Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

njnp mentioned a desire to have an OU test ladder to rapidly test and evaluate meta changes without the amount of time and effort of a suspect, similar to the no Mega-ladder from XY. Is the OU-test kitchen a pipe dream or something we could expect in the future?

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
What do you consider to be a good ladder rating? I recently got to 1600 exp and I think it’s pretty good. How much higher should I strive to climb to actually be good?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
What do you consider to be a good ladder rating? I recently got to 1600 exp and I think it’s pretty good. How much higher should I strive to climb to actually be good?
Gennerally, the upper ladder is considered to be 1700+ ELO.
1800/1850+ is a better indicator. 1700 in my past experiences being in that area isn't that great and by the 1850+ mark you start getting paired up with higher level opps more easily. 1700 has always been more mid ladder to me than anything.

As far as the first part goes to Fanyfans last point I wouldn't use ladder as an indicator of being "good" unless you have laddered consistently for a couple of months / years and have a 90+ GXE to show for it. Your GXE is going to be a better indicator of your consistency over a longer period of time than what any ELO rating represents. Look at the ladder and all of the people at the top that you know have been doing this for awhile and there's a good chance the consistent ladders who win regularly are in the 90+ GXE region. 1600 is pretty light but again GXE is going to be a better representation of how you do on ladder.

How do we feel about Hippodon? I realize that it most directly competes with Landorus-T so it's sort of tough to justify in OU but I wanted to try and build with it because of the ability to eat HP Ices and reliable recovery. Does it lose to anything that defensive Lando beats? Being weak to Tspikes sucks...

How do we feel about Hippodon? I realize that it most directly competes with Landorus-T so it's sort of tough to justify in OU but I wanted to try and build with it because of the ability to eat HP Ices and reliable recovery. Does it lose to anything that defensive Lando beats? Being weak to Tspikes sucks...
If all you want is bulk Hippowdon does have more and a reliable recovery, but it loses intimidate, power, speed and other utility so it is much worse, but if you want to use it, it has its niches, mainly in access to sand stream and being a better drill teammate.

I just got Ultra Sun, and while looking at Mega Mawile on this site, I decided that I wanted to make a Trick Room team to help with it's low speed stat. Any tips for a team I can get for it? Preferably Pokemon available to get during the main story without trading or Pokebank.

I just got Ultra Sun, and while looking at Mega Mawile on this site, I decided that I wanted to make a Trick Room team to help with it's low speed stat. Any tips for a team I can get for it? Preferably Pokemon available to get during the main story without trading or Pokebank.
The OU subforum (the board you're posting in) pertains to Smogon's OU metagame---something played primarily on a simulator (where editing teams is as simple as changing text). If you want to make a trick room team with Mega Mawile for general in-game purposes, I don't think you could really go wrong with much given how in-game works.

If I had to suggest something, I would say getting something with U-turn and Trick Room would be a good start. You can setup Trick Room then U-turn out into Mawile so you can bring it in safely (depending on the users speed relative to the opposing 'mon).

Here's a list of stuff that learns both TR and U-turn:

For future reference, if you want to talk about in-game stuff, you'll want to visit the Orange Islands boards.

The OU subforum (the board you're posting in) pertains to Smogon's OU metagame---something played primarily on a simulator (where editing teams is as simple as changing text). If you want to make a trick room team with Mega Mawile for general in-game purposes, I don't think you could really go wrong with much given how in-game works.

If I had to suggest something, I would say getting something with U-turn and Trick Room would be a good start. You can setup Trick Room then U-turn out into Mawile so you can bring it in safely (depending on the users speed relative to the opposing 'mon).

Here's a list of stuff that learns both TR and U-turn:

For future reference, if you want to talk about in-game stuff, you'll want to visit the Orange Islands boards.
Thanks, and sorry. I'm new to forums in general.

Can someone explain the basics of OU playstyles? This is what I think I know so far:

Bulky offense: teams that carry lots of all-out attackers that maintains momentum by switching into attacks and using moves like stealth rock and u-turn and uses momentum to attack and to pressure opponents into not doing their job properly
Balanced: teams that carry both sweepers and walls and use walls for switching into attacks and sweepers when they get momentum
Stall: teams that carry lots of walls (and often a tank with an attack-raising move) that switch into attacks while wearing down opponents with hazards or status ailments
Hyper offense: teams that carry lots of setup sweepers (and often a suicide lead) and sweep opposing teams while using offensive pressure to prevent opposing Pokemon from doing their job

Can someone explain the basics of OU playstyles? This is what I think I know so far:

Bulky offense: teams that carry lots of all-out attackers that maintains momentum by switching into attacks and using moves like stealth rock and u-turn and uses momentum to attack and to pressure opponents into not doing their job properly
Balanced: teams that carry both sweepers and walls and use walls for switching into attacks and sweepers when they get momentum
Stall: teams that carry lots of walls (and often a tank with an attack-raising move) that switch into attacks while wearing down opponents with hazards or status ailments
Hyper offense: teams that carry lots of setup sweepers (and often a suicide lead) and sweep opposing teams while using offensive pressure to prevent opposing Pokemon from doing their job
Those are just about the main ones you got there. The main things to note are that BO isn't just all out attackers but just any offensive mons, and there are some others like rain, veil, webs and trick, but these aren't used as much and are much more limited, and also most playstyles are a little more broad than just what you wrote. If you need more info on different playstyles, I would suggest checking the playstyle analysis at http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/usum-playstyle-analysis.3621912/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)