon to take the win and moves onto Week 3 with a 1-1 record.

~~

Tamahome vs Sabella

Looking at the matchup Tamahome brought a fairly straight-forward Bulky Offense team with Greninja and Garchomp forming the team's offensive core while being able to aply lots of pressure with their respective hazards. The rest of the team acts as the pretty safe defensive backbone that covers a wide array of threats in the meta in part due to the Fire-Water-Grass synergy between Heatran Tangrowth and Rotom-W. Clefable is likely a Calm Mind set seeing as Garchomp is more than likely the Stealth Rock user which makes for a nice secondary win condition on this team. Tamahome's going to need to set up hazards early in the game to wear down Sabella's mons in range of Greninja's and Garchomp's attacks seeing as Greninja and Garchomp lack the initial power to break through healthy Landorus-T, Rotom-W and Magearna if they are defensive sets. Sabella's using a more offensively oriented team with yet another Rotom-W generating momentum for the team's wallbreakers in Tapu Lele and any of Tapu Lele, Charizard, Landorus-T and Tornadus-T depending on their sets and who's carrying the Z-Move, though Landorus and Tornadus are most likely defensive sets aiming to generate even more momentum. Magearna could further the team's defensive backbone with an AV set or provide a deadly win condition with a Shift Gear set. Sabella's team has a lot of potential threats to Tamahome, mainly Specs Tapu Lele if packing Focus Blast for Heatran, either Mega Charizard though Mega Charizard X with coverage for Heatran and Garchomp is the most threatening of the 2 and a lategame Magearna once Heatran is weakened.

Both players lead their Rotom and Tamahome opts for immediate iniciative with a faster Volt Switch into Clefable to absorb the incoming Will-o-Wisp and start setting up with Calm Mind. After missing Wisp Sabella Volt Switches into Torn and tries to weaken Clef with Sludge Bomb to get a free switch on a recovery move but is met with a Thunder Wave. He then U-turns into Charizard and reveals to be X with a strong Flare Blitz on the Clef that leaves it too low to stay in so it's forced out after succesfully crippling both Tornadus and Charizard with paralysis. Garchomp doesn't take the second Flare Blitz very comfortably confirming its offensive nature and opts to Earthquake the Charizard in case Sabella stays in predicting Stealth Rock and leaves Garchomp at a very low amount of HP with a second Flare Blitz. Sabella decides to preserve his Charizard however and switches into Landorus-T to exchange hazard with Garchomp and U-turn on the incoming Rotom-W thus letting Tapu Lele in on the field. Pitiful damage from a Psychic on Tamahome's Heatran switchin confirms it not being Choice Specs and leads him to switch into Tangrowth scouting for an All-out-Pummeling. Sabella switches into Rotom-W instead and uses Volt Switch yet again to bring in what reveals to be an Assault Vest Tornadus-T. Tamahome switches into Rotom-W seeing as nothing else on his team wants to lose its item to a Knock Off or catch a Hurricane and steals Torn's AV with Trick in order to make it easier for his Greninja to beat down as it U-turns out into Tapu Lele. In the subsequent turns Sabella manages to bait in Heatran for some more hazard damage and prompts Tamahome to sack his Rotom-W to a U-turn from Landorus-T. With the regained momentum Tamahome manages to heal its Clefable back to near full HP and brings in his Greninja as Mega Charizard X Roosts up. Unfortunately for Tamahome his Ash Greninja misses Hydro Pump on the incoming Torn and fails to knock it out with the second, which stops it from transforming and takes a lot of damage on Gren. Tamahome isn't looking to get Volt Switched on again by Rotom so he switches straight into Garchomp to block it and blow it back with the Z-Move but is stopped by the opposing Landorus-T. After some more pivoting Charizard is back on the field and looking to claim another kill with Flare Blitz but gets paralyzed on a Garchomp switch which leads Sabella to sack his Landorus-T to 2 Stone Edges. Another smart double from Sabella with Tapu Lele allows him to get Charizard another chance to do work but is stopped once again, this time by Heatran. Thankfully for Sabella Rotom's pinch berry allows it to take a Magma Storm and cripple the opposing Tangrowth with Will-o-Wisp. After spending the entire game in the back, Magearna finally comes in on the burnt Tangrowth, sets up and sweeps the remaining 5 Pokemon with the combination of Corkscrew Crash, Focus Blast and Thunderbolt, showing off its destructive late-game potential under the right conditions.

Last edited:
Some thoughts on week 2 pokémon I think deserve a highlight:
  • : Tied with Rotom-W and Greninja for the second most used Pokémon last week with a whopping 40% usage rate, it's clear to see Tornadus-T is still on top of its game. Flynium Z is obviously the deadly nuke it always was (especially when most team's Flying resistances hate Knock Off) wheareas Fightium Z helps it tackle two additional Stealth Rock users in Heatran and Mega Tyranitar, but Rocky Helmet is still a solid glue and the classic Assault Vest set even got used last week, is that perhaps a comeback of the set we thought was dead this generation?
  • : Speaking of Rotom-W, while it was covered last week by esteemed moderator Finchinator it definitely deserves another highlight as it gathered a whopping 40% usage as well, as opposed to the 10% of last week, these types of numbers are far from reliable because SPL X is such a small sample size when it comes to a single week, but it just goes to show how noteworthy Rotom-W is in Zygarde's absence. Rotom-W is mostly seen with the classic LandoGear core that BO loves, though, and BO as a whole appreciates Zygarde being gone.
  • : While Choice Scarf is probably the most consistent and reliable set, we saw some Choice Band and Swords Dance this week, specifically the Breakneck Blitz set, that plows through most would-be-switch ins to Kartana, with a handful of exceptions, of course. That being said, Choice Scarf is still as deadly as ever, but the wallbreaking Kartana sets are still something that can put plenty of pressure on several team structures seen throughout this tournament.

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Apologies for the slight delay, but IRL matters coupled with other priorities on here delayed me by a day or two. Anyway, we have two more interesting battles to bring you guys from last week! And for those who do not follow the tournament actively, remember you can find all of the battles each week here! Regardless of that, all of the Week 3 SM OU battles will be hyperlinked directly below!

[USM OU]

- click for replay
Sacri' vs bro fist - In a classic clash of France and East, we find Sacri', 2-0, playing bro fist, 0-2. While both of these starts may be surprising, do not let the records fool you as this battle truly could go either way with bro fist playing well despite his early lack of success. Getting right into the swing of things, the punisher of plays himself seems to be packing a balanced team, making use of a flashier pick in Charizard as well as a more standardized backbone consisting of Ferrothorn, Rotom-Wash, and Tornadus-Therian. To round things out, bro fist also has the timeless duo of Tyranitar and Excadrill. The first thing you wonder when you see bro fist's team is what Charizard he will be; while the pairing with Tyranitar indicates that it my very well be Mega Charizard-Y, it is true that Mega Charizard-X is far more consistent, which is oftentimes a big factor in bro fist's teambuilding. From there, it seems fairly likely that one of the Excadrill or Tornadus-Therian are going to have the Z and the Tyranitar will either be Assault Vest or Chople Berry Stealth Rock. Overall, his team has the ability to pack a punch while taking a hit and potentially revenge killing opposing threats with the right conditions, which makes it quite well-rounded all things considered.

On the other side, Tiger Sacri' has a bit more of an unconventional balance, making use of lesser-seen Pokemon such as Jirachi, Mega Heracross, Gastrodon, Serperior, and even Zapdos, which has been falling out of favor on non-stall teams. Despite the slew of unorthodox picks, the crafty Frenchman came in poised to pick-up his third straight win to begin this SPL. Alongside the five aforementioned Pokemon was also a Greninja of which the set could be a number of things, which is also something to keep an eye on. Looking at the remaining Pokemon, it seemed clear that Jirachi had to be packing Stealth Rock, Zapdos was very likely to be carrying Defog, and the combination of Serperior and Mega Heracross would be used to make progress, breaking through even the bulkiest of cores if piloted with enough aggression and thought. While his team seemed to struggle with any variant of Charizard, which was found on the other side, it was also true that the Mega Heracross of Sacri''s was similarly threatening to bro fist, making this match-up one that emphasized aggressive pivoting and positioning earlier on in order to set the table for the big-hitters that would ultimately be clearing through.

Each side elected to lead with their Electric type, with Sacri' promptly retreating to his trusty Gastrodon, walling the opposing Rotom-Wash with ease, but eating a Will-O-Wisp on the switch-in, thus crippling it to some degree for the remainder of the battle. From there, Gastrodon fired off a safe Scald, hoping to land a valuable burn of his own. However, he gets fortunate in the wrong way, landing a critical on the Tornadus-Therian, but not burning it, as bro fist safely pivots in to the crippled slug. From there, a smart U-turn leads way for a Ferrothorn to safely come in on a Toxic, avoiding any damage or status thankfully. Likely predicting Mega Heracross, bro fist doubles back out to Tornadus-Therian, but Sacri' wisely goes through a catch-all middleground, pivoting into his Zapdos, giving him momentum for the time being. Finally, Sacri' lets the Zapdos eat a Will-O-Wisp after pivoting out of it turn 1, which happens after a series of Discharges are negated by a slower Pain Split. Trying to get back in control of the situation, Sacri' goes to Gastrodon on a later Pain Split, but his follow-up Toxic does no good as Ferrothorn comes in once more. Finding himself in a similar position, bro fist elects to, once again, double out to his Tornadus-Therian. This time, however, he is correct as the Heracross is found to be switching in on the opposing end. An aggressive U-turn on the predictable Zapdos pivot lets bro fist bring in his threatening Charizard, poised to get off a mega evolution and perhaps claim a kill against the opposing Pressure Zapdos. A surprisingly faster Discharge lands on the Charizard, which revealed itself to be Mega Charizard-x at the start of the turn, but it does a mere 23% while the slower Flare Blitz takes down the weakened Zapdos, leaving bro fist up 6-5.

Thankfully for Sacri', not all was lost. He was able to bring in Greninja and set-up a layer of Spikes as a Rotom-W switched in for bro fist. Knowing that it was likely locked in to Spikes and that his Rotom-Wash was walled by Gastrodon, bro fist quickly doubled out into Tornadus-Therian on the predicted Gastrodon, allowing him to get off a Knock Off and then U-turn consecutively. Unfortunately, the U-turn was met with a burning Scald on his Ferrothorn, crippling it permanently. Nevertheless, bro fist set up a Spike of his own as the opposing Jirachi came on in. Excadrill quickly came in, trying to remove the aforementioned Spike and the Stealth Rock that Jirachi set up on that same turn. bro fist was successful in doing just that with his Excadrill, only taking a mere 21% in return from an Iron head. From there, Excadrill was met with a Serperior, which seemed to check it for the time as it forced the Excadrill out into the Mega Charizard-X, which was immediately met with a timely Glare, proving to be a smart play from Sacri'. However, that was not enough to slow down the rampaging Dragon, which proceeded to Flare Blitz the Greninja for well over half health. The Greninja was not going down without a fight as Sacri' clicked Hydro Pump, doing a massive 80% to an incoming Tyranitar, likely predicting Dark Pulse and wanting to preserve Ferrothorn. Keeping up the good sequence, Sacri' went to his Serperior as the aforementioned Ferrothorn came on in to try and eat a Hydro Pump. Another Glare from Sacri', this time landing on the opposing Tornadus-Therian pivot, led to a free Recover from Gastrodon, which came in on a full paralysis on the Tornadus-Therian itself. From there, Ferrothorn came in to capitalize on the Gastrodon, but it was met with a Mega Heracross pivot on its first turn in, which it could not do much to besides Leech Seed on the switch. Playing with fire, bro fist pivoted his Tornadus-Therian on a Close Combat, which still did 50%. Pin Missle on the following turn connected with Rotom-Wash, which took over 70% before recovering from Leftovers and Leech Seed. It then died to the follow-up Pin Missle, however, evening the score at 5-5.

Excadrill came in as the follow-up from bro fist, taking out the opposing Gastrodon with two attacks, giving him the lead once more, but letting a threatening Serperior come in safely as the follow-up. Unfortunately, the threat was neutralized with a Leaf Storm miss on the incoming Tornadus-Therian. This escalated into a negative sequence for Sacri', who was forced to go to Jirachi on a U-turn, letting Excadrill in safely. This forced Sacri' to fodder his Greninja, quickly giving bro fist a 5-3 lead and making it seem challenging for the Tigers player to claw back into this game. A crafty Jirachi double into a timely Healing Wish at least helped get the Mega Heracross in healthily, but he was now down 3 Pokemon. This did become 2 when the Mega Heracross disposed of the opposing Tornadus-Therian with a Rock Blast. Surprisingly, bro fist went to Ferrothorn as his follow-up, but this actually makes a lot of sense if you think about it. The Ferrothorn is able to force Sacri' into a very awkward position between defense drops and Iron Barbs damage. Perhaps this is why Sacri' went to his Serperior on that turn. However, the Grass snake was meant with a sandy foe as Tyranitar also pivoted in. Sacri' fired off a final Glare on the Tyranitar and then Mega Heracross was brought in, left to try and take out the last three members of bro fist's team. With Sand being up, Excadrill being in tact, and its Z move not yet being used, this proved to be a futile effort as a Corkscrew Crash took it out, giving bro fist a close 2-0 victory and bringing his record up to 2-1.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Some more highlights from last week:

Sabella vs Empo

Looking at team preview Empo went back to a more offensively oriented team after bringing Mega Latias Balance last week with big threats like Mega Mawile and Greninja backed up by Heatran and Tapu Bulu, a timeless combination that still manages to pop up once or twice every week. Zapdos is most likely a physically defensive set to patch some holes and provide Defog support seeing as both Spikes and T-Spikes are very annoying for the rest of the team. Scarf Landorus-T should round out the team by providing Speed control and momentum. Sabella on the other hand seems to have expected Empo to go back to his roots and brought a fairly standard Rain team with the same structure as BKC's team that was very popular during last year's OLT. Sabella's call payed off to an extent with Tapu Bulu being Empo's only real Water resist although he's gonna need to pressure it with Spikes and double switches if he wants Greninja to do work since the rest of Sabella's defensive backbone is more than capable of handling Torn-T, Swampert and Magearna.

Sabella opts to lead with his Greninja against Empo's Mawile and decides to use this as an opportunity to switch straight into his Ferrothorn to start setting up Spikes. Empo is forced out once again from his Greninja into Zapdos and clears the Spike with Defog as Swampert comes in. Sabella gets up his rocks now on the Tapu Bulu switch and goes into Torn-T on a Heatran double that would allow Empo to get his rocks up as well if it wasn't for Sabella's Torn packing Taunt. U-turn from Torn finally brings Pelipper in and it immediately U-turns back into Torn as Tapu Bulu comes in to check it. Sabella uses U-turn yet again on the incoming Zapdos but decides to go into his Swampert, a rather odd choice that backfires right after when Zapdos eats the Ice Punch comfortably and paralyzes Pert with Static. After being frozen for 1 turn, Empo's Zapdos thaws and gets rid of the hazards just for Sabella to set them up once again on his switch to Tapu Bulu. Sabella saves his Swampert while Empo goes right back into Zapdos and Defogs the rocks away. After a short series of turns Empo manages to get his Lando in on Sabella's attempt to get his rocks back up and U-turns on Torn to bring Mawile into the field. Mawile does a decent amount to Magearna with a resisted Play Rough and gives Empo the opportunity to finally bring Heatran in safely and get his rocks up on a Thunderbolt. Sabella takes this as an opportunity to bring back Pelipper and pivot into his Ferrothorn on Greninja to start pressuring the Tapu Bulu with Spikes. First he uses Leech Seed on Greninja to scout for Empo's next move but he reveals to be Battle Bond and a layer of Spikes goes up. Expecting Sabella to wanna double on a choice locked Gren Empo blows his Z-Move but Sabella stays in to start Spiking up. Zapdos comes in next on a well timed Leech Seed that makes Empo double into his Lando on a second layer of Spikes. Through a very nice series of plays Empo gets his Mawile back in on a switch into Torn from Sabella and picks off the Magearna with Plau Rough. Greninja comes in to revenge kill it and Sabella uses Surf on the Tapu Bulu switch. While Spikes are very crippling for Bulu, the combination of Grassy Terrain, Leftovers, Protect and Horn Leech allows it to get back to a decent range of HP and go into Landorus on a U-turn to Pelipper. Likely not expecting Empo to Stone Edge an incoming Ferrothorn or Swampert, Sabella opts to stay in and Pelipper goes down to Edge. Swampert comes in next and Empo sacks Heatran to bring in Ash Gren safely. Ferrothorn is the immediate switch-in for Gren and Empo clicks the safe Hydro Pump to discourage any double switches as Zapdos comes back in and clears the hazards on both sides. Swampert comes back in but a critical paralysis saves Zapdos and allows it to beat Swampert 1 on 1. Left at a very low amount of HP Sabella preserves Swampert until Empo uses SD with his Mawile on a forced switch and picks it off. Greninja comes back in to revenge kill Mawile and its Surf is met once again with a Tapu Bulu switch. This allows Sabella to get a kill with Torn but lets Mawile in again. He sacks it to a Play Rough wich prompts Sabella to send out Gren again but this time it reveals Ice Beam on the Tapu Bulu switch. Unfortunately for him it is no longer in range of a Specs Ice Beam and lives with enough HP to take a Surf after Protect. Empo preserves his Surf switch-in and throws out Zapdos to bring Mawile back in. Expecting a Sucker Punch Sabella goes into his Ferrothorn but Empo uses Swords Dance to end the game with Mawile killing both of his last remaining Pokemon, thus continuing his undefeated streak moving into Week 4.

Week 3 thoughts:
  • We saw plenty of sand this week, between the sheer power of Mega Garchomp under a Sandstorm, and the blistering speed Excadrill achieves I think this is a solid playstyle and I'm glad to see it getting some recognition. Tyranitar got a whopping 30% usage this week, whereas all Garchomps this week were holding a Garchompite if I recall correctly. A 15% usage from Excadrill is nothing to scoff at either and we even saw a Hippowdon getting used once. This playstyle also has a layer of versatility too though, despite its linear appearance. Players may opt for just the core of Sand setter plus Excadrill (as bro fist and 1 True Lycan did), or just the raw power of Mega Garchomp allied with a Sand setter (as per Charmflash's team), or even have the entire sand trio on a single team (Kickasser).
  • Ferrothorn is in a solid spot after Zygarde's departure and found itself on a fourth of teams this week, and gathering a sizable 15% usage throughout the first three weeks. This goes to show how instrumental it can be to certain Balance teams, providing a check to several annoyances including Ash-Greninja and Magearna lacking Fighting-type coverage, and providing Spikes is also equally as important.
  • Lastly there's Toxapex. Toxapex's always been a prime choice throughout all of gen 7, and this week it got a whopping 45% usage showing how it, too, can be a strong link to several teams, be it the aforementioned Sand structures or even some fatter stuff, doesn't matter, Toxapex just fits in, naturally. Even when considering how one week is a small sample size, Toxapex has 35% usage throughout these first three weeks, and for a good reason.

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
[Week 4 USM OU]
- click for replay (Spotify Sessions = Sabella)

Here we have a game between Sabella and Mana for Week 3 of SPL. Looking at the teams, Sabella seems to be using a bulky offense with interesting threats such as Victini and Mamoswine. On the other side, Mana is using a punishing balanced structure that appears to take advantage of Azumarill, which is not often seen in SM OU. From team preview, this battle seems quite intriguing seeing as there are a number of fringe-viable threats that could get their chance to shine. From a glance, the match-up seems slightly favorable for Sabella, but it can get much better or a bit worse depending on his Magearna set of course. Aside from Magearna, he has Mamoswine, which posts a consistent threat to Mana's team. However, Zapdos and Azumarill from Mana have potential to do well in the long haul, too, so it is far from impossible for Mana.

The game starts with a bang -- both Ice types lead and the Weavile comes just short of killing Mamoswine, who takes out the Weavile with Earthquake in return, but kills itself with Life Orb recoil in the process of doing so. Following that, ironically enough, both Ground types come on out and trade Toxics. Afterwards, Sabella sets up Stealth Rock on a Zapdos, which is ultimately met with a follow-up Toxic on a Defog. Zapdos reveals that it is Heat Wave, chipping the Victini, so the Landorus-Therian of Sabella's comes back in promptly to set Stealth Rock back up. This was a smart play as it also covered the option of Mana going back to Rocky Helmet Garchomp, which would pose a big threat to Victini's longevity. However, Mana staying in with Zapdos was also a wise risk, even if it did not gain him much at the time, as he foresaw Sabella's hesitance to attack with Victini at that point.

From there, Landorus-Therian sets Stealth Rock up once more, but he is met with a timely Alakazam pivot. Alakazam promptly mega evolves and fires off a strong Psychic into Scarf Victini. Once again resorting for the middleground, Mana goes to Zapdo on the Victini's U-turn, finding himself staring down a Kartana follow-up from there. Kartana quickly reveals itself to be Choice Banded as it goes for Knock Off and does over half to Ferrothorn, which is ridiculously strong for a STABless Knock Off. From there, the Ferrothorn forces in the Landorus-Therian, who essentially trades its life for Ferrothorn's life and two layers of Spikes. Tapu Fini comes in for Sabella while Garchomp does for Mana, giving Sabella immediate tempo. He fires off a Moonblast, making sure nothing could come in safely, and does a bit under half to the Mega Alakazam switch-in. Tapu Fini then get to Defog away the Spikes on a Recover. Psychic then lands a drop on a Tapu Fini that traded attacks with it; the Tapu Fini was then forced out into Victini, who fell to a timely Shadow Ball predict, which was a great read from Mana. However, this was short lived as the Magearna came in, dodged a Focus Blast, and cleaned up the game with Shift Gear into Gigavolt Havoc into Flash Cannon/Thunderbolt sweeping the remaining Pokemon on Mana's team.

Sadly, that's all I have in terms of write-ups this week as the next best game was probably blunder vs cdumas (a lot of the other games this week were sadly :pikuh:). That game actually was really exciting throughout, but I think the best place to look for analysis and insight on that game would be blunder's upload here. He gives some pretty in-depth thoughts and I personally enjoyed listening despite already knowing the outcome.

I don't want to leave you guys entirely empty-handed beyond this, however, and I have been enjoying narrating more and more myself lately, so here are all of the SM OU uploads I have from the first 4 weeks of SPL:
Leru vs Talah, Tricking vs Kickasser, Talah vs Eternal Spirit, BHARATH_THEBEST vs Sacri', Mana vs Sacri', imsosorrylol vs Tricking, BHARATH_THEBEST vs Kickasser, Cdumas vs Lopunny Kicks, and ABR vs Charmflash.

Week 4 Stats
Code:
+ ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| Rank | Pokemon            | Use  | Usage % |  Win %  |
| 1    | Landorus-Therian   |   12 |  60.00% |  58.33% |
| 2    | Greninja           |   10 |  50.00% |  40.00% |
| 3    | Ferrothorn         |    7 |  35.00% |  28.57% |
| 4    | Heatran            |    6 |  30.00% |  50.00% |
| 4    | Magearna           |    6 |  30.00% |  50.00% |
| 6    | Kartana            |    5 |  25.00% |  80.00% |
| 6    | Tapu Fini          |    5 |  25.00% |  60.00% |
| 6    | Tornadus-Therian   |    5 |  25.00% |  40.00% |
| 6    | Garchomp           |    5 |  25.00% |  40.00% |
| 6    | Toxapex            |    5 |  25.00% |  20.00% |
| 11   | Mawile             |    3 |  15.00% | 100.00% |
| 11   | Tapu Koko          |    3 |  15.00% | 100.00% |
| 11   | Latios             |    3 |  15.00% |   0.00% |
| 14   | Rotom-Wash         |    2 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 14   | Tyranitar          |    2 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 14   | Volcarona          |    2 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 14   | Tapu Bulu          |    2 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 14   | Celesteela         |    2 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 14   | Medicham           |    2 |  10.00% |  50.00% |
| 14   | Tapu Lele          |    2 |  10.00% |  50.00% |
| 14   | Gliscor            |    2 |  10.00% |  50.00% |
| 14   | Swampert           |    2 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 14   | Pelipper           |    2 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 14   | Zapdos             |    2 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 14   | Weavile            |    2 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 14   | Alakazam           |    2 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 27   | Diancie            |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Jirachi            |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Tangrowth          |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Sableye            |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Pyukumuku          |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Chansey            |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Victini            |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Mamoswine          |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Glalie             |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Hawlucha           |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Clefable           |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 27   | Magnezone          |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 27   | Slowbro            |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 27   | Charizard          |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 27   | Excadrill          |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 27   | Nihilego           |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 27   | Scizor             |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 27   | Suicune            |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 27   | Azumarill          |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00%
Week 5 Stats
Code:
| 1    | Landorus-Therian   |   13 |  65.00% |  61.54% |
| 2    | Heatran            |   10 |  50.00% |  60.00% |
| 3    | Tapu Lele          |    6 |  30.00% |  50.00% |
| 3    | Greninja           |    6 |  30.00% |  33.33% |
| 5    | Tyranitar          |    5 |  25.00% |  80.00% |
| 5    | Toxapex            |    5 |  25.00% |  60.00% |
| 5    | Tornadus-Therian   |    5 |  25.00% |  40.00% |
| 5    | Magearna           |    5 |  25.00% |  40.00% |
| 5    | Tapu Bulu          |    5 |  25.00% |  40.00% |
| 5    | Ferrothorn         |    5 |  25.00% |  20.00% |
| 11   | Kartana            |    3 |  15.00% |  66.67% |
| 11   | Alakazam           |    3 |  15.00% |  66.67% |
| 11   | Rotom-Wash         |    3 |  15.00% |  66.67% |
| 11   | Latias             |    3 |  15.00% |  33.33% |
| 11   | Zapdos             |    3 |  15.00% |  33.33% |
| 11   | Garchomp           |    3 |  15.00% |   0.00% |
| 17   | Reuniclus          |    2 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 17   | Tangrowth          |    2 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 17   | Diancie            |    2 |  10.00% |  50.00% |
| 17   | Weavile            |    2 |  10.00% |  50.00% |
| 17   | Tapu Fini          |    2 |  10.00% |  50.00% |
| 17   | Kyurem             |    2 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 23   | Latios             |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 23   | Volcarona          |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 23   | Magnezone          |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 23   | Medicham           |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 23   | Hippowdon          |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 23   | Charizard          |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 23   | Mimikyu            |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 23   | Sharpedo           |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 23   | Celesteela         |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 23   | Gallade            |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 23   | Jirachi            |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 23   | Kyurem-Black       |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 23   | Mawile             |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 23   | Tapu Koko          |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 23   | Swampert           |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 23   | Kingdra            |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 23   | Pelipper           |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 23   | Clefable           |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 23   | Excadrill          |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 23   | Hawlucha           |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 23   | Gyarados           |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 23   | Serperior          |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 23   | Amoonguss          |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 23   | Scizor             |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 23   | Alomomola          |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
Week 6 Stats
Code:
| 1    | Landorus-Therian   |    9 |  45.00% |  44.44% |
| 1    | Magearna           |    9 |  45.00% |  44.44% |
| 3    | Greninja           |    8 |  40.00% |  37.50% |
| 4    | Rotom-Wash         |    5 |  25.00% |  60.00% |
| 4    | Tornadus-Therian   |    5 |  25.00% |  60.00% |
| 4    | Toxapex            |    5 |  25.00% |  40.00% |
| 7    | Scizor             |    4 |  20.00% | 100.00% |
| 7    | Kartana            |    4 |  20.00% |  75.00% |
| 7    | Tapu Fini          |    4 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 7    | Zapdos             |    4 |  20.00% |  25.00% |
| 7    | Jirachi            |    4 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 7    | Garchomp           |    4 |  20.00% |   0.00% |
| 13   | Tapu Lele          |    3 |  15.00% |  66.67% |
| 13   | Excadrill          |    3 |  15.00% |  66.67% |
| 13   | Ferrothorn         |    3 |  15.00% |  33.33% |
| 13   | Latias             |    3 |  15.00% |  33.33% |
| 17   | Reuniclus          |    2 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 17   | Victini            |    2 |  10.00% | 100.00% |
| 17   | Medicham           |    2 |  10.00% |  50.00% |
| 17   | Serperior          |    2 |  10.00% |  50.00% |
| 17   | Tapu Bulu          |    2 |  10.00% |  50.00% |
| 17   | Pelipper           |    2 |  10.00% |  50.00% |
| 17   | Swampert           |    2 |  10.00% |  50.00% |
| 17   | Mimikyu            |    2 |  10.00% |  50.00% |
| 17   | Tyranitar          |    2 |  10.00% |  50.00% |
| 17   | Mawile             |    2 |  10.00% |   0.00% |
| 27   | Clefable           |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Heatran            |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Gastrodon          |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Tapu Koko          |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Kyurem             |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Gliscor            |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Ditto              |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Hippowdon          |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Gyarados           |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Celesteela         |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Volcarona          |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Magnezone          |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Dragonite          |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Latios             |    1 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 27   | Gallade            |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 27   | Hydreigon          |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 27   | Heracross          |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 27   | Alakazam           |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 27   | Azumarill          |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 27   | Mamoswine          |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 27   | Tangrowth          |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 27   | Amoonguss          |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |
| 27   | Charizard          |    1 |   5.00% |   0.00% |

This thread has been dead for some time so hopefully this post can revive it. Since the usage stats have finally been updated, I thought it would be cool to talk about what has been trending and what has been falling off in the metagame lately.
  • Landorus-T is #1 in usage and has been for the entire season so far, except for week 1. Choice Scarf is still as common as ever, but other variants such as Z-Move and Defensive Landorus-T have also been on the spotlight lately. Rockium Z / Flyinium Z + Gravity Lando are pretty anti-meta as they can blow through all of the common defensive structures running around, with Tangrowth being on the decline. Defensive Lando with Iapapa Berry has also been used to a lesser extent on more offensive, volt-turn oriented teams which have been increasingly common.
  • After Zygarde's departure from the tier, Electric-types have become a lot stronger. The fact that there are no good Electric immunities in the tier and that Ferrothorn and Tapu Bulu have replaced sturdier Gras-types like Tangrowth has allowed for sets like Offensive Rotom-W, Specs Koko, and Volt Switch Zapdos to shine more. A lot of teams have started taking advantage of that trend by going with a more offensive, momentum-based route.
  • Tapu Fini has been really common lately, cumulating 11 uses over the past 3 weeks, which is more than threats like Tapu Bulu. It's one of the most consistent defogger in the tier, completely shutting down Heatran + Ash-Gren cores, and taking advantage of passive foes like Toxapex. It was already pretty good in the Zygarde meta, but Zygarde's ban and the trends that followed it only solidified its niche in the tier.
  • Tapu Lele is another pokemon that has been trending, notably getting the same usage as Greninja in week 5. Choice Specs and Offensive Z-Move Lele are especially good right now, as Celesteela has seen very low usage and a lot of teams rely on things like Heatran, Ferrothorn, and AV Magearna as their Psychic resist, and all three can be overwhelmed by Lele.
--
  • Celesteela, on the other hand, has had really low usage over the past 3 weeks of SPL, cumulating a total of 3 uses within that period. It has dropped in favor of more proative Steel-types like Ferrothorn, Heatran, Jirachi and AV Magearna, which can provide more role compression and are less easily taken advantage of. Overall, Celesteela is still pretty good at checking M-Alakazam, Lele, and such. However, this offensive metagame tends to favor other Steel-type with more offensive presence / role compression, which is reflected by its low usage.
  • Balance as a whole has not been amazing as of late, barely seeing any usage outside of these three games. Although I do not believe that they have gotten any worse, the metagame trends have simply been favoring more offensive teams.
I'm really enjoying watching this SPL overall and am happy to see that the metagame has been pretty diverse so far. Hoping for some good games this week!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)