SM OU Simple sticky web team

Hi everyone, I am pretty new to Smogon so forgive if I do anything wrong. I always liked sticky web teams as It gives slower Pokemon a chance to shine too. Now, the team!

Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Moonblast
- Stun Spore
- Quiver Dance

Pretty standard sticky web setter. In my opinion is ribombee the best sticky web setter at the moment. It can set up, annoy stuff with stun spore and hit hard with quiver Dance + moonblast. Downside is that you have only one offensive move. Shield dust is also a good ability as is stops fake out users.

Manaphy @ Wacan Berry / leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Tail Glow
- Ice Beam
- dazzeling gleam

One of my favourite Pokemon. I am now experimenting with Wacan berry and leftovers, as Pokemon like tapu Koko often OHKO it. Manaphy’s main problem is it’s speed, but with sticky web up, that’s no problem. Surf over scald as i like the extra damage. Tail grow and ice beam are obvious and dazzeling gleam is for kyurem-b. The ev’s ensure that is this as hard as possible

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

My stealth rock setter and rapid spinner. A problem with this team was that other trainers use the time I need to set up sticky web to set up their own hazards. Exadrill solves this problem. Focus slash makes sure I can at least use rapid spin, iron head and earthquake can hit a lot of pokemon for neural damage. The ev’s are to hit as hard as possible

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Glare
- Substitute

Standard Serperior. Serperior’s main problem is speed. This gets solved with sticky web. I try switching it in to Defoggers as I like the boost. It also helps against other sticky web teams. Leaf storm is for the boost, HP fire is coverage. Start with glare and then spam substitute until jou get a free one.

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Ice Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Bullet Punch

Medicham-m is a strong sweeper. Ice punch and high jump kick can hit lots of Pokemon for at least neutral damage. With two moves that mostly go first it’s very hard to kill. Pure power is a amazing ability that doubles jour attack. It tried bisharp but Medicham is just better.
With those ev’s it hits Very hard and fast

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery dance
- Roost

Bulky Volcarona. With quiver dance, it gets both a speed and sp attack boost so that’s useful. Roost helps him to stay healthy, bug buzz and fiery dance are good STAB moves. I prefer fiery dance over flamethrower as I like the boost it gives you. Savage spin out is also very powerful with a boost. Flame body is an not the best ability, but it’s okay

I did like to read your feedback!

737373elj

Banned deucer.
I generally think Sticky Web is for slow mons... your mons are so fast, they don’t really need Sticky Webs

I concur with the post above on your team not really needing sticky webs for this team, except for maybe Manaphy. That said, I kind of like the hyper offense vibe the team has. In theory, there are a few changes you could make IF you wanted to convert the team away from the sticky web side. However, this isn't necessary. It's simply an option I want to present to you.

1. You could replace Ribombee with a sand storm setter like Tyranitar instead to help Excadrill and also get a stealth rocker out of it. Then you could change stealth rock on Excadrill to Swords Dance or a coverage move and give it Life Orb instead. While sandstorm doesn't synergize with the rest of your team that well, it also probably doesn't matter too much since it's so offensive.

2. You could replace Manaphy with a faster Wall Breaker like Ash-Greninja, since it is the only mon here that truly needs webs.

3. Serperior can be sped up with a scarf set. This makes it a bit less versatile and needs more support. But with how much offense your team has, it's probably ok since you can likely punch enough holes for it anyway.

4. You could change one of your mons to a physical set. Normally in offensive teams, it's best to have a 3/3 split between special attackers. You currently have 4 special attackers and only two physical ones. One potential option that stood out to me is to replace Serperior with Kartana. However, that probably wouldn't be necessary if you replace Ribombee with a sand setting that is likely physical.

5. Your team lacks a defogger, which is particularly important for Volcorona. While the Excadrill set has rapid spin, there will probably be times where it will be spin blocked or you want to preserve that for sweeping potential and you might want better option to secure more hazard remobval.

Major Changes:

1. Ribombee ---> Tyranitar

Tyranitar @ Life Orb or Aguav Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

This gives you sand support for Excadrill, but not too much since the rest of your team doesn't fit that. Life Orb is it makes Tyranitar hit harder as a Pursuit trapper. Most of those set run Choice Band, but this doesn't work if you want rocks. So you can either go Life Orb for the power or get a healing item for a bit more longevity. My first instinct was that I felt life orb was a better fit given the offensive nature of your team. However, I haven't actually tested this on your team so take it with a grain of salt. It could be that the power doesn't due much and you are better off with the healing.

A Dragon Dance set is also viable. But that's primarily a Mega set and you already have one.

2. Manaphy ---> Ash-Greninja

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn/Spikes

Again, main reason for this is simply to to replace Manaphy with a faster water type. This would only be necessary if you plan on getting away from webs. U Turn can be used for momentum. You can also use spikes if you have feel like you want extreme hazard control. It's probably not necessary on your particular team but it can work. Spikes can also be an option if you want to change the Tyranitar set to something else without stealth rock like Choice Band or Assault Vest. Not sure it's worth it, though.

Minor Changes:

1. Serperior: Leftover ---> Choice Scarf

Serperior @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This set is made to just be faster without web support. The choice set makes substitute useless so I put in defog. Also, it might be good to secure for Volcarona sometimes.

2. Excadrill: Focus Sash ---> Life Orb

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

This is just to make it a more focused sand sweeper. Keep in mind that this is only worth it if you add the sand stream pokemon instead of the sticky web setter. But if you do, it makes Excadrill that much more dangerous. A lot of modern Sand Sweeper sets use Steelium Z, but you already had the Z move on Volcorona. I've used more old school Life Orb sets in the past and they hit like a truck. So in theory, this should be good.

HOWEVER, this also may not be necessary. I want to be very clear that you can stick with webs here if you really want. I do like you going out of the box and using Manaphy on a non rain team. And the webs can work for other things so it's not necessarily a bad thing to just stick with them. If you want to keep webs and only wish for minor changes, I recommend just ignoring my above recommendations and simply changing one of your special attackers to a physical one so you have an even 3/3 split for special and physical attackers.

And if you feel all you needed is another physical attacker, then the one that sticks out to me is you could simply replace Serperior with a physical grass type like Kartana or choice band Tapu Bulu. I have not tested Tapu Bulu under sticky web so I don't know if it's any more viable than on a regular team. I mention it because the Choice Band set on Bulu hits like a truck and it would be interesting to see if it would significantly benefit from sticky web. But keep mind that would actually have to be tested.

Hey, this team as is isn’t bad but could use some fixes. Mainly doing this cause these two are giving you misinformation and or just changing the team altogether (which isn’t the point of an RMT btw).

Major Changes:

Medicham—-> Pinsir

This change gives a speedier Pokemon so you’re less reliant on Webs and can clean through way more teams thanks to the Webs slowing down its main revenge killers in Tapu Koko and Ash Greninja. It also gives a better matchup vs fat teams with things like Reuniclus and Mega Latias. It also brings a much needed Ground immunity which you lacked before.

Volcarona —-> Kommo-o

Since we’re dropping Mega Medicham, Kommo-o can now be put on the team feasibly as a way to break Steels and it brings a boosting sweeper that can use webs to outspeed all grounded Choice Scarf users after its z move or a Dragon Dance. It can even get both thanks to its z move giving it a defensive boost which eases setup. It also brings a sturdier Ash Greninja check and Water resist in general should the Webs go down which us pivotal for the rain matchup. Also, Volcarona and Mega Pinsir together would make you so Rocks weak even a team like this couldn’t keep Rocks off easily enough.

Manaphy —-> Magearna

This change brings a much needed Flying, Psychic, and Fairy resist who can also now utilize a Modest nature on its Shift Gear + Calm Mind sets since the groubded Choice Scarf users that would outspeed it, like Kartana will no longer outspeed. Figi Berry eases setup quite a bit although Shuca Berry can be used if getting easier setup on Ground-types and Mega Latios is a more appealing prospect for you. Flash Cannon + Thunderbolt backed up by Calm Mind can hit pretty much everything you need it to (namely Toxapex and gets good neutral coverage) while Pokemon that can take it, namely Ferrothorn get covered by teammates.

Threatlist:
Rain: Although the matchup can be maneuvered around between Serperior and Kommo-o, rain can absolutely slam you thanks to Mega Swampert still outspeeding everything even with webs up, Ash Greninja having supped up priority, and Tornadus-T or Pelipper being able to Defog away the Webs. Force as much offensive pressure between Serperior and Kommo-o as possible and try getting things glared with Serperior.

/
Mega Lati@s: These are both immune to Webs, outspeed everything unboosted naturally, and have good bulk and typing that make them unable to be broken through by anything other than Pinsir and Kommo-o. Latios can tear apart everything with its coverage whereas Latias can Calm Mind to become virtually unkillable. Try getting them glared with Serperior so Kommo-o and Pinsir can revenge kill them and or get Magearna in safely so it can Shift Gear then Calm Mind twice to attempt to clean through. However, the Magearna route only works if the Latias isn’t Stored Power.

Import: https://pokepast.es/7236f5b450d6f712

Hope you consider these ideas and hope I helped!

Attachments

Last edited:
You changed his team more than I did in both the scenarios I gave. I'm guessing you had good intentions but still...
You made it not even webs, sorry I actually gave him what he wanted. Not to mention you gave him a garbage Tyranitar set and made his Excadrill Life Orb even though Excadrill really only runs Z Steel, Z Normal, or Leftovers. When I say you changed way too much, I mean you made his team style completely different from what he was going for. Just because I changed one less Pokemon than you doesn’t mean you changed less.

Last edited:
You made it not even webs, sorry I actually gave him what he wanted.
Did you really, though? You swapped out half his team members, including the one he seemed to imply he made his team a webs team for in the first place with Manaphy. (Read his description on Manaphy closely.) I gave him two possible options in that comment. The first was a transition to not webs in case he was interested, since I felt most of the rest of his team outside of Manaphy didn't need webs. The second was keeping it a web team with Manaphy and just replacing one of his special attackers with a physical attacker since he doesn't have a 3/3 split between physical and special. I'm pretty sure they can figure out what direction they want to take it in from here.

If he prefers your options then that's fine, too. I don't mind at all that you tried to be helpful here. It's probably good if he has multiple options to choose from. I won't be speaking on the matter any more so as not to derail the thread. This has already probably gone a bit too far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)