Slurpuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Pretty much finished except for the CM set, gotta try it out

Also I stole col49's nick for Belly Drum js n_n

Overview
########

• Very niche sweeper, requires a lot of support
  • Outspeeds the entire unboosted metagame after Unburden (even a lot of boosted stuff too Oo)
  • Has various setup options (BD, CM, Cotton Guard) as well as usable bulk + good typing to aid setup
  • Reliant on setup to be remotely threatening; BD has annoying recoil while CM is weak as fuck w/o boosts
  • Only has one shot to sweep so limited synergy w/ team

Belly Drum
########
name: BIG DOG CAKE
move 1: Belly Drum
move 2: Play Rough
move 3: Return
move 4: Substitute
ability: Unburden
item: Sitrus Berry
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly
ivs: 30 HP

Moves
========

• BD + Sitrus + Unburden is a godly combo
  • Play Rough is a nuke at +6
  • Return is accurate
  • Sub is useful to avoid random priority + play around Sucker Punch users and protect from predicted status

Set Details
========
  • Pretty straightforward max / max
  • 30 HP IVs give you an even amount of HP, so Sitrus activates at full after a BD
  • Jolly is necessary to outspeed Scarf Shao, Tini, Flygon, etc
  • Adamant can be used but since you're a late-game cleaner it's usually unnecessary, power difference is useful vs bulkier teams tho

Usage Tips
========
  • Despite its useful array of resistances, try to avoid switching it directly into anything, as you really want to be at maximum health possible
  • Don't set up the moment you have the chance, you only have one shot so time it right
  • Only set up when you know you can sweep or at least pave the way for a teammate
  • It is a rather powerful sweeper in its own right, and can apply considerable pressure to a lot of teams due to limited checks / counters, which can be abused
  • Offensive partners can be played more aggressively

Team Options
========

• Dual screeners / Memento users are extremely useful to aid setup
  • Azelf can bait in Dark-types, set up Screens
  • Duggy traps and weakens Steels and can use Memento
  • Good offensive partners include Fire-types and the Nidos, they eat Steels alive and Fire-types can lure in Hydreigon for Puff to set up on (even Nidos to an extent too)

Calm Mind (pending}
########
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
ability: Unburden
item:
evs:
nature:

Moves
========

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Other Options
########

• SubEndeavor
  • Aromatherapy is useful for setting up on stuff like defensive Mew, also supports team so you aren't complete deadweight early- to mid-game
  • Flamethrower on BD lures and kills Forry
  • Energy Ball because fuk Quagsire
  • Psychic and Surf on CM for Poisons / Fires, respectively
  • Bulky support set w/ Wish + Aroma
  • ChestoRest

Checks & Counters
########

**Steel-types** Mega Aggron, Jirachi, Forry live any hit even at +6 and kill it (Forry has to watch out for Flamethrower though)

**Quagsire** Unaware Quagsire ignores boosts and wears it down

**Hippowdon** Phys def Hippo lives and phazes, though it takes a lot of damage in the process

**Slowbro** Slowbro lives even a +6 Play Rough and can threaten with Scald, while having Regen to continuously check it. Bit shaky though

**Defensive Arcanine** Arc resists Play Rough, weakens it w/ Intimidate, and Flare Blitz + ESpeed kills after BD + Sitrus

**Very fast Scarfers** Scarf Raikou and Azelf can revenge kill it

**Offensive pressure** Pressure it with strong offensive attackers and it won't be able to set up, stacking entry hazards helps a load as well

Last edited:
4- SpA Slurpuff Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Forretress: 312-368 (88.1 - 103.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

I know it isn't boosted by Belly Drum, but being able to get past Forre is pretty significant imo.

Blast

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
4- SpA Slurpuff Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Forretress: 312-368 (88.1 - 103.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

I know it isn't boosted by Belly Drum, but being able to get past Forre is pretty significant imo.
Not a bad option, I put it in Moves for now. I'll get a few more opinions first and then update this

i use slurpluff a lot *-*

i'd say the better way to approach evs 'n such would be to go w/the remaining 4 going to defense and running 30 hp ivs; this puts its final hp stat at a # divisible by 16, allowing it to be brought into sitrus berry range through residual effects more effectively without prior damage (ex: 4 consecutive sr switch-ins, 2 switch-ins to sr+spikes, etc.), giving it the option to better slip into unburden passively should it require to do so. i'd also give a little more consideration to adamant, given that with the exception of victini, most scarfers of that threshold struggle to rk slurpluff with their conventional movesets, and the damage output is significantly better. i don't like that you're stressing to play it conservatively either, since the way i've always played it is as a win condition vs. offense and a breaker vs. more balanced or stall-oriented builds, and in the case of the latter it serves far better value being played rather aggressively. also, this is one of the best 'mons for dual screens offense from my experiences, b/c it has the potency to end games with a single boost (not turn 2 or something, ofc) and the typing to find a window to set up fairly often, but really appreciates that extra insurance such that it could take perhaps a resisted hit and possibly a follow-up priority move.

sub-endeavor is also a p.cool set imo, and pretty solid at setting up sweeps from a moderate amount of solid sweepers, and got better as slowbro keeps taking hits in the role of bulky water-type (hydreigon, atm crawdaunt, etc.), so i'd mention it somewhere. also, arcanine is a solid check to any set lacking surf, so that might be worth mentioning as well. not qc ofc, so take of it what you will *-*

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I realize you're still probably adding stuff, but just some comments:

I'm not sure I really get the point of Flamethrower at all. As you say somewhere else in that set, the Belly Drum set is a late game sweeper. Forretress shouldn't be at full health at all. In addition, I don't really see the point of Aromatherapy at all either. It is incredibly hard to setup, especially when most people see the set coming from a mile away. Of course, you can lure in Hydreigon, but any rational player wouldn't allow you to setup so easily. So the fact that you think you can Aromatherapy, in addition to Belly Drum, is a bit unrealistic. Instead, the only real other option for that move slot is Substitute, which is actually extremely helpful when going against Sucker Punch users. I do not believe Flamethrower or Aromatherapy should be slashed in, at all. You can briefly mention it. Someone should really check the most optimal EV spread, because I'm not really sure you need all that speed. The rest can go into making Slurpuff more bulky. Lastly, you should be running Frustration over Return for Ditto.

Since you only have one set mentioned, I think you should definitely add the Calm Mind variant as a main set. It's actually pretty decent.

I'm not really sure you even need Grass Knot or Protect in the Other Options section. In terms of viability, that's pretty low on the totem poll. Instead, you can probably put Flamethrower and Aromatherapy in this section. I guess you could also put a bulky wish passer here too.

Blast

i use slurpluff a lot *-*

i'd say the better way to approach evs 'n such would be to go w/the remaining 4 going to defense and running 30 hp ivs; this puts its final hp stat at a # divisible by 16, allowing it to be brought into sitrus berry range through residual effects more effectively without prior damage (ex: 4 consecutive sr switch-ins, 2 switch-ins to sr+spikes, etc.), giving it the option to better slip into unburden passively should it require to do so. i'd also give a little more consideration to adamant, given that with the exception of victini, most scarfers of that threshold struggle to rk slurpluff with their conventional movesets, and the damage output is significantly better. i don't like that you're stressing to play it conservatively either, since the way i've always played it is as a win condition vs. offense and a breaker vs. more balanced or stall-oriented builds, and in the case of the latter it serves far better value being played rather aggressively. also, this is one of the best 'mons for dual screens offense from my experiences, b/c it has the potency to end games with a single boost (not turn 2 or something, ofc) and the typing to find a window to set up fairly often, but really appreciates that extra insurance such that it could take perhaps a resisted hit and possibly a follow-up priority move.

sub-endeavor is also a p.cool set imo, and pretty solid at setting up sweeps from a moderate amount of solid sweepers, and got better as slowbro keeps taking hits in the role of bulky water-type (hydreigon, atm crawdaunt, etc.), so i'd mention it somewhere. also, arcanine is a solid check to any set lacking surf, so that might be worth mentioning as well. not qc ofc, so take of it what you will *-*
Yeah 30 IVs + 4 Def is probably better for the reasons you listed, I edited that in. As for Adamant, I'm still not really sold on it--I know most Scarfers in the ~100+ range can't do too objectively much to Slurpuff, but the thing is that none of them have to; factoring in BD recoil as well as damage sustained while setting up it usually won't be that much of a hassle to finish it off with Reckless Shao's HJK or Flygon's EQ or w/e. Gonna keep Jolly unslashed for now, but I'll probably give Adamant a bigger mention when I finish this. Oh and about the conservative thing, I was actually more targeting the fact that you shouldn't switch it directly into attacks despite its good array of resistances, as it really wants to be as much health as possible before it can sweep, probably should've been more clear on that :/ That said I don't think playing ~too~ aggressively with is the most optimal playstyle for Puff, even against stall, as because if you set up too early on in the match you're too easily checked and end up accomplishing much less in the long run. I appreciate the input though, thanks.

Also added SubEndeavor to OO and defensive Arcanine to C&C.
I realize you're still probably adding stuff, but just some comments:

I'm not sure I really get the point of Flamethrower at all. As you say somewhere else in that set, the Belly Drum set is a late game sweeper. Forretress shouldn't be at full health at all. In addition, I don't really see the point of Aromatherapy at all either. It is incredibly hard to setup, especially when most people see the set coming from a mile away. Of course, you can lure in Hydreigon, but any rational player wouldn't allow you to setup so easily. So the fact that you think you can Aromatherapy, in addition to Belly Drum, is a bit unrealistic. Instead, the only real other option for that move slot is Substitute, which is actually extremely helpful when going against Sucker Punch users. I do not believe Flamethrower or Aromatherapy should be slashed in, at all. You can briefly mention it. Someone should really check the most optimal EV spread, because I'm not really sure you need all that speed. The rest can go into making Slurpuff more bulky. Lastly, you should be running Frustration over Return for Ditto.

Since you only have one set mentioned, I think you should definitely add the Calm Mind variant as a main set. It's actually pretty decent.

I'm not really sure you even need Grass Knot or Protect in the Other Options section. In terms of viability, that's pretty low on the totem poll. Instead, you can probably put Flamethrower and Aromatherapy in this section. I guess you could also put a bulky wish passer here too.
I have no issues with Sub in the fourth slot, like I said I never used Aroma anyway so I'm fine with ditching it. Though max Speed investment is pretty important imo, like I said above Jolly is important for outspeeding Scarfers and ultimately I think that comes into play more than a few extra HP to make setting up marginally easier. Also Frustration is pointless since Ditto doesn't copy Unburden, so I left that.

edit: Oh yeah and I'll test a CM set too (though admittedly it doesn't seem that great on paper, but I'll try to be more open-minded)

I'm on irc actually rn so if you disagree we can talk about it there :o

Last edited:

Blast

Just bumping to say I'm done with everything but the CM set, probably gonna need some opinions on the moves / EVs and such

Ok i guess i'll be the set guy since i've done basically every other analysis rofl

There's two potential CM sets, an offensive one and a more bulky one

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 SAtk / 188 Spd / 68 HP
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Cotton Guard
- Draining Kiss
- Flamethrower / Substitute

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 188 Spd / 244 HP / 76 Def
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Cotton Guard
- Draining Kiss
- Substitute

Obviously first one is more offensive, second one is far more defensively orientated. Speed allows outspeeding of Base 100 scarfers and below after Unburden activates, even HP number for both. Basically, you can be more offensive and have to rely less on trappers like Dugtrio helping out or you can have a set where if you can remove Steels, poisons, fires ;Slurpuff will be having a field day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)