Battle Spot Singles Celesteela team

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Hi everyone! I joined the Smogon community a few months ago and it has been great! I unfortunately haven't been much active on the forum, though. But I decided to try and change that with an RMT. This is a team that has worked well for me in the pre-bank BSS meta. I decided to share it before Bank comes out and it fades into oblivion. So let's get to it!

Proof of peak:

Proof of peak.png
Proof of peak on cart.png
I'm tfazumarill and the non-Japanese guy on the PGL

115Kangaskhan_Mega_Dream.png

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Crush Claw
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Kangaskhan is still a very powerful threat even with the Parental Bond nerf. The spread is very standard, max attack with an Adamant nature lets you hit as hard as possible, and with the slow Pokémon in the meta right now, I think that a Jolly nature is not that necessary. Max speed lets you outspeed Adamant Mimikyu, Adamant/Modest Arcanine, Modest Tapu Lele and Modest Hydreigon. When I first created the team, Crush Claw wasn't as known as it is now, but it's still a little unprepared for. Earthquake hits Steel-types not named Celesteela and hits Alolan Marowak. Fake Out and Sucker Punch provide much needed priority and can get the chip damage you need for a teammate to take out a Pokémon.

785Tapu_Koko_Dream.png

Tapu Koko @ Electric Seed
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 192 HP / 20 Def / 116 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam

This is a Pokémon that i put on my team when Gyarados was much more common. This spread lets it survive a +1 EQ from Jolly Mega Gyarados 87.5% of the time even without the +1 Defense. It also survives EQ from +1 Adamant Mega Salamence, Adamant Life Orb Mamoswine and Scarf Chomp. With 180 speed EVs and a Timid nature you outspeed max speed base 120's such as Salamence. The rest is put into SpAtk to hit as hard as possible, but don't expect to KO a lot without Calm Mind, this Tapu Koko is meant to take some hits, Calm Mind to take special hits better and Roost off the damage.

Defensive Calcs:
+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Earthquake vs. +1 192 HP / 20 Def Tapu Koko: 146-172 (45.4 - 53.5%) -- 34.4% chance to 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Salamence-Mega Earthquake vs. +1 192 HP / 20 Def Tapu Koko: 152-180 (47.3 - 56%) -- 79.3% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. +1 192 HP / 20 Def Tapu Koko: 182-218 (56.6 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. +1 192 HP / 20 Def Tapu Koko: 128-152 (39.8 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Lucario-Mega Earthquake vs. +1 192 HP / 20 Def Tapu Koko: 184-218 (57.3 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Adaptability Lucario-Mega Bullet Punch vs. +1 192 HP / 20 Def Tapu Koko: 74-88 (23 - 27.4%) -- 54.3% chance to 4HKO

089Muk_Alola_Dream.png

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Shadow Sneak
- Brick Break

AV Muk is my Tapu Lele check, stopping the Psychic spam and it can take Moonblasts pretty well. While this Muk can take special hits from most Pokémon, Specs mons still give it trouble, and it can't take on Nasty Plot Lucario.
The first three moves are very standard, Knock Off gets rid of the opposing pokémon's item if it's not a Megastone or Z-Crystal, Gunk Shot hits hard and has its own chance to poison (since its not a contact move), Shadow Sneak picks off weakened targets, and Brick Break provides some Fighting coverage, while also destroying Aurora Veil and Screens.

797Celesteela_Dream.png

Celesteela @ Firium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 140 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon

Now, the star of the team! This is a very strange Celesteela spread that I've been using. You must be thinking that I'm insane, and I probably am.
Max HP helps you take hits better, and you need it, since Celesteela isn't very bulky without investment.
116 Speed outpaces no speed Scizor, but you can use 148 speed if Buzzwole is a concern for you.
The rest go into SpAtk. With a Modest nature, you get a Special Attack boost after a Beast Boost, which is needed because Celesteela is kinda weak without them.
This set is meant to be similar to the standard annoying set, while at the same killing Magnezone and opposing Celesteela if needed.

Offensive calcs:
140+ SpA Celesteela Inferno Overdrive vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Assault Vest Magnezone: 124-146 (70 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
140+ SpA Celesteela Inferno Overdrive vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Celesteela: 182-216 (89.2 - 105.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
140+ SpA Celesteela Inferno Overdrive vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 132-156 (79 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
140+ SpA Celesteela Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lucario-Mega: 146-172 (100.6 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
140+ SpA Celesteela Flash Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 108-128 (73.9 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

473Mamoswine_Dream.png

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant/Naughty Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb/Freeze-Dry

Sash Mamoswine is a great revenge killer or lead, being able to put a lot of pressure on the other team.
I'm using a +Attack nature because Mamoswine isn't fast enough to outspeed things such as Xurkitree, Tapu Lele, Arcanine and Mimikyu, so I went with more power.
Ice Shard offers priority and is great for Dragons, like Salamence and Garchomp.
Icicle Spear breaks Mimikyu's Disguise and deals damage after it, and is also good for Sashes and Substitutes.
Earthquake rounds really well with Ice STAB, with many things that take one not liking the other.
The last move can be either Rock Tomb for utility, and ensuring that Gyarados doesn't get Speed boosts with Dragon Dance; or Freeze-Dry to hit Gastrodon and Ballon Lanturn harder, and also doing about 40% to Cloyster before it Shell Smashes and destroys my team. gives me trouble.
233Porygon2_Dream.png

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 220 Def / 44 SpD
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic

This team couldn't be ready without BSS' best wall: Porygon2!
244 HP and 44 SpD ensure that I can take two Modest Tapu Lele Psychics, and the rest go to Defense.
The moves are pretty straightforward: Discharge for the paralysis chance, Ice Beam for the BoltBeam combo, Recover to get HP back (well, duh) and Toxic help me with sturdier pokémon that refuse to go down.

And that's it. I hope that you enjoy the team!

Importable​
Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Crush Claw
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Tapu Koko @ Electric Seed
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 192 HP / 20 Def / 116 SpA / 180 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Shadow Sneak
- Brick Break

Celesteela @ Firium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 140 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 220 Def / 44 SpD
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic

Edit: Screwed up Tapu Koko's calcs, I forgot to put the +1 Def from the Electric Seed.

Last edited:
Team looks pretty solid so I don't have too much to add.

Firstly I think Double-Edge is a better option over Crush Claw. I get that Crush Claw has a lot of snowball potential with the def drops but DE is much more consistent and much better at picking up KOs on the initial hit, which will allow you to revenge kill a lot more things if you ever need to.

On Mamo I think Stealth Rock would be good in your last moveslot. I feel like Freeze Dry is a little too niche, and Rock Tomb is nice but i dont feel like its too necessary on Mamo. Your team has a lot of bulky stuff that you can pivot around from, so I can definitely see you being able to force switches from your opponents pretty often and stealth rock is great in those games. Rocks would also help your Koko sweep, especially after making your opp switch around earlier in the match. Rocks will do enough damage to things like mence, and break Sash from Chomp so koko can pick them off without trouble at +1.

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
Team looks pretty solid so I don't have too much to add.

Firstly I think Double-Edge is a better option over Crush Claw. I get that Crush Claw has a lot of snowball potential with the def drops but DE is much more consistent and much better at picking up KOs on the initial hit, which will allow you to revenge kill a lot more things if you ever need to.

On Mamo I think Stealth Rock would be good in your last moveslot. I feel like Freeze Dry is a little too niche, and Rock Tomb is nice but i dont feel like its too necessary on Mamo. Your team has a lot of bulky stuff that you can pivot around from, so I can definitely see you being able to force switches from your opponents pretty often and stealth rock is great in those games. Rocks would also help your Koko sweep, especially after making your opp switch around earlier in the match. Rocks will do enough damage to things like mence, and break Sash from Chomp so koko can pick them off without trouble at +1.
Thank you for your feedback! I'll try out the team with the changes you suggested!

Welcome in the community dude!
Your team looks pretty cool, and i really like A LOT the Koko's set.

I'll start off by saying that i agree with what Noved said. With Parental Bond nerf, Double-Edge should be always taken on Mega Kangaskhan imo.
Stealth Rock on Mamo is great so you should definitely try it, even if i do like Freeze-Dry on it, for example it helps a lot vs Rain cores, OHKOing Pelipper, and revenge killing it if it's running Sash, and taking out Kingdra with that plus Ice Shard.
4 SpA Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kingdra: 132-156 (88 - 104%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
4 SpA Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Pelipper: 168-196 (100.5 - 117.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Even so i think too that Stealth Rock is better for your team on Mamoswine.
Anyway, at first glance your team looks weak to the Physical Mega Lucario, specially the SD set that is actually not that unpopular right now, and i feel that Sash Mamo and your Celesteela could not be enough to handle it.
Slowbro can deal with it pretty well. Imo you should try it over p2. It's true that you would lose a top tier mon that can alone deal with dragon-types in general and the two most popular mega in the meta right now, Mence and Gyarados, but it's also true that even Slowbro can deal with those, with the exception of Gyarados who is taken out by Koko, while not only giving you a strong answer to Physical Mega Lucario, but also a handy switch in for Kanga into Fighting-type attacks and for Celesteela into Fire-type attacks. Slowbro would also give your team a better answer to opposing Mega Kang, since your Celesteela is not that invested in physical defense and could be threatened by the combination of Crush Claw and DE/Rock Slide.

@ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast / Toxic / Trick Room / Hidden Power Electric
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off

Last edited:

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
Welcome in the community dude!
Your team looks pretty cool, and i really like A LOT the Koko's set.

I'll start off by saying that i agree with what Noved said. With Parental Bond nerf, Double-Edge should be always taken on Mega Kangaskhan imo.
Stealth Rock on Mamo is great so you should definitely try it, even if i do like Freeze-Dry on it, for example it helps a lot vs Rain cores, OHKOing Pelipper, and revenge killing it if it's running Sash, and taking out Kingdra with that plus Ice Shard.
4 SpA Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kingdra: 132-156 (88 - 104%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
4 SpA Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Pelipper: 168-196 (100.5 - 117.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Even so i think too that Stealth Rock is better for your team on Mamoswine.
Anyway, at first glance your team looks weak to the Physical Mega Lucario, specially the SD set that is actually not that unpopular right now, and i feel that Sash Mamo and your Celesteela could not be enough to handle it.
Slowbro can deal with it pretty well. Imo you should try it over p2. It's true that you would lose a top tier mon that can alone deal with dragon-types in general and the two most popular mega in the meta right now, Mence and Gyarados, but it's also true that even Slowbro can deal with those, with the exception of Gyarados who is taken out by Koko, while not only giving you a strong answer to Physical Mega Lucario, but also a handy switch in for Kanga into Fighting-type attacks and for Celesteela into Fire-type attacks. Slowbro would also give your team a better answer to opposing Mega Kang, since your Celesteela is not that invested in physical defense and could be threatened by the combination of Crush Claw and DE/Rock Slide.

@ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast / Toxic / Trick Room / Hidden Power Electric
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off
Thank you for the warm welcome and your feedback!
As you pointed out, I really struggle with SD Mega Lucario. Most of the time I rely on Mamo's sash to beat it, though Koko can take it on most of the time, or at least put it in Fake Out range if it's Adamant (+2 252 Atk Adaptability Lucario-Mega Bullet Punch vs. +1 192 HP / 20 Def Tapu Koko: 74-88 (43.7 - 52%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO / 116 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lucario-Mega: 109-130 (75.1 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)
I really like your ideia of using Slowbro, it has the physical bulk I need, learns Fire moves for Celesteela, and can kinda fit P2's role well in the team. I'll definitely try it out sometime!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah Crush Claw (aka the poor gen 7 man's Power-Up Punch) is a bit of a bad gimmick at the moment. I've seen a lot of people using it and it just seems to be too weak, and it's entirely likely that you won't get a defensive drop at all on any given turn and then you'll just wish you used Double-Edge. Or hell even Return...

Also agreeing with NOVED on Stealth Rock. That last slot on your Mamo really just looks like filler options at the moment, so why not use the ultimate filler move? Both Kangaskhan and Tapu Koko appreciate chip damage to help pick up KOes, and Celesteela forces a lot of switches on its own so I think it would work well for you.

I'm wondering how you beat Lucario teams though. Sash Mamo is a great panic button for it but it means sacking something to get Mamo in safely with its Sash intact (unless you predict a Swords Dance). Koko isn't terrible either but still pretty shaky. Lucario is so good in the current metagame that I think it needs an actual answer rather than two things that can beat it if the conditions are just right. I think you should actually consider dropping Mega Kangaskhan for Mega Salamence, Mence has great synergy with Tapu Koko and Porygon2, has Intimidate and greater speed than Mega Lucario for beating that, and doesn't compound Normal-types on your team. There are a million good Mence sets that you could use but it's probably best to keep it simple to start with if you haven't used it much before.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost / Substitute / Facade / Fire Blast

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
Yeah Crush Claw (aka the poor gen 7 man's Power-Up Punch) is a bit of a bad gimmick at the moment. I've seen a lot of people using it and it just seems to be too weak, and it's entirely likely that you won't get a defensive drop at all on any given turn and then you'll just wish you used Double-Edge. Or hell even Return...

Also agreeing with NOVED on Stealth Rock. That last slot on your Mamo really just looks like filler options at the moment, so why not use the ultimate filler move? Both Kangaskhan and Tapu Koko appreciate chip damage to help pick up KOes, and Celesteela forces a lot of switches on its own so I think it would work well for you.

I'm wondering how you beat Lucario teams though. Sash Mamo is a great panic button for it but it means sacking something to get Mamo in safely with its Sash intact (unless you predict a Swords Dance). Koko isn't terrible either but still pretty shaky. Lucario is so good in the current metagame that I think it needs an actual answer rather than two things that can beat it if the conditions are just right. I think you should actually consider dropping Mega Kangaskhan for Mega Salamence, Mence has great synergy with Tapu Koko and Porygon2, has Intimidate and greater speed than Mega Lucario for beating that, and doesn't compound Normal-types on your team. There are a million good Mence sets that you could use but it's probably best to keep it simple to start with if you haven't used it much before.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost / Substitute / Facade / Fire Blast
Thank you for your feedback!
I didn't really thought of a last move on Mamo, so I was using what was available to me. Thank you all for suggesting Stealth Rock! The chip damage it gets helps my mons a lot.
My team doesn't have much for Mega Lucario right now, but I haven't seen a lot of them in the in-game low ladder (most people there are using either Gyarados or Salamence) but now that I moved out of it they're becoming more common.
Thank you for suggesting Mega Salamence! I really wanted to test out Mega Kang on the new meta, but while it's still solid, it's not as good as in OR/AS. I'll definitely consider using Mega Mence. I didn't use it much in Sun/Moon, but I'll find a set that works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)