Smeargle's Studio's SmogFight!

blce

can you see me?
jomk.png

some say that stall is a cuckold's playstyle, but who would be upset at how happy these mons are when it's raining leftovers?

i wanted to draw some more for this one but i don't have time this weekend because of school, and this'll be my last drawing for smogfight.
it's been a fun one, team a&c! it was a pleasure and honour being on this team - i learned a lot from everyone and i'm sorry i wasn't able to draw as often as i wanted to. thank you to all our lovely hosts and judges as well for all their hard work hosting this fun event!! everyone that participated has done so well and i’m in awe at all the amazing artists here in this community.
thanks for carrying me, Striker151 Wet Kisser and thank you to Kiwi PokeArt2004♥ StitChuu and my team for all their help and feedback! :heart:

Last edited:

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
Hi hihihihi, after tallying all the points, we've come to the conclusion that the winner is team A&C! Congrats to Wet Kisser, blce, and Striker151!!

1638166544367.png

(s/o kb for the incredible banner)

I know that this event wasn't really conducted super professionally, and for that I apologize. I'd love some feedback as to where SmogFight could be improved, both conceptually and in terms of its execution.

The main issues with this rendition of SmogFight imo:

-Timeliness: This is entirely my fault; I was way busier throughout November than I thought I would be, and that led to weeks running for way longer than they should've. I don't think this is an issue that'll be prevalent in later renditions of the event, but I just wanted to point it out either way.

-The Scoring Sheet: The scoring sheet was pretty imbalanced, to say the least. Some of you probably noticed this, but having a high number of Pokemon was a great way to basically guarantee insane point totals because of the way the sheet worked, and there was relatively little emphasis placed on the quality of the individual Pokemon pieces. This isn't reeeally ideal in my opinion, so the scoring sheet will probably have to go through quite a bit of reworking after this event to balance stuff out better

-Burnout: This was by far the biggest problem with the event in my opinion, and the one that probably requires the most conceptual reworking to fix. The drop in submissions after week 1 was exceedingly obvious, probably due to lowered interest. I have no idea how to remedy this and would love suggestions

Feel free to post feedback about how to solve the above problems alongside feedback about problems that I haven't realized yet. tysm :>

Last edited:

Albatross

Loosely Resembling Some Variety Of Bird
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributor
Congrats Team Arts and Crafts (: Apologies for not revenging any pieces lol. It's been a blast participating!

Anyways I don't know how to smoothly transition from congrats to feedback. I don't have much to say on the other two points because the first is something completely understandable and human, and the other is a huge lol, but anyways

-Burnout: This was by far the biggest problem with the event in my opinion, and the one that probably requires the most conceptual reworking to fix. The drop in submissions after week 1 was exceedingly obvious, probably due to lowered interest. I have no idea how to remedy this and would love suggestions
My own reasons for why I got burnt out,
- The Unbalanced Scoring System: Yeah this was a problem for inactivity too as well as just scoring (for me personally, at least). By week 2 Arts and Crafts had pulled so far ahead of the competition that it was obvious that they'd won before week 3 had even begun, and that gap just grew larger and larger over the remaining 2 weeks. Knowing this, then, what point is there in continuing to compete? The event was over by the end of week 2 so I just stopped caring and moved on to something else

- Small Teams: If you're the only one contributing to the event, your scores will suffer. If a team of three only has one person actively competing, then they're probably gonna become disinterested in the event. Having such small teams mean that tardiness is basically a death sentence unless you're willing to draw multiple high scoring pieces in one week. This wasn't an issue for me at the start, but by week 3 my team and I had all lost interest - even if I wanted to continue playing, I would've been at a huge disadvantage

- Lack of Transparency: This is about the scoring sheet again, but not the actual scoring itself. Rather, its about how nobody knew how their pieces were scored. Nobody knew how powerful drawing multiple Pokemon was, nobody knew if it was better to focus on shading or having neat lineart, nobody knew how objective or subjective the scoring was. So when one team scores 200 off three pieces and another scores 240, nobody knows why one team's pieces scored higher than the others. This, in my opinion, is a huge downfall. Spending hours on a piece only for it to score 70 points due to factors that you were not told about sucks. It makes the scoring system feel completely random and, imo, thats a huge demotivator. Why should I spend hours on a piece when I have no idea if it'll break 100 points?

To use an analogy: imagine playing a game of darts on a dart board with randomised points that aren't displayed anywhere, where the score is updated every four darts you throw. It would fucking suck. You'd have no idea where to aim to gain the highest amount of points, so when you get four bullseyes and only score 30 points you call bullshit and stop playing

This is a competition. I understand the desire to avoid the scoring system being abused. But a competition where you have no idea how to score high isn't a particularly fun one. Hell, if the scoring system had been publicly available from the start then someone could've noticed how unbalanced it was and pointed it out. You've claimed that the scoring system was rigid and explicit in how pieces were scored, but there's nothing to back that up. So it feels less like an objective competition and more like pieces are being scored completely randomly. Like the people participating are throwing darts at a randomised dart board, if you will

Unfortunately I don't any suggestions on how to fix this issue besides offering my own reasons for why I became burnt out. Just make the scoring system more balanced and be more transparent on how it works ig

Anyways the event was fun, it was rad seeing all the different drawings, and I look forward to the next Smogfight!

Yoooo congrats team AC!!!! You guys for sure deserve the win, haha :D

Okay so, I think the only problem, at least in my personal experience, was how the pieces were being scored. Seriously, it caught me completely off guard to find out how ludicrous the system was, everyone had to draw at least three pokemon to get a decent score. And I'm with Albatross when I say that how the teams were built let to a massive ratio of burnouts for everyone, I saw some competitors pratically carrying their teams on their backs, so fixing these first problems would be a huge improvement for the event, whenever it's hosted again

Anyways, I loved taking part on SmogFight, despite it's flaws, lol. I hope the next time it feels even better to join and draw with all the amazing artists that were here <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)