Smogon Pokemon Card Series

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello folks, I decided I would try something a little bit different from your standard fare. I'll be working for a while on a Smogon TCG Card series for your enjoyment. It's a humorist take on some members of our community, myself naturally included.

I already have ideas for several cards, but they take a few hours to make each. I only have 1 created so far, as a sort of sample. If you like what you see, give me a few ideas. Examples include your favorite pokemon, personality traits, etc.

Here's a few things for starters:

Whenever you make a fake card, always give credit to the people who linked you the resources. Without further adieu:

Blanks:

Blanks for Lv. X: T500Wracko at PokeCommunity
Blanks for other cards: CascadeGonPory
Symbols from Shaggy Typhlosion at PokeCommunity

Photos:
Deck’s Manectric Lv.X: Serebii.net screen capture.
jrrrrlax: Plushie from toy Store Inc. + Generic Rainbow icon.
Jrrrrlax Lv.X: ABM Enterprises Rainbow background, Pokemon Snorlax Art.
Jrrrr pic pulled from Firebot.

For those unfamiliar:
C = Colorless
D = Darkness
F = Fighting
G = Grass
L = Lightning
M = Metal
P = Psychic
R = Red (Fire)
W = Water

A few notes on the cards: I was unable to reproduce all the fonts correctly, and my spacing may be a bit off. I will try to improve as I go along, but it's a very imprecise science. Enjoy.

I'll be editing in cards as they are completed below. Here's the teaser card:

Here is the first set of 12 cards in text format, to give you an idea of where this is going:

jrrrrlax

Rare, Basic HP: 110
Type: Colorless
Weak: Fx2
Resist: P-20
Retreat: 4

Attack 1: Taste The Rainbow
Cost: [.](None)
Damage: 20
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, the effect of special energy cards attached to your pokemon changes to the following: provides 1 energy corresponding to the type of each of your pokemon in play, up to 4 energy.

Attack 2: PUSH Coalition
Cost: CCC
Damage: 20X
Effect: Does 20 damage times the difference in jrrrrlax and the Defending Pokemon's Retreat Cost.

jrrrrlax Lx. X

Level-Up from jrrrrlax
Rare-Holo, Level-Up HP: 150
Type: Colorless
Weak: Fx2 (Fighting)
Resist: P-20 (Psychic)
Retreat: 5

Poke-Body: Bear
Effect: If jrrrrlax Lv.X is your Active Pokemon, the opponent cannot remove your Stadium from play.

Attack 1: Rollback
Cost: CC
Damage: 50
Effect: After dealing damage, you may switch jrrrrlax Lv.X with one of your Benched pokemon.

jrrrrizard
Rare, Basic HP: 90
Type: Fire
Weakness: Wx2 (Water)
Resistance: F-20 (Fighting)
Retreat: 1

Poke-Body: Flaming
Effect: You may attach an additional fire energy for each pokemon with the "Flaming" Pokebody (other than jrrrrizard)

Attack 1: Fire Streak
Cost: RC
Damage: 40
Effect: Choose 1 of your opponent's benched pokemon. This attack deals 20 damage to that pokemon.

Attack 2: Flare Up
Cost: RRRC
Damage: 30+
Effect: Does 30 damage plus 30 more damage for each fire energy attached to any of your pokemon this turn.

jrrrrizard Lv. X
Level-Up from jrrrrizard
Rare-Holo, Level-Up HP: 120
Type: Fire
Weakness: Wx2 (Water)
Resistance: F-20 (Fighting)
Retreat: 0

Poke-Power: Return Fire
Effect: As often as you like during your turn, you may return a Fire energy from your pokemon to your hand. Remove 1 damage counter from that pokemon if you do.

Attack 1: Firewall
Cost: RRC
Damage: 60
Effect: The Defending pokemon is now burned, and cannot retreat next turn.

jrrrrachi
Uncommon, Basic HP: 70
Type: Metal
Weakness: Rx2
Resistance: G-20

Attack 1: Single Wish
Cost: [.] (None)
Damage: None
Effect: Search your deck for any single card. Show it to your opponent and put it in your hand.

Attack 2: U-turn
Cost: M
Effect: Switch jrrrrachi with one of your Benched pokemon.

jrrrrafarig
Type: Psychic
Weakness: None
Resistance: None

Poke-Body: Two Heads
If jrrrrafarig is your Active Pokemon, once during your turn you may draw a card from the bottom of your deck.

Attack 1: Partners:
Effect: Search your deck for any 2 Basic pokemon and put them on your bench.

Attack 2: Crunch
Cost: P
Damage: 20+
Effect: Does 20 Damage + 40 more damage if the the Defending Pokemon is weak to Darkness.

Deck's Octillery
Rare, Basic HP: 80
Type:Water
Weakness: Lx2
Retreat: 2

Attack 1: Precision Strike
Cost: C
Effect: If Deck's Octillery has an energy attached that corresponds to an opponent's weakness, this attack does 20 damage plus 20 more damage, and applies weakness.

Attack 2: Flamethrower
Damage: 70
Effect: Discard a Fire Energy attached to Deck's Octillery.

Deck's Houndoom
Type: Darkness
Weak: Fx2
Resistance: P-20

Poke-Body: Flaming
Effect: You may attach an additional Fire energy for each pokemon with the "Flaming" Pokebody (other than Deck's Houndoom)

Attack 1: Flamethrower
Cost: RC
Damage: 50
Effect: Discard a Fire energy attached to Deck's Houndoom.

Attack 2: Black Fire
Cost: DRC
Damage: 40+
Effect: Deals 40 damage plus 20 more damage for each Darkness Energy and 10 more Damage for each Fire Energy attached to Deck's Houndoom (not used to pay for this attack's cost).

Deck's Manectric
Type: Lightning
Weakness: Fx2
Resistance: M-20

Attack 1: Blitz
Cost: L
Damage: 60-
Effect: Does 60 damage minus 10 damage for each pokemon on your opponent's Bench.

Damage: 70
Effect: Discard a Fire energy from Deck's Manectric

Deck's Manectric Lv. X

Level-Up from Deck's Manectric
Rare-Holo, Level-Up HP: 110
Type: Lightning
Weakness: Fx2
Resistance: M-20

Poke-Power: Double Down
Effect: Once during your turn, when you Level Up your active Deck's Manectric from your hand, choose 1 of your opponent's benched pokemon and all cards attached to it and return it to your opponent's hand. Until the end of your turn, Blitz's Base power is 120. At the end of your turn, Deck's Manectric takes damage equal to the current Defending Pokemon's remaining HP.

Attack 1: Chained Charges:
Cost: LC
Damage: 40
Effect: Does 10 damage to each of your opponent's Benched pokemon.

Deck's Solrock:
Type: Psychic
Weakness: Gx2

Poke-Power: Sol Flame
Effect: If you have Jumps' Lunatone is in play, you may search your deck for a Fire energy and attach it to any of your pokemon.

Attack 1: Sol Search
Effect: Shuffle your hand into your deck and draw 6 new cards.

Damage: 60
Discard a Fire energy attached to Deck's Solrock

Deck's Primeape
Uncommon, Basic HP: 80
Type: Fighting
Weakness: Px2

Attack 1: Raid
Cost: C
Effect: Choose a Supporter in your opponent's discard pile as an additional effect of this attack. Your opponent shuffles that Supporter back into their deck.

Attack 2: Low Kick
Cost: F
Effect: Does 20 Damage plus 20 more damage for each C in the Defending Pokemon's Retreat Cost.

Attack 3: Overheat
Cost: RRRC
Damage: 100
Effect: Overheat's Base Power is 50 until the end of your next turn.

As far as requests:

Please fill out this form:

Name:
Desired Pokemon:
Personality and/or Battling style:

(I try to make attacks that fit the users style and quirks, as well as the pokemon's characteristics)

What can I use as a trainer pic:

(I refuse to use pokemon as representations, or any official pokemon character. Either an avatar, a non-pokemon character associated with your handle, or a smogon photo album, or a small sketch are preferable.)

If you are an artist and want to do the artwork for your own card, the space for the card photo is 313x214 pixels, including background.

oh my god I know I'm supposed to hate you and stuff but sometimes I just love you deck because this is fucking brilliant

that said can you make some cards that aren't deck's or jrrrr's like vineon's leafeon etc.

edit: also when you have a full set can we implement some sort of battling system I want to use these

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Anxious to see how you represent us peeps at CaP. (pssst, someone with acronyms for a screenname happens to be fond of Mamoswine)

Are you encouraging us to hop in too and make some?

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
oh my god I know I'm supposed to hate you and stuff but sometimes I just love you deck because this is fucking brilliant

that said can you make some cards that aren't deck's or jrrrr's like vineon's leafeon etc.

edit: also when you have a full set can we implement some sort of battling system I want to use these
I just have jrrrr's and Deck Knight's because I needed a starting point (12 cards = 48+ hours of work), and thought it would be funny if these particular cards had great synergy, plus represented some quirks of their users.

The Redshark program at Pokebeach does allow for Custom Cards, but says they can't be used for online play. I'm not sure this holds true provided everyone has a copy of the card's text. After all, they do have serial updates for the next set, although that may be a function of some other programming list.

KoA said:
Are you encouraging us to hop in too and make some?
Provided you want to spend hours of your time downloading blanks from WinZip files, working with layers in backgrounds, and making an attempt not to be completely "broken" per se, have at it. I'd like to devote 4-6 cards to each user I have a decent relationship and understanding with.

For the Eevee's, I might just go with Jump's Espeon and Vineon's Leafeon now. Haven't a clue who will get the other 5 though.

eric's espeon.

the 's in this case isn't for possession, but rather to be a conjunction for eric is espeon!

Deck Knight

Update:

I realized the blanks I had were mismatched, so I really only got to work on one card this weekend. I've since downloaded the consistent materials and should be able to churn out cards more effectively. Foe jrrrr's pic, I stole it from that Firebot spoof, which is why there is some blue pixels on jrrrr's left cheek.

Here's the second installment: jrrrrlax Lv. X! (Now with jrrrrlax)

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Yes? No? Maybe?

I can't do the text so I just picked a Japanese one :D

Deck Knight

Lest you think I've been doing nothing, I have been working quite hard.

Major shoutouts for the following collection:

Wyverii and KoA. They did the art for their own cards, and it was amazing. Thank you for spending some of your time to help me with this little project, it is greatly appreciated.
Wyverii also supplied her trainer pic.

The CAP Server for helping me out in discussion.

Most of the photos are Stock Art taken from the internet or random photos pulled through google search. I've also ripped a few avatars here and there, and Smogon album pics.

Gameplay Features:

What I wanted to do was make this a series that works together in a deck together. I thus wanted to give them all fairly powerful bodies without breaking them. Individually the cards are fairly mediocre, but combined they support each other and become quite versatile.

The other thing is I wanted these to be able to use the SP engine, but thought 6 parameter boosters at once would be overwhelming. (4 Flareon, a Jolteon, and a Glaceon would be a brutal combination.) I believe I solved this adequately by making them SP Evolutions and giving the basic an "evolve as soon as played" Poke-Body. This lets them play as SP Pokemon.

The "SP Engine":

Energy Gain Tool: Attacks cost C less energy (e.g. LC is now L.)
SP Energy: Provides 1 of every energy, but only 1 energy at a time.
SP Radar Trainer: Search deck for one SP Pokemon.
Poketurn: Return SP Pokemon and all cards attached to it to hand.
Power Spray: Can cancel an opponent's power if you have three SP pokemon in play.

The Cards: (in brief)

Wild Eevee:

Wild Eevee's first attack lets you load your bench with the other Wild Eevee in your deck, so you can essentially play the evolution SP pokemon as you please. The other attack is a throwaway basically, but it needs some means of damage.

AL's Flareon:

Al_Alchemist was playing NU before NU was officially created. So I gave him a mighty NU pokemon of the time, Flareon. Flareon has a powerful body, especially because it adds damage before applying weakness and resistance, meaning +20 damage if you can hit an x2 weakness. With so many types, this makes the body invaluable. Flareon also has a useful attack with an additional flip side effect. When Burned, the opponent flips a coin inbetween rounds and if they get tails, receive 20 damage.

Wish seemed to round it out nicely, being one of Flareon's better moves in NU and providing a form of delayed healing, which itself can be useful.

Plus' Jolteon:

Arguably has the best Poke-Body of them all, being able to cut each one's attacks from fairly expensive for the damage to extremely efficient. It was incidental that both of Plus' Jolteon's attacks are affixed with minus. Either way it has the lowest single target damage potential and can actually have its effects capitalized on by opponents, especially Jump's Espeons Energy Jump. You really need two Jolteon or to attach an Energy Gain to get the most out of the second attack, which is effectively 30 damage to all the opponent's pokemon (or 20 with two energies).

Wyv's Vaporeon:

Initially the bulkiest card, with an effective 110 HP thanks to the Poke-body. It has a higher retreat cost in exchange and early game it has low damage potential. Against decks that burn through lots of energy however, and it can become quite a powerhouse.

Jump's Espeon:

This provides speed in a different way, by essentially giving all the Eeveelutions free retreat except Vaporeon. You thus won't have to discard energy when retreating. It's attacks are fairly powerful, the first can give it immunity to damage and effects next turn, while the second can disrupt your enemy's energy placement and deal decent damage. Overall it can be pretty disruptive and give you crucial turns, since it's generally much harder to force out an opponent's active (and end in a favorable position) than it is to switch out your own. Even with Poke-turn, an opponent usually has a finite energy supply and redirecting it to benchsitters can be worthwhile. There are many ways to get energy back from the discard pile or the deck, but few to actually move them around once they are in play.

Mr.E's Umbreon:

Higher bulk, the body, and the ability to ignore effects makes Mr.E's card quite powerful. Although the first attack can snipe, it also ignores weakness and thus it needs the full two (or three) dark energies to take advantage of its typing. An important note is it lowers damage after applying weakness and resistance, meaning it will only ever block 10 damage.

Beef's Leafeon:

The Poke-Body is the most situational of them all, but is balanced by the fact it prevents effects from both attacks and Poke-powers.

Leafeon can also search out other Eeveelutions with its primary attack (which doesn't have a colored cost, meaning two Jolteons or one Jolteon and an Energy Gain mean you can do 50-70 damage for no energy, and consistently replenish your supply of Eeveelutions if you can get a Wild Eevee on the Bench. The second attack requires colored energy but provides two nasty status effects and does decent damage. Poison effectively adds 10 damage to any attack because it occurs between rounds, and Confusion is a nasty status that usually prompts retreat because there's a 50% chance they will get tails on their attack and take 20 more damage.

KoA's Glaceon:

Because Vaporeon and Glaceon have the same type, I wanted to give compelling reasons to use one over the other, or ideally both at once. Removing x2 weakness is a huge deal, especially combined with Vaporeon's HP boosting body and Umbreon's damage reducing body. Glaceon has more offensive power off the bat and its attacks also have disruptive effects.

Overall strategy:

These cards are designed to mix and match. You can go offensive or defensive, or create a hybrid deck that changes as match conditions change.

A Defensive core might run something like Leafeon/Vaporeon/Glaceon/Umbreon, or Glaceon/Vaporeon/Umbreon x2.

Offensive builds might run Flareon x2/Espeon/Jolteon, or Leafeon/Flareon x2/Jolteon.

Hybrid builds might run Jolteon/Glaceon/Umbreon/Vaporeon, or Flareon/Jolteon/Espeon/Glaceon.

I've kept you waiting long enough. Here they are:

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
lol DecK these all look great! I would totally put them in my deck! (punny!?)

Can't wait to see how the rest of your series shapes out.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
eric the espeon: I really want to post demanding an espeon card.
eric the espeon: :(
Wyverii: Hahaha, it's practically your right.
eric the espeon: it is....
Wyverii: Especially since that would be the first thing everybody would think with eeveelution themed cards.
Deck, how could you? darkie even suggested it!

cool cards though, like beef's second attack particularly.

Deck Knight

Deck, how could you? darkie even suggested it!

cool cards though, like beef's second attack particularly.
Same reason I'm not doing Cyzir's Scizor or Magmortarfied: sounds tacky as hell. I'm not obligated to do a card just because someone's handle happens to be very pokemon-esque.

Besides, I had Jump set out from the beginning with a clear concept, and knew I could get a quality trainer pic from the album. Getting a trainer pic that fits is the worst part because a lot of people change avatars and don't have photos in the album or an easily recognizable non-pokemon character. Nothing personal.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is very nice, especially Plus's Jolteon. I've never really played the Pokemon card game, but it looks pretty legit!

Deck Knight

Cyzir_visheen (now \o/ for some reason) had requested a Syclant.

Longtime CAP Members should immediately recognize the humor in this card.

Like Syclant, it can hit fast and hard under the right conditions, but is pretty frail overall. It's important to note the attack says basic Energy cards, meaning you can't just throw on an SP energy and get all 3 effects.

Cyzir_Visheen supplied Syclant's Art, which I touched up a bit because I had to find the background myself. There's only so much white pixelation you can peg as "ice crystals."

For the trainer pic, I saw Cyzir's sketch of a snail with a laser and deemed it too funny not to use. When I C+P'd it into Paint Shop Pro the background was back, so I think I lost the eyebrows. I had to scale it down anyway, and I doubt people will notice based on placement.

Major props Cyzir, I hope you like.

Cyzir_visheen (now \o/ for some reason) had requested a Syclant.
You missed it? How could you.

Anyway, you have pretty awesome Pokemon Cards here. I've never been into them, so I don't know how to play; though I'd start if thses cards were real. And Syclant needs Focus Blast. -_-

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Focus blast is great, the art is great, and the card is great, but why the fuck is Syclant a grass type ?!_!?
it's to represent its bug typing. In the card game, bug and grass get the same energy type and color. Same goes for stuff like ice/water, and ghost/psychic.

Deck Knight

it's to represent its bug typing. In the card game, bug and grass get the same energy type and color. Same goes for stuff like ice/water, and ghost/psychic.
A full breakdown for everyone:

Colorless: Normal and Dragon
Darkness: Dark
Fire(R): Fire
Fighting: Rock, Ground, and Fighting
Grass: Grass and Bug, (Poison in ages passed)
Lightning: Electric
Metal: Steel
Psychic: Ghost, Psychic (Poison in more recent sets)
Water: Water and Ice

Flying is a sub-type and generally represented if a card has an L weakness and/or an F resistance where it usually has a different weakness/resistance.

As far as requests:

Please fill out this form:

Name:
Desired Pokemon:
Personality and/or Battling style:

(I try to make attacks that fit the users style and quirks, as well as the pokemon's characteristics)

What can I use as a trainer pic:

(I refuse to use pokemon as representations, or any official pokemon character. Either an avatar, a non-pokemon character associated with your handle, or a smogon photo album, or a small sketch are preferable.)

If you are an artist and want to do the artwork for your own card, the space for the card photo is 313x214 pixels, including background.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)